Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

On 6/2/2023 at 8:55 AM, avonlady6390 said:

Service dogs are allowed I think they limit how many per cruise last year on the Discovery I saw 2 dogs on board one was a German Shepard for a blind person and the other was a yorkie for a diabetic they have a relieving area somewhere on board.

Service dogs are allowed and they do not limit how many (against ADA if there is a US port - similar to limiting the amount of wheelchairs is not allowed). I do know if there will be a lot of them, they will often warn other passengers. I know of a group that went and they did let passengers know that 20 individuals onboard would each have a service dog.

I had a parent who had a Seeing Eye dog and her 2 dogs probably reached Elite status 🙂 They were well traveled.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, SargassoPirate said:

WD40 and Duct Tape: if it moves and shouldn't, duct tape.  If it should move but doesn't, WD40.

If you don’t have any WD-40 with you, and some thing is squeaking if you have a first aid kit with antibiotic Wakeman in it that works too

Just now, 1498sg said:

If you don’t have any WD-40 with you, and some thing is squeaking if you have a first aid kit with antibiotic Wakeman in it that works too

Should say, antibiotic ointment 

54 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Just look up “the dentist everyone hates”!  Root canals get a bad rap but if you have tooth pain I’m your best friend, well sorta. lol

Shiiiiiit I’m glad to have had an endontist! (And believe me I’ve had probably six root canals) no pain at all. (Other than having to have my jaw agape for an hour)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Shiiiiiit I’m glad to have had an endontist! (And believe me I’ve had probably six root canals) no pain at all. (Other than having to have my jaw agape for an hour)

You have a good endodontist!  Trust me, it’s not an easy gig. lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

So you wipe after the cabin attendant has been in? That’s a lot of wiping. Maybe I need to up my game!

I also wipe the cabin attendant. You don't know where he's been.

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

7 hours ago, marden1970 said:

We were on the Crown in March/April for 28 days, our mattress was fine for us but everyone has their own preferences.

The Regal mattresses also great and new ( to me) all white linens and comforters were great. I used to ask for extra foam topper; no need anymore. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, loge23 said:

We bring individual packets of Via instant coffee from Starbucks (or your preference) to add to the room service coffee urn - one or two to the pot usually does the trick. Without the additive, it can be quite tasteless. The top of the urn just twists off easily. 

Us too!

• Like 1

Just now, Lady Arwen said:

As a retired endodontist, I never leave home without a dental repair kit.  If you’re cruising internationally, or to remote locations, finding a dentist can be challenging, to say the least.  I suggest that you ask your dentist to give you a little emergency packet, containing temporary filling material, oral cotton swabs, a small plastic monojet syringe for rinsing difficult areas, an interproximal brush and some Sensodyne toothpaste.

If you’re in the middle of treatment, be it root canals or crown and bridge, your dentist can also supply you with a prescription for antibiotics or pain meds, just in case of a flare up.

I know it’s not at the top of anyone’s list, but if something happens when you’re away from home, it can either make or break your vacation.  I’ve used my kit twice for fellow passengers.

You would be a great person to know on a cruise lol! I hate that cruise ships do not have dentists.

I had a root canal on a premolar 2 years ago, it was never crowned so half the tooth broke off a year ago. I’m waiting to get it sorted so now I have a temporary glass ionomer filling on the palatal side of the tooth. I’m so worried about the temporary breaking off on my next cruise in 2 weeks time (and also protecting the remaining side of the tooth). Do you think if it does break off I can redo it myself with temporary filling material?

• Like 1

Just now, KarmaCruisers said:

No pain with a root canal, it’s the rubber dam I can’t stand! Very claustrophobic!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

You would be a great person to know on a cruise lol! I hate that cruise ships do not have dentists.

I had a root canal on a premolar 2 years ago, it was never crowned so half the tooth broke off a year ago. I’m waiting to get it sorted so now I have a temporary glass ionomer filling on the palatal side of the tooth. I’m so worried about the temporary breaking off on my next cruise in 2 weeks time (and also protecting the remaining side of the tooth). Do you think if it does break off I can redo it myself with temporary filling material?

