Walk-ins for Fully Booked Activities (plus bonus Gastropub question)

mamamusings

Hi-

My husband and I will be on the California Coast cruise that leaves this Saturday. I haven't sailed on Princess before (we've been loyal NCL cruisers), and had a lot of issues with the app. As a result, we waited until this week to work out the bugs and get all of our information into the app. Now we've found (unsurprisingly I guess), that some of the things we really wanted to do--particularly afternoon tea, and good spirits--are fully booked.

I assume that there are often no-shows for activities. Is it possible to just show up and potentially get in? Or should we not bother?

And one other unrelated question: Do you need to make reservations for the gastropub? I didn't see it listed under Specialty dining, but it's not clear if that's because it's fully booked or because you can't book it using the app.

Thanks!

Don’t worry. Those people who say they are going to an event are just showing interest. Good spirits bar is just that a bar. It does tend to get more crowded when they are doing presentations but it is still just a bar

14 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

Hi-

My husband and I will be on the California Coast cruise that leaves this Saturday. I haven't sailed on Princess before (we've been loyal NCL cruisers), and had a lot of issues with the app. As a result, we waited until this week to work out the bugs and get all of our information into the app. Now we've found (unsurprisingly I guess), that some of the things we really wanted to do--particularly afternoon tea, and good spirits--are fully booked.

I assume that there are often no-shows for activities. Is it possible to just show up and potentially get in? Or should we not bother?

And one other unrelated question: Do you need to make reservations for the gastropub? I didn't see it listed under Specialty dining, but it's not clear if that's because it's fully booked or because you can't book it using the app.

Thanks!

Salty Dog, if it hasn't been remodeled yet, is readily available for booking when you sail. 

This is on Discovery, yes?

I was able to just walk up to Salty Dog Gastropub without needing a reservation in advance. The Gastropub was never more than a half full, so you should have no problem getting in easily. I think many are turned off by the additional charge, but I thought it was worth it both times I went (on two separate sailings). 

Just be warned: noise from the main floor of the Piazzi carries directly into the Gastropub as there is very little separation between the Piazzi and the restaurant. If you are able to, I'd recommend requesting one of the booths along the windows - not only are they more comfortable, but it will put you as far from the Piazzi as you can get in the Gastropub. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

No, Emerald. I saw posts from January saying it was closed due to staffing shortages. I guess we'll have to wait and see for our sailing.

Ah. Well, I hope you get a chance to try it. The food is unique, but really enjoyable. 

By the way, I've mostly been NCL (Haven) but made the leap to Princess last year. They aren't exactly apples to apples, but I am enjoying Princess a bit more. So much that I sailed with them twice in 2022 and have a third sailing booked this year (all on Discovery). 

43 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

No, Emerald. I saw posts from January saying it was closed due to staffing shortages. I guess we'll have to wait and see for our sailing.

On the ‘Emerald it is not by the piazza but an area next to the wheelhouse bar. Never saw it crowded in March and service was not good

1 hour ago, mamamusings said:

Hi-

Thanks!

The bookmarks for activities in the app are just that, bookmarks - not reservations of any kind. Princess doesn't have show or entertainment reservations or anything like that. First come first serve.

The journeyview timeline "reservation" is simply a bookmark registering interest and more for 1) the guest to note something of interest to themselves, like highlighting the paper event listing and 2) for Princess to get an idea of whatever activity's interest level, perhaps to add more of similar things or to move an activity to a larger venue, etc. 

Afternoon tea is served every day on sea days in one of the MDRs.. will be marked in the daly listing. No reservations needed, come after it first starts to avoid any lineup. It's served continually during th service hour. It's also served in the buffet at that time (not as extensive, but scones, sandwiches, snack stuff, tea . 

AS Princess doesn't have reservations for activities and shows - some events can fill up quickly such as the game shows or such, so just get there 10 minutes early.. 

enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

The app shouldn't have that "feature" where people can check that they will be attending. It's idiotic and means absolutely nothing.

I love that I can check off an event so that I can filter the day's activities to just "My Events", but I hate the fact that the app tries to use "stated interest" as an attendance sheet.  Nowhere, ever, has Princess used this feature to allow some people in and keep others out.  It is still first come, first served, even if an event shows in advance that it is at capacity.  That said, the slide bar showing "attendance" can be a good indicator of how popular an event will be which in turn provides some guidance as to how early you need to arrive to get a seat.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

We were on the Emerald in January for 15 nights, and we had Salty Dog twice in Wheelhouse Bar.  They had a sandwich board sign out in the hallway advertising their hours. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The app shouldn't have that "feature" where people can check that they will be attending. It's idiotic and means absolutely nothing.

This is evident by the number of questions asked here about "fully booked" events.  It just seems like a PR thing to me, making people think something is really popular and then drumming up attendance.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, Kay S said:

This is evident by the number of questions asked here about "fully booked" events.  It just seems like a PR thing to me, making people think something is really popular and then drumming up attendance.

It’s really dumb, since it’s more likely to result in people not going because they think they can’t get in. And if it’s “full” you can’t even bookmark it, so you’re even less likely to go. 😄 

Of course, it’s not as though anything else in the app works perfectly well… 🙄

• Like 1