IONA ON BOARD CLOTHING FOR FJORDS CRUISE

bubsie

Hi all, we've previously cruised with RCL and NCL, and always in the Med or the Caribbean. In August 23 we are doing our first ever Fjords cruise and it will be on Iona. I've read lots of reviews about what to wear when disembarked (basically take lots of layers it seems inc a hat and gloves!) but what do people tend to wear on board during the day? In the warmer climates lots of people wear shorts, t-shirts and swim wear in the day and just dress a little smarter in the evening, but I'm expecting it will be too cold for this in the Fjords. Are jeans and other casual clothing allowed on board during the day? Is there something more suitable? Obviously not planning to wear jeans in the evening! Thanks for any advice. 

• Like 1

I dress in summer clothing while onboard. Linen or light weight trousers, shirt, tops, dresses etc. It can be cooler walking round or out on deck so a light weight jacket or cardigan. 

I change to go ashore if the weather looks like it could turn or it’s already cool.

• Like 1

Jeans fine during the day time and some folk wore the in the evening in speciality restaurants (dark denim with a nice top) and the buffet. If you go up to the buffet area on a cold evening take something warm with you. We tried it once and it was freezing cold.

Just take bits of everything and use your luggage allowance up! We took bits of everything.

• Like 1

We have had two summer fjord cruises where it’s been at least 25 degrees (hotter than at home) and we were sweltering even in shorts! As others have said, it’s cooler in the evenings. Temperatures inside the ship tend to be the same wherever you are, but some find the air con to be a bit chilly. 

• Like 1

We went to the fjords last August it was cold wet and miserable except for one day in Alesund 20 degrees. My advice would be to pack for all eventualities and defo take an umbrella and foldaway raincoat. HTh Enjoy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubsie said:

Did you notice whether people use the pool areas much? 

The weather is the same as it is here. You can’t beat sitting round the pool or out on deck, drink in hand looking at the mountains. The same as any August holiday but in Norway you have to be ready for rain.

Take suntan lotion and shorts plus take a waterproof and umbrella. 
It’s a beautiful country, fabulous scenery and crisp clean air. My favourite place to cruise to, any time of year. You’ll have a fantastic time. 

• Like 3

We were on Britannia in the Fjords last week and the weather was amazing. Temperatures were in the mid to high twenties and the sun shone nearly all the time. However, the guide on one trip we went on said that the previous week it had rained nearly all the time.The pool areas were busy in the afternoons when people returned from their trips.

Several evenings I was sat on the balcony in shorts and a t-shirt watching the sun set at around midnight  and I was also wearing the same on the balcony at 4.15am watching the sail up the Sognefjord to Flam

• Like 4

On 6/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, Snow Hill said:

When we went to the fjords in June 2019, we gad temperatures in the mid 20s centigrade, wore shorts and T-shirts most of the time, except in Alesund where it rained most of the time we were there. 

We were also in the Fjords in June 2019 on Arcadia. I agree with your comments about the temperatures. I was just glad we took clothes for any weather. Off again in 4 weeks on Iona and will do the same.

• Like 1

We've just returned from a seven day cruise on Iona. As well as shorts and t-shirts for me, linens and t-shirts for our lass, we packed a hoody for me and a cardi for her for evenings on deck and going ashore, and a summer jacket each; in anticipation of wet weather, we packed foldable brollies, proper waterproof jackets for both of us, and a pair of cagoules or, as my late mother would call them, goulies. 

The reality:

When ashore and on the deck at all times of the day, I wore shorts and a t-shirt or short sleeved shirt, and our lass wore linens and a t-shirt.

When dining, I like to wear a light sports jacket over a plain t-shirt; I wore the former just once, wearing smart short sleeved shirts the rest of the time.

Our DC did say though that, in the seven weeks he has been cruising the Fjords this season, our week was by far the best for the weather.

• Like 1