Arvia Adventure Begins - May 2023

Megabear2

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello Jane.  Thank you for thinking of me.  Been a very nice uneventful day today, very normal in fact.  Just returned to the lovely quiet cabin a short time ago to catch up on some work stuff for my husband but had a lovely dinner for Celebration Night (lobster and prawns made a surprise reappearance) and then went to watch the Digital show in the theatre. 

I've finally got round to booking my spa for tomorrow so plan more relaxation. Captain Camby's report is for stiff breezes tomorrow with showers so it seemed the ideal thing to do.  

It's amazing how much difference being in a quiet location and being able to relax has made.  If it carries on like today I might even forget the first three days.

Will give an update tomorrow but all in all it's been a good day.

(P.s.  I've had a reply from one of my contacts to ask if they're looking after me properly now and to say a surprise is on it's way later this week to cheer me up)

I’m so pleased for you & keeping my fingers crossed that everything remains settled for the rest of your cruise. I’m full of admiration for your resilience & especially that you have been able to not let it cloud all the good things that you are enjoying now. 

I would be exactly like you, more upset at the lack of resolution & being stood up for multiple appointments than the initial problem itself.
Looking forward to more of your very balanced posts & comments going forward.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Happy afloat said:

Phone reception and tell them you can see smoke issuing from an adjacent cabin window. The captain won't be happy to find the fire team have been sent on a wild goose chase. 

I did.  All they did was put a reminder about no smoking on balconies in his pigeon hole.  Third report the Deck Manager knocked on his door, the fella didn't answer.  He was there, so I invited the deck manager onto our balcony so he could see for himself that the bloke was there, however by that time he had stopped smoking.  I didn't get any feedback about what happened or didn't happen after that.

56 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I did.  All they did was put a reminder about no smoking on balconies in his pigeon hole.  Third report the Deck Manager knocked on his door, the fella didn't answer.  He was there, so I invited the deck manager onto our balcony so he could see for himself that the bloke was there, however by that time he had stopped smoking.  I didn't get any feedback about what happened or didn't happen after that.

IMO that reminder about no smoking should have informed him that if he does it again he will be leaving the ship at the next port AND charged for sanitising the cabin.

• Like 7

Good afternoon to those still with me!  A few observations from yesterday and then on later to today's trials and tribulations!!! I'm really trying hard to be upbeat folks, particularly in light of the first time cruisers who are reading the other negative thread on the other side.

Yesterday, my own "first day" so to speak was very pleasant.  I finally got to see the upper decks rather than the deck 7 reception and it was warm and sunny.  Personal observations from those areas, we all have different views, so don't take them as gospel!

1. The three outside pools are way too small for the ship.  I'm a swimmer, not particularly good and the one I tried took 3 small breaststroke pulls from one end to the other.  The two panoramic pools are filled to the brim with children, including a couple of small babies.  I cannot find any other pool they could use but understand there is a splash zone.  For me as a 5'7" woman I felt it would be dangerous for me to try to swim in these pools with the little ones.

2. The front pool as mentioned earlier is now designated Adults Only, a good move.  However again it was full to the brim, this time with adults just standing having a chat. Finding anywhere to sit in any form of sun was nigh on impossible when I wandered by at 2.00pm. There were some shaded seating areas which were free and quite pleasant.

3. Celebration Night dining.  Following the useful information from folk who have travelled Arvia I booked before leaving home all my dining including Zenith (I like tablecloths!) for formal night.  Having not been to the restaurant before I went early, around 17.55 to check the lie of the land.  The not booked line wasn't too bad to start with but from my seat in the photo gallery I watched it build.  At 18.13 I entered, walked straight pass the queue to the reservation desk and seated on a nice table of 6 exactly 18.17.  A friendly waiter arrived in seconds - he'd served some of my companion the night before - some friendly jokes and our orders were taken.  This gala menu was vastly superior to the one offered on Britannia in December, very good choice including lobster, prawns and fillet beef amongst the normal veggie options and also a chicken dish and the always on steak.

I had the full Marco menu just to try it for size etc.  First course crab was small but extremely tasty and as a starter set the tone.  The soup was also good.  The main course came with the lobster and prawns wrapped in pastry accompanied by vegetables and a cream potato.  To me it was large.  More importantly it was extremely tasty and hot.  My table companions who had the fillet were equally impressed, the one person with chicken a little disappointed as he found it dry.

As the food was fairly substantial I chose the ice cream to finish but the sweets my companions had looked good and they all seemed pleased.  OverallI I'd say this was a very good meal, well presented  hot and tasty.

4. Dress.  As I said elsewhere everyone seemed to have made an effort. Those I saw casually dressed were smart in the required areas, certainly no shorts or vests in sight.  Most if the little ones looked absolutely lovely in pretty party dresses and mini me dad suits, I loved them!

