Live from Konigsdam on a Pacific Coastal

DrKoob

47 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Whatever time it says to be on board on your paperwork, get in line at least three hours earlier. 

Sorry that you didn't enjoy this trip, but as you have pointed out at least you could enjoy your time with friends and family.

I also hope your bride can recover from her hip problems so that she can better enjoy your upcoming trips.

Thank you for your review, it certainly as stimulated an active conversation.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

What 35-day itinerary is inexpensive?

I’m booked with you to Tahiti. I suppose expense is relative. I can sail for 35 nights for 35% less than the cost of 35 nights in Maui (and the cruise includes food) :). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

We did a west coast cruise from San Diego to Vancouver (10 nights) a year ago this month on Millennium and they were vastly understaffed. 

Of course it was. It’s been a few years since I’ve done celebrity and i experienced some of the worst lines I ever experienced.  That was before Covid so no excuse then.  Both hal and Princess have been better than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m booked with you to Tahiti. I suppose expense is relative. I can sail for 35 nights for 35% less than the cost of 35 nights in Maui (and the cruise includes food) :). 

Ok, thanks.  I guess everything is relative, but I wouldn't classify the price I paid as inexpensive.  In any case, I'm looking forward to a great trip.  As I get older and other problems crop up, I've learned the cost really doesn't matter.  Enjoy yourself.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Sorry that you didn't enjoy this trip, but as you have pointed out at least you could enjoy your time with friends and family.

I also hope your bride can recover from her hip problems so that she can better enjoy your upcoming trips.

Thank you for your review, it certainly as stimulated an active conversation.

You are a pretty nice guy with a pretty awful handle. Thanks for the comment.

• Like 2

Need to update one more thing. Two of our party who were on this cruise with us came home with something special—COVID! Thanks HAL. Probably the only thing we didn't have to wait in line for. Or they got it while waiting.

6 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Need to update one more thing. Two of our party who were on this cruise with us came home with something special—COVID! Thanks HAL. Probably the only thing we didn't have to wait in line for. Or they got it while waiting.

The timing would indicate that they probably contracted Covid during embarkation.

2 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

indicate that they probably contracted Covid during embarkation

Hmm.... another reason to get Club Orange?  Embarkation may be a good time for masking in the near future for me.

4 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

The timing would indicate that they probably contracted Covid during embarkation.

Here are the three rooms we all had to endure on May 1, after the long hallway line:

4632D75D-8569-49AA-81E6-C92B53013137.thumb.png.0c90d7aaa50336c0b76a60b22fa496f7.png

4C461224-963F-4BC4-84E3-5B1B61D40DE2.thumb.jpeg.f7f1da4a5f04d3aa10ff6ba9cfa6b9fb.jpeg

136FC15C-5BAB-417B-A025-36DCB50FADE0.thumb.jpeg.98fb04d7a3abb4d930f95c01c85569b7.jpeg

7 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

three rooms we all had to endure on May 1

That appears to be...

• HAL check in on first photo => Club orange, Neptune, and 4 star mariners have express lane
  • 2nd photo for customs => use Nexus/GE for express lane
  • 3rd photo for security pat down?

There's a 4th area post-customs for boarding by the lemonade stand.  Again... Club orange, Neptune, and 4 star mariners have priority seating area.

One other line that got excluded was the elevator P2 for luggage drop off and the luggage drop line.

To clarify.... what time did you arrive at the terminal?  Lines were much shorter for me at 10am.

Edited by xlxo

20 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Sorry to hear this news, I hope they recover quickly.   The fact is that Covid is still around and a very contagious disease, although not as serious for most people.   At least for me, I've made some changes in my cruising behavior.  I stay away from anything in the theatre where everyone is packed together, avoid long bus trips on excursions, fly in premium economy or first class and generally avoid crowds.  I'm usually just happy to be cruising on my balcony and exploring ports on my own.    Cruising is not the same for us as it was pre-Covid, we just look for different ways to enjoy ourselves.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Whatever time it says to be on board on your paperwork, get in line at least three hours earlier. 

Wouldn’t a better strategy be to arrive at Canada Place later in the day and let the masses file thru first?   Asking as a very concerned, potential HAL+Vancouver first-timer. 

19 minutes ago, xlxo said:

That appears to be...

• HAL check in on first photo => Club orange, Neptune, and 4 star mariners have express lane

There's a 4th area post-customs for boarding by the lemonade stand.  Again... Club orange, Neptune, and 4 star mariners have priority seating area.

One other line that got excluded was the elevator P2 for luggage drop off and the luggage drop line.

To clarify.... what time did you arrive at the terminal?  Lines were much shorter for me at 10am.

Our check in time was for group D at 1:00 PM. Our hotel shuttle dropped us about 12:30 PM. It was over an hour just to get into the HAL check in room.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

Wouldn’t a better strategy be to arrive at Canada Place later in the day and let the masses file thru first?   Asking as a very concerned, potential HAL+Vancouver first-timer.

While arriving around 3pm to avoid the crowds sounds like a plan...

• what time is your hotel check out time?  What are you going to do with your luggage between check out time and boarding time for those hours?  Do expensive laps and loops in the taxi?
  • you are going to miss out on the embarkation lunch that you paid for.
  • are you going to be able to find a seat at the buffet feedings easily with a late board?  Will the buffet still be open?
  • will it feel rushed to watch the safety video and make your way to the mustard station for check-in?
  • what if you forget something and need to go back to the car or home?  Having that contingency time with an early board has been a life saver for me.

Personally, I prefer to stay ahead of the crowds (ie hotel dump).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reposado said:

hah Im trying to go at the last time possible to avoid the crowd. 

