Dining vouchers - any tips?

using a specific certificate at any of those restaurants is the same, sure, but the certificates and the credits are not the same. first, you need to determine at which meal you want your "free" bottle of wine. you only have one latitudes coupon that includes a free bottle of wine.

your remaining latitudes coupon  and your FAS dining credit each carry different restrictions. the latitudes coupon is good for one appetizer, one entrée, and one dessert, whereas people report some success with the FAS credit in getting additional appetizers, sides and desserts. (that may be changing with all the recent changes and cutbacks.) so, some strategy many come into play in deciding where to redeem which.

Strategy! That's the word I should have used.

We don't often eat in the speciality restaurants, so haven't much to base a strategy on.

We're likely to want to take the bottle of wine with us, if this is still permitted.

If there is still greater flexibility with the FAS credit it would make sense to use that wherever we are most likely to want more dishes, I suppose.

My brain is like a tumble dryer these days so it would help a lot to hear how others decide?

28 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

Strategy! That's the word I should have used.

We don't often eat in the speciality restaurants, so haven't much to base a strategy on.

We're likely to want to take the bottle of wine with us, if this is still permitted.

If there is still greater flexibility with the FAS credit it would make sense to use that wherever we are most likely to want more dishes, I suppose.

My brain is like a tumble dryer these days so it would help a lot to hear how others decide?

The FAS credit and the vouchers are the same. Pick the restaurant you want to pick up your wine at. Yes, just tell them not to open the bottle and that you are taking it with you. There is no longer a strategy based on recent changes to both programs. 

• Thanks 1

Great advice above! 

If we are using ours at a non-flat-fee restaurant, we look at the appetizers/starters for the various restaurants.   The Latitudes voucher is one starter, one entrée & one dessert.  The Dining package adds another choice as it is: is one appetizer, one soup or salad, one entrée & one dessert.  

(Having said that, on our recent Joy cruise our waiter in Le Bistro insisted we add another starter to our Latitudes meal.)

From NCL's frequently asked questions:

What do the speciality dinner benefits cover?

This benefit offers two dinners for two at a speciality restaurant for Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ambassador guests. Each stateroom will receive a voucher in their Welcome Back card on embarkation day for:

• •  Dinner for Two with a Bottle of Wine
  • •  Dinner for Two

Service charges are included in this benefit. Guest to present voucher to their server before ordering. Benefit entitles each guest to an appetizer, one entrée, and a dessert of your choice. Upcharges apply on certain premium menu items. Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included. In à la carte restaurants, coupon can be redeemed for 4 menu items per person (Sushi, Wasabi, Nama, Teppanyaki, Hasuki, Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar or Raw Bar). Dinner coupons are non-transferable. Solo guests cannot claim two dinners. Coupons cannot be used for the same venue twice. 2 guests maximum. Dining options vary by ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Guest to present voucher to their server before ordering. Benefit entitles each guest to an appetizer, one entrée, and a dessert of your choice.

I'm almost positive that when we used the Platinum vouchers over the past several weeks they said "one appetizer, one soup or salad, one entree, two sides and dessert."  I really didn't pay much attention because I never order more than that anyways.  I realize that you're quoting NCL's "official" terms, but we all know those aren't always the same as what is happening on the ships.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm almost positive that when we used the Platinum vouchers over the past several weeks they said "one appetizer, one soup or salad, one entree, two sides and dessert."  I really didn't pay much attention because I never order more than that anyways.  I realize that you're quoting NCL's "official" terms, but we all know those aren't always the same as what is happening on the ships.

That's true!  Just wanted to give the OP the 'terms' plus our actual experience.  It would be great if they are officially adding the extra starter to our Platinum Latitudes meal.

I was actually trying to point out our strategy about choosing a restaurant to use the Dining credit where we would enjoy more than one starter.  (I could be happy with just starters & dessert.)

On the Joy we were also surprised we were allowed to carry-out our Cagney's and Food Republic desserts.  On another cruise a couple of months ago we were not allowed to get dessert 'to go'.

• Like 1

We tend to.skip dessert, but do like to have either three shared appetisers or an appetiser and soup or salad.

It seems like winging it might be the way to go; it will be interesting to see if there's consistency across the ship's restaurants.

Thanks to all for taking the time and for your responses.

• Like 1

There is no consistency between waiters. We were on the Encore a couple of weeks ago and we were offered an app, salad, entree and dessert for both vouchers in Cagney’s and Le Bistro. 

We’ll be sailing again this month and see what they say. 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 6:30 PM, BirdTravels said:

The FAS credit and the vouchers are the same. Pick the restaurant you want to pick up your wine at. Yes, just tell them not to open the bottle and that you are taking it with you. There is no longer a strategy based on recent changes to both programs. 

