Help With Train From Southhampton Port to Gatwick

Hello Friends -

We are on the July 12 NCL British Isle Sailing.

Upon our return on July 27th we have a 12 noon flight out of Gatwick. The plan is to take the 8:30 train making it to Gatwick at 10:19. However, I noted that there was a transfer with only 11 minutes. Can someone guide me on how transfers work, and is it possible to make it in 11 mins?

09:42
Clapham Junction
11m transfer time
Southern
SN6895
09:53
Clapham Junction
26m26 minutes
10:19
Gatwick Airport
Thanks in advance for your guidance!

2 minutes ago, knsky said:

Hello Friends -

We are on the July 12 NCL British Isle Sailing.

Upon our return on July 27th we have a 12 noon flight out of Gatwick. The plan is to take the 8:30 train making it to Gatwick at 10:19.
However, I noted that there was a transfer with only 11 minutes. Can someone guide me on how transfers work, and is it possible to make it in 11 mins?

Clapham Junction
11m transfer time
Southern
SN6895
Clapham Junction
26m26 minutes
Gatwick Airport
I posted in the British Isle forum too. Trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for your guidance!

The bigger issue might be the less than two hour arrival time at the airport.  Most airports in Europe recommend, and some require, an arrival time at least three hours prior to your flight's departure time.  Some airports will refuse to check in passengers who arrive less than two hours early.

• Like 1

You will never make it to the check in desks in time AT ALL if travelling on the 8:30 train!! There is a lengthy walk from the station to the check in desks. What time does the ship get in? You need to start the journey from ship to Gatwick no less than 6 hours before your flight time. 

Order a taxi to meet you off the ship - but it will need to be earlier as you are supposed to be checking in at least 3 hours before if it’s an international flight … and the security lines are often long. 

It would be easier still to change your flight to a later one. 

I have flown out of LHR and LGW back to either JFK or Bermuda dozens of times and have always had to get to the airport at least 3 hours before. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, knsky said:

Hello Friends -

We are on the July 12 NCL British Isle Sailing.

Upon our return on July 27th we have a 12 noon flight out of Gatwick. The plan is to take the 8:30 train making it to Gatwick at 10:19.
However, I noted that there was a transfer with only 11 minutes. Can someone guide me on how transfers work, and is it possible to make it in 11 mins?

Clapham Junction
11m transfer time
Southern
SN6895
Clapham Junction
26m26 minutes
Gatwick Airport
I posted in the British Isle forum too. Trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for your guidance!

I do not know about this specific transfer, but Clapham is a big station and the transfer may involve carrying bags up/down stairs. 

• Like 1

@knsky

Look at https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/SOU/GTW/120723/0730/dep for the trains on the day you want and at the time you want.   See below

If it were me I would go for the 8.09 train

No change

Cheaper

Arrive 10 minutes earlier

The Clapham Junction platform change is quite a long one 7=>13   Look at  https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations-and-destinations/stations-made-easy/clapham-junction-station-plan?rtnurl=http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/details?id=2

Departs at
08:09
Southampton Central [SOU]Platform 3A
2h 00m
0 change(s)
Arrives 
10:09
Gatwick Airport [GTW]Platform 2
Buy fromSelect train operatorAvanti West CoastC2CChiltern RailwaysCrossCountryEast Midlands RailwayGrand CentralGreat NorthernGreat Western RailwayGreater AngliaHull TrainsLNERLondon Northwestern RailwayLumoNorthernScotRailSouth Western RailwaySoutheasternSouthernThameslinkTransPennine ExpressTransport for WalesWest Midlands Railway RailEasyRedspottedhankythetrainline.com

clear.gif

HTH

Mike

• Like 1

Although the itinerary you’ve posted is the fastest, there is a slower - but direct and much cheaper - train leaving Southampton Central at 8.09am that arrives at Gatwick at 10.09am. That should be doable if you’re quick to leave the ship and carry your own luggage - it’s only a 10 minute cab ride to the station.

If you book that train now, it’s only £6 versus £27 for the faster, indirect service via Clapham Junction.

If you do go for the 8.30, that 11 minute transfer at Clapham Junction is doable but tight: you’ll have to get from platform 7 to platform 13 using a footbridge or underpass. It’s a large, extremely busy commuter station. There are elevators. The good news is there’s another train to Gatwick from the same platform just 8 minutes later so if you miss the connection it’s not really an issue.