5. Photographers. As you'd expect with all this finery, they were out in force. It was annoying they shut the stairs in the atrium all night so you were forced to go back through the lift area for the stairs if you wanted to move through.  The central atrium "dance floor" area was also commandeered for queuing and staging. Not a deal breaker but annoying if you were trying to move through to another venue.

6. Amber Lounge/Atrium.  As to be expected this area was rammed with people mainly because of the photographs being taken.  Seating was at a premium. After visiting the theatre I sat for 20 minutes with.my free drink voucher but no waiters came near nor by. Those I saw looked heavily laden and harassed.  After the 20 minutes I have up and retired to my room as I had some work to catch up on.

7. The theatre.  I had visited there on nights 1 and 2 and been impressed. Those acts were musical and a comedian.  Tonight was a production show with the Headliners.  I thought it was great fun, extremely high tech and very entertaining. It tried hard to appeal to everyone and seemed to hit the mark with most who were there.

However there's one thing to note about this theatre: the high tech specification means it's loud and I me an VERY loud.  Looking around I saw some older folk putting tissues in their ears!!  Noise as you will have gathered, is something I'm sensitive to. The theatre however did not trouble me, it was comparable noise to going to an indoor music venue  however I could see how it would difficult for some people, particularly anyone with hearing aids or problems.  For my part I loved it however, just sad I'm not allowed to book the same this twice (It's on again tonight,).

8. You are now talking to a Pointless celebrity !  In the Club House they ran a version called Less is More - clearly a copyright situation.  With 3 couples volunteering a fourth was needed or the competition couldn't take place so myself and another solo lady said we would make up the numbers.  As big outsiders we expected it to be short lived but luck was on our side with questions on Shakespeare, Elvis, David Beckham and premier league football.  Sometimes it's helpful to know a load of drivel amongst the works of the Bard!!  I'm.now in possession of a large book of gold stickers, is hoped for a medal like Princess gave me last year but hey I'm a winner so what the heck!!

So there we have yesterday in detail.  I'm off to the spa now and will return with today's exploits in glorious Technicolor later.  For those who are staying with me THAT will be interesting!

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2023 at 6:44 PM, Selbourne said:

Interesting what you say about construction. With a few exceptions, when we cruise with P&O we hear noise from cabins both above and beside us (drawers opening and closing, TV if loud and sometimes even conversations). Sometimes enough to wake us. We were really struck on QM2 the other week that we didn’t hear a sound from outside the cabin. Not a dicky bird. I couldn’t help but wonder if the construction quality and, in particular, sound insulation, was better?  

No, it's just that everyone on Cunard ships is in bed by 10pm! Once, we dared to stay up past midnight and went out on deck on Victoria, only for an anxious-looking security guard asking if we were okay - maybe she thought the quietness of the place had driven us to contemplate jumping overboard😆!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Well the joys of Arvia communication just keep on giving!

The one and only excursion I booked was for La Spezia to visit Andrea Bocelli's home and his vineyard, although massively expensive at £305 to me a real highlight and partly the reason I chose an Arvia cruise calling at La Spezia.  I know obviously there's always a risk you won't get somewhere, and particularly with the current devastation in Northern Italy I've half been expecting to not even call there.

However on returning to my room I have had a notification from my bank informing me of a return of funds from P&O.  There's no note from the ship tour office, no notification in the app and when I called to check I've just been informed they know nothing about it.

To top this all of tours in the app show availability but if I try to reserve a place it says not available. So are we going to Italy or not I asked? Yes of course we are ...

Left hand, right hand?

I'm off to my Epicurean dinner and on to the elusive 710 Club after.  To quote my operatic hero "Time to Say Goodbye"?

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Megabear2,

Sorry to hear of all your trials and tribulations. Hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly.

A question for yourself or anyone else: We are on the Ventura in September and the Arvia next March. It's been a good few years since we last cruised with P&O, and I am a bit confused as to the eating arrangements. We paid for a select fare, with freedom dining, and were expecting to just wander up to one of the dining rooms around 7pm and, if no table was available, get a pager and wait to be called. But, it sounds different now, is that correct? If so, can someone please tell me how it all works. And about having to book for the evening entertainment also. 

Many thanks.

Helen

50 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well the joys of Arvia communication just keep on giving!

The one and only excursion I booked was for La Spezia to visit Andrea Bocelli's home and his vineyard, although massively expensive at £305 to me a real highlight and partly the reason I chose an Arvia cruise calling at La Spezia.  I know obviously there's always a risk you won't get somewhere, and particularly with the current devastation in Northern Italy I've half been expecting to not even call there.

However on returning to my room I have had a notification from my bank informing me of a return of funds from P&O.  There's no note from the ship tour office, no notification in the app and when I called to check I've just been informed they know nothing about it.

