Meraviglia from NY balcony

delynn72

I Keep getting upgrade offers for inside YC. We have Fantasica balcony from Brooklyn. My question, for those who have sailed from NY, how often were you able to use your balcony coming and going from NY? Will I miss it if I switch to the inside YC? I like to sit out there and have my coffee in the morning. Also, i'm going with my friend and not my DH, so it gives us a little more space with the balcony. 

I would take inside YC over any balcony experience. You have the YC sundeck in place of your balcony access is 24 hours. Yes might be a little more wind than your balcony but the overall experience of YC is incredible. Plus the spa access, not needing to reserve shows in main showroom, two device browse the internet. Just not having to use your card or band to pay for drinks in the lounge, sundeck or restaurant is a plus. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, delynn72 said:

I Keep getting upgrade offers for inside YC. We have Fantasica balcony from Brooklyn. My question, for those who have sailed from NY, how often were you able to use your balcony coming and going from NY? Will I miss it if I switch to the inside YC? I like to sit out there and have my coffee in the morning. Also, i'm going with my friend and not my DH, so it gives us a little more space with the balcony. 

I agree with @Brighton Line 100%.  If I had to choose between a YC Inside or a balcony outside the YC, I would choose a YC Inside in a heartbeat.  The service in the YC is excellant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delynn72 said:

The answer to your question is very personal. Depends on your approach to cruising. Just back from the Miraviglia and found our balcony was an oasis of quiet and solitude for escaping the hubbub, families and noise. Nothing better than the solitude of your personal balcony for enjoying your morning jolt of caffeine. YC could be the same…almost. Having chatted with dolphin1313 on the cruise, his reply makes a lotta sense as well. Cheers…

p.s. Mark, great to meet you. A bientot…

6 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

The answer to your question is very personal. Depends on your approach to cruising. Just back from the Miraviglia and found our balcony was an oasis of quiet and solitude for escaping the hubbub, families and noise. Nothing better than the solitude of your personal balcony for enjoying your morning jolt of caffeine. YC could be the same…almost. Having chatted with dolphin1313 on the cruise, his reply makes a lotta sense as well. Cheers…

It was great meeting you also @Crown Vic

I like seeing and feeling the sea on a cruise, so balcony for sure.

YC might have nice service but I feel like that's easily obtainable on land too, not a unique aspect of cruising. I think balcony gives you something you can't get on land and back home. I prefer the privacy of a balcony versus a public sundeck too, especially first thing in the morning with a coffee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Our first YIN was on Meraviglia, sailing from NYC. We definitely wouldn't have used the balcony. We just utilised the TSL instead. 

We had our first YC experience on Divina and maybe used our balcony an hour total the entire week.  We're trying our first YC interior on Meraviglia in November and while the reduced space will be an adjustment I think we'll be perfectly happy.

18 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

But was it cold/windy leaving NY and before arriving in FL? 

We had Fantastica with a balcony on Meraviglia. Love the balcony as we do use it almost daily. In the summer out of NY it is usable right away. During the winter leaving NY the first day I do not use it but I love the view. Usually in a day you are fine in the winter to enjoy it outside on your balcony as you are approaching the Carolinas.

• Like 1

While I love, love the YC the insides are TEENY TINY and very very Claustrophobic.  You'd almost have to make a schedule of when you and your friend could be in the cabin while someone else was out of it.  It's hard enough to share with my DH, let alone a friend.

In this case, I'd stick with the balcony.  Worse case is you bring a sweat suit and hang out there with your coffee while your friend is inside or using the bathroom.  You can snuggle up and still enjoy the fresh air and she gets a wee bit of privacy.  (Which you WON"T have in a YIN)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

While I love, love the YC the insides are TEENY TINY and very very Claustrophobic.  You'd almost have to make a schedule of when you and your friend could be in the cabin while someone else was out of it.  It's hard enough to share with my DH, let alone a friend.

In this case, I'd stick with the balcony.  Worse case is you bring a sweat suit and hang out there with your coffee while your friend is inside or using the bathroom.  You can snuggle up and still enjoy the fresh air and she gets a wee bit of privacy.  (Which you WON"T have in a YIN)

This is great to know!

I definitely get claustrophobic so the idea of not having even a window is not my idea of a vacation.

8 hours ago, delynn72 said:

But was it cold/windy leaving NY and before arriving in FL? 

Nope! The weather was warm and getting warmer as the ship sailed south. For sunbathers, the skies were somewhat overcast which meant fewer ‘lobsters’ around the pool, perhaps a blessing in disguise for those seeking a tan.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Nope! The weather was warm and getting warmer as the ship sailed south. For sunbathers, the skies were somewhat overcast which meant fewer ‘lobsters’ around the pool, perhaps a blessing in disguise for those seeking a tan.

