Espresso machines

Hambagahle

I remember on Riviera there was a large serve yourself Espresso machine on the Pool Deck not far from the Terrace restaurant.  We didn't like the coffee served in the restaurant and used to go and make double espressos outside and bring them in.

Do these machines exist on Vista?  We are Swiss, loathe what is called "american coffee" or brewed coffee and at home only drink Nespresso.  Hopefully they are there... if not what do we do?  Aside from going to Barrista's and getting the coffee from them ??

23 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I remember on Riviera there was a large serve yourself Espresso machine on the Pool Deck not far from the Terrace restaurant.  We didn't like the coffee served in the restaurant and used to go and make double espressos outside and bring them in.

Do these machines exist on Vista?  We are Swiss, loathe what is called "american coffee" or brewed coffee and at home only drink Nespresso.  Hopefully they are there... if not what do we do?  Aside from going to Barrista's and getting the coffee from them ??

If you access to the Executive lounge  you could use the machine there   but Barristas is the best  IMO

33 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Go to steamboats photo review and look at Aquamar and Terrace. The menu for Aquamar has espresso drinks, so if it is open you can get espresso (the photo seems to show a "real" espresso machine for the servers to use, not a self-serve, but it is far away in the photo). The photos for Terrace show a self-serve machine that is a little different (icons on a touch screen) but looks to be for espresso drinks.

I was disappointed to read on some Vista reviews, that this machine, is not available in their Horizon Lounge, as is on the Insignia.

I enjoy its “Americano” better than Barrista made coffee, which I find too strong, or dining room coffee which I find too weak. 

IMG_3807.jpeg

• Like 2

We have a Vista suite so access to the lounge - which I never found particularly handy before.  However I don't quite see myself walking around the ship with two double espressos !!  Hopefully the waiters at the Terrace and GDR will be able to get us our espressos.

17 hours ago, bob brown said:

I was disappointed to read on some Vista reviews, that this machine, is not available in their Horizon Lounge, as is on the Insignia.

I agree, seems strange to omit such a staple from the other ships.  We spend a lot of time up in Horizons, including port days, and that coffee machine gets a workout from others enjoying the lounge!  I understand their thinking in not putting out the early riser's pastries now that they have the bakery in the barista's area, but surely the coffee machine will be missed.  I wonder what they'll do for afternoon tea now?  Yes, most do drink tea during tea time, but that coffee machine gets plenty of use from those of us who prefer coffee during tea!

• Like 1

If enough people put it on both the mid-cruise and end-of-cruise feedback, maybe they will put one in Horizons. It shouldn't be difficult to add a counter and espresso machine plus tea, etc. as long as there is a water supply handy.

• Like 2

I can't stand Americano coffee. The hot water that's added scalds the coffee. I prefer a proper lungo. On my last Oceania cruise I explained to the baristas In Barristas how to prepare a proper lungo and they were more than happy to prepare me what I drink here in Switzerland, and I even found some other cruisers who followed my line!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, catandmouse said:

I can't stand Americano coffee. The hot water that's added scalds the coffee. I prefer a proper lungo.

is it  the same as  a double espresso of something different ?

A lungo is a long coffee. You just run the hot water through the ground coffee to fill the cup. Don't add any extra water. 

Indeed you make it just like an expresso but run more water (about twice as much) through the coffee. 

Contrary to what the barristas tell you, it doesn't make the coffee bitter. If the coffee tastes bitter that's a reflection on the quality of the coffee, how it's been roasted or that it's been ground too fine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:40 PM, catandmouse said:

I can't stand Americano coffee. The hot water that's added scalds the coffee. I prefer a proper lungo. On my last Oceania cruise I explained to the baristas In Barristas how to prepare a proper lungo and they were more than happy to prepare me what I drink here in Switzerland, and I even found some other cruisers who followed my line!

Well - fancy meeting you here on CC !!!  And I agree.  I hate "Americano" coffee".  I want an espresso and a double at that.  Just like we have at home.   I hope there is an espresso machine (at least for the waiters) in the Terrace but if not - I shall get mine at Barristas and take it to breakfast with me.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Well - fancy meeting you here on CC !!!  And I agree.  I hate "Americano" coffee".  I want an espresso and a double at that.  Just like we have at home.   I hope there is an espresso machine (at least for the waiters) in the Terrace but if not - I shall get mine at Barristas and take it to breakfast with me.

On Regatta there is a "real" espresso machine  in the Terrace bar. However, there is also an automated espresso machine where the servers get water, coffee, tea, juice; so you may need to specify espresso from the bar if the automated kind is not what you want.

The ships sometimes vary when it comes to small things like this, so you may want to ask about a specific ship (unless I hit the jackpot and you're on Regatta 😉 ).

Is barista staffed at 5:00am? DH is used to having coffee with other early birds in Horizons but we hear there is no coffee machine there on Vista. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Hw4 said:

Is barista staffed at 5:00am? DH is used to having coffee with other early birds in Horizons but we hear there is no coffee machine there on Vista. Thanks!

I do not believe they open until 6 am

But  maybe the self serve machine will be working in the Terrace

• Like 1

After flying in a trio of “techies” from Miami to work aboard the Insignia while were in Japan on various mechanical issues, including working on the frequently malfunctioning coffee machine in Horizons that I pictured in a previous post, they gave up on it and installed this new one…

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, bob brown said:

After flying in a trio of “techies” from Miami to work aboard the Insignia while were in Japan on various mechanical issues, including working on the frequently malfunctioning coffee machine in Horizons that I pictured in a previous post, they gave up on it and installed this new one…

image.jpg

Is there a "hot water" button?