To top this all of tours in the app show availability but if I try to reserve a place it says not available. So are we going to Italy or not I asked? Yes of course we are ...

Left hand, right hand?

I'm off to my Epicurean dinner and on to the elusive 710 Club after.  To quote my operatic hero "Time to Say Goodbye"?

Maybe they are gifting you this excursion by way of an apology for the cabin debacles ……? You can but hope! 🤞🙏

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nellydean said:

No, it's just that everyone on Cunard ships is in bed by 10pm! Once, we dared to stay up past midnight and went out on deck on Victoria, only for an anxious-looking security guard asking if we were okay - maybe she thought the quietness of the place had driven us to contemplate jumping overboard😆!

Excellent. Just as we like it. No late night noise 😂 I went for a late night wander around all the outdoor areas on QM2 and I was the sole person on the top open decks and forward looking viewpoints. Quite a nice, if surreal, experience actually! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Excellent. Just as we like it. No late night noise 😂 I went for a late night wander around all the outdoor areas on QM2 and I was the sole person on the top open decks and forward looking viewpoints. Quite a nice, if surreal, experience actually! 

If you go transatlantic on QM2 you can quite often go star gazing every night with an astronomer. He brings a telescope and it's generally amazing on a clear night.  If you're lucky enough to get a clear crisp calm winter night it's absolutely magical.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nellydean said:

Hi Megabear2,

Sorry to hear of all your trials and tribulations. Hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly.

A question for yourself or anyone else: We are on the Ventura in September and the Arvia next March. It's been a good few years since we last cruised with P&O, and I am a bit confused as to the eating arrangements. We paid for a select fare, with freedom dining, and were expecting to just wander up to one of the dining rooms around 7pm and, if no table was available, get a pager and wait to be called. But, it sounds different now, is that correct? If so, can someone please tell me how it all works. And about having to book for the evening entertainment also. 

Many thanks.

Helen

Hi Helen.  Re Arvia apparently on this voyage if you choose to take a pager your average wait is around 1 1/2 hours from 6.30 joining- that's when the app starts taking bookings.  That information is based on at least 10 people telling me that today.  You can book in advance before leaving home for times between 5.30 and 6.30pm after that you will be on the app.  Because I'm already booked for all my dinners I've not used it for dinner.  However I have used it for breakfast and found it very good and quick.

Yesterday evening being Celebration Night they apparently shut down giving out pagers at 7.00pm - again just what I have been told by others.  I can confirm I left the Zenith restaurant at 8.15pm yesterday evening and there was no one queuing whereas on other nights there has been so I'm guessing it's correct.  There is a rumour circulating that a young mum with her two kids took a pager at 5.30pm and after an hour returned it because the boys were hungry and restless and she was worried they'd be a disturbance. As a result she ended up in the buffet in her finest with her son's in their psgenoy suits. As I say a rumour but I can confirm seeing a young lady trying to amuse 2 boys around 6.15pm outside the restaurant.

There's been mayhem on here today with dining/entertainment bookings being lost from the system - it happened on day 2 the first time and many haven't got them back. Tempers were getting quite flared at the 710 Club for the 8.45pm and more were being refused entry than let in.

Personally unless they sort out the reliability issue of the technology I would try to book everything in advance you can and keep a paper copy.  A couple I lunched with today showed me their app which had totally zilch in it and then a sheaf of papers quite clearly showing dining and entertainment reservations.  Even with this they'd been turned away from the show last night being told no seats.  That was completely wrong, I counted 40 seats in my area alone.

I'm sorry it's not really positive or clear. Really don't rely on a walk up and hope the app is working on your voyage is my only suggestion. Otherwise book and eat early.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I know some on here remember Tiswas as we mentioned it before - the Dying Fly Dance.  Well today we can add The Bucket of Water Song to the P&O comedy repertoire!  It's been a windy and at times wet day until late afternoon.  As a result trying to find somewhere to sit inside has been a bit of a challenge. I thought I'd been lucky with a comfortable chair on Deck 17 of the Sky Dome ... Arvia thought otherwise!  Having a cuppa chatting to three ladies a light in the ceiling above us suddenly went out and literally two buckets of freezing water cascaded out and directly on to us, and I do mean a literal flood.  We were absolutely soaked, the pages on one of the lady's books on the table actually disintegrated.  Having kept up from our unexpected cold shower we realised water was also pouring out of an exit sign but luckily no one was sitting there. 

Arvia clearly has hidden gems awaiting us round every corner ....

Anyway briefly, Epicurean dinner was okay but not the standard I've had on Britannia and Azura - more on that tomorrow - the 710 Club I loved but a real fiasco for some - see above.

