Considering O - from a HAL Guy

friendswithdave

@SATaxman

i have never seen a RCCL 500 sq ft Owners Suite like you referenced but I have cruised in an Oceania Suite and it is REALLY NICE! The extra 500 sq ft is a humongous difference when it comes to having friends in for a drink or just sharing your space. Most importantly, you are on a 1200 pax Oceania ship and not some LARGE RCCL ship. Love the location of the O Suite too. While we often sail in a PH which is very close to the size of your 500 ft Owners Suite, if I could get into an Oceania Suite for only an extra $1000, my DW would have her credit card permanently on file with Oceania to book that Suite, it is that good ESPECIALLY if on Vista which we just sailed on. 😇👍 JMHO

Pull the trigger and ENJOY, you only live once. 

Mauibabes 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We debated (still talking about it) whether to book a Concierge level instead of a basic verandah.  But, in the final analysis, it did not seem to make a lot of sense to pay another $1000 for a few small benefits (such as being able to book restaurant reservations a couple of weeks earlier).  And, of course, now we have to wait and see what the new "all in" means in terms of benefits/cost.  We  booked with the O Life Beverage Package (we have no use for cruise line excursions in Europe) as a "holding action" which we can change depending on FDR's new options.

Hank

I wanted the concierge suite for access to the spa.  Granted, this is a cooler weather cruise but you never know if there's a warm spell I will enjoy being outside on a lounger working on my tan.  After a 29 year career in the Foreign Service I'm in rest and relaxation.  I will do some excursions but did a similar cruise a few years ago so those are not my priority.  My priority is to be on this gorgeous ship and enjoy every second!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

From what I have seen the cruises fill up...  I am not sure about the Caribbean but I know the room categories we would consider on any Oceania ship fill quickly.   We are perhaps a bit too choosy.

I don't apologize for bringing 2 suitcases - you should think you're too choosy!  You like what you like and we all have different priorities based on preference, price, convenience etc....  It's good to know what you want right?!

26 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@SATaxman

i have never seen a RCCL 500 sq ft Owners Suite like you referenced but I have cruised in an Oceania Suite and it is REALLY NICE! The extra 500 sq ft is a humongous difference when it comes to having friends in for a drink or just sharing your space. Most importantly, you are on a 1200 pax Oceania ship and not some LARGE RCCL ship. Love the location of the O Suite too. While we often sail in a PH which is very close to the size of your 500 ft Owners Suite, if I could get into an Oceania Suite for only an extra $1000, my DW would have her credit card permanently on file with Oceania to book that Suite, it is that good ESPECIALLY if on Vista which we just sailed on. 😇👍 JMHO

Mauibabes 

I'd love to see the different suites on the Vista - are we organizing a Cabin Crawl on this trip?

27 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@SATaxman

Mauibabes 

28 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@SATaxman

Mauibabes 

We are looking forward to our first Oceania cruise. My post regarding RCL was a response to a post regarding the difference in price with other lines. RCCL ships are tooooooooo big. We have only cruised with them as "guests" who worked hard to "earn" the trips. Although on one of the 2 RCCL cruises we paid for, we met a group of people through Cruise Critic. Spent 10 days on private excursion with the group, hung out in the concierge lounge, and really did not see the crowds until we disembarked in Rome to wait for our driver. My husband said: who are all of these people?

If I may, the difference all comes under the heading of VALUE and IMHO, you will experience that Oceania value when you have sailed with them. It is not just a number in your checkbook, it is the overall experience.  TRY IT, YOU’LL LIKE IT 🤪👍🛳️🍹 We have been “trying it” for over 15 years and continue to come “Home”. 😇

Mauibabes

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TableGirl said:

I wanted the concierge suite for access to the spa.  Granted, this is a cooler weather cruise but you never know if there's a warm spell I will enjoy being outside on a lounger working on my tan.  After a 29 year career in the Foreign Service I'm in rest and relaxation. 

We chose the concierge for the thermal pool in the spa and access to the concierge. On previous cruises on Viking we found the thermal pool to be wonderful, better than the whirlpool, and on HAL we found access to the concierge in a Neptune stateroom to be more of a benefit than we predicted. 

I think you'll be happy with your choice! I hope we are, too! We'd be interested in hearing about your career, if that opportunity ever arises.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 7:17 AM, TableGirl said:

No but the friend I am traveling with is.  There was only 1 left when we booked.  I’m not fond of sleeping in a twin bed.  However, the solo cabin is a concierge level room.  It looks to be 21 sq feet smaller than mine so I will be very interested to see it.  She paid about $2,000 less than I did.  But then I get to make restaurant reservations sooner.

