Thoughts on first QM2 and Princess Grill experience

Windsurfboy

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well; you can do so at: Write a Review"

Windsurfboy was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Feeling lucky to have made it back to  Southampton,  thoughts on my first QM2 and PG experience. 

QG was fully booked for Capetown to Southampton,  all booked in first hour. Anyway were very pleasantly surprised by QM2 PG cabin, had just as much usable space as Q.V. or QE so called penthouses(Q3 or Q4) .

-Clothes hanging space amazing,  wife had walk in wardrobe to herself, I had 4 single wardrobes to myself.

-PG service was excellent although some days even with a la carte found menu boring.

So I  agree that PG is the sweet spot in terms of service and value. QG is an indulgence,  however if you can afford it then indulging yourself is always a good idea. We shall continue with QG, but perhaps if there were more real speciality restaurants would be very happy with PG.

As for the QM2 it's one and only plus point is its ride , you just don't feel the waves.

Apart from this I was disappointed.

-The queens room was like the black hole of Calcutta , it had no atmosphere , never busy enough to be a grand ballroom.

-The grills lounge and deck was to small. No view from the grills restaurants.

-The grand atrium by Pursers desk was not useful for anything.

-Commodore club too small.

-The nicest lounge was Carpenthia, pity it was dress down.

-At night you couldn't go forward from grills restaurants on deck 7 had to go outside.

So I'm clearly in the camp that believe Q.V. and QE are better designed ships, Queen Anne also looks to have a more well thought out layout.

So in am clearly not in the camp that you haven't experienced the best of Cunard if you haven't been on QM2.

One thing staff on all 3 ships are equally great

• Like 2

How did you find the PG bathroom? That is one of the selling points for my decision to move up to PG in upcoming Crossing. That along with bigger room and the promise of higher level of food. 

We agree that PG is the sweet spot, value but a step up and more space.  We like the real estate.

For me, the deck plans of the QM2 are a challenge.  After dozens of times aboard, I still get lost.  But that is part of the pleasure for me.  The space is quirky, weird.  I love finding the little nooks and crannies.  Not efficient or transparent, but lovely and fun.  I find it a far superior ship to the QE and QV, which to me come across as just mass market cruise ships.  IMHO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tv24 said:

We agree that PG is the sweet spot, value but a step up and more space.  We like the real estate.

For me, the deck plans of the QM2 are a challenge.  After dozens of times aboard, I still get lost.  But that is part of the pleasure for me.  The space is quirky, weird.  I love finding the little nooks and crannies.  Not efficient or transparent, but lovely and fun.  I find it a far superior ship to the QE and QV, which to me come across as just mass market cruise ships.  IMHO.

We too love and enjoy and will book PG in the future after experiencing it for the first time last September. Yes we did like BC as a pre grill experience in the past but taken to PG.

We do not find the deck plan of the QM2 difficult. Actually not that we need it but we look at the deck plan during the month before a sailing just to remind us.

Actually every time we board her at Brooklyn, venturing up the two gangways, entering the ship we feel like we just got off yesterday. It all comes back to us. It's like returning to a second home.

Yes she does have pathways not like now a days Mega ship also like those nooks and crannies.

Nice conversing with you! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NE John said:

How did you find the PG bathroom? That is one of the selling points for my decision to move up to PG in upcoming Crossing. That along with bigger room and the promise of higher level of food. 

QM2's PG cabins have a very nice "head".  Having a bath is nice - Mrs sfred particularly likes the soaking experience.  My only concern is stepping out of the shower-over-bath.  The bath is deep and therefore the wall of the bath can be a challenge to step over.  I'm comparatively fit and active, but still always feel like I'm going to slip.

Like @tv24, I love QM2's quirks.  A traditional habit of mine when aboard is roaming the ship in the very early morning when many are still asleep, and then watching the sunrise from outside with a cup of coffee.  QM2 has so many interesting nooks and detours which make the walks consistently interesting.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sfred said:

QM2's PG cabins have a very nice "head".  Having a bath is nice - Mrs sfred particularly likes the soaking experience.  My only concern is stepping out of the shower-over-bath.  The bath is deep and therefore the wall of the bath can be a challenge to step over.  I'm comparatively fit and active, but still always feel like I'm going to slip.

Like @tv24, I love QM2's quirks.  A traditional habit of mine when aboard is roaming the ship in the very early morning when many are still asleep, and then watching the sunrise from outside with a cup of coffee.  QM2 has so many interesting nooks and detours which make the walks consistently interesting.

sfred,

I think everyone will agree the area around the Illuminations Theater on Deck 2. Around the sides near Connexions to the Computer Room where the Ships what I call the Plaque Room from Ports Around The World.

Also Deck 3 around the Illuminations from Port Side to Starboard where the Gallery of Stars who sailed in the past.

Deck 3 to the Queens Room thru the Art Gallery and also the Secret Corridor of Solo Cabins

Just to name a few..... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NE John said:

I would classify bathroom as adequate,  shower is  over bath but easy to get in and out. Bath is small, Short and narrow.  I have 34 inch waist and found it a squeeze.

I think better cabin , food and service is more read on for PG.

• Like 1

Thank you @Windsurfboy for sharing your thoughts on the QM2 and Princess Grill. We’ve done a couple of cruises on this ship but not in that grade of cabin, so it’s good to read your positive feedback.

We’ve done rather more cruises on QV and QE and are familiar with the Princess Grills on those ships and to be honest have found the cabins, as the ships age, rather tired and dated looking, including their bathrooms. 

