Looking for greener grass….

PhD-iva

12 hours ago, Orator said:

Celebrity for there top level includes unlimited free dry cleaning and laundry. Free premium drink package. Free unlimited premium internet. Upgraded bath products and usually a lunch with senior officers and more.

With over 50 cruises with C, we could never reach zenith. Don't drink, don't need dry clean and do my own laundry, don't want to waste my time eating with officers. You must have posted this with tongue in cheek. NO comparison to O.

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

With over 50 cruises with C, we could never reach zenith. Don't drink, don't need dry clean and do my own laundry, don't want to waste my time eating with officers. You must have posted this with tongue in cheek. NO comparison to O.

SS and SB programs are also pretty good.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 7:29 AM, ak1004 said:

Interesting that Canadian site has SB prices including taxes. I noticed the same for some other lines as well (Uniworld has Canadian site including taxes and US site excluding).

I agree about ship size, also better passenger/crew ratio (1.33 on SB vs. 1.56 on O).

I was surprised to see such small difference in price when you consider all inclusions. However, for people like us who don't drink and are fine with OV, the difference is pretty significant.

I was just thinking about this. SB has OV cabins (unlike Viking). I have not compared those prices as we really do always book verandah. But maybe if you run the numbers they are fairly close. I have no idea. They will still include drinks that are not important to you, but with the changes coming with O it could pencil out well. Again, I only have the one SB experience so I am not an expert by any means to compare. 

39 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I was just thinking about this. SB has OV cabins (unlike Viking). I have not compared those prices as we really do always book verandah. But maybe if you run the numbers they are fairly close. I have no idea. They will still include drinks that are not important to you, but with the changes coming with O it could pencil out well. Again, I only have the one SB experience so I am not an expert by any means to compare. 

I'm actually checking SB prices all the time. They do have few Mediterranean and West Europe sailings that are around $600-650 CAD per day, usually for OV. O OV is typically around $400-450 CAD. This is still a significant difference. However, if on July 1st O prices increase say by $80-100 CAD per day, then the prices will become pretty close. This is even before any promotions, and SB had a 15% promotion last year for all sailings, so many sailings were around $500-550 CAD. This would be a no brainer.

Same is true for SS, and SS also includes one excursion in each port. Last year we were able to book SS cruise at $550 CAD per day, which was actually cheaper than our cruise on Vista. Plus their entry level cabins are over 300 sqft (not to mention unlimited black caviar).

I'm sure O management is well familiar with those numbers, but maybe they are not really interested in cheap guests like myself who book the cheaper cabins and don't spend much money on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Same is true for SS, and SS also includes one excursion in each port.

The huge difference between SS and Viking is that you don't get to choose the one free excursion on Viking (if you choose to use it). I haven't tried SS, but the options look very appealing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

The huge difference between SS and Viking is that you don't get to choose the one free excursion on Viking (if you choose to use it). I haven't tried SS, but the options look very appealing. 

you mean they just give you a single excursion in each port? No options to select from?

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

you mean they just give you a single excursion in each port? No options to select from?

Yes.

One can view the included V excursion in each port.

Find a cruise itin. -- open each day of itin. --  incl shorex is usually listed top left.  Open that shorex -- will give description. 

Works the same for all shorex, but no prices.  All possible shorex  arelisted for that itin., but one's actual booked cruise may not have all these shorex avail.  One cannot know which shorex are avail. for your cruise until shorex booking date opens. Pricing and times will then also show.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Exactly! And none of the excursions were what we would chose, so we still paid for an excursion in each port. 

31 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Yes.

One can view the included V excursion in each port.

Find a cruise itin. -- open each day of itin. --  incl shorex is usually listed top left.  Open that shorex -- will give description. 

Works the same for all shorex, but no prices.  All possible shorex  arelisted for that itin., but one's actual booked cruise may not have all these shorex avail.  One cannot know which shorex are avail. for your cruise until shorex booking date opens. Pricing and times will then also show.

Hope this helps.

That sucks..

It's very different with SS. You get selection of 5-7 included excursions that you can select from in each port. You can take more than one, and you pay for the second one, but the prices are very reasonable, usually under $100 USD.

Then you have 2-4 "selected" excursions that are extra cost, but also more unique. Those are extra cost and also more expensive.

• Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

That sucks..

It's very different with SS. You get selection of 5-7 included excursions that you can select from in each port. You can take more than one, and you pay for the second one, but the prices are very reasonable, usually under $100 USD.