Personally I’d go for the slower, direct train: it starts at Southampton so you’re guaranteed seats and it avoids the need to transfer. Plus it’s a lovely journey along the south coast and up the Arun valley past Arundel Castle.

Edited by gumshoe958

Gatwick recommend checking in two hours before the flight, so you should be fine there if you make the trains, even allowing for the travel to the airport from the station, unless your airline has more specific requirements.

However, Chapham Junction is huge and will be busy at that time during the week. You will almost certainly have to go up and down stairs and walk a way. I would want more than 11 minutes.

Add to that that the train from Southampton  is very likely to be late arriving at Clapham. It will be extremely stressful and there is a very good chance of you missing your connection and therefore your flight.

My advice is get an earlier train or later flight:

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

The direct train at 8.09 or the 8.30 train with a change at Clapham Junction is a difficult one to advise on.

All factors bar the Southampton departure time - cost, simplicity (esp with luggage), availability of seats (the 8.30 is a commuter / business travel line to central London), no worries about hauling luggage via elevators at Clapham Junction, arrive Gatwick ten minutes earlier - all point to the direct 8.09 direct train.

The only downside is that it gives you 20 minutes less to disembark & get to the station.

I concur with gumshoe - the other advantages of the 8.09 direct train are worth the initial rush.

Unassisted disembarkation at Southampton normally starts around 7am, with regular disembarkation in tranches between 7.30 and about 9.30.

For the direct 8.09 you need to disembark unassisted - don't leave your bags in the corridor on the last night for crew to put in the terminal, instead keep your bags in your cabin and schlepp them with you when you disembark.

That also has the advantages of being ahead of the herd, no lines at the ship's elevators, no hunting for your cases in the terminal, no long line at immigration, and no line waiting for taxis - you'd probably be in a taxi by about 7.20 for the 5 to 10 minute ride to Southampton Central station (no more than £10)., and om the station platform with half-an-hour to spare

For those reasons I'd advise unassisted disembarkation even for the 8.30 train. But if unassisted disembarkation is difficult for you, stick with the 8.30 - and if you're allocated a disembarkation slot later than 7.30 go to Guest Relations and ask for the earliest slot, citing your onward transportation - I've never known anyone be declined an early slot.

Your platform at Southampton for the 8.09 direct ((platform 3A) is in the middle of the rail lines, so ask the driver to take you to the nearest entrance (Western Esplanade)

There are elevators to take you to platform 3, 3A is the front half of that platform (train is shorter than the platform.

In the same way that there's another Gatwick-bound train at Clapham Junction if you missed that connection, there's still that 8.30 train from Southampton if you somehow missed the direct 8.09 although your advance £6 tickets for the 8.09 would be trash & you'd have to buy fresh tickets for the 8.30 at the full walk-up price of £43. 

In other words, if the 8.09 direct train that we've advised doesn't work out it'll cost you each about £20 more in train fares than if you ignored us, but you won't miss your flight. 

Since it was Gumshoe  who was the first to advise the 8.09, you'd have to sue them for the £20 each, not me.😃

The station at Gatwick airport is in the South Terminal - there's a shuttle if your flight is from the North Terminal

JB 🙂

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/14/how-to-get-a-one-way-europcar-uk-rental-for-just-1-2/

Could you taxi to europecar at ?Southampton airport and pick up the car. I always give 1hr 45 mins to Gatwick.

We always drive to Gatwick from Southampton where we live. My neighbour always get a taxi with https://www.vikingcars.co.uk/  I have used to get to the port.

14 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

The bigger issue might be the less than two hour arrival time at the airport.  Most airports in Europe recommend, and some require, an arrival time at least three hours prior to your flight's departure time.  Some airports will refuse to check in passengers who arrive less than two hours early.

Thank you - I appreciate your insight!

