Arvia Adventure Begins - May 2023

Megabear2

3 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Are there still cabins set aside for quarantine?

Yes there are. Deck 15 aft balconies. They gave me one to sleep in on the second night.  There's a bank of about 10 each side.  No one in them though - they had to check before they let me go there to sleep.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Are there still cabins set aside for quarantine?

They would have to know the exact number on board.    The captain would need to provide the ship's manifest before the port authority (Southampton in this case) cleared them to sail.

You would think so wouldn’t you but on Azura they had no idea where we were most of the time judging by our experiences on her. There are still cabins set aside for iso on Azura and I think MB said she was put in a cabin used for crew quarantine but don’t know about passenger iso cabins on Arvia

I'm a bit confused by all this. You say about the cabin you are now in, (in post #103), "very strangely it's next door to my original non upgraded one".  But in your earlier post #22, you said, "I had booked a select inside but couldn't choose a cabin only area"

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Seems a totally reasonable suggestion but I doubt it's going to be taken onboard.  I'm sure many would be happy with that.  Unfortunately most I've had contact with say they aren't keen on the ship. I'm sitting with a lovely family of 20 at the moment, their second cruise after Ventura 7 years ago.  They're disappointed after waiting 14 months for this holiday. Nothing to do with noise in their case but they are encountering balcony smoking and general issues including kids on the dance floor at 11.00pm during the silent disco and inability to book tables near each other as a large group.

Balcony smoking would be a red line for me. Report it and insist it is stopped. A dangerous and stupid activity.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Seems a totally reasonable suggestion but I doubt it's going to be taken onboard.  I'm sure many would be happy with that.  Unfortunately most I've had contact with say they aren't keen on the ship. I'm sitting with a lovely family of 20 at the moment, their second cruise after Ventura 7 years ago.  They're disappointed after waiting 14 months for this holiday. Nothing to do with noise in their case but they are encountering balcony smoking and general issues including kids on the dance floor at 11.00pm during the silent disco and inability to book tables near each other as a large group.

Re the balcony smoking, this was something we encountered on Arvia last month.  Not good to hear that this is continuing.  

I reported the selfish smoker four times during our cruise.  Followed up with a written complaint when we got home.  Usual generic auto reply, followed a few days later by email stating they will investigate the matter and get back to me.  We're still within the 28 days of my initial complaint so nothing further so far.

The main point of my complaint was P & O's inability to satisfactorily deal with the issue.  Is it a case of they can't deal with it, ie they need to catch the person sucking on a Cohiba, or that they choose not to deal with it properly.

After my third complaint, the Deck Manager spoke me with me in our cabin and sent us a complimentary bottle of house wine.  Taking into account that the selfish smoker continued with their behaviour, I wonder whether the bottle of wine of was simply a fobbing off.  Especially as the smoking continued on a further occasion, albeit after our final port of call, so the ultimate penalty of being booted off could no longer be applied.

Rant over.  What's disappointing to hear is that after several complaints only two cruises ago, and apparently an investigation into my complaints, this is still happening on board the same ship.

I

• Like 7

On Arvia last month the Beachcomber pool and bar on deck 18 was designated adults only and very handy for my deck 17 cabin, just nip up the spiral staircase. I did notice the adults only notices were written on cardboard so maybe a late change following the Easter cruise.

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Re the balcony smoking, this was something we encountered on Arvia last month.  Not good to hear that this is continuing.  

I reported the selfish smoker four times during our cruise.  Followed up with a written complaint when we got home.  Usual generic auto reply, followed a few days later by email stating they will investigate the matter and get back to me.  We're still within the 28 days of my initial complaint so nothing further so far.

The main point of my complaint was P & O's inability to satisfactorily deal with the issue.  Is it a case of they can't deal with it, ie they need to catch the person sucking on a Cohiba, or that they choose not to deal with it properly.

After my third complaint, the Deck Manager spoke me with me in our cabin and sent us a complimentary bottle of house wine.  Taking into account that the selfish smoker continued with their behaviour, I wonder whether the bottle of wine of was simply a fobbing off.  Especially as the smoking continued on a further occasion, albeit after our final port of call, so the ultimate penalty of being booted off could no longer be applied.

Rant over.  What's disappointing to hear is that after several complaints only two cruises ago, and apparently an investigation into my complaints, this is still happening on board the same ship.

I

Awful that you should have to put up with that. I’m afraid that somebody smoking or vaping on a balcony would bring out the absolute worst in me. If the deck managers didn’t get it resolved I’d be asking why the offending passengers haven’t been offloaded from the ship. If they offered me their house wine rather than deal with the issue, I would use it to extinguish the offending cigarette (given that anti freeze is of no use when I don’t have the car with me) 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I

The same happened on Britannia last week regarding vaping. Passengers in a balcony were also feeding seagulls, so my Dad phoned reception to report it and the receptionist said "I will have to check whether that is allowed or not". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Palaceman said:

I'm a bit confused by all this. You say about the cabin you are now in, (in post #103), "very strangely it's next door to my original non upgraded one".  But in your earlier post #22, you said, "I had booked a select inside but couldn't choose a cabin only area"

Some select fares you don't choose the actual cabin anymore. You choose the cabin area which has a minimum cabin grade. I think megabear was assigned a cabin and then that was upgraded. 