On May first, sail away was supposed to be at three. All aboard was 2:30.

We didn’t sail until after five and passengers were boarding until almost up to five. Makes it tough to time a late boarding without lines.

1 hour ago, xlxo said:

That appears to be...

Where is the priority lane located? Right? Left?

Once again where? Right? Left?

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I always know if I'm going on a cruise this is a possibility.  I wear a mask indoors, on the plane and embarking.  I've cruised for 8 weeks since the upstart and not once have I come back with covid.  If I did it wouldn't cross my mind to blame hal.  That's on me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, xlxo said:

We are locals and whenever we do the short cruises we like to start our holiday early and stay at the Fairmont or Pan Pacific. We gave the concierge our luggage when we checked out of the hotel and didn't see it again until it was delivered to our cabins. Eliminated the luggage drop off line. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

Where is the priority lane located? Right? Left?

Once again where? Right? Left?

HAL check-in priority lane was on the left when you entered the check in hall.  Big 6 foot sign to say where to line up.

Customs check-in priority lane was on the right.  Just yell "Nexus/GE" to wake up the people in charge of the lines.  I think the first 3 stalls are reserved for Nexus/GE customs processing.

HAL boarding priority seating area was by the lemonade stall.  Where most wheelchairs and mobility aids can be seen parked prior to 12pm ready for the priority boarding call.  Then it was like Nascar as they jockeyed into position for the gangway ramp.  The photo area just provided them a mini obstacle course. There was a fellow at the boarding area directed us where to sit at 11:30am.

Edited by xlxo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

sail away was supposed to be at three. All aboard was 2:30.

We didn’t sail until after five and passengers were boarding until almost up to five

There seem to be a lot of tardiness on that cruise by 1/3 of the passengers...

• multiple requests to complete their safety video and mustard check-in were over the announcements so we could leave.
  • many refused to complete their customs form by the Ketchikan deadline for the Prince Rupert docking the next morning.  I remember cabin numbers and names were announced to go to the World Stage to complete their forms.
Edited by xlxo

5 minutes ago, xlxo said:

HAL check-in priority lane was on the left when you entered the check in hall.  Big 6 foot sign to say where to line up.

Customs check-in priority lane was on the right.  Just yell "Nexus/GE" to wake up the people in charge of the lines.  I think the first 3 stalls are reserved for Nexus/GE customs processing.

HAL boarding priority seating area was by the lemonade stall.  Where most wheelchairs and mobility aids can be seen parked prior to 12pm ready for the priority boarding call.  Then it was like Nascar as they jockeyed into position for the gangway ramp.  The photo area just provided them a mini obstacle course. There was a fellow at the boarding area directed us where to sit at 11:30am.

Thank You very much. It is greatly appreciated.

The Lido buffet was an absolute nightmare.  Full of people in long lines with 1 person behind the counter serving.  The one station stated roasted turkey sandwiches - we went and there was a server there but no turkey.  He told us to come back so we left and returned 15 minutes later and he was still standing there with no turkey.  He told the lady next to us the same thing.  I walked by a few times just to check it out over the next half hour and still no turkey.  LOL.  One morning they closed buffet at 9:45 am for breakfast and we tried dining room which was closed (port day) so we wandered and found something eventually.  Returned from port for lunch and it was insane in the Lido buffet.  People lined up forever and the hot dog, hamburger area took about 2 hours from order to service.  Whoever is in charge of the Lido buffet needs a boot or a re-boot.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xlxo said:

While arriving around 3pm to avoid the crowds sounds like a plan...

• what time is your hotel check out time?  What are you going to do with your luggage between check out time and boarding time for those hours?  Do expensive laps and loops in the taxi?
  • you are going to miss out on the embarkation lunch that you paid for.
  • are you going to be able to find a seat at the buffet feedings easily with a late board?  Will the buffet still be open?
  • will it feel rushed to watch the safety video and make your way to the mustard station for check-in?
  • what if you forget something and need to go back to the car or home?  Having that contingency time with an early board has been a life saver for me.

In contrast, I have seen advice from Vancouver locals which we intend to follow next month.  Drop your baggage off any time you like, you don't have to proceed to boarding.  Wander along the waterfront, find a nice restaurant for lunch, watch the float planes.  Then head back to boarding two hours before sailaway.  That's probably your best chance of avoiding great long lineups.  We have learned from experience that the one place to avoid on boarding day is the lunch buffet.  Yes, we paid for it but it's usually a zoo.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, xlxo said:

There seem to be a lot of tardiness on that cruise by 1/3 of the passengers...

• multiple requests to complete their safety video and mustard check-in were over the announcements so we could leave.
  • many refused to complete their customs form by the Ketchikan deadline for the Prince Rupert docking the next morning.  I remember cabin numbers and names were announced to go to the World Stage to complete their forms.

We watched the safety video upon entering our stateroom, but when we got to the muster station the HAL personnel running the station had already closed shop and we never did have an opportunity to check-in to our muster station. 

About the third day into the cruise, I spoke with a passenger who didn't understand why he had gotten a call from guest services about not checking into his muster station. He also wasn't sure why his TV didn't work. He had tried to check into his muster station, but they were closed. I asked him if he had watched the safety video and he said he had not. I saw him the next day and he said after watching the safety video his TV worked fine.

There is not an acceptable excuse for the passengers not filling out form E311 prior to arriving in Prince Rupert. The announcement was given on many occasions, both before and after the stated deadline to fill it out. The announcement was given to the full ship, including staterooms, in both English and Mandarin.