12 hours ago, casofilia said:

@knsky

Look at https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/SOU/GTW/120723/0730/dep for the trains on the day you want and at the time you want.   See below

If it were me I would go for the 8.09 train

No change

Cheaper

Arrive 10 minutes earlier

The Clapham Junction platform change is quite a long one 7=>13   Look at  https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations-and-destinations/stations-made-easy/clapham-junction-station-plan?rtnurl=http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/details?id=2

Departs at
08:09
Southampton Central [SOU]Platform 3A
2h 00m
0 change(s)
Arrives 
10:09
Gatwick Airport [GTW]Platform 2
Buy fromSelect train operatorAvanti West CoastC2CChiltern RailwaysCrossCountryEast Midlands RailwayGrand CentralGreat NorthernGreat Western RailwayGreater AngliaHull TrainsLNERLondon Northwestern RailwayLumoNorthernScotRailSouth Western RailwaySoutheasternSouthernThameslinkTransPennine ExpressTransport for WalesWest Midlands Railway RailEasyRedspottedhankythetrainline.com

clear.gif

HTH

Mike

Mike - I appreciate it so much - just booked the 8:09! Thank you for the great advise.

11 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Gatwick recommend checking in two hours before the flight, so you should be fine there if you make the trains, even allowing for the travel to the airport from the station, unless your airline has more specific requirements.

However, Chapham Junction is huge and will be busy at that time during the week. You will almost certainly have to go up and down stairs and walk a way. I would want more than 11 minutes.

Add to that that the train from Southampton  is very likely to be late arriving at Clapham. It will be extremely stressful and there is a very good chance of you missing your connection and therefore your flight.

My advice is get an earlier train or later flight:

Excellent advice - just booked an earlier train! Thank you.

12 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Although the itinerary you’ve posted is the fastest, there is a slower - but direct and much cheaper - train leaving Southampton Central at 8.09am that arrives at Gatwick at 10.09am. That should be doable if you’re quick to leave the ship and carry your own luggage - it’s only a 10 minute cab ride to the station.

If you book that train now, it’s only £6 versus £27 for the faster, indirect service via Clapham Junction.

If you do go for the 8.30, that 11 minute transfer at Clapham Junction is doable but tight: you’ll have to get from platform 7 to platform 13 using a footbridge or underpass. It’s a large, extremely busy commuter station. There are elevators. The good news is there’s another train to Gatwick from the same platform just 8 minutes later so if you miss the connection it’s not really an issue.

Personally I’d go for the slower, direct train: it starts at Southampton so you’re guaranteed seats and it avoids the need to transfer. Plus it’s a lovely journey along the south coast and up the Arun valley past Arundel Castle.

Thank you for your valuable advice. We indeed booked the 8:09 without transfer!

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

The direct train at 8.09 or the 8.30 train with a change at Clapham Junction is a difficult one to advise on.

All factors bar the Southampton departure time - cost, simplicity (esp with luggage), availability of seats (the 8.30 is a commuter / business travel line to central London), no worries about hauling luggage via elevators at Clapham Junction, arrive Gatwick ten minutes earlier - all point to the direct 8.09 direct train.

The only downside is that it gives you 20 minutes less to disembark & get to the station.

I concur with gumshoe - the other advantages of the 8.09 direct train are worth the initial rush.

Unassisted disembarkation at Southampton normally starts around 7am, with regular disembarkation in tranches between 7.30 and about 9.30.

For the direct 8.09 you need to disembark unassisted - don't leave your bags in the corridor on the last night for crew to put in the terminal, instead keep your bags in your cabin and schlepp them with you when you disembark.

That also has the advantages of being ahead of the herd, no lines at the ship's elevators, no hunting for your cases in the terminal, no long line at immigration, and no line waiting for taxis - you'd probably be in a taxi by about 7.20 for the 5 to 10 minute ride to Southampton Central station (no more than £10)., and om the station platform with half-an-hour to spare

For those reasons I'd advise unassisted disembarkation even for the 8.30 train. But if unassisted disembarkation is difficult for you, stick with the 8.30 - and if you're allocated a disembarkation slot later than 7.30 go to Guest Relations and ask for the earliest slot, citing your onward transportation - I've never known anyone be declined an early slot.

Your platform at Southampton for the 8.09 direct ((platform 3A) is in the middle of the rail lines, so ask the driver to take you to the nearest entrance (Western Esplanade)

There are elevators to take you to platform 3, 3A is the front half of that platform (train is shorter than the platform.