If she is  in the Concierge  solo cabin she should be able to book her Res at the same time  🤔

2 minutes ago, TableGirl said:

Her date for booking reservations are about a month after mine...

Interesting

I will mention that to my friend who looking at booking the solo cabin

Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:51 PM, mauibabes said:

@SATaxman

Mauibabes 

We have cruised on Riviera (and are now booked on Vista).  First cruise was in an Oceania Suite which we liked a lot.  Second - Trans Atlantic - we were in an Owners Suite which of course is a lot larger.  We liked that a lot but found the balcony to be very narrow and too full of large teak furniture to really move about much.  Then our last O cruise we had a Vista Suite which we absolutely loved.  It is bigger than the Oceania Suite and the balcony was quite a lot bigger.  We are now booked in a Vista Suite on Vista for an April 24 Mediterranean cruise.  A comment though - I would not book the Owners Suite on a port-intensive cruise because the noise from the stern thrusters and the vibration would wake me up too early every day (!) and I would not book the Vista Suite unless it were a port-intensive cruise because you cannot use the balcony at night (the Bridge is disturbed by lights) and if underway in the day time there is too much wind as a rule.  I DO like the fact that there are two full bathrooms.  That helps in the mornings especially!!  (I am not sure the one on Riviera had two full baths...did have a "powder room").  

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2023 at 2:41 PM, LuAnn said:

friendswithdave...I think you will find O very different from HAL in SO many ways. Living in San Diego I've been on HAL quite often as they sail out of SD to Mexico and Hawaii. I was last on board this past Xmas and was very disappointed in the food..and the charging in the MDR for certain dishes. While we enjoyed some of the venues within the "Music Walk" the entertainment just seemed so "one note" ..all music and really nothing else. And of course the size of the ships with O are much smaller than with HAL if that is a consideration. I think you'll enjoy O if you give it a try and may not go back to HAL!!! 🙂

We completed a 21 day Baltic and Norway cruise in May and I didn't gain 1 pound!  The food was mostly awful.  We are doing a 27 day O cruise in May 2024 from Dubai to Barcelona.  I am going to lose 5 lbs so that I have some room to grow.  Hopefully, O will be up to the challenge.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 10:48 PM, LHT28 said:

Interesting

I will mention that to my friend who looking at booking the solo cabin

Thanks

I have a solo cabin on Vista for a Caribbean cruise in Dec. 2024. My specialty restaurant booking date is 60 days out, same as the other Concierge cabins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Another question: does O not have an app? I called them yesterday, and the person who answered didn't know! He looked online, and couldn't find an answer. So I assume that they don't.

Is that correct?

No they don't.

On 6/1/2023 at 5:35 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Other cruise lines do demos. On O, you cook!

And they came around with wine for us at our class on Marina with Chef Stephanie,  who was a hoot.

17 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Another question: does O not have an app? I called them yesterday, and the person who answered didn't know! He looked online, and couldn't find an answer. So I assume that they don't.

Is that correct?

The person who answered was a dope.  No, O doesn't have an app.  That should not have been a difficult question for a CSR.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Yep, pretty amazing that he couldn't answer a simple question.

The bigger question is why do people insist on calling in to Oceania when they can get a quicker and more accurate answer here. But if you really want to get bad information try using Mark Z's platform. Wow, wow, wow. Are people stupid or do they give wrong information on purpose?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:47 PM, friendswithdave said:

Considering an O cruise for the first time in December and had a few questions. We've been on 6-8 HAL cruises plus a few others so we are most familiar with HAL. Value is important to us so we work hard to cruise when we can get great value. We upgraded to a suite on our most recent cruise and it will be hard to go back. That said, I could see us going to a verandah on O if the quality and value are both worthwhile. 

I looked on the O website to try to find answer, but few were there. Considering the new Vista if that makes a difference for answers. We drink little and don't do ship excursions. We tend to book the lowest rates and purchase stuff a la carte.

- It appears specialty restaurants are included. Does this mean all? Unlimited? That doesn't seem to make sense. How does this work if not?

- Wife enjoys specialty coffees. Are these included as well?

- Did I see the spa areas are also included, like sauna, stone loungers and therapy pool / hot tub? If so, how do these areas keep from being overcrowded?

- Are there areas of the ship reserved for suite guests? 

- Entertainment has been disappointing on HAL, but we love the BB King band. How is the entertainment and live music on O?

- Did I see free internet is included?

- How are the cooking classes? Wife loves to cook and bake and would love those if the quality is there.

I'm also a HAL person who just tried Oceania (Riviera) in July.  

