Carnival Gratuities

Vampiress88

Any ideas on this since they are parent company to p&o

So says I can pre pay gratuities of £448. Does that mean I still have to pay on drinks and food also? 

this is from their website. 

HOW DO GRATUITIES WORK ON A CARNIVAL CRUISE?

The staff on your cruise works hard to make fun happen for you, and Carnival guests show their appreciation by tipping. Stateroom attendants, waitstaff and other folks you’ll see throughout your cruise appreciate the tips they receive, as do employees working hard behind the scenes to make your cruise amazing!

The easiest way to show you care is through automatic gratuities. This is great because it makes sure nobody’s efforts are forgotten. When booking, these tips can be automatically applied with a click!

OKAY, HOW MUCH?

Tips are on a per-guest basis, at the following rate:

• Standard Staterooms: $16 USD per guest, per day
  • Suite Staterooms: $18 USD per guest, per day

(Remember that these figures are for everyone who helps you, throughout your cruise!)

MORE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT TIPPING

• Tips are assessed for all guests ages 2 and up.
  • A service charge of 18% will be added to your bill at Bonsai Sushi, Bonsai Teppanyaki, Chef’s Table, Emeril’s Bistro, Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse | Brewhouse and Seafood Shack. Additional gratuities can be added at your discretion.
  • When ordering room service, tipping is encouraged upon delivery.
  • Tips are not included in the menu price of beverages — an 18% service charge will be added to the bill, and additional gratuities can be added at your discretion.

Yes, pre-paying your gratuities simply takes care of your $16pp, per day assessment.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the 18% gratuity you are charged with each purchase onboard. 

There used to be a published breakdown of how gratuities were divided, but I can't find it on their website.

Essential though the $16/pp covers your room steward (and their assistants), the MDR staff, the Buffet staff.

Certain specialty dinning will add the 18% automatically, others (like the steakhouse) it is included in the purchase price of the meal.

Bar service always adds an extra 18%, and while in specific home ports there may be a local tax that is added (very small amount).

Note, you can always tip more if you choose direct for great service (we do this usually with our room steward and steakhouse for sure).  

Edited by wemjam

I'm a little confused why you are mentioning P&O.  Are you cruising with them and looking at the Carnival site for info?  Carnival Cruise lIne is not the parent company, Carnival CORPORATION is.  Carnival Cruise Line is like the sister to P&O.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 3:00 AM, vwrestler171 said:

I'm a little confused why you are mentioning P&O.  Are you cruising with them and looking at the Carnival site for info?  Carnival Cruise lIne is not the parent company, Carnival CORPORATION is.  Carnival Cruise Line is like the sister to P&O.

I had posted this in the p&o forum and it got moved. 
carnival is the parent company to p&o