They weren't the same on my Feb cruise on the Dawn.  Luckily we learned about it before we went to eat.  With the FAS, we were offered an appetizer, a salad, an entree, and 2 sides at Cagneys.  The people next to us had a Lattitudes voucher.  They were offered 1 item from appetizers and salads combined, an entree, and only 1 side.  

I don't know about the other 2 restaurants because we used our 2 latitudes vouchers at fixed price locations.  The problem with fixed price is that you can't reserve ahead and not pay unless you have enough FAS vouchers to cover it when reserving. 😞 

17 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

The problem with fixed price is that you can't reserve ahead and not pay unless you have enough FAS vouchers to cover it when reserving.

you're correct, but there is a workaround.

the "trick" is to book those first before reserving other (a la carte) restaurants. if your cruise has two FAS meals, plus two platinum meals... book the fixed price restaurants first, such as moderno or teppanyaki, then book the a la care restaurants, such as cagney's and le bistro. if you've already reserved beyond what your FAS meals cover, the system will always try to charge you for the prix fix. if you do it in reverse, there should be no problem.

if you want to book all your meals at fixed price restaurants, there is no workaround.

The bottle of wine is a joke.  Recently on the Bliss, at Ocean Blue, the waiter showed us a long list of wines to choose from for our free bottle.  He then proceeded to point out the two or three that weren't already available by the glass for free under the drink package.  Had we chosen one of those, it is quite likely that they would still bring a bottle to fill our glasses.  I have no need to take a half (or full) bottle of wine back to my cabin, as I generally am out listening to music until I get too tired and then head immediately to bed.  I don't drink wine for breakfast. 😀

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, UKstages said:

you're correct, but there is a workaround.

the "trick" is to book those first before reserving other (a la carte) restaurants. if your cruise has two FAS meals, plus two platinum meals... book the fixed price restaurants first, such as moderno or teppanyaki, then book the a la care restaurants, such as cagney's and le bistro. if you've already reserved beyond what your FAS meals cover, the system will always try to charge you for the prix fix. if you do it in reverse, there should be no problem.

if you want to book all your meals at fixed price restaurants, there is no workaround.

Thanks.  Our problem was that we only had one FAS and 2 fixed-price places where we wanted to dine. We're going to run into the same thing next cruise because we didn't get the FAS with our booking.  We opted for the more flexible OBC, but that limits reserving both dining and shore excursions early, so I'm not sure if I chose wisely or not.  I'll be happy going to Cagney's twice (what I'll reserve online) if we can't get a decent time for Tepanyaki once onboard. 

On 5/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, alwalaska said:

They weren't the same on my Feb cruise on the Dawn.  Luckily we learned about it before we went to eat.  With the FAS, we were offered an appetizer, a salad, an entree, and 2 sides at Cagneys.  The people next to us had a Lattitudes voucher.  They were offered 1 item from appetizers and salads combined, an entree, and only 1 side.  

I don't know about the other 2 restaurants because we used our 2 latitudes vouchers at fixed price locations.  The problem with fixed price is that you can't reserve ahead and not pay unless you have enough FAS vouchers to cover it when reserving. 😞 

Yup. That is what the voucher says. We have sailed twice since the voucher changes, the last time a couple of weeks ago, and they treated them the same. 1 salad, 1 app, 1 entree, 1 desert, 2 sides. 

Hi guys,

Sorry, I'm still new to this and have never cruised before so I'm trying to make sure I understand everything before we set sail in August.

We have the upgraded FAS package so I believe we get 3 of the specialty dining meals, as we're just in a oceanview room.

When you're saying 1 salad, 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 2 sides and 1 dessert... that's per person, in each specialty restaurant we choose, right?

48 minutes ago, SofaSogood said:

When you're saying 1 salad, 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 2 sides and 1 dessert... that's per person, in each specialty restaurant we choose, right?

Yes.  Unless you have an appetite and stomach in the top 1%, you will have plenty of food!

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

Yes.  Unless you have an appetite and stomach in the top 1%, you will have plenty of food!

Ok great, thank you. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be one of each for one person and then be charged for the second person.

Husband is also a fussy eater, so I doubt he'll be going for appetizers and salads etc. I think we'll be just fine. 🙂

"Husband is also a fussy eater, so I doubt he'll be going for appetizers and salads etc. I think we'll be just fine. 🙂"

Mine, too.  He finds what he is willing to eat off any menu, but often that means he doesn't order an appetizer (and he won't touch a salad ever!). Sometimes, if I suggest it, he'll try something new I think he might like. Sometimes I hijack his appetizers/sides so I can sample additional things that he's not going to eat anyway... 

• Like 2