Thank you, that's what I need to know, I don't think i want to be stuck in an interior if it's nice enough to use my balcony from the start.

44 minutes ago, delynn72 said:

Thank you, that's what I need to know, I don't think i want to be stuck in an interior if it's nice enough to use my balcony from the start.

Having a balcony gives one immediate access to the outside and fresh air…nice to have…

I might swap a Fantastica balcony for a YC outside, but never for an YC inside. I need daylight to properly wake up and I want to see outside right after I open my eyes and hug my husband to see where we are.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 1:45 PM, delynn72 said:

But the benefits of being in the YC FAR out weight the supposedly claustrophobic YIN cabin you'd be in versus a Fantastica balcony cabin.  There are many people that will only cruise on MSC in the YC.  There is a reason for this. With the YC you get your own dedicated restauant, your own dedicated sundeck, pool and hot tubs and spa access.  Or, you can have your 44 sq ft balcony.

On 6/6/2023 at 11:12 AM, Morgsmom said:

The OP was deciding between a YIN and a Fantastica balcony on the Meraviglia.  According to cruisedeckplans.com, the YIN cabins are 178 sq ft, while the balcony cabins are 161 sq ft, plus 44 extra for the balcony.  So, your Teeny Tiny claustrophobic YIN cabin is actually 17 sq ft larger than the balcony cabin space.  If you add the balcony portion, it's 27 sq ft larger, but I would prefer the YC deck, restaurant and other amenities if offered for a reasonable up charge.  Unless of course you leave your balcony door open all of the time to take advantage of that extra 27 sq ft and lose your air conditioning in the process.

If the upgrade cost is minimal, I'd go YC but it depends what you value.

I am doing my first inside since 2000, so I really can't chime in the room, the size (and washroom -- I hear that's teeny tiny as well) but when I asked my DW about balcony in the non-YC or YCI -- she said YCI.

If you are married -- why not ask the wife.

You will enjoy the tranquility of the entire YC (but you will miss the balcony, not for long...)

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The OP was deciding between a YIN and a Fantastica balcony on the Meraviglia.  According to cruisedeckplans.com, the YIN cabins are 178 sq ft, while the balcony cabins are 161 sq ft, plus 44 extra for the balcony.  So, your Teeny Tiny claustrophobic YIN cabin is actually 17 sq ft larger than the balcony cabin space.  If you add the balcony portion, it's 27 sq ft larger, but I would prefer the YC deck, restaurant and other amenities if offered for a reasonable up charge.  Unless of course you leave your balcony door open all of the time to take advantage of that extra 27 sq ft and lose your air conditioning in the process.

Oh, my, thanks for man-splaining (woman-splaining) me.  I think I choked on my coffee a bit 🙂 

So here's the thing about math, and dimensions, and layouts - where things are placed really matters.  

Having personally cruised on the same ship in each of the noted categories, and not based upon a website, here's my perspective.  For the YIN - you walk straight into the cabin and are faced with the bed. Assuming the bath is to the left, as well as closet and desk, then there's an odd, useless space to the right where there is sometimes a single chair (akin to the one found by the pool) which is fairly useless and gets in the way.  Overall it's a poor layout and I'll stick by my "teeny tiny" comment.

In a balcony cabin the bed is perpendicular to the door and there's also a sofa (either near balcony or near bathroom depending on configuration) as well as the full glass window of the balcony (regardless of whether you open it or not). There are thus multiple seating areas.   The feel is totally different.

The OP is sailing with a friend, NOT a spouse.  Listen, I love my DH to pieces so he's about the only person I'd share a YIN with because I could "deuces out" to the Spa for some solace (and a decent sized shower).  There's not a friend in the world I'd share a YIN with because I'd feel like I was constantly tiptoeing in little dark box.

• Like 3

But the benefits of being in the YC FAR out weight the supposedly claustrophobic YIN cabin you'd be in versus a Fantastica balcony cabin.  There are many people that will only cruise on MSC in the YC.  There is a reason for this. With the YC you get your own dedicated restauant, your own dedicated sundeck, pool and hot tubs and spa access.  Or, you can have your 44 sq ft balcony.

1. The value of the YC benefits is so personal. People who choose YC value the benefits, but not everyone values the same things.

2. I agree that on these boards there are many people who "will only cruise in YC." But they are a vocal minority. YC is only ever a couple hundred people and there are thousands of passengers. Most people do choose Fantastica balconies, that's why there's more of those rooms on any given newer ship, because MSC can sell them.

There's your key, YOU would prefer. Someone else can prefer a balcony and they're equally right.  There's no objective right or wrong here, it's a vacation, it's whatever makes you happy. Someone else preferring a balcony is no threat to you. Relax.

• Like 1