Hard to say, because it depends if your tooth breaks off subgingivally, below the gum, or if you just lose the temp.  For sure, have your dentist give you some temporary filling material.  Do not buy the junk they sell on Amazon!  Chew on the other side.  If you do have a dental concern while you’re away, the medical team on the ship can find a dentist who could see you as an emergency at the closest port.  Also, you could message me here and I could give you instructions.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Hard to say, because it depends if your tooth breaks off subgingivally, below the gum, or if you just lose the temp.  For sure, have your dentist give you some temporary filling material.  Do not buy the junk they sell on Amazon!  Chew on the other side.  If you do have a dental concern while you’re away, the medical team on the ship can find a dentist who could see you as an emergency at the closest port.  Also, you could message me here and I could give you instructions.  Good luck!

Thanks so much for your help! I have the usual Dentek that Amazon sell but I also have some Cavit temporary filling material and some glass ionomer I bought from Amazon. Would Cavit work better than the Dentek?

I think it is partially below the gum line?

CAEAB1FA-6CE4-48A0-A342-0B318F5E8C6D.jpeg

1 minute ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks so much for your help! I have the usual Dentek that Amazon sell but I also have some Cavit temporary filling material and some glass ionomer I bought from Amazon. Would Cavit work better than the Dentek?

I think it is partially below the gum line?

CAEAB1FA-6CE4-48A0-A342-0B318F5E8C6D.jpeg

I would recommend Cavit, only because it’s easy to work with and gives a pretty good seal.  Also, it’s not messy. Only problem is if you put a lot of wear and tear on the tooth, the Cavit does break down and could fall out.  Take a couple of small tubes if your dentist has them, or you may have to take the tub size. You will need an instrument to apply the Cavit to the tooth and you have to make sure it’s smooth with no bumps or rough edges.  You can dampen a cotton swab and wipe it until it feels smooth. Since you still have two weeks before your cruise, I suggest you see your dentist to show you the proper technique.  Without seeing you myself, it’s hard to say how stable your tooth is right now.  Good luck and please let me know how it went on your cruise.  Bon voyage!

• Thanks 1

I would recommend Cavit, only because it’s easy to work with and gives a pretty good seal.  Also, it’s not messy. Only problem is if you put a lot of wear and tear on the tooth, the Cavit does break down and could fall out.  Take a couple of small tubes if your dentist has them, or you may have to take the tub size. You will need an instrument to apply the Cavit to the tooth and you have to make sure it’s smooth with no bumps or rough edges.  You can dampen a cotton swab and wipe it until it feels smooth. Since you still have two weeks before your cruise, I suggest you see your dentist to show you the proper technique.  Without seeing you myself, it’s hard to say how stable your tooth is right now.  Good luck and please let me know how it went on your cruise.  Bon voyage!

Thanks so much for your help.

Great I have a tub of it I am taking and some cheap tools. Do I wipe the cotton bud on the filling when it’s still wet to smooth it or do I wait for it to dry? I take it it is the type of material that bonds well in a wet environment? 

An endodist did the temporary filling back in March, after taking off the old one to have a good look at the tooth, and it’s stayed so far. I have been trying to eat on the other side to be fair. My dentist thinks they did a pretty good job of the temporary filling so is reluctant to change it before I either have a crown with post or a composite overlay (not to bore everyone on this thread talking about dentistry - sorry) but I may need the root canal redone first because it’s short, which I would like to avoid because I hate the rubber dam.

Cavit temporary tooth filling material may now be part of my list of odd things to take on a cruise!

I have to say since COVID, I have brought an oxygen sensor (even though my new Apple Watch has one also), thermometer to see if I have a fever and medicine to treat symptoms (cough, Tylenol, etc...). I have friends who were on a ship and couldn't get access to any of that.

I even brought a light blanket from Costco (that I can leave behind if I don't have room) as I am not a fan of Princess's heavy bedding.

