Arvia Adventure Begins - May 2023

Megabear2

I wonder if this is the reason why our Stop at Palma was cancelled . Perhaps operational reasons are not enough buses. I think that stick of yours may come in useful when you get back to the ship MB.

This is not what you need when you thought things were improving. 

If you have not booked anything for La Spezia yet i can recoomend taking the train (every 20 mins apx) to Monterosso and just spending 4 hours there then return to the station and get a taxi back to the ship. Return fare on train is 10 euros 5 euro each way taxi 10 euros each way but agree price. At the station walk past first lot of queues to the machines near the tolilets to get tickets or there is a kiosk just after the first machines where you can buy drinks and tickets. An all day ticket is 18 euros but if you want a relaxing time in a nice place i would with hindsight stay here . It takes about 25 mins to get to Montesorro.

By the way toilets at the station are 1 euro. The station is a good 30 min walk from port.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Well my patience has officially expired!  Close to 1.200 people in queue for transfer back to ship.  They've run out if queue room, it's back in the local restaurant.  Mayhem. Not moved for 15 minutes.  Apparently every 15 minutes.

MSC- see photo - no queue. Celebrity buses queued no passengers to get on them.

Total pants I'm afraid.

20230519_135647.jpg

20230519_135640.jpg

They need about 6 buses to get that queue back to the ship. It looks like their logistics has failed again. I hope it's not too hot atm and that everyone gets back soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CarlaMarie said:

I'm so sorry you are all caught up in this. I honestly do not know what is going on. Are there staff there providing water? I dread to think of the queue size to get back on the ship on the dockside. 

No one there at all.  I got the ladies a taxi.  I'm still queing.  Spoke to Intercruise agent who said P&O only booked 20 buses which she says it totally inadequate.  Being a martyr to the case (!!) I'm staying to see.how long it takes me.  The queue is now doubled back across the road and round the corner.

I'm now about a football pitch from the front. One bus loading plus the assistance shuttle - I've not seen one of those in the nearly two hours.

There's a man on white ahead, first P&O guy I've seen.  He's currently in a shouting match with an American guy who's apparently on here.

Just seen some very worried looking crew guys with their shopping who need to get back.

The lady in front tells me at 10.15 announcements were made asking people not to try to get off due to congestion.  She got off at 12.15.

We are now pass the complaining stage into the not so long to it all being all 'orf to coin an old Essex phrase. 

Meantime all the Celebrity Edge and MSC guys are boarding their shuttles absolutely gobsmacked we're putting up with it.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I'm so sorry you are all caught up in this. I honestly do not know what is going on. Are there staff there providing water? I dread to think of the queue size to get back on the ship on the 

Edited by Megabear2
Double post sorry!

I wonder if all the people queing are select fare and getting a free shuttle journey.

there is an alternative. the terminus for a local bus is just over a 1000 yards from the berth. It runs through Palma to the Airport. bus No 1, runs at 12 minute intervals.

i have used it several times in the past to get into Palma when the ship is docked at the 'distant' berth

• Thanks 1

Just got on the coach after an at least 2 hour+ queue. Disgraceful! 

Celebrity Edge and MSC had no problems. This was purely a P&O capacity planning issue.

Will certainly be complaining! Breathing in all the fumes from buses as well queuing for so long. 

• Like 5

I arrived back 16.32 by my phone.  Now on-board.  Last bus is meant to be 5.00pm, all on-board 5.30.

It will take a miracle ... Palma traffic is building.  Just before I left the Guardia were having words about buses blocking the traffic- that's all of them not just our paltry offering.

The ladies were in their lates 80's and one was 90.  How could you not help, they were on distress. I'd gave felt guilty forever.

I have dinner in the Beach House 6.15. Never been there, hope it's not difficult I'm exhausted. 30 minutes rest, then a shower I feel.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DS_Dean said:

Just got on the coach after an at least 2 hour+ queue. Disgraceful! 

Celebrity Edge and MSC had no problems. This was purely a P&O capacity planning issue.

Will certainly be complaining! Breathing in all the fumes from buses as well queuing for so long. 

I announced very loudly on my bus that if people don't complain they'll do it again.  I got a round of applause! I hope they all follow up.

Can't wait to hear the Camby Cartoon reading tonight ....

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I announced very loudly on my bus that if people don't complain they'll do it again.  I got a round of applause! I hope they all follow up.

Can't wait to hear the Camby Cartoon reading tonight ....

Wonder if there will be an apology on the tannoy tonight?

How can something so normal go this badly wrong?

• Like 5

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

Wonder if there will be an apology on the tannoy tonight?

How can something so normal go this badly wrong?

Everything is abnormal on this ship! This is their normal.  It's built for queuing and queue you most certainly do.

• Like 6

Have just seen comments across social media, you are certainly not the only one @Megabear2 who has had problems throughout this cruise. There is a video of passengers queuing to get on the shuttle bus into Palma in a very lengthy queue. 

