tips for Independence

We have not sailed RCCL for many years but are now ready to expose the grands to cruising. I've been reading some reviews but would also appreciate tips from past cruisers. We will have 2 children, 13 and 9. Are activities like the surf simulator extra? hard to get on? Dining? we prefer fine dining but not sure the kids are even going to want one night in the dining room - are the other venues crowded? need reservation? extra charge? Does Coco Cay have some transportation or is it a hot slog to get to shady spot? Does Diamond status get us a free happy hour? Thanks for any input!

We were on Indy a few months ago -- had a great time! 

- Surf simulator is called Flow Rider, and it is a no-cost item.  You'll need to sign a waiver for your grandchildren on Day 1 so they can participate.  If you board early, consider heading up to Flow Rider for the very first "ride".  

- As for dinner, if I were you, I'd tell the kids they can choose what they want to do for breakfast and lunch, but you will choose dinner /they're expected to follow your direction.  

- You should make reservations for the Main Dining Room now; you can always change them, but the best time slots will be gone by the time you're onboard. 

- As for other venues, the Windjammer Buffet is no-cost, and it's easy to get into.  

- You can make reservations for the up-charge restaurants.  I'm not sure what information you're hoping to gain here.  

- Yes, they run a tram to/from the ship and around Coco Cay.  

- Most of the chairs are in the sun.  If you want shade (part of the day), I'd suggest you choose Chill Island, as it's near the hammocks, which are in near-complete shade.  You'll have no problem getting a chair, but it may not be a prime front-row chair.  Check out You Tube for an idea of what Coco Cay is like.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You should make reservations for the Main Dining Room now; you can always change them, but the best time slots will be gone by the time you're onboard. 

This ONLY if you pick My Time Dining vs. fixed time "Traditional" dining.

20 minutes ago, suec12 said:

We have not sailed RCCL for many years but are now ready to expose the grands to cruising. I've been reading some reviews but would also appreciate tips from past cruisers. We will have 2 children, 13 and 9. Are activities like the surf simulator extra? hard to get on? Dining? we prefer fine dining but not sure the kids are even going to want one night in the dining room - are the other venues crowded? need reservation? extra charge? Does Coco Cay have some transportation or is it a hot slog to get to shady spot? Does Diamond status get us a free happy hour? Thanks for any input!

Diamond now gets you 4 drinks anywhere on the ship, any time. There is a continental breakfast and coffee machine in the diamond lounge and finger food but if the kids arent diamond I'd maybe go I  for coffee but skip it this time. The drinks are no longer free during happy hour. 

The surf area and wall climbing is free  but you have to sign a lot of waivers. 2 in my Bella group wound up in medical after the surf zone. Keep a eye on them, dont just turn them loose. 

Pizza is free but closes at 3 am now. 

I loved the funnel cakes at coco cay and the chicken sandwich, fresh and hot. 

• Like 1

If you want true independence, you will have a hard struggle. But it can be achieved. Start with a small organization of like minded folks and slowly and carefully try to build an overwhelming number of individuals. These are the best tips I’ve got on this subject. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, suec12 said:

Mum - other dining venues - well subjective feedback is fine. Does the MDR have "available every day" French Onion Soup and Escargot?

No they are available on certain  days. Nothing is every day anymore. Not even shrimp cocktail. 

1 hour ago, suec12 said:

Mum - other dining venues - well subjective feedback is fine. Does the MDR have "available every day" French Onion Soup and Escargot?

French onion soup was tonight - Caribbean night 

It was hot,

most of the other food has not been so.

My daughter will be doing a Blog on the MDR offerings when she returns, she does not normally critique food, but feels obliged after her experience these past few days on Indy.

Of course food is subjective 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 5:26 PM, smokeybandit said:

This ONLY if you pick My Time Dining vs. fixed time "Traditional" dining.

How long generally is the wait in the main dining room if we don't make reservations?

4 hours ago, islander47 said:

How long generally is the wait in the main dining room if we don't make reservations?

My Time dining now starts at 6:45, I have seen people in line at 6pm. There are two lines, one for reservations and one for walk up. Some have reported a small 5 - 10 minute wait and some have said they were in line for almost a hour.  Traditional is still walk in eat and walk out in 60 to 90 minutes.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/23/2023 at 4:10 PM, taglovestocruise said:

My Time dining now starts at 6:45, I have seen people in line at 6pm. There are two lines, one for reservations and one for walk up. Some have reported a small 5 - 10 minute wait and some have said they were in line for almost a hour.  Traditional is still walk in eat and walk out in 60 to 90 minutes.

645? that late?

On 5/7/2023 at 5:02 PM, suec12 said:

YouTube has many videos about coco cay and the Independence.  Also google Diamond status for Royal as it will give you a full list of benefits.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:28 AM, SNemeth said:

Yes!  They now fill all dining rooms for early seating and do not have a dedicated My Time Dining room.  When the first seating tables turn over they start seating MTD passengers.  

that doesn't seem very good planning. they should just dedicate certain tables to be MTD. otherwise, they run into the people with MTD not being up before the late dining. 

4 hours ago, adventuredancer said:

that doesn't seem very good planning. they should just dedicate certain tables to be MTD. otherwise, they run into the people with MTD not being up before the late dining. 

There are not enough tables for all who want traditional set time dining. Have seen several reports here on cc where some who want traditional are forced into MTD.  

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

There are not enough tables for all who want traditional set time dining. Have seen several reports here on cc where some who want traditional are forced into MTD.  

Exactly and then many folks show up late for their 5:30 dining time…