NCL Bliss 5/6-5/13 Review. Was it me or was it them?

42 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You and me both sister.  My ancestors lived North of the arctic circle.  I have no pigment.  A bit of sun and I burst into flames.  That said, I will slap on the SPF 50 and don an SPF 50 long sleeve sun shirt and venture out onto the beach at GSC every year or two.  As long as the beverage package and free food still applies, I'm good with that. 😎

Same here. A sunny Caribbean or Hawaiian vacation always looks and sounds great, but then I spend the whole time trying to find shade, applying and reapplying sunscreen, and still worrying that I'll get a sunburn.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

Same here. A sunny Caribbean or Hawaiian vacation always looks and sounds great, but then I spend the whole time trying to find shade, applying and reapplying sunscreen, and still worrying that I'll get a sunburn.

LOL, Exactly - the eternal quest for shade and the worry that you are burning to a crisp anyway.

55 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Not a fan?

Something along the lines of "imagine hating this song but having this job where someone requests it EVERY DAY". I don't know if it was part of the act or if it was actual hatred for the song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Something along the lines of "imagine hating this song but having this job where someone requests it EVERY DAY". I don't know if it was part of the act or if it was actual hatred for the song.

I'm guessing the later.  That song goes from fun to okay to my ears are bleeding.

13 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If I lived on either coast, or around FL ports, I think I’d probably hop on a cruise once a month.  Drive to the port, check in, go up the gangplank…..sailing.  Probably a good thing I live in OH.  Somehow sailing up and down the Ohio River just isn’t the same.  😁

Amen Brother - Ohio lacks that whole ocean feel.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Ha!  I remember going on a dinner cruise on the Ohio with friends many years ago.  It had some kind of fun Polynesian theme.  My husband did well in the hula hoop contest.

There used to be quite a few dinner “boats” that were along the coast of both sides of the river.  Barlyecorns, Showboat Majestic…the one you’re probably referring to was THE WATERFRONT.  Had plastic palm trees on the outside bar area.  But, it was owned and operated by one of the U.S.’s biggest and fest restrauteurs, Jeff Ruby.  It was a great seafood place, although he’s mostly known for his steak restaurants.

That restaurant was hit by a barge, partially sank, and never reopened.

The Montgomery Inn Boathouse sits right on the river, but it isn’t a boat.  Great views and great BBQ!

• Like 1

I’d pay to hear the @ChiefMateJRK sing.  Not much…and maybe only for 1/10th of a song, but I’d pay….the cost of a beer….that I drank…and would leave when finished, whether the song was over, or not. 😉

That said, there was a discussion here a few months ago where some lady wanted to bring her guitar to sing and play for guests.  Maybe she had talent.  Most probably not as much as she perceived.  But, the general consensus was for her to ply her talents when and where there was Karaoke happening.  Apparently, that was not sufficient.  She wanted a large stage (like the Atrium) to ply her alleged talents.  

We advised her that would be a bad idea. 

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I’d pay to hear the @ChiefMateJRK sing.  Not much…and maybe only for 1/10th of a song, but I’d pay….the cost of a beer….that I drank…and would leave when finished, whether the song was over, or not. 😉

Don't sell yourself short.  You would probably be laughing so hard that you just had to stay until it ended.  Kind of like not being able to look away from an accident.  Fortunately, with Karaoke, nobody really gets hurt. 🤣🐀

• Haha 2

Hi WestCoastDeb - thanks for the Review!

I completely get where you are coming from. I did my first cruise in my early 30's and was bored to tears. Didn't go back until almost 20 years later, and was in a place professionally where relaxing was imperative. Now I love it, and I get to bring new people on with me and introduce them to cruising. I know I am going to eat well, hang out with friends, walk a ton (and lose a few pounds because of all the walking and no calories after 7pm), read, relax, and eat. (I don't cook, so three diverse meals a day is basically a miracle.) Cruising isn't right for you - right now. That doesn't mean you wouldn't love it at a later date. 

So if you go again in 20 years, let us know how it goes! In the meantime, there's a world full of adventures out there!

• Like 1

Hi WestCoastDeb,

I think your review is very fair.  I was actually on the same cruise.  I tried to read all of your info throughout and just have one question?  Did you use a Travel Agent?  As one myself it always pains me to see first time cruisers board a ship without a lot of good advice and preparation that a travel advisor provides at no charge. 

If you choose to cruise again I hope your experience is a better one.  Definitely find someone who can get you on a cruise that is the best fit for you.  

On 5/21/2023 at 2:33 AM, Travelling2Some said:

Yup I glow in the dark and, to add to the problem, am allergic to common ingredients in sunscreen.  I'm also allergic to some of the hand sanitizers so I've had an interesting time of it ducking the crew with the spray bottles for the past couple of years while enduring disapproving looks.

Bet you’ve some Celtic ancestry in there, I’m violently allergic to Aloe which was in pretty much every hand sanitizer pre-covid and of course 99% of after-sun products. I worked long and hard to find sun block that works on my skin and unfortunately that company is closing down later this year. Any time I spot an after sun without aloe I buy it regardless of whether I need it or not. 
A lot of sunblock products have zinc in them which is a common allergen for those of Celtic and northern Spanish ancestry. Spain has basically stopped using the copper euro coins due to the level of zinc in them. 

On 5/20/2023 at 5:55 PM, Travelling2Some said:

I am also not a beach person.  The pictures of idyllic beaches are lovely but when I actually get to one I find the sand, wind, sticky wetness, etc., annoying.  I frequently complain to my beach loving husband that I am clearly a genetic forest dweller.  Obviously I'm not much for the Caribbean cruises or the Med in summer.  So . . . my point in this to the OP is that she might better enjoy a cruise if it was tailored to things she likes and a more novel environment.  But, of course, it is always better not to pay to do things you don't enjoy.  

Oh I feel this too. I think I am just not a 'sit and enjoy' person 😝

On 5/20/2023 at 6:47 PM, Jordan61 said:

My brothers joke that we just need 5 gallons of sunscreen and a paint roller for me. NBD.

31 minutes ago, Tracyr said:

Did you use a Travel Agent? 

I did not. In fact (and this is totally an error on my part, no fault of the cruise line obviously), I just picked a random cruise leaving from and returning to Seattle, since that is where I live and made the logistics easier. 

I would not recommend that. Maybe a smaller ship or different itinerary would have been better for me. I can't help but think that I would have done better on a 1 way route. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Bet you’ve some Celtic ancestry in there, I’m violently allergic to Aloe which was in pretty much every hand sanitizer pre-covid and of course 99% of after-sun products. I worked long and hard to find sun block that works on my skin and unfortunately that company is closing down later this year. Any time I spot an after sun without aloe I buy it regardless of whether I need it or not. 
A lot of sunblock products have zinc in them which is a common allergen for those of Celtic and northern Spanish ancestry. Spain has basically stopped using the copper euro coins due to the level of zinc in them. 

You've nailed it.  100 Celtic ancestry as verified by DNA testing - (half Kerry and half Donegal).  Very interested to know the likely culprits and that there is also a connection with metal allergies.  I have such sensitivity to metals that I had to have surgical staples removed early!  I don't know if you have it in Ireland but Neutrogena Ultra Sheer dry touch does not give me a problem (other than it's cost, lol).