Wifi without internet package on Oasis out of NJ

Is that correct that you can use the app and chat feature without purchasing the internet package?  I'm only interested in it to communicate with my teenager if he goes off and needs me.  How reliable is this?  I am not interested in being online and streaming while on the cruise, I'd like to be disconnected but not from my son.  And how do we link and allow us to chat if we are under the same reservation number?  If he downloads the app and writes in the chat, how are we communicating with eachother?  Thanks. 

You do not need the internet package for the app or chat.  These will work on board for free.  He can still make his own login for the app, tell him to download and log in with his own info, then he can add the reservation number and it will link you two up 

• Thanks 1

We didn't find the app chat feature at all reliable or the wifi in general out of NJ.

Apparently you can get notifications with the app messenger but we couldn't get it to work and most messages were not received or received the following day.

11 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

is it FREE? I thought it was $1.99 a day to use it.

Used to be a fee based platform but since notifications are pretty unreliable they made it free.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tin can said:

We didn't find the app chat feature at all reliable or the wifi in general out of NJ.

Apparently you can get notifications with the app messenger but we couldn't get it to work and most messages were not received or received the following day.

That wasn’t our experience at all on Oasis a few weeks ago.  We received notifications immediately. App worked very well for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That wasn’t our experience at all on Oasis a few weeks ago.  We received notifications immediately. App worked very well for us.

I think this is part of the problem.  Some people report good success but others have a terrible experience.  It could be based on the type of device or the version of code running on it.  Apple vs. Android, old iPhone vs. new iPhone, Galaxy vs. Pixel, how active you are on your device which can keep the wifi connection going, etc.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think this is part of the problem.  Some people report good success but others have a terrible experience.  It could be based on the type of device or the version of code running on it.  Apple vs. Android, old iPhone vs. new iPhone, Galaxy vs. Pixel, how active you are on your device which can keep the wifi connection going, etc.

iPhones seem to do better. We had updated our iOS and apps prior to boarding so that likely helped too. I have an iPhone 13 and DH has an iPhone 8. 

We have used the chat feature several times, most recently on the Wonder when it was free. I felt like the notifications worked better this last time, but even in the past it always worked for us, we just needed to open the app and go to the chat feature. Yes, it’s annoying to sometimes open the chat feature just to check for messages, but we’re on vacation. My college age kids are much more intuitive about apps, technology, etc, and never miss a message, my husband often “forgets” to check the app at the pool. 😉

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 8:34 PM, Cruisegirl138 said:

Is that correct that you can use the app and chat feature without purchasing the internet package?  I'm only interested in it to communicate with my teenager if he goes off and needs me.  How reliable is this?  I am not interested in being online and streaming while on the cruise, I'd like to be disconnected but not from my son.  And how do we link and allow us to chat if we are under the same reservation number?  If he downloads the app and writes in the chat, how are we communicating with eachother?  Thanks. 

How old is your teenager?  You must be 13 to use the app.