NCL Spirit retrofitted

Rgnmgr

The Spirit was recently retrofitted with nice results. The internet portion was not updated so there were occasional issues.  The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The plentiful food was a bit disappointing, except upgraded dining, as it did not measure up to our previous cruises.  The only issue encountered was medical billing. NCL does not accept any insurance.  Doctor visit $149. Meds $249.  Covid $4,100+.  All added to your final cruise bill.  You should also be aware that this diagnosis means you are quarantined to your room for an additional 5 days or more until you test negative. 

Kudos again to the cruise staff.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rgnmgr said:

The only issue encountered was medical billing. NCL does not accept any insurance.  Doctor visit $149. Meds $249.  Covid $4,100+.  All added to your final cruise bill.

Did your travel insurance pay for it?

3 hours ago, Rgnmgr said:

NCL does not accept any insurance.

Find me a cruise line that does.  Many insurance providers (I believe Medicare included) won't cover for care outside the US (which the ship is considered).  This is where having travel insurance would come in and save you money.

• Like 1

I agree cruise insurance for we Medicare folks is almost mandatory. Cousins husband had heart attack on our cruise which necessitated 911 call onboard and emergency surgery in Dominican Republic. The bill was over $10,000 and thank goodness they bought cruise insurance. Still had to charge bills and then do reimbursement.

• Like 2

A LOT of US insurance carriers do NOT cover medical issues beyond US shores (Aetna, for example).  It's a consideration if you're still working, cruise frequently and have to choose medical insurance as part of your employment package.  I'm rapidly approaching the age where Medicare will have to kick-in as my primary healthcare.  If anyone has any suggestions on cruise insurance that covers medical also I'd be glad to har about it.

24 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Don't most travel insurance policies cover medical?

I was looking if someone had some actual experience with a specific travel insurance provider; quality, price, what's covered, what's not, etc. etc.  Yup, I know there are separate CC forum(s) for this subject but since this thread is on this topic I figured I'd ask here.

50 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

I was looking if someone had some actual experience with a specific travel insurance provider; quality, price, what's covered, what's not, etc. etc.  Yup, I know there are separate CC forum(s) for this subject but since this thread is on this topic I figured I'd ask here.

I just compare policies here:

Travel Insurance - Compare the Best Quotes & Buy Online (squaremouth.com)

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 1:48 PM, Rgnmgr said:

We do not take out Travel Insurance for a number of reasons.  But I have filed with Medicare and our secondary insurer.  Waiting on their reply.

I'm afraid this may end up a very expensive lesson on why travel insurance is needed for everyone. I broke my wrist and all $4000 onboard was covered 100% due to travel insurance

8 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

On 5/22/2023 at 7:42 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Medicare does not cover outside of the United States.  We always buy third party insurance.  Much less expensive and better coverage than the cruise lines offer.

My Medicare Advantage covers outside USA , but we still carry travel insurance.  Allianztravelinsurance.com to the rescue. An annual policy is not expensive and covers you when 100 miles from home - not just cruises.

1 hour ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

My Medicare Advantage covers outside USA , but we still carry travel insurance.  Allianztravelinsurance.com to the rescue. An annual policy is not expensive and covers you when 100 miles from home - not just cruises.

Wish we could buy an annual policy but you cannot buy those or CFAR insurance in New York 😞  We take multiple long international trips most years and it would definitely save us money.  We get a better deal on secondary insurance through my husband's ex-employer so it wouldn't make sense for us to buy the Medicare Advantage but I have heard that it does provide coverage outside the US.

42 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Wish we could buy an annual policy but you cannot buy those or CFAR insurance in New York 😞  We take multiple long international trips most years and it would definitely save us money.  We get a better deal on secondary insurance through my husband's ex-employer so it wouldn't make sense for us to buy the Medicare Advantage but I have heard that it does provide coverage outside the US.

Wow!  Why am I not surprised about NY?   My husband used to work in "the city".  My medicare advantage is through my old employer and I feel lucky to have it.  I had a medical emergency in March in Honduras. The bill was $2970.  Medicare Advantage picked up all but $500 deductible.  Travel insurance would have picked up the rest, but we had been there 93 days and the trip limit is 90 days.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, tomk3212 said:

I have had one claim with Allianz annual.  I had a minor (hairline) fracture of my arm while out of state.  I turned in all of the bills and my plane ticket to show when I arrived and left.  Allianz covered everything (and then some) that my medicare did not cover.  They paid me for the mileage to drive to the emergency clinic & back I think.  I was very happy with them.  You have to save all receipts.  Lack of proof is the #1 reason that people are turned down for claims.  When we travel, I carry a medium size manilla envelope and put ALL receipts in it plus boarding passes and luggage tags.  Of course, some of the receipts are not useable, but you never know......

