18-year-old - Beer/Wine with parental consent - Have to pay??

What's the fuss about defrauding NCL? Beverage package applies to guest 1-8 if over 21. There is no difference in cruise fare whether 2 or 3 or 4 adults in the room. Technically the only difference is the gratuities per person. If anything, getting a drink for someone without a drink package is a loss to the bartenders. This is easily solved with some cash on hand for tips. This with the assumption is NCL actually disburses the gratuities to the bartending team but we all know NCL isn't exactly transparent about that either. 

7 hours ago, UKstages said:

the reason for NCL's policy regarding making "underage" patrons pay for individual drinks may have more to do with the bit about drinking in "international waters." adults can use their drink package while in port. if those under 21 can only drink in international waters, then how do you police that? it would seem to me that the only way is to force an interaction with bartenders and servers. if an 18 year old is given a drink package, NCL has no easy way of prohibiting drinks while in port. and that becomes especially problematic while in american ports.

just a thought.

I don't understand how this is different.  If they can police it with them paying for the drink, why can't they police it with the drink package?  The process is the same either way.  You order a drink and give them your card.

22 hours ago, cruise99991 said:

Looks like this is what we'll be doing for our daughter too.  I'd gladly pay for a package for her wine and beer, but since they don't offer that, we'll be doing this too.  Thanks for the info.

Use the money that you would have used on the package and buy your kid a drink. 

The Corks and Caps used to be $65/day pre-pandemic. Using NCL's adjustment for inflation, it would be $75/day now.  That's over 12 beers at today's prices. I think that 12 beers is way more than enough for a high school kid. 

image.thumb.png.5484ce50e001150ccbb8183f6dd482dc.png

19 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

There is no 'free' drink package.  It's paid for in full.  The rules are quite clear that sharing isn't allowed.  Considering their age, one wonders if it would be cheaper just to pay as you go rather than paying for the 'free' package.

My kids were #2 on the reservation, so if 21 and able to consume alcohol, $20 a day. However, in spite of being able to consume alcohol, they were not eligible for an alcohol package.

5 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I don't understand how this is different.  If they can police it with them paying for the drink, why can't they police it with the drink package?  The process is the same either way.  You order a drink and give them your card.

what i said was that there was no "easy" way for them to do this.

to properly enforce this, they would have to look at the card and/or swipe the card before making the drink. presumably for everybody... or at least for those who "look" like they may be 18 - 21 years old. that's not part of their current process. you order a drink, the bartender makes the drink, then the bartender swipes your card, often without looking at it.  if they don't verify the age before making the drink, they're wasting time and product.

when in international orders, they can follow their regular process, take the order, make the drink and swipe - and charge - as efficiently as they always do.

Edited by UKstages

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My kids were #2 on the reservation, so if 21 and able to consume alcohol, $20 a day. However, in spite of being able to consume alcohol, they were not eligible for an alcohol package.

Not being eligible for the package does not justify breaking the rules.

• Like 2

Interesting discussion. My ds will be 29 when we sail this summer, we are in the UK do he has been a legal adult for 2y and is an economically active, full time employed, responsible person. 

We are sailing in Europe and he has his own cabin so is guest#1. I paid for FAS for all passengers and on our bill he has the full beverage package listed. I was fully prepared to sign the waiver so he could drink beer but looks like he may not have to?? Can any euro folks who have sailed in Europe confirm or deny? 

I'm wondering if the difference is that he is legal drinking age at home and also in every port we dock at, therefore no occasions where he would not be able to buy his own drink. 

20 minutes ago, Goatie123 said:

Interesting discussion. My ds will be 29 when we sail this summer, we are in the UK do he has been a legal adult for 2y and is an economically active, full time employed, responsible person. 

We are sailing in Europe and he has his own cabin so is guest#1. I paid for FAS for all passengers and on our bill he has the full beverage package listed. I was fully prepared to sign the waiver so he could drink beer but looks like he may not have to?? Can any euro folks who have sailed in Europe confirm or deny? 

I'm wondering if the difference is that he is legal drinking age at home and also in every port we dock at, therefore no occasions where he would not be able to buy his own drink. 

29? Did you mean 20?

Edited by fastpitchdad

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

what i said was that there was no "easy" way for them to do this.

to properly enforce this, they would have to look at the card and/or swipe the card before making the drink. presumably for everybody... or at least for those who "look" like they may be 18 - 21 years old. that's not part of their current process. you order a drink, the bartender makes the drink, then the bartender swipes your card, often without looking at it.  if they don't verify the age before making the drink, they're wasting time and product.

when in international orders, they can follow their regular process, take the order, make the drink and swipe - and charge - as efficiently as they always do.

Sorry if my response came across as snarky or anything.  I was just curious.  Probably because I'm used to them checking my card before making my drink, at least until they get to know me.  So I just thought it would be the same 

I wouldn’t turn you in if I saw you buying drinks for someone without a package because I mind my own business but I would say pay by drink would be the best option.

On my last cruise, it was around 2am and a girl came up to me and asked me to get her a drink because she left her card in the room and couldn’t get back in.  I am old  and trusting and I  am not good at guessing ages so I ordered her a drink and yes I tipped the bartender as I always do. Later in talking to this girl she said this cruise was for her high school graduation.  Needless to say I was mortified. Lesson learned, I will no longer trust when someone says they left their card in the room.

