Options if my husband can’t go?

zanydoc

Hello, Everyone! I’m booked on Horizon for May 21st sailing with my husband for our anniversary. I’m new to Carnival-usually sail on RCL, but am trying to branch out more, so I’m not very familiar with Carnival cancellation policies and I did not purchase insurance this time. My husband was just informed that he may not get his requested time off from work as some new big computery (fake word, I know!) deadline is looming for the end of May that he may need to be a part of. 

Like RCL, if neither one of us go, is the whole amount forfeit? Could I request a cancellation and put the money on a future cruise with some kind of penalty?  Could I switch him with a different passenger? He is a software engineer-is the internet capability on this ship good enough to program remotely? Please explain my options. Thanks!

I would doubt that the internet is capable of providing the type of bandwidth that he may need.

Options:

(1) Replace him with another cruiser (as long as you were the primary guest on the reservation).  There may be a fee associated with this.

(2) Cancel the entire reservation and accept the loss of funds.

(3) Go on the cruise solo.  Do not cancel him from the room or make any indication that you are aware the he is not coming.  They will refund his port fees, taxes, and anything prepaid back to the original form of payment.  If you search this board, this is called having him be a no-show.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I’d definitely cruise solo before losing 75% of my cruise fare. And thank you @Schoifmom for informing me about the “do not cancel” rule. Does anyone know how late I could replace him with another cruiser, and if there is a fee for that?

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

I would doubt that the internet is capable of providing the type of bandwidth that he may need.

Options:

(1) Replace him with another cruiser (as long as you were the primary guest on the reservation).  There may be a fee associated with this.

(2) Cancel the entire reservation and accept the loss of funds.

(3) Go on the cruise solo.  Do not cancel him from the room or make any indication that you are aware the he is not coming.  They will refund his port fees, taxes, and anything prepaid back to the original form of payment.  If you search this board, this is called having him be a no-show.

This,

Keep in mind, if the cruise is May 21st this year you are WELL within final payment and there will be hefty penalties at this point.

If you do have to cancel you will only "lose" your actual cruise rate at the set percentage based on time left to sailing.  You will get ALL port fees, taxes, and any "pre-purchased" items you may have bought back at 100%.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Thanks for your replies. I’d definitely cruise solo before losing 75% of my cruise fare. And thank you @Schoifmom for informing me about the “do not cancel” rule. Does anyone know how late I could replace him with another cruiser, and if there is a fee for that?

That all depends on exactly what "rate" you booked under.  Some rates you can not replace/change at all, others you can.  BEST to call Carnival now and find out.  Usually you are looking at $50, but it all depends.

I agree - Best to call right away and explore your options directly with Carnival.

One option would be to ask to move to a cruise on a later date, when he's sure he can go....

there would be a penalty at this point. Sometimes it can be as little as $50 per person...depending on what 'rate' you booked under.