I literally felt like I brought the kitchen sink on my last cruise (winter jackets as snow was predicted, 2 rain jackets as rain was predicted the entire time, ear muffs, gloves, goretex athletic shoes). Oh well - maybe bringing all that helped because we had 70 degree temps and sun the entire time.

Edited by Coral
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks so much for your help.

Great I have a tub of it I am taking and some cheap tools. Do I wipe the cotton bud on the filling when it’s still wet to smooth it or do I wait for it to dry? I take it it is the type of material that bonds well in a wet environment? 

An endodist did the temporary filling back in March, after taking off the old one to have a good look at the tooth, and it’s stayed so far. I have been trying to eat on the other side to be fair. My dentist thinks they did a pretty good job of the temporary filling so is reluctant to change it before I either have a crown with post or a composite overlay (not to bore everyone on this thread talking about dentistry - sorry) but I may need the root canal redone first because it’s short, which I would like to avoid because I hate the rubber dam.

Cavit temporary tooth filling material may now be part of my list of odd things to take on a cruise!

Before the Cavit has set, smooth it out with a damp cotton swab, not after it hardens.  If your original root canal is a short fill, you really do need a retreatment.  The reason is that space between the apex of your tooth and the gutta percha root filling material could cause future problems, such as pain and infection.  My suggestion is to have the retreatment followed by a crown.  Or, extract the tooth and replace it with an implant.  In the end, it will cost about the same and the implant lasts forever.

Sorry, everyone for high jacking this thread, but a fellow member needed advice.  Thanks for your patience!

• Like 3

Before the Cavit has set, smooth it out with a damp cotton swab, not after it hardens.  If your original root canal is a short fill, you really do need a retreatment.  The reason is that space between the apex of your tooth and the gutta percha root filling material could cause future problems, such as pain and infection.  My suggestion is to have the retreatment followed by a crown.  Or, extract the tooth and replace it with an implant.  In the end, it will cost about the same and the implant lasts forever.

Sorry, everyone for high jacking this thread, but a fellow member needed advice.  Thanks for your patience!

Thank you very much. And yes sorry to bore everyone talking about dentistry. This is the last place I would have imagined getting dental advice 🙂

My dentist says the same, I just hate the rubber dam as I’m quite claustrophobic. I shall have a think about what to do after my cruise! 

Thanks again that’s really helpful, I shall make sure I have Cavit with me but hopefully the existing filling will stay anyway! 

My packing list is getting larger and larger with all these suggestions on this thread!

• Like 1

Just now, Coral said:

I have to say since COVID, I have brought an oxygen sensor (even though my new Apple Watch has one also), thermometer to see if I have a fever and medicine to treat symptoms (cough, Tylenol, etc...). I have friends who were on a ship and couldn't get access to any of that.

Yes a I’ve added a small thermometer to my list too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thank you very much. And yes sorry to bore everyone talking about dentistry. This is the last place I would have imagined getting dental advice 🙂

My dentist says the same, I just hate the rubber dam as I’m quite claustrophobic. I shall have a think about what to do after my cruise! 

Thanks again that’s really helpful, I shall make sure I have Cavit with me but hopefully the existing filling will stay anyway! 

My packing list is getting larger and larger with all these suggestions on this thread!

You are most welcome!  As for the rubber dam, for my patients who felt uncomfortable, I would cut the rubber away from their nose, so that they could breath without an obstruction.  As long as your throat is completely covered, then adjusting the dam is very simple.  Have a great cruise!

You are most welcome!  As for the rubber dam, for my patients who felt uncomfortable, I would cut the rubber away from their nose, so that they could breath without an obstruction.  As long as your throat is completely covered, then adjusting the dam is very simple.  Have a great cruise!

Thank you very much 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1498sg said:

Should say, antibiotic ointment 

Thanks for taking the time to follow up. I saw your your first post as it first came up with the capitalized Wakeman and wondered if you meant a guy named Waksman, who invented several antibiotics.

Edited by mtnesterz