Seating in the evening & theatre shows

Nicole&Pete

All, I have seen from several posts on here that with cruises running closer to capacity now, there is a problem with the amount of seating in the evening on certain ships and seating at theatre shows and game shows/ quizzes etc.

I think a solution to this problem would be for Princess to run 3 theatre shows per night and repeat the game shows/ quizzes at different times to ease capacity. This would be mean improved chance of seating at shows and events and a reduction in passengers in public areas while these are going on. P&O already run 3 shows per night and I wonder if Princess should follow suit.

What are people’s thoughts on this idea?

Princess “used to” have 3 production shows a night.  I heard that they cut back to “save” the entertainers.  Then they cut the shows to 30 minutes with only two shows.

Building larger ships (capacity) while keeping the Princess Theater the same size didn’t help the crowding.

Then, in their wisdom, they removed the aft theater.   It was used for visiting entertainers second performances. That often relieved the crowds since passengers were able to have choices.  It was timed so one could actually go from one theater to the next.  

Princess was able to spotlight some of their crew by having them do special nights in the aft theater.

Princess had a good thing going, but really went the wrong direction.  

Don’t even get me started me started on giving the smaller/older ships new production shows.  The Grand Princess has had the same shows for over 5 years.  All the new show go to the Royal class ships.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It was timed so one could actually go from one theater to the next

I remember the good old days of two different shows a night and the cross over of the crowds.

It did get a bit tight with all the passengers as they passed each other in the bottleneck of the photo gallery but that was part of the fun. Sometimes we would go out on the promenade deck for the express route.

I also remember the three theatre shows a night and the first one was still the busiest and you had to get there 40 minutes before for a half hour show.

One of the dancers told me they hated the three shows a night as by the last show they were putting on damp costumes.

• Like 1

History:

a) Princess Theater used to have two performances an evening about an hour in length, a total of 120 minutes

b) Because two shows were not enough for the demand, they would put on the same show the next day one time for a total of three times.

c) I do not know why they figured that was not working out, so they changed it to three performances the same evening, but shortened them to 40 minutes, so the performance time still totaled 120 minutes in one evening for the performers.

d) And then they changed it back to current  two performances of a show in the evening, but for a total of 80 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all of your replies. I think 3 shows of 40 minutes would work. In this world of more flexible cruising and dining people may want to watch a show before dinner or after dinner and 2 set times may be too restrictive. Three shows would give people more flexibility and choice. It would also alleviate issues that Princess have created by making too few public areas for the amount of people.

I think this would be a simple change to make that would enhance the customer experience without costing too much.

26 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

I think this would be a simple change to make that would enhance the customer experience without costing too much.

It would improve the customer experience but it's just not that simple a change to make. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, caribill said:

History:

a) Princess Theater used to have two performances an evening about an hour in length, a total of 120 minutes

b) Because two shows were not enough for the demand, they would put on the same show the next day one time for a total of three times.

c) I do not know why they figured that was not working out, so they changed it to three performances the same evening, but shortened them to 40 minutes, so the performance time still totaled 120 minutes in one evening for the performers.

d) And then they changed it back to current  two performances of a show in the evening, but for a total of 80 minutes.

Thanks for this recounting.

I'll just note there was an interim period just after the restart where they had ONE show per night of about 40 minutes in length. This was when Princess ships were sailing far below capacity.

• Like 1

Definately agree on 3 shows. The timings on Sky meant that there is no option of show then dinner in the MDR as the first show ends as the MDR closes. The second show finished at 11 or 11:15 depending on length, and that's late for some passengers. 

The Sky had 3850 passengers last week, and many said it would be over 4000 this week. It was very difficult to get a seat in a lounge area after 5 pm. Theatre was full for the 10:15 show most nights with many standing. The Vista lounge shows were very busy and unless you got there well in advance you wouldn't get a seat. 

Just now, MissP22 said:

It would improve the customer experience but it's just not that simple a change to make. 

Maybe but someone I know is a guest performer on P&O and they just know they have 3 shows to do and don’t charge anymore than they would on a different cruise line.

46 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Maybe but someone I know is a guest performer on P&O and they just know they have 3 shows to do and don’t charge anymore than they would on a different cruise line.

