British on Carnival Celebration

Steddiguy

So I found a really good deal on the Carnival Celebration a Western Carribean cruise from Miami. I know Carnival is aimed at the American market. Would my partner and I fit in as British people? We're in our 50s but young at heart (even if our joints aren't what they used to be in our 20s and 30s lol).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Steddiguy said:

So I found a really good deal on the Carnival Celebration a Western Carribean cruise from Miami. I know Carnival is aimed at the American market. Would my partner and I fit in as British people? We're in our 50s but young at heart (even if our joints aren't what they used to be in our 20s and 30s lol).

I don’t see why not. Some of the pax might think you are the cruise director if they hear you talking. (J/K)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

You will love the Carnival Celebration,

you could not choose a better Carnival Ship.

We Sailed on her in April and it was an amazing cruise. 

Thanks for that video! Gives a good idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steddiguy said:

1) Don't expect a tea kettle in your cabin. Tea choices are very poor on Carnival, Lipton and Green tea, that is it.  2) Some of the food choices will be to American tastes, not British tastes. From past experiences many of the sweets and desserts on Carnival ships don't seem to appeal to Brits. Mornings bacon isn't the same, nor is the porridge/oatmeal.  3) Comedy shows won't have any British references. 4) I find that drinking habits slightly different for Americans vs Brits. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

1) Don't expect a tea kettle in your cabin. Tea choices are very poor on Carnival, Lipton and Green tea, that is it.  2) Some of the food choices will be to American tastes, not British tastes. From past experiences many of the sweets and desserts on Carnival ships don't seem to appeal to Brits. Mornings bacon isn't the same, nor is the porridge/oatmeal.  3) Comedy shows won't have any British references. 4) I find that drinking habits slightly different for Americans vs Brits. 

Are you trying to put us off Kwokpot? lol

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

You asked, so I'm just pointing out the differences. I know the hot water kettle is a BIG thing for Brits. I'm an experienced traveler planner, and it's pretty obvious when an online hotel review was written by someone from the UK. A hot water kettle is probably the #1 thing Brits mention in hotel reviews. I also notice it's quite important for a hotel to have a proper bar to have a drink, even in a low budget chain motel. In general, that's not something Americans necessarily need, especially when traveling with kids. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Thanks Kwokpot and I was joking, I knew what you meant  🙂. Coffee and tea making facilities in the room are nice, but not essential. As long as we can get coffee somewhere on board it's ok. We have stayed in the US before so I know what the bacon is like, we've had some great breakfasts and meals out in the US. And I'm sure we could cope with the entertainment and the drinks on offer 🙂

• Like 7

Coffee and hot water to make tea are available at no charge 24/7 on Lido, and via room service for a nominal fee outside of breakfast hours (room service for coffee/hot water is free during breakfast hours).

• Like 1

I'm British and have been on around 10 Carnival cruises. Me and my (now grown) kids love them, although my eldest is trying RC for the first time this summer. 

Everyone is really friendly, my youngest struck up a friendship on board when she was 13 years old - 10 years' later and a big pond between them they are still in contact. I find people are really interested to hear about where you are from. I'm also black british so have another layer of history that people are keen to learn about. I met a Canadian woman last cruise whose great grandmother had lived about 10 mins from where I grew up, prior to emigrating, so I was able to tell her all about it. 

I do find the food tricky on occasion. In my opinion USA uses far more additives in their food than UK, which my tummy feels. After what I considered awful food on the Pride last summer in terms of taste, temperature and general presentation, the Celebration earlier this year was fantastic in all of the places we ate, including buffet. 

Comedy shows vary by comedian and I do not always get all of the cultural references but I've been to some of the comedy shows where I am rolling in laughter, others not so much. For me, the PG shows were funnier than the 18+ shows, which were just swearing. I swear like a builder so it doesn't really rouse a laugh from me. 

I very much recommend Carnival and have not experienced any negativity being British

• Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 2:53 AM, Steddiguy said:

...Would my partner and I fit in as British people?...

It depends... It says you are from the UK. That covers a lot. If you are born and raised in Scotland you may find no one understands what the heck you are saying.

33 minutes ago, abbeydoo said:

After what I considered awful food on the Pride last summer in terms of taste, temperature and general presentation, the Celebration earlier this year was fantastic in all of the places we ate, including buffet.

The food on the Pride last summer was just horrid and as you witnessed not the standard of Carnival.

Fellow Brit here. From Nottingham, England.

Did my first Carnival Cruise on the magic in 2016 and since then been

on Vista (2019) and also tried Princess twice and MSC but as easy going brits who enjoy the ‘fun

ship’ aspect that Carnival bring they are our number 1!!

Im 41 now, wife few years younger and our 12 year old daughter LOVE to cruise carnival.

we actually like that there’s not many other English on board and we find the American crowd (and Mexican/Canadian ) 80% 20% split awesome!

The crowd on board is always awesome

and we have a great time.

Doing our third Carnival cruise this August on Mardi Gras.