Edited by CarlaMarie

3 hours ago, Palaceman said:

I was originally allocated after booking the cabin no. 4247 - booked 31.3.2023 allocated 03.04.23, upgraded 06.04.23.  You are correct, when I booked I could only select an area, I chose forward inside then as I say they allocated 4247.  I now have the one next door.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

On Arvia last month the Beachcomber pool and bar on deck 18 was designated adults only and very handy for my deck 17 cabin, just nip up the spiral staircase. I did notice the adults only notices were written on cardboard so maybe a late change following the Easter cruise.

I found it this afternoon and can confirm there are now proper notices.  Very popular it seems.  I liked the chairs in the shade as well.  The round wooden pod seating was very pleasant and well used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Glad that you had agood night and enjoyed breakfast.

I have this photo from Oriana in February 2013 and wondered if it had any connection to you?

DSCF1098(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.4845c861a2a4531faa0f5fc46534f095.JPG 

Sadly not me.  They look really sweet, we could have had a teddy bear picnic.  Actually the bear has been very quiet on this cruise and spent most of the past few days in angry mode, ears back and growling while peaking out of the top of my backpack.  Today, he was delighted to have a wander round and meet people.  Travelling with a bear has great advantages you know, everyone seems to loves them. A great icebreaker, it's one of the reasons I get chatting to so many people, they're very intrigued why a lady of my age carries a teddy bear around.

We just had tea in the Atrium and he didn't get a cake or even a marmalade sandwich like his distant cousin from Peru.

However i've just come back to the room and found we have a visitor, not seen one of these on P&O in years.

20230517_144037.jpg

20230517_144030.jpg

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sadly not me.  They look really sweet, we could have had a teddy bear picnic.  Actually the bear has been very quiet on this cruise and spent most of the past few days in angry mode, ears back and growling while peaking out of the top of my backpack.  Today, he was delighted to have a wander round and meet people.  Travelling with a bear has great advantages you know, everyone seems to loves them. A great icebreaker, it's one of the reasons I get chatting to so many people, they're very intrigued why a lady of my age carries a teddy bear around.

We just had tea in the Atrium and he didn't get a cake or even a marmalade sandwich like his distant cousin from Peru.

However i've just come back to the room and found we have a visitor, not seen one of these on P&O in years.

20230517_144037.jpg

20230517_144030.jpg

It's a giraffe?

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Modelled on me ... a baby elephant!

Hi MB2. I just wanted to check in with you and make sure you're feeling much better tonight? I've followed your posts during the day and it seems like things are a bit more positive. Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Take care and best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hi MB2. I just wanted to check in with you and make sure you're feeling much better tonight? I've followed your posts during the day and it seems like things are a bit more positive. Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Take care and best wishes. Jane xxx

Hello Jane.  Thank you for thinking of me.  Been a very nice uneventful day today, very normal in fact.  Just returned to the lovely quiet cabin a short time ago to catch up on some work stuff for my husband but had a lovely dinner for Celebration Night (lobster and prawns made a surprise reappearance) and then went to watch the Digital show in the theatre. 

I've finally got round to booking my spa for tomorrow so plan more relaxation. Captain Camby's report is for stiff breezes tomorrow with showers so it seemed the ideal thing to do.  

It's amazing how much difference being in a quiet location and being able to relax has made.  If it carries on like today I might even forget the first three days.

Will give an update tomorrow but all in all it's been a good day.

(P.s.  I've had a reply from one of my contacts to ask if they're looking after me properly now and to say a surprise is on it's way later this week to cheer me up)

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello Jane.  Thank you for thinking of me.  Been a very nice uneventful day today, very normal in fact.  Just returned to the lovely quiet cabin a short time ago to catch up on some work stuff for my husband but had a lovely dinner for Celebration Night (lobster and prawns made a surprise reappearance) and then went to watch the Digital show in the theatre. 

I've finally got round to booking my spa for tomorrow so plan more relaxation. Captain Camby's report is for stiff breezes tomorrow with showers so it seemed the ideal thing to do.  

It's amazing how much difference being in a quiet location and being able to relax has made.  If it carries on like today I might even forget the first three days.

Will give an update tomorrow but all in all it's been a good day.

(P.s.  I've had a reply from one of my contacts to ask if they're looking after me properly now and to say a surprise is on it's way later this week to cheer me up)

That's so good to hear MB2.

Have a good sleep tonight and a lovely relaxing treatment in the spa tomorrow.

I look forward to hearing about your surprise later in the week - a full refund would do it for me!

Take care and best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 6

Glad to hear that things have improved and hope it stays that way. Look forward to hearing about the rest of the cruise it will give me some idea as to what to expect when we are on in July.

take care hope all goes well.

• Like 4

Following this thread with interest. We are booked on deck 5 mid rooms fwd so intrigued as to how noisy they will be. Standard people vaping and thinking they are above the rules. And standard companies and staff dont want to confront them. 

Looking forward to hearing about the ship and some if any good points.

Every ship and cruise line we have been on always have those rude people onboard its a fact of life sadly. 

Thanks for the updates though and hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I was sooooo tempted to do that..... 

Phone reception and tell them you can see smoke issuing from an adjacent cabin window. The captain won't be happy to find the fire team have been sent on a wild goose chase. 

• Like 1