Palma is on tomorrow after all the will we won't we discussion tomorrow and I'm £305 better off because my trip in Italy is cancelled!  Now do I go to Portovenere for the fourth time in 10 months or face a 10 hour trip to Florence in the hope I can see David?  Decisions, decisions ... hey oop I'm doing a Scarlet O'Hara - tomorrow's another day... I'll think about that tomorrow!

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, happy v said:

What did you think of 710?

Loved it.  It wasn't the band tonight though but a young girl singer with a guitar which was right up my street- reminded me of clubs I go to in Palm Beach and Dallas. I thought she was great even sung some of her own compositions, I love Thea Gilmore and she reminded me of her when I first saw her 12 years ago.

I'm back in there tomorrow night for the band and I'm keeping next week's bookings too.

• Like 7

Glad to hear things are starting to turn around for you, Megabear. 😀

Have you been to see Pulse yet? When we were on last month they had had a line up change from January; the new female singer has a cracking voice and vocal range, and has a good rapport with the crowd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I know some on here remember Tiswas as we mentioned it before - the Dying Fly Dance.  Well today we can add The Bucket of Water Song to the P&O comedy repertoire!  It's been a windy and at times wet day until late afternoon.  As a result trying to find somewhere to sit inside has been a bit of a challenge. I thought I'd been lucky with a comfortable chair on Deck 17 of the Sky Dome ... Arvia thought otherwise!  Having a cuppa chatting to three ladies a light in the ceiling above us suddenly went out and literally two buckets of freezing water cascaded out and directly on to us, and I do mean a literal flood.  We were absolutely soaked, the pages on one of the lady's books on the table actually disintegrated.  Having kept up from our unexpected cold shower we realised water was also pouring out of an exit sign but luckily no one was sitting there. 

Arvia clearly has hidden gems awaiting us round every corner ....

Anyway briefly, Epicurean dinner was okay but not the standard I've had on Britannia and Azura - more on that tomorrow - the 710 Club I loved but a real fiasco for some - see above.

Palma is on tomorrow after all the will we won't we discussion tomorrow and I'm £305 better off because my trip in Italy is cancelled!  Now do I go to Portovenere for the fourth time in 10 months or face a 10 hour trip to Florence in the hope I can see David?  Decisions, decisions ... hey oop I'm doing a Scarlet O'Hara - tomorrow's another day... I'll think about that tomorrow!

Was there any response re the water soaking? That’s unbelievable! Must have been a shock! 
I must admit I was thinking of booking Arvia but your experiences aren’t convincing me….

Keep your chin up MB

I see it's been a roller coaster ride for you so far

We board Iona tomorrow for Norwegian Fjords. Inside saver. Weve got deck 5. Will see if it's noisy or not and get a complaint in very early if it is

I've had a few weeks off from posting to get admin work done for my businesses

But back with a live thread for Iona I think

• Like 10

So i guess it wasnt Raining Men in the the dome MB lol what a palava.

I think the girl with guitar you are talking about is The Busker on board and we found her to be very good but a waste of time in Brodies with all the chat going on. She had to know 200 songs before they would let her perform on the ship. 

Good job you got your meals booked, we didnt have aproblem getting straight into Zenith for Breakfast at around 8.45 on either port or sea days. Much more civilised than the bun fight Buffet at 10am.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Keep your chin up MB

I see it's been a roller coaster ride for you so far

We board Iona tomorrow for Norwegian Fjords. Inside saver. Weve got deck 5. Will see if it's noisy or not and get a complaint in very early if it is

I've had a few weeks off from posting to get admin work done for my businesses

But back with a live thread for Iona I think

Hi ICF, this admin work thing's a bit of a pain isn't it? I'm currently doing it every evening on here, only an hour or two but essential.

The good news I've found is that the WiFi on-board copes really well and I've only got the "cheap" version (if you can call.it that).  It was slow yesterday which I'm pretty sure was due to desperate people trying to keep the kids happy due due to the weather. The cost on-board is astronomical and I'm guessing P&O made a fortune out of the wind and rain.

It was impossible to get into a cinema yesterday for most as everyone had the same idea.  The Sky Dome pool was rammed as well. 

Back on noise issues: I've pretty much got an idea of where our 100 cabins are on here as I've spent quite a lot of time investigating.  Certainly midship 5 is pretty bad - spoke to a couple in 5513 who say 710 Club above them is very loud.  I was surprised as having been in the Club yesterday it's very small but thinking about it if there's a band in there - as there is tonight- I'm guessing it will be pretty intense.

Interestingly lots I've spoken to have been on Iona and to a man say the two ships are not comparable despite being virtually identical.  Everyone of these people said they booked Arvia because of their Iona experience being so good.  ICF as you loved Arvia I'm guessing you'll have the best holiday ever on Iona based on these people's experience.

• Like 3