• Thanks 1

I had a minor (hairline) fracture of my arm while out of state.

Out of state but still in the US or out of the country?

my medicare did not cover

Is this a Medicare Advantage plan?  I believe that basic Medicare is equally valid in all 50 states.

27 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is this a Medicare Advantage plan?  I believe that basic Medicare is equally valid in all 50 states.

We were in California when I used my Allianz policy, but it is good all over the world In California, it paid the deductible from my Medicare Advantage plus a few things that Medicare A did not pay..  My Medicare Advantage did cover me in March of this year, as I mentioned before.  The Allianz annual plan is probably the best travel insurance  because it covers you for trips up to 90 days.  Most are 30 days and some are 60.  My Allianz did not cover the March incident because we were gone over the 90 day limit.  Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

I have had one claim with Allianz annual.  I had a minor (hairline) fracture of my arm while out of state.  I turned in all of the bills and my plane ticket to show when I arrived and left.  Allianz covered everything (and then some) that my medicare did not cover.  They paid me for the mileage to drive to the emergency clinic & back I think.  I was very happy with them.  You have to save all receipts.  Lack of proof is the #1 reason that people are turned down for claims.  When we travel, I carry a medium size manilla envelope and put ALL receipts in it plus boarding passes and luggage tags.  Of course, some of the receipts are not useable, but you never know......

Hey Judy, thanks a bunch!

Glad to hear Allianz covered you 'and then some'...  I'm not a big fan of them.  We booked a TA on Encore in April 2020 that was ending in Rome/Civitavecchia.  We had a 2-night hotel reservation in Rome that I used Allianz for the trip insurance.  Everything got cancelled, due to the COVID outbreak, but we got ALL our $$ back from NCL & American Airlines.  Allianz refused to cover the hotel.  They 'weaseled' out of it by claiming they had issued a travel warning re: COVID in November 2019. It was only $300 but everybody else refunded the $$ we paid.  Live and learn.

29 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I did not say my Medicare did not cover.  Don't know where that came from. ????  Medicare has covered every claim I have made when out of town and/or out of country.  

30 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

6 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

Hey Judy, thanks a bunch!

Glad to hear Allianz covered you 'and then some'...  I'm not a big fan of them.  We booked a TA on Encore in April 2020 that was ending in Rome/Civitavecchia.  We had a 2-night hotel reservation in Rome that I used Allianz for the trip insurance.  Everything got cancelled, due to the COVID outbreak, but we got ALL our $$ back from NCL & American Airlines.  Allianz refused to cover the hotel.  They 'weaseled' out of it by claiming they had issued a travel warning re: COVID in November 2019. It was only $300 but everybody else refunded the $$ we paid.  Live and learn.

I don't blame you.  They have changed their policies concerning Covid - probably because of feedback like yours.  Shame on them for not covering it.  

9 minutes ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

I don't blame you.  They have changed their policies concerning Covid - probably because of feedback like yours.  Shame on them for not covering it.  

Hmmmm...in light of this I wonder if I should try them now for this claim?  It's been 3 years but ya never know...

For NCL we had to wait till July to get the $$ we paid back but they paid it back completely.  They offered a FCC for 125% of what we paid but we decided to 'take the money & run'...lol

For AA (American Airlines) I got a call from them in mid-May right after our return flight from Rome was 'officially' cancelled by them asking if I wanted the $$ back or a credit towards a future flight on AA.  Naturally we took the money and ran...again.

So Kudos to NCL & AA & a BIG Bronx cheer to Allianz!

Edited by tomk3212

I did not say my Medicare did not cover.  Don't know where that came from. ????  Medicare has covered every claim I have made when out of town and/or out of country.  

Your post suggested that your "Medicare" did not cover 100%.   That's why I asked if it was Medicare Advantage or basic Medicare Part B.  Many Medicare Advantage plans only provide emergency coverage when outside your own state. I believe it is the insurance company who decides what is an "emergency," and only when they receive the claim.  I don't like insurance companies.

I don't believe that any Medicare plans cover medical expenses outside of the US.  Perhaps some high-end Medigap policies do.