Princess ships ?

beshears

14 hours ago, beshears said:

I know things have changed over these past few years. If you have cruised within the past year on one of Princess ships, do they still have formal nights? If not, would you tell me what ships on Princess that no longer do this?

Your topic would have been much more on point if you asked "Does Princess still have Formal Nights?"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beshears said:

Someone mentioned that I had ask this same question all over the board, and yes I did, especially with the cruise lines I have done for my 15 or more cruises, as we are trying to decide which cruise line/ship we are doing next year.

Hope you don't have formal night and what to wear then as a top decision factor.  I should think itinerary, guest experience, service, and food all weigh much heavier.  Most lines have done away with formal wear.  Princess still documents it, but anything goes from smart casual to tuxes/gowns.  AFAIK, the only line enforcing formal wear is Cunard.

• Like 1

Just now, MTNest93 said:

We lucked out in that I plan to wear my former MOB (mother of the bride) gowns for formal nights and one happens to be ivory and champagne - close enough to gold for me!  Hubby will have a matching champagne tie with his tux.

Il suggest a gold bow tie for my husband and see what he says!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Your topic would have been much more on point if you asked "Does Princess still have Formal Nights?"

@beshears, you can also read all about dining and dress recommendations on Princess.com.  You will also see how many nights are designated formal (or sometimes dress-to-impress) on a voyage of varying lengths.

2 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Unless you travel on Cunard, Formal Night is really no longer a real "Formal Nights"  Dress standards are fairly liberal.  

And from what I've seen since we've returned from the Covid break, it hasn't seemed to affect business at all. The ships are sailing at capacity almost every cruise & everyone seems to be satisfied with what clothing is being allowed in the DR on formal nights.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

And unleashed the formal wear battle one more time! 🤣

• Haha 1

Just returned from a 14-might B2B on Enchanted in the Mediterranean. One formal and one 'dress to impress' might on each leg. I would say around 40-50% in 'formal' wear on each night, maybe slightly less on the dress to Impress nights. We did smart casual on the first one (D2I), expecting there to be a second formal night on the first leg, but when we realised there wasn't, we did formal on the D2I night on the second leg. Formal night participation seems to vary depending on region. There always seems to be more people in formal wear on the UK based cruises, probably because a greater proportion of the passengers will be Brits who haven't had to worry about airline baggage weight limits. But don't let formal nights put you off a cruise of you don't like dressing up, there will be plenty of others that don't dress up so you won't feel out of place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedEarth said:

Just returned from a 14-might B2B on Enchanted in the Mediterranean. One formal and one 'dress to impress' might on each leg. I would say around 40-50% in 'formal' wear on each night, maybe slightly less on the dress to Impress nights. We did smart casual on the first one (D2I), expecting there to be a second formal night on the first leg, but when we realised there wasn't, we did formal on the D2I night on the second leg. Formal night participation seems to vary depending on region. There always seems to be more people in formal wear on the UK based cruises, probably because a greater proportion of the passengers will be Brits who haven't had to worry about airline baggage weight limits. But don't let formal nights put you off a cruise of you don't like dressing up, there will be plenty of others that don't dress up so you won't feel out of place.

It's good to know that Princess still allows people to dress down on the European trips. Some poster would have people believe that everyone conforms to a strict formal dress code.