Just limit them to a certain amount of drinks and make them reimburse you if they go over.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

I wouldn’t turn you in if I saw you buying drinks for someone without a package because I mind my own business but I would say pay by drink would be the best option.

On my last cruise, it was around 2am and a girl came up to me and asked me to get her a drink because she left her card in the room and couldn’t get back in.  I am old  and trusting and I  am not good at guessing ages so I ordered her a drink and yes I tipped the bartender as I always do. Later in talking to this girl she said this cruise was for her high school graduation.  Needless to say I was mortified. Lesson learned, I will no longer trust when someone says they left their card in the room.

Just limit them to a certain amount of drinks and make them reimburse you if they go over.  

I was on a cruise last month, during the height of spring break.  there were young kids trying to get me to buy them drinks.  I wasn't falling for it.  They were so desperate for drinks that they were going around picking up drinks that were sitting around.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

I was on a cruise last month, during the height of spring break.  there were young kids trying to get me to buy them drinks.  I wasn't falling for it.  They were so desperate for drinks that they were going around picking up drinks that were sitting around.

I am sure . I just trust people. I was only up at 2 am because I was worried about my 25 year old son and  23 year old nephew who befriended a couple who I think were using them for their drink package. I didn’t trust them so I was uneasy going to bed. I should have known better but this girl was so nice to me I wanted my son to meet her so he could hang with better people. Of course the couple never came around again must have found another mark an I was used too.

On 5/7/2023 at 11:35 AM, BirdTravels said:

I think that 12 beers is way more than enough for a high school kid. 

i guess you have never lived in Northeast Wisconsin 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, Goatie123 said:

The difference between European and US sailings is that 18-20 year olds automatically can drink beer and wine on the sailing.  The US sailings require that the parents go to guest services and sign a waiver while on board.  Since there is no need for parental permission, the under 21 guest gets the package included if accepted at booking.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

This is just my perspective, but as I see it, the OP is just wondering how to get around an unintentional loophole where someone between the ages of 18-21 can be served alcohol without being required to pay each drink separately. If a person is under 18, no alcohol, period. If someone is 21 or older, that person can get the UBP and get pretty much any alcoholic drink, no problem. But then there are those who fall between the cracks, i.e. 18, 19 and 20 year olds, who CAN'T take advantage of the UBP and who can only be served beer and wine. I don't see this as someone skirting the rules, but who, through no fault of their own, are being denied something due to NCL's rules. To me, that's quite different from the person who buys drinks for others because they're either underage or just too cheap to buy their own. Anyway, just wanted to offer my opinion before the moderators shut this thread down due to the personal attacks, LOL.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

How would that work, in practice? Has anyone seen this done in real life? I suppose I'd be very hesitant to call someone out for buying his 20-year-old drinks, for fear I'd end up with said drink poured on me, or worse, have someone punch me out. (But I do agree that flouting the rules does cause unintended consequences, such as rising prices)

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

How would that work, in practice? Has anyone seen this done in real life? I suppose I'd be very hesitant to call someone out for buying his 20-year-old drinks, for fear I'd end up with said drink poured on me, or worse, have someone punch me out. (But I do agree that flouting the rules does cause unintended consequences, such as rising prices)

I wouldn't suggest you confront someone you suspect is buying others drinks who don't have a drink package in order to save them money.  I would suggest you discretely inform management of the ship.  It would be up to them to take appropriate action.   

Edited by RocketMan275

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I wouldn't suggest you confront someone you suspect is buying others drinks who don't have a drink package in order to save them money.  I would suggest you discretely inform management of the ship.  It would be up to them to take appropriate action.   

I see where you're going with this, but then wouldn't it just be your word again his/hers? Not disagreeing with you here, mind you, but just wondering how this would play out.

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

I see where you're going with this, but then wouldn't it just be your word again his/hers? Not disagreeing with you here, mind you, but just wondering how this would play out.

The ship has a record of all drink purchases.  

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The ship has a record of all drink purchases.  

Yes, but not consumptions. I mean, if I get two drinks at the bar and I say one is for my wife, who has the drink package, but instead I give it to my daughter (hypothetically, since I don't have kids), the sale isn't the issue, it's who consumed the drink. How would they know?

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, but not consumptions. I mean, if I get two drinks at the bar and I say one is for my wife, who has the drink package, but instead I give it to my daughter (hypothetically, since I don't have kids), the sale isn't the issue, it's who consumed the drink. How would they know?

This isn't the first time the cruise lines face such behavior.  I'm confident they have a way of making that determination.  Remember, this isn't a one time thing but a consistent pattern of behavior over a period of time involving three or more people.  

Edited by RocketMan275

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

This isn't the first time the cruise lines face such behavior.  I'm confident they have a way of making that determination.  Remember, this isn't a one time thing but a consistent pattern of behavior over a period of time involving three or more people.  

I still think you'd need to have evidence of this, and I'm not sure how to do that without potentially endangering yourself with a confrontation. But I trust your word, if the cruise lines have a way of figuring out who's cheating, they absolutely should make them face the consequences. In the grand scheme of things, and by no means does this make it alright (it doesn't), but for anybody who's giving free drinks to those who didn't pay, there are people like my wife who drinks very little, even though we both have the package. So in terms of revenue collected vs drinks dispensed, I bet NCL still comes out very much ahead.