Pleased both you and @DS_Dean are back to the ship.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Have just seen comments across social media, you are certainly not the only one @Megabear2 who has had problems throughout this cruise. There is a video of passengers queuing to get on the shuttle bus into Palma in a very lengthy queue. 

Yes, I heard they asked people not to get off at one point.  I went fairly early as I wanted to visit a specific place to buy olive oil and then see the Cathedral.  Some I spoke to only got off at just after 12 saw the queue and headed back to the return after only a couple of hours.

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Everything is abnormal on this ship! This is their normal.  It's built for queuing and queue you most certainly do.

We quite fancied the itinerary that you are on for Summer 25 (also on Arvia) but didn’t book as we felt that the launch prices were too high and would drop closer to sailing. Having read about your experiences I am sensing that we dodged a bullet!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We quite fancied the itinerary that you are on for Summer 25 (also on Arvia) but didn’t book as we felt that the launch prices were too high and would drop closer to sailing. Having read about your experiences I am sensing that we dodged a bullet!

My loyalty is now VERY stretched. I'm not in Yorkypete's camp yet, but I'm only a couple more nightmare steps from it.  I'm dreading Marseille as it's bad most times for shuttles.  

I almost wish I hadn't been found the cabin and then I'd be on that lovely BA flight on my way to Heathrow.  

Goodness knows how they're going to sort this.  Spoke to the guy next to me on the bus and he said I was booked on here for November, I'm not now. Most people around me in the queue either first time cruisers or first time on P&O were saying never again.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4

As someone else just said I expect more people are using the P & O buses are they are free for Select passengers and not that much for Saver passengers. Whereas MSC and Celebrity the shuttle buses cost quite a lot, so obviously lots make their own way, we certainly did when using both these cruise lines. 

• Like 3

Hmm yes heard some similar sentiments from passengers. One person was new to cruising and asked if this is normal. Don't think he'll be converted to cruising unless the rest of the cruise improves!

Others we spoke to said they prefer smaller ships as doesn't seem like p&o have the experience to manage passengers on larger ships.

Back on board now... At least there is Rock On in theatre tonight. They are good!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

With all due respect to Arvia. The ship herself has zero impact on how a queue of passengers is managed in Palma

This is entirely logistics miles away from the ship

Blame P and O but not Arvia

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

My loyalty is now VERY stretched. I'm not in Yorkypete's camp yet, but I'm only a couple more nightmare steps from it.  I'm dreading Marseille as it's bad most times for shuttles.  

I almost wish I hadn't been found the cabin and then I'd be on that lovely BA flight on my way to Heathrow.  

Goodness knows how they're going to sort this.  Spoke to the guy next to me on the bus and he said I was booked on here for November, I'm not now. Most people around me in the queue either first time cruisers or first time on P&O were saying never again.

What I am struggling to understand is why is Arvia still plagued with all these issues (freedom dining, shuttle buses etc)? It’s not a new ship anymore and presumably these aren’t maiden port visits, so having to deal with thousands of passengers needing shuttle buses in places like Palma isn’t a new issue, so what has gone wrong? It surely can’t be like this every time?

It’s bad enough having to use speciality restaurants in order to avoid the MDR issues, but having to use cabs due to 2 hour queues for shuttle buses is beyond a joke. 

• Like 9

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

With all due respect to Arvia. The ship herself has zero impact on how a queue of passengers is managed in Palma

Regarding the shuttle issue - P&O know how many passengers they have, they know they offer the shuttle free with the select fare and know that those who aren't select are likely to pay and use it. Complete underestimation yet again. I agree this is not an Arvia problem. 

However, the restaurants and theatres not meeting demand, small pools and lack of inside/outside space is an Arvia problem for the number of passengers she was built for. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You're not the one queuing on here ICF.  Arvia IS built for queuing, she has wide corridors and funnel zones in the same way as Walt Disney World and the largest Royal Caribbean ships.  The difference is with WDW they're interactive to take your mind off the queue and on the RC ships the crowds are managed so well you very rarely see a queue.

It's not an insult to say Arvia is built for queuing, the lanes are there specifically for that purpose, the problem is P&O aren't managing them onboard but are making the queues more obvious by their failure.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

What I am struggling to understand is why is Arvia still plagued with all these issues (freedom dining, shuttle buses etc)? It’s not a new ship anymore and presumably these aren’t maiden port visits, so having to deal with thousands of passengers needing shuttle buses in places like Palma isn’t a new issue, so what has gone wrong? It surely can’t be like this every time?

It’s bad enough having to use speciality restaurants in order to avoid the MDR issues, but having to use cabs due to 2 hour queues for shuttle buses is beyond a joke. 

I imagine the mdr issues on Arvia are down to the fact that two of the mdr's (as on Iona) are no longer mdr's but alternative dining venues, largely free but with some supplements?

• Like 1

Well Captain Camby did apologise on tannoy. I assume to avoid en masse complaints at reception.

Perhaps they should offer something for those that went ashore and had this painful experience. Some OBC might sweeten passengers frustrations. 

• Like 1