How does embarkation work at Southampton

Windsurfboy

21 hours ago, tring said:

It was fine for Aurora back in November, but on an Arcadia related social media group, there have definitely been problems in the last month or two. which is when the problems have been mentioned on these boards.  One coach arrived early (1pm) and even everyone form that were made to wait outside for a whole hour, without access to toilets, yet a very long time since they had a rest stop and the coach loo was not flushing.

Perhaps P&O want to do similar to all passengers, to make it clear it is now a company policy - would be confusing if the rules can be evaded on some ships, but not others.

Surely they wouldn't do it if it wasn't necessary?  Making people queue just because passengers have to for boarding a different ship on a different day at a different terminal?  That would be terrible customer service, not to mention they'd be stopping people spending money on board.

Keeping to arrival times is necessary especially for the big ships.

Perhaps  next time the coach driver will have another comfort break an hour out of Southampton and arrive on time, he should know better.

If nothing goes wrong and every one arrives no more than 15 mins early,  with perhaps exception  the last hour,  things would go smoothly. 

Perhaps they are hoping that the message don't come too early will slowly sink in.

• Like 1

We’ve been cruising for 30 years and have never taken any notice of arrival times and neither have the cruise line. We travel down to Southampton the day before to stay locally so don’t want to hang around post hotel vacation time to board. I can however see with the 5000+ pax ships why some extra organisation is necessary.

On 5/20/2023 at 9:23 PM, cruising.mark.uk said:

Our experience on Arvia in mid-April suggests that they do.  We had priority boarding (1130) and arrived pretty much exactly on time.  Boarding pass checked on arrival at terminal and went straight to check in from there.  But, they were holding others in a queue outside.  Once we had checked in, we were then sent to the 'priority boarding' waiting area, immediately adjacent to the doors into the security check area.  But, at that time, there were already perhaps a hundred people sitting on the seats opposite the check-in desk.  At a guess, they were passengers who had the first non-priority check in time (1200 perhaps?) who had turned up a little early and they were allowed in while there was space available while those with later times were held outside.

How do you qualify for "priority boarding " 

We have some (albeit limited) mobility issues - which essentially means we cannot stand in a queue (but are happy to wait if seated), so wondering if that would be enough to get the priority boarding - or at least guarantee some seating if we arrive a bit earlier than stated ?  

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, so I am still confused.  We are Caribbean and if we have a boarding time of 13.30, can we arrive earlier and still board?  It's the first time we have stayed the night before, so I'm not sure.

If you have "priority" on your boarding pass you are given priority. Should not be a problem if you are on a smaller ship. 

12 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

We have some (albeit limited) mobility issues - which essentially means we cannot stand in a queue (but are happy to wait if seated), so wondering if that would be enough to get the priority boarding - or at least guarantee some seating if we arrive a bit earlier than stated ?  

I have similar.  I called P&O and obtained the disability form.  As it didn't have specific hidden disability questions when I emailed it back I wrote a full explanation of my symptoms.  48 hours later I was emailed confirmation of when to arrive and where to go.  I was treated very well, given a seat and had no problems at all.  It was a very quick and pleasant experience.

Incidentally I did arrive early and could have jumped the queue as they were happy to allow me to.  I chose not to and used my 30 minutes waiting to log into the app and book the remainder of my entertainment and dining.

48 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

It's not 'priority boarding'; that is the term they use for the loaded folk who have suites and/or are in the top tiers.  For you, it will be 'special assistance' and, as Megabear has written, they do look after you at the terminal.

At the very minimum you should be directed into the terminal building where there is seating.

You can access the form on your Cruise Planner.

Click on Before You Sail then Important To Know; towards the bottom of that page, on the Special Requirements section, click on More Details. In the Mobility On Board section there is a link to the form. Download and complete it, and send it to the email address given. If you have issues that aren't on the form, do as Megabear did, and include those in your email.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TigerB said:

It's not 'priority boarding'; that is the term they use for the loaded folk who have suites and/or are in the top tiers.  For you, it will be 'special assistance' and, as Megabear has written, they do look after you at the terminal.

At the very minimum you should be directed into the terminal building where there is seating.

Click on Before You Sail then Important To Know; towards the bottom of that page, on the Special Requirements section, click on More Details. In the Mobility On Board section there is a link to the form. Download and complete it, and send it to the email address given. If you have issues that aren't on the form, do as Megabear did, and include those in your email.

I am not loaded, just done many cruises to qualify for Ligurian tier, all in balcony. However,  some can attain that level just cruising in cheap interior cabins, not necessarily loaded. 

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Priority is not just for "loaded" people in suites.  We are Caribbean and have an inside cabin.  Still get priority time.