In the same way that there's another Gatwick-bound train at Clapham Junction if you missed that connection, there's still that 8.30 train from Southampton if you somehow missed the direct 8.09 although your advance £6 tickets for the 8.09 would be trash & you'd have to buy fresh tickets for the 8.30 at the full walk-up price of £43. 

In other words, if the 8.09 direct train that we've advised doesn't work out it'll cost you each about £20 more in train fares than if you ignored us, but you won't miss your flight. 

Since it was Gumshoe  who was the first to advise the 8.09, you'd have to sue them for the £20 each, not me.😃

The station at Gatwick airport is in the South Terminal - there's a shuttle if your flight is from the North Terminal

JB 🙂

JB - Your guidance throughout our planning stage have been invaluable! Here's a pint or two to YOU!!! Thank you so much! We just booked the 8:09 direct!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, knsky said:

Thank you all for your guidance and advice! We are all set now w an earlier train. Nancy

I hope you enjoy your trip and that all goes well for you.  It sounds like you have your plans in order and that you are comfortable with close connections and a tightly scheduled itinerary.  I likely would not want to cut it so close.  On our last cruise arrival in Southampton, delays with Customs meant that it took two hours from the time we walked out of our stateroom until we got into a taxi.  It usually takes less than an hour.  We had allowed almost two hours, which meant that we were a couple of minutes late to catch our National Express bus to Heathrow.  Fortunately we had planned on getting to the airport four hours early, so we were able to make it to our flight.  If we had planned all of our connections as tightly as you have, though, we would have missed our flight.

Don’t worry too much about delays at customs. On a British Isles cruise there shouldn’t be any customs at all in Southampton.

I assume that The Travelling Man was on a cruise from outside the UK (maybe a transatlantic) where there will be customs, but on a normal round UK cruise time to get off the ship is based on how quick you can walk.

16 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

some require, an arrival time at least three hours prior to your flight's departure time.

Can you point to an example of this? Are you saying that check-in closes three hours before a flight somewhere? 

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Can you point to an example of this? Are you saying that check-in closes three hours before a flight somewhere? 

It's the major UK airport (LGW) and OP is flying to the US, therefore it's an international flight, so 3 hours is advisable to check-in. I think they close 1 1/2 to 2 hours before - due to long security lines and walk to gate. This would be cutting a bit too close.

Check-ins for the UK Domestic and European flights open 2 hours before flight.

11 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

It's the major UK airport (LGW) and OP is flying to the US, therefore it's an international flight, so 3 hours is advisable to check-in. I think they close 1 1/2 to 2 hours before - due to long security lines and walk to gate. This would be cutting a bit too close.

Check-ins for the UK Domestic and European flights open 2 hours before flight.

Security at Gatwick is very efficient. Check-in generally closes 60 minutes before departure.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Don’t worry too much about delays at customs. On a British Isles cruise there shouldn’t be any customs at all in Southampton.

I assume that The Travelling Man was on a cruise from outside the UK (maybe a transatlantic) where there will be customs, but on a normal round UK cruise time to get off the ship is based on how quick you can walk.

Our cruise was from Copenhagen via Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, and France on the Prima last September.  The OP's cruise on the Dawn is scheduled to depart Southampton with stops within the EU at Le Havre, Zeebrugge, Amsterdam, Hamburg, and two places in Ireland before returning to Southampton.  Our itinerary was slightly different, but included many of the same ports of call.  I do not live in Great Britain, so I will defer to those who do as to the customs of British Customs.  It seems reasonable to me, however, that the OP might possibly encounter some of the same delays that we did upon arrival in Southampton.

1 minute ago, The Traveling Man said:

Our cruise was from Copenhagen via Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, and France on the Prima last September.  The OP's cruise on the Dawn is scheduled to depart Southampton with stops within the EU at Le Havre, Zeebrugge, Amsterdam, Hamburg, and two places in Ireland before returning to Southampton.  Our itinerary was slightly different, but included many of the same ports of call.  I do not live in Great Britain, so I will defer to those who do as to the customs of British Customs.  It seems reasonable to me, however, that the OP might possibly encounter some of the same delays that we did upon arrival in Southampton.

Yes, so your cruise originated outside the UK whereas the OP’s is a closed loop. The UK Border Force is far more likely to take an interest in the former than the latter, hence your delays at passport control. After a closed loop cruise it’s rare to even see the Border Force at Southampton, let alone have to queue.