The QM2 is a very impressive ship, certainly from its exterior, but in reality may be a bit of a Curate’s Egg for some of its passengers! 🤔

BTW can I ask who was the Captain on this voyage? 

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

At night you couldn't go forward from grills restaurants on deck 7 had to go outside.

I also found the total blockage of deck 7 forward of the Grills restaurants somewhat annoying. However, our choice was to go up one floor to deck 8, walk forward as necessary, the return to the lower deck(s). Had a few nights of weather too nasty for open deck walking. 

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I also found the total blockage of deck 7 forward of the Grills restaurants somewhat annoying. However, our choice was to go up one floor to deck 8, walk forward as necessary, the return to the lower deck(s). Had a few nights of weather too nasty for open deck walking. 

I have two future crossings on QM2.

What exactly do you mean deck 7 is blocked?

People must walk outside in order to go from aft toward front of ship when on deck 7? Seriously?

What's up with that?

2 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I have two future crossings on QM2.

What exactly do you mean deck 7 is blocked?

People must walk outside in order to go from aft toward front of ship when on deck 7? Seriously?

What's up with that?

Being on the QM2 for 17 years, I never had a blockage of the Deck 7 Promenade Deck except when they may be doing maintenance or painting. And they try to limit the area.

Promenade Deck is continously open except for the front and rear pass thru walkway.

Must mean inside of Deck 7.

Guest 4-2-N-8
Just now, BklynBoy8 said:

Being on the QM2 for 17 years, I never had a blockage of the Deck 7 Promenade Deck except when they may be doing maintenance or painting. And they try to limit the area.

Promenade Deck is continously open except for the front and rear pass thru walkway.

Right. I meant inside.

It sounded from a prior post as if some (or all?) evenings have deck 7 inside blocked in some areas, requiring passengers to walk outside in deck 7 to go toward bow.

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

When you come out of either grills restaurants at night , you cannot walk through kings court as it is a speciality restaurant. Must either go up or down to go forward or walk outside. 

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

When you come out of either grills restaurants at night , you cannot walk through kings court as it is a speciality restaurant. Must either go up or down to go forward or walk outside. 

When we were on board last summer, quite a lot of people did use the speciality restaurant as a way to get from back to front of Deck 7. Would it not also be possible to walk through on the opposite side?

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We never thought it to be a big deal when we came out of the PG. Just used a different traffic pattern. Sea Air is good for a after meal stroll.

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

When we were on board last summer, quite a lot of people did use the speciality restaurant as a way to get from back to front of Deck 7. Would it not also be possible to walk through on the opposite side?

Yes you can walk thru Deck 7 inside thru the passage way by Chef's Gallery on the starboard side

16 hours ago, tv24 said:

We went QG TA on QM2 in October as the price differential wasn't that high (it seems to depend...), but agree PG looks like it has all that is needed and isn't much inferior to QG.

I don't have any problems with the deck plans - the only funnies are the dips down to the sides through art gallery and past the theatre to get to Illuminations.

Mind you, probably helps being an engineer (thinking in 3D) with a very good sense of direction

Clarendon must love that the path on the port side is effectively shut off now with the single cabins; it proved *very* expensive having to walk through the art gallery...

QE and QV *are* mass market cruise ships underneath the skin - so is QA albeit a rarer design. Are there ANY other truly unique ships other than QM2?

Loved it - will be back, but next up is trying QA - only PG this time (and they don't seem to be as great as QM2 PGs), but spend less time in the cabin on a fjord cruise v TA, and doing it as much for the food and better Grills deck space compared with QM2

17 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes you can walk thru Deck 7 inside thru the passage way by Chef's Gallery on the starboard side

I don't remember any passgeway on the starboard side - the Chef's Gallery galley backs onto the Grills Lounge on the starboard side from the 'C' to 'D' lobby areas.

On the port side, the 'pop up' occupies the 'C' to 'D' space. I would not like thru traffic during diner / extra cost table service.

Back in November on the westbound crossing there mostly was no promenade deck access from either the 'C' or 'D' lobby areas due to high winds.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

You can’t go from the Chef’s Gallery to the D stairway though without going outside or cutting through the port side of Kings Court which hosts the speciality restaurant in the evening. The way through the rear of the Kings Court is barred while the speciality restaurant is operating.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood the question though.

Edited by Yaldi

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But not currently, apparently.

On our recent sailing no problem each evening.

They do not use it for evening meals.

3 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Clarendon must love that the path on the port side is effectively shut off now with the single cabins; it proved *very* expensive having to walk through the art gallery...

No.... we never had a problem with the walk thru. Really never influence us to purchase. 

Just a pass thru.... Even look out the window

The only venue on Deck 7 forward of Kings Court is the Carinthia Lounge (unless going to the Spa straight after eating..), so most likely after eating you'd be changing deck anyway, so can't see the problem with having to go up or down in the D well

18 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I don't remember any passgeway on the starboard side - the Chef's Gallery galley backs onto the Grills Lounge on the starboard side from the 'C' to 'D' lobby areas.

On the port side, the 'pop up' occupies the 'C' to 'D' space. I would not like thru traffic during diner / extra cost table service.

Back in November on the westbound crossing there mostly was no promenade deck access from either the 'C' or 'D' lobby areas due to high winds.

The passage way is on the Starboard side just before the doorway to the Promenade Deck doors. Pass the Elevator bank. The red arrow is the Chef's Gallery.

My DW and I used it every night after the PG. Yes you can not go thru the Grill Bar but I wouldn't call it a blockage as it is part of the structure.

Remember Speciality Restaurant was not held each evening on our sailing.

20230425_115045.jpg

Edited by BklynBoy8