Except that the performers do get paid based up the number of shows they do and Princess is cutting back on almost everything lately.... including miniscule items like paper, pens, cabin service,  prizes for games, chocolates in the cabins, quality of food, etc.

Just now, MissP22 said:

Except that the performers do get paid based up the number of shows they do and Princess is cutting back on almost everything lately.... including miniscule items like paper, pens, cabin service,  prizes for games, chocolates in the cabins, quality of food, etc.

That’s true it’s sad really.

The key phrase is, "on certain ships." When Princess started the Royal class, they didn't add enough seats to theaters/venues to accomodate the additional passengers. A design blunder.

If you like shows, games, quizes etc... get there earlier for a seat, or sail Grand/Coral class where there's ample seating by design. So much goes on behind the scenes to put on a show, prepare and staff, not to mention we're talking dancers, not just musicians, I don't see three shows happening.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

If you like shows, games, quizes etc... get there earlier for a seat, or sail Grand/Coral class where there's ample seating by design.

On the Enchanted if you wanted a seat for Trivia, you had to arrive for the previous show and sit there. Not many people seemed to leave between events. 

• Haha 1

With the change to Dine My Way, it is almost impossible to dine and theater.

Say a 2 hour dinner is @ 7:30.  You will miss the first show (or leave early).  Then you be unable to find seats at the 9:30 show.

At least with Tradition Dining, you would have had a chance at one show…especially if they had  2 theaters working.  

3 shows definitively allowed for everyone to be in the theater.  I do not recall how many seats…I’m sure one one will post.  No way to fit everyone on a Royal Class ship, maybe not even with 3 show.  

5 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks for all of your replies. I think 3 shows of 40 minutes would work. In this world of more flexible cruising and dining people may want to watch a show before dinner or after dinner and 2 set times may be too restrictive. Three shows would give people more flexibility and choice. It would also alleviate issues that Princess have created by making too few public areas for the amount of people.

5 hours ago, Mc_Cruiser said:

The timings on Sky meant that there is no option of show then dinner in the MDR as the first show ends as the MDR closes. The second show finished at 11 or 11:15 depending on length, and that's late for some passengers. 

The Sky had 3850 passengers last week, and many said it would be over 4000 this week. It was very difficult to get a seat in a lounge area after 5 pm. Theatre was full for the 10:15 show most nights with many standing.

Interesting times for the shows on the Sky. On a number of other ships the shows are at 7:30 and at 9:30.

Another reason why Traditional Dining option for those who liked it is better. You did not have to guess months in advance of embarkation what time to schedule dinner so you could make a show. You came on board and learned what time your early or late dining time was and knew you could make a show.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caribill said:

You did not have to guess months in advance of embarkation what time to schedule dinner

Exactly, it would be useful to know, but the theatre shows only appear on the app a few days before sailing. I'm thinking the late theatre show times may have been chosen to take a bit of load off the restaurants as they are still not at full staffing yet. 

Just now, caribill said:

Interesting times for the shows on the Sky. On a number of other ships the shows are at 7:30 and at 9:30.

Another reason why Traditional Dining option for those who liked it is better. You did not have to guess months in advance of embarkation what time to schedule dinner so you could make a show. You came on board and learned what time your early or late dining time was and knew you could make a show.

I agree traditional dining worked because when one lot were eating the other lot were in the theatre. 

We have Club Class.  What we have been doing is going to the First Show, making sure we get to the theatre at least 30 minutes before the show.  When then go to the dining room for dinner.  Being Club Class there is no wait. 

After dinner we head for the Piano Bar, have several drinks.  

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

We have Club Class.  What we have been doing is going to the First Show, making sure we get to the theatre at least 30 minutes before the show.  When then go to the dining room for dinner.  Being Club Class there is no wait. 

After dinner we head for the Piano Bar, have several drinks.  

If you go to the first 7:30 show, it will let out at 8:15.  You are not likely to have to wait in any of the dining rooms at that hour, not sure what Club Class may have to do with it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

If you go to the first 7:30 show, it will let out at 8:15.  You are not likely to have to wait in any of the dining rooms at that hour, not sure what Club Class may have to do with it.

We sometimes stop by the DR after the show for just coffee & dessert and have never had Club Class but at that time there's no waiting to enter.