"loaded folk who have suites and/or are in the top tiers."

Sorry! I was being glib, no offence meant.

I'll get me coat!

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TigerB said:

We have assisted boarding we haven't had an email confirming that travel agent has said it's all sorted we have a boarding time of 1.45 we have to be out of the hotel 10.30 so we thought of going to the terminal at 1.pm we are sailing next week on arcadia from Queen Elizabeth terminal

19 minutes ago, Holly123red said:

We have assisted boarding we haven't had an email confirming that travel agent has said it's all sorted we have a boarding time of 1.45 we have to be out of the hotel 10.30 so we thought of going to the terminal at 1.pm we are sailing next week on arcadia from Queen Elizabeth terminal

If I were you I would go the belt and braces route. Download the form as per my instructions in post #33 and send it to the email address with an urgent marker.

I don't think you'll encounter the problems that have occurred at the Ocean terminal of late with Arvia and Iona, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get you straight on, or you only have to wait a short while.

• Like 1

We've been given a 3:00pm arrival time for our upcoming Iona cruise, I've read that many of the premium restaurants and entertainment venues get booked up quickly, if we arrive at 3:00pm I fear that we will be too late to book some options through the app, which can only be accessed whilst on board. Any comments on whether this is an issue, and what happens if we arrive at say 2:00pm instead of 3:00pm?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, jeremystevens said:

We've been given a 3:00pm arrival time for our upcoming Iona cruise, I've read that many of the premium restaurants and entertainment venues get booked up quickly, if we arrive at 3:00pm I fear that we will be too late to book some options through the app, which can only be accessed whilst on board. Any comments on whether this is an issue, and what happens if we arrive at say 2:00pm instead of 3:00pm?

Thanks.

You can access the app from your phone at the terminal.  Download it in advance (I put it on at home) and it asks for 6 numbers at the end of your cruise card which are the same on your boarding pass. You should be able to go straight in and connect on arrival.

I had a 4.00pm arrival (actually at port 3.10pm) and using this method I booked absolutely everything I wanted including 4 sessions at the 710.club 8.45pm (gold dust apparently) and all the speciality restaurants I wanted. Once I'd boarded at just before 4.00pm I looked out of interest and there were still slots but considerably fewer.  However I'm travelling alone and as a result the app locks me out of certain events and marks them unavailable when there are spaces for 2+.  I can usually get shared tables but not solo, I even got offered a shared Sindhu although I didn't take it. 

If you're good with apps etc it's pretty straightforward although many others are having lots of problems with it I've had absolutely nothing go wrong.

One hint though, if you change your keycard for any reason you'll need to change the card number in the app as it doesn't automatically change

On 5/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, davecttr said:

If you have priority boarding there should be a separate priority queue. There was no standing queue in my case but there were about 150 people seated in the Suite/Baltic/Ligurian and Caribbean areas. They send assisted boarding through security first then the Suite etc followed by Caribbean. I imagine if you arrive after your priority boarding time you go straight to priority check in and then straight to security, bypassing the assembled masses.

So are correct, there was a fast queue, except after it was checked in it was seated awaiting security to open.

Much appreciated Dave, very helpful. 

13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

You can access the app from your phone at the terminal.  Download it in advance (I put it on at home) and it asks for 6 numbers at the end of your cruise card which are the same on your boarding pass. You should be able to go straight in and connect on arrival.

I thought it was just a web page/site and not an app you need to download? Just checked my iPhone and don't see any apps from P&O in the app store to download?  If its a web site once you connect to the ships wifi in the terminal what is the address for it?

3 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

I thought it was just a web page/site and not an app you need to download? Just checked my iPhone and don't see any apps from P&O in the app store to download?  If its a web site once you connect to the ships wifi in the terminal what is the address for it?

its a web page 

https://myholiday.pocruises.com/

have a lovely cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talking about being loaded

The term "stinking rich" comes from Stavanger apparently according to a guide I heard yesterday

In the olden days in stavanger the wealthy used to store smoked fish under their floorboards for the winter months

The poor couldn't afford to do it

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Useful page

https://www.pocruises.com/my-holiday?otprrf=direct&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Email 31 - Entertainment RTS - WIDER PRECRUISE&utm_term=PO-8621474&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PO+Cruises+here

How to guide at bottom

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Holly123red said:

You may need to be out of your room by 10:30, but most hotels will allow you to use their lounge facilities for as long as you need.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You may need to be out of your room by 10:30, but most hotels will allow you to use their lounge facilities for as long as you need.

Yes and will often store you luggage while you go off for a walk - the budget hotels may not do that though.