F1 cancelled this week near Bologna/Ravenna

scottraveller

I’ve just read that the above has been cancelled due to heavy flooding in this region. I’m flying in to Bologna to catch Explorer next weekend and wondered if any one was aware if the roads from Bologna airport to Ravenna have been affected please? The weather forecast for next weekend looks fine so hopefully the incident clears up quickly. Feel extremely sorry for the people who have died and the thousands evacuated. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

I’ve just read that the above has been cancelled due to heavy flooding in this region.

You may want to read some more news.

Folks on your sailing may discuss this issue in the roll call thread.

1 hour ago, scottraveller said:

Not sure what you mean with the first sentence. Nothing on this incident on roll call

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12093127/Flood-nightmare-hits-Italian-towns-four-dead-thousands-evacuated.html

Ravenna mentioned in this article. Nothing about the road ( although some train routes effected) .

Venice raising flood defences today too. 

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, scottraveller said:

Not sure what you mean with the first sentence. Nothing on this incident on roll call

Meaning... 

Cruise Critic Royal Caribbean general chat forum might not be your best source for a discussion on those specific questions.

Really sad for those affected. Brings things into perspective. Researched it a bit and a few motorways are affected in the area. Did a route planner and the normal journey was changed to going up north then south adding 45 mins to the journey. Still got a week and a half to go before we fly in so fingers crossed things improve. 

Google Maps is showing the road as being closed, and the quickest driving route is going north out of Bologna to Ferrara, and then turning east and then back south to Ravenna, so that will increase drive time between distance and diverted traffic. 

15 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Meaning... 

Meaning, the F1 race itself is far from being cancelled - just activities at the track today. I suppose one could have made the title even more off topic from the issue.

Also from BBC “It's probably been the worst night in the history of Romagna," Ravenna Mayor Michele de Pascale told Italy's RAI public broadcaster. "Ravenna is unrecognisable for the damage it has suffered.”

Elsewhere in Italy, some 3,000 people had been evacuated from their homes in Bologna, while the mayor of Ravenna said some 5,000 people were being evacuated as a precaution. Around 50,000 people were without electricity. 

Edited by little britain

50 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Meaning, the F1 race itself is far from being cancelled - just activities at the track today. I suppose one could have made the title even more off topic from the issue.

F1 says it’s canceled. 

And hopefully travel around isnt too affected. Sorry to those who lost their lives. 

On 5/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, zeberdee said:

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix has been called off

It's not just about the racetrack. Ferrari's home base is just about in Modena (close to it) and Red Bull's sister team, Alpha Tauri, is based in Faenza, also in the region, so both teams staff, family, facilities etc are directly impacted. (Engineering, development, the works etc)

There's a race scheduled next week in Monaco. TBD. 

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Currently On Explorer of the Seas and supposed to return to Ravenna this Sunday.  The Captain just notified us that this would not be happening.  We are diverting to Trieste.  Details to be delivered to our cabins later this evening.  

Thanks for the latest news.  We're supposed to sail out of Ravenna in three weeks. 

I'm not finding a lot of regular updated info.  Ravenna itselt definitely sounds to have been hit hard with thousands of people evacuated from their homes and the mayor saying the town is unrecognizable from the damage it sufferred.  I'm thinking all the available resources including hotels and such would need to be allocated to locals that have been forced out of their homes.  Even transportation routes in and out of Ravenna seem spotty with with train service facing delays and cancellations.  Cruise ship passengers routing through Ravenna would likely just exasperate their current situation. 

22 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Currently On Explorer of the Seas and supposed to return to Ravenna this Sunday.  The Captain just notified us that this would not be happening.  We are diverting to Trieste.  Details to be delivered to our cabins later this evening.  

Under normal circumstances it can take about 3:30 to drive between Ravenna and Trieste.  Sounds like a nasty complication for RCI and many of the passengers.  I would also guess that the ship gets resupplied in Ravenna, so now there is that additional complication.

Hank

• Like 1

I am scheduled out of Ravenna on 10 June. 3 weeks from now! 8-9 June we are to spend in Ravenna, visiting friends. A recent update from friend Dario speaks of evacuations, rivers/canals breaching their banks, etc. We’ll see how things develop…

Stan

15 hours ago, hawk6815 said:

We’re doing the same as you, just a day later. Arrive to Ravenna on the 9th and cruising on the 11th. I may reach out to the hotel next week to see how it’s looking.

That may be a good source of information!