• Specialty restaurants are included but must make reservations.  Sometimes difficult to get a table for 2 at a reasonable time.  In my opinion, The O specialty restaurants are no better than HALs inspite of O's cuisine claims.  Also, the MDR is mediocre at best.  The buffet on O is better than HAL, especially for breakfast.
  • My wife is also a bit of a coffee snob and did not think O's specialty coffees were any better than HAL.
  • Entertainment on O is okay but not better than HAL.
  • A very basic Internet is included but you may need to upgrade if you need to do anything beyond basic email, surfing, etc.
  • The ship and the cabins are beautiful.  Far nicer than HAL.
  • Cooking classes fill up quickly.  Book as early as possible.
  • Not sure about your SPA and suite questions.

For me, the bottom line is itinerary.  I would book either line if the itinerary is interesting.  If both offer similar itineraries, I would probably book HAL because the price will likely be far lower.  If the ship is your priority, than Oceania should be your choice, but in my opinion, not because of the food.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lets don't oversell O to those who have not experienced an O cruise.  We have cruised for decades and enjoy nice cabins, good food and great itineraries, and not "loyal" to one cruise lines.  Last year we did a TA on Riviera followed several months later by a Panama Canal transit on HAL Zaandam.  Similar sized ships.  We found Zaandam significantly better to include food especially in the specialty restaurants.  "O" has coined the advertising slogan of "best cuisine at sea."  It is not, especially when including ambiance of the restaurants.  "O's" specialties are crowded, table to close together, compared to Zaandam.  And the noise levels in the specialties is nearly unbearable, so bad that we did not return to one for a second meal.  Tables in the buffet are also too close together miming access and forcing diners to walk circuitous routes to tables.  We found the suite cabin adequate but nothing special.  Dining room crew were even a bit "uppity" to guests.  "O" is not a panacea.  Azamara is much better and friendlier.  Even HAL's Zaandam is superior.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:25 PM, ORV said:

The bigger question is why do people insist on calling in to Oceania when they can get a quicker and more accurate answer here. But if you really want to get bad information try using Mark Z's platform. Wow, wow, wow. Are people stupid or do they give wrong information on purpose?

WOW!  These board offer opinions, not facts.  Facts on a specific cruise question is much better answered by the cruise company, not some random commentary on CC.  Especially on a thread created to praise "O" - you will not find an unbiased answer.

13 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Lets don't oversell O to those who have not experienced an O cruise.  We have cruised for decades and enjoy nice cabins, good food and great itineraries, and not "loyal" to one cruise lines.  Last year we did a TA on Riviera followed several months later by a Panama Canal transit on HAL Zaandam.  Similar sized ships.  We found Zaandam significantly better to include food especially in the specialty restaurants.  "O" has coined the advertising slogan of "best cuisine at sea."  It is not, especially when including ambiance of the restaurants.  "O's" specialties are crowded, table to close together, compared to Zaandam.  And the noise levels in the specialties is nearly unbearable, so bad that we did not return to one for a second meal.  Tables in the buffet are also too close together miming access and forcing diners to walk circuitous routes to tables.  We found the suite cabin adequate but nothing special.  Dining room crew were even a bit "uppity" to guests.  "O" is not a panacea.  Azamara is much better and friendlier.  Even HAL's Zaandam is superior.

Correction: the "O" ship was Marina.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:07 PM, chrisbu315 said:

I'm also a HAL person who just tried Oceania (Riviera) in July.  

• Specialty restaurants are included but must make reservations.  Sometimes difficult to get a table for 2 at a reasonable time.  In my opinion, The O specialty restaurants are no better than HALs inspite of O's cuisine claims.  Also, the MDR is mediocre at best.  The buffet on O is better than HAL, especially for breakfast.
  • My wife is also a bit of a coffee snob and did not think O's specialty coffees were any better than HAL.
  • Entertainment on O is okay but not better than HAL.
  • A very basic Internet is included but you may need to upgrade if you need to do anything beyond basic email, surfing, etc.
  • The ship and the cabins are beautiful.  Far nicer than HAL.
  • Cooking classes fill up quickly.  Book as early as possible.
  • Not sure about your SPA and suite questions.

For me, the bottom line is itinerary.  I would book either line if the itinerary is interesting.  If both offer similar itineraries, I would probably book HAL because the price will likely be far lower.  If the ship is your priority, than Oceania should be your choice, but in my opinion, not because of the food.

Our sentiments exactly!!  We agree with your assessment. #1, itinerary, #2 price, #3 food, #4 ship.  We sail both lines and like different things about each. We didn't find the O food consistently better to warrant their claim. Both lines have misses sometimes.