Only problem being a Brit who books via carnival.com Is that I can’t take advantage of certain discounts that are only open to US residents (buying the AARP gift cards for example) and is a shame I can’t just get drinks package for myself as wife doesn’t really drink but other than that we LOVE cruising carnival.

Cheers!!!

Edited by HarryKane
  • Like 1

I'm a fellow Brit who's now at Platinum on the Carnival loyalty programme and looking forward to our Carnival cruises this October and October 2024. Just my opinion but your nationality is irrelevant, the most important aspect is what type of cruiser you are. If your cruise history is on the more formal, sedate type cruise lines like Cunard, HAL or Princess then the chances are you won't enjoy Carnival. 

However if you've previously cruised the likes of RCI, NCL or P&O then your much more likely to enjoy a Carnival cruise. Carnival are the Fun ships, very informal, lively, we love 'em.

By the way whoever suggested bringing your own teabags was bang on, we always bring our own. The tea is horrible and the coffee is just as bad.

13 minutes ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

I'm a fellow Brit who's now at Platinum on the Carnival loyalty programme and looking forward to our Carnival cruises this October and October 2024. Just my opinion but your nationality is irrelevant, the most important aspect is what type of cruiser you are. If your cruise history is on the more formal, sedate type cruise lines like Cunard, HAL or Princess then the chances are you won't enjoy Carnival. 

However if you've previously cruised the likes of RCI, NCL or P&O then your much more likely to enjoy a Carnival cruise. Carnival are the Fun ships, very informal, lively, we love 'em.

By the way whoever suggested bringing your own teabags was bang on, we always bring our own. The tea is horrible and the coffee is just as bad.

Taking your own teabags? I thought people were joking when they said that - such a stereotypical thing to say about Brits ‘take your own teabags ‘ 😂😂😂

I must be an exception then because I would never dream of taking tea bags with me. 

American coffee so good - plus the ice

cold beer, guys burgers, Shaq chicken etc

etc… ahh man I love it!

26 minutes ago, HarryKane said:

Taking your own teabags? I thought people were joking when they said that - such a stereotypical thing to say about Brits ‘take your own teabags ‘ 😂😂😂

I must be an exception then because I would never dream of taking tea bags with me. 

American coffee so good - plus the ice

cold beer, guys burgers, Shaq chicken etc

etc… ahh man I love it!

You don't have to be a Brit to bring your own teabags if you enjoy drinking tea. The fact is Carnival doesn't have a good selection of teas whether complementary NOR for pay at Java Blue. I bring my own all the time.

Edit:

Look what Celebrity has for their complementary tea selections in the buffet. They have another array of teas for purchase at their Cafe Al Bacio. Carnival literally has two types of tea in the buffet for you to choose. 

PXL_20221031_181416643~2 (1).jpg

Edited by kwokpot

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You don't have to be a Brit to bring your own teabags if you enjoy drinking tea. The fact is Carnival doesn't have a good selection of teas whether complementary NOR for pay at Java Blue. I bring my own all the time.

Edit:

Look what Celebrity has for their complementary tea selections in the buffet. They have another array of teas for purchase at their Cafe Al Bacio. Carnival literally has two types of tea in the buffet for you to choose. 

PXL_20221031_181416643~2 (1).jpg

so taking your own tea bags is not just a British thing?

You have just blown my mind! 🤯

If you're a coffee drinker you'll be disappointed with the horrible brown liquid Carnival serve, absolutely vile. It doesn't matter if you get it for free in the buffet or pay extra at Java Blue it's horrible. 

First thing on our packing list for every holiday regardless of destination will always be teabags. Every cruise we'll have Americans ask us for teabags when they see us making our tea. Great way to meet people and make new friends. 

• Like 1

I'm not British, but I take my own tea bags. We had the Cheers! package and got the "specialty" tea on our first Mardi Gras cruise, but this last time, and our other Carnival cruise we haven't. I've spoiled myself on good tea (and I have an electric kettle and get offended when people use the microwave lol) and I'll gladly take what I need to satisfy my morning tea/soda addiction!

To be fair, my best friend and his family was/are British and they would judge me 😉

On 6/6/2023 at 3:53 AM, Steddiguy said:

I mean, my husband and I are Americans and we don’t fit the stereotype of what people make Carnival cruisers out to be. We are empty nesters. I’m in my 40’s and he is in his 50’s. He doesn’t drink, I don’t drink that much. We cruise to relax and see the world. We never hang out in the bars or nightclubs onboard. Nor on the lido deck. We relax, we do trivia, we explore the ship and ports, we go to shows after dinner or we watch a movie on the big screen (if we are not too tired)…we have a wonderful cruise every time.

And we never leave we complaints. We have sailed during spring break and have never witnessed any unruliness. Perhaps because of our lifestyle and places on the ship we avoid. Who knows. But we love Carnival for the value, because there’s always something to do, because the staff is amazing, and because we simply have fun. So by all means, try it out. I truly believe a cruise is what you make of it. 

As a side note, we are sailing out of Dover in a couple weeks for the first time and really looking forward to visiting your neck of the woods for the first time. 😉 

Edited by Cruising_Addict
  • Like 1