A Question About Weather in Norway in June as it Affects Sitting on the Deck

SLSD

I've researched typical  temperature ranges along the coast of Norway for June.  I know to expect variable weather--rain--cool temps with a need for layers etc.  This question is about your experience if you have cruised Norway in June.  Was there anytime it was warm enough to enjoy sitting/dining on the deck of the ship without being bundled into a jacket?  I'm trying to decide whether or not to pack a dress or two that are short sleeved.  I don't want to pack them if I am not going to be able to wear them.  

Thank you.  I listen to the voices of experience.  

We cruised Norway in June and into July. Apart from a rainy (complete waterproofs from top to toe required) day in Bergen we had amazing weather. It was warm enough to sit round the pool in our swimming stuff in a sheltered area. We mainly wore a very light jacket when out and about. Don’t know if we were just very lucky but it was fantastic, especially as it was the time of the midnight sun.

Edited by margbem
Grammar
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, margbem said:

We cruised Norway in June and into July. Apart from a rainy (complete waterproofs from top to toe required) day in Bergen we had amazing weather. It was warm enough to sit round the pool in our swimming stuff in a sheltered area. We mainly wore a very light jacket when out and about. Don’t know if we were just very lucky but it was fantastic, especially as it was the time of the midnight sun.

Thank you Galeforce.  This tells me comfortable weather on deck COULD happen--so I may pack something a bit more summery than layers.   

Do pack both.  I have done several (lovely) cruises to Norway, and had one where it rained almost every day, and another where it was bright blue sky and warm, again almost every day.  Sadly, you can't predict it at the time you have to book!   Both were I think in June.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Do pack both.  I have done several (lovely) cruises to Norway, and had one where it rained almost every day, and another where it was bright blue sky and warm, again almost every day.  Sadly, you can't predict it at the time you have to book!   Both were I think in June.

Ah, but lincslady, we all just pack for a summer in the UK (off to Norway in July) and we are prepared for everything from sleet to sunstroke 😜 one benefit of living here I suppose, we are used to 'changeable' weather 😂

Edited by Techno123
  • Haha 1

As our old meteorology lecturer once said ..... everywhere in the world has climate ... England has weather 🙄

Once went for Tromso in February and ended up in shorts playing football! Different type of cold altogether .. compared to the UK .... it was a dry cold as opposed to a wet one which gets into every nook and cranny, in fact everywhere  🙂

Says he who is off to Alaska in August ... hopefully 🤞

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Thank you Galeforce.  This tells me comfortable weather on deck COULD happen--so I may pack something a bit more summery than layers.   

You never know how the weather will be…been to norway, on three north cape cruises…late June, early to mid July and mid to late August.  We had days that were cold and windy and  days  in the 70’s and 80’s depending on the year.  I live in the same state as you, in a very large city that is close to the gulf.  We love cooler and drier (less humid) weather in the summer and when we’ve been to Norway or Alaska, we always prepare for all types of weather

nancy 

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Ah, but lincslady, we all just pack for a summer in the UK (off to Norway in July) and we are prepared for everything from sleet to sunstroke 😜 one benefit of living here I suppose, we are used to 'changeable' weather 😂

Exactly - but I was replying to someone who lives in Dallas, Texas.  I am not sure is being  used to changeable weather is desirable, although I admit to not liking every day to be hot and sunny for months on end.

• Like 1

As many above have commented, you really have to be prepared for anything just as you have to for the Chilean fjords. We did the complete trip from Copenhagen to North Cape and back in the month of June and the weather was generally very good. Some days were quite “warm” and very pleasant. On June 23rd we were sitting out on our veranda at midnight in dressing gowns and sunglasses as we headed north.

Two days later as we reached North Cape in the early morning it was foggy and drizzle.

You just never know.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.  We will be prepared.  I'll put a few more summery things in--along with light weight tops that would be comfortable in warmer weather.  I certainly know what to wear in warm weather as we have that most of the year.  It is in the 80s at our farm in East Texas today---with a breeze.  

• Like 1

Interesting thread, thank you.  We are cruising Norway in August, and I am imagining the weather to be much like it is now in the UK!  

We are used to hot weather cruises so I shall have to rethink the clothes somewhat.

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Like now🙂

With wind chill ... It was 6 centigrade on the beach this morning  .. I was feeling the cold on bits I never knew I had. 🤪

Is it still big coat weather up there 😁. It was quite pleasant here in North Wales - walked along the beach in jeans and a t shirt. Feel sorry for those watching the coronation in the rain though.

• Like 1