Then you have 2-4 "selected" excursions that are extra cost, but also more unique. Those are extra cost and also more expensive.

It appears the SS shore exclusion policy is more similar to Regent than to Viking. 1 - 1 - 0 for those keeping score (SS, R, V). As for O’s new simplyMORE shorex OBC compared to Viking, I give the nod to O. Some choice is better than none. I also suspect the price paid to Viking for a walking or bus tour in each port is significantly higher (as built into the fares) than O’s new program will entail. 

Edited by Hanoj
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Exactly! And none of the excursions were what we would chose, so we still paid for an excursion in each port. 

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

We cruise on Viking next week from Bergen to Reykjavik. At three stops (Lofoten, Longyearben, and North Cape), the line offers multiple included tours on the same day in port. So the assertion that Viking “just gives you a single excursion in each port” is incorrect.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

We cruise on Viking next week from Bergen to Reykjavik. At three stops (Lofoten, Longyearben, and North Cape), the line offers multiple included tours on the same day in port. So the assertion that Viking “just gives you a single excursion in each port” is incorrect.

This seems to be more an exception than the rule. Viking has its strongest presence in the North Sea and has probably been able to leverage its influence into wider opportunities in this region. Perhaps, too, your cruise next week with more than one complimentary excursion to choose from in some ports is a harbinger.

• Like 1

Just now, Hanoj said:

This seems to be more an exception than the rule. Viking has its strongest presence in the North Sea and has probably been able to leverage its influence into wider opportunities in this region. Perhaps, too, your cruise next week with more than one complimentary excursion to choose from in some ports is a harbinger.

Or perhaps the assertion about a “single excursion in each port” was just flat wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJD117 said:

This must be fairly new. On multiple V cruises we have done, there has only been one included excursion in each port. Based on threads on Vikings board, i have not seen mention of this change. Depending on the port, it was a bus drive overview with maybe a couple photo ops, or walking tour. For us, those excursions were not what we would call past ‘entry level’ for lack of better word. I would  love to hear back from you with an update on this. Not saying it isn’t so, truly, and if true would sure be a step up from before. We sailed the North Sea with them in the past - all Viking pre C, and it was then only one choice in each port. And the ports were different than you list 

Edited by Vineyard View

17 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

This must be fairly new. On multiple V cruises we have done, there has only been one included excursion in each port. Based on threads on Vikings board, i have not seen mention of this change. Depending on the port, it was a bus drive overview with maybe a couple photo ops, or walking tour. For us, those excursions were not what we would call past ‘entry level’ for lack of better word. I would  love to hear back from you with an update on this. Not saying it isn’t so, truly, and if true would sure be a step up from before. We sailed the North Sea with them in the past - all Viking pre C, and it was then only one choice in each port. And the ports were different than you list 

This was exactly our experience, in one cruise around Iceland and one cruise in the Adriatic. Multiple tours are offered, but only the ones like you mentioned are free. That's the comparison to SS.

17 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

This was exactly our experience, in one cruise around Iceland and one cruise in the Adriatic. Multiple tours are offered, but only the ones like you mentioned are free. That's the comparison to SS.

I have not sailed SS. Ship excursions are not a go to for us. We prefer DIY or private (finding more difficult to find post C). So for us, lines that include them are not something that we gravitate towards now as the price is reflected in the ones that do include them. Conversely, it is a bonus for those that do. 

10 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I have not sailed SS. Ship excursions are not a go to for us. We prefer DIY or private (finding more difficult to find post C). So for us, lines that include them are not something that we gravitate towards now as the price is reflected in the ones that do include them. Conversely, it is a bonus for those that do. 

SS excursions are actually pretty good. Typical group size is around 25-30 people, and there is a wide selection. We did Safari by 4x4, fjord cruise, desert dune drive etc.

2 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I cannot see how they can offer just 1 excursion per port  with 900 pax

yes some will opt to pay for  tours they  want rather than a drive by or walking tour

Viking tries to operate the Ocean ships like their river cruises

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I cannot see how they can offer just 1 excursion per port  with 900 pax

yes some will opt to pay for  tours they  want rather than a drive by or walking tour

Viking tries to operate the Ocean ships like their river cruises

One excursion per port included with what you paid to cruise on Viking. Other excursions are available for a cost. 

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

One excursion per port included with what you paid to cruise on Viking. Other excursions are available for a cost. 

Sorry I should have said 1 FREE excursion

image.thumb.png.4c255f72971711b001ce857d12f4b535.png

image.thumb.png.31e623de980981095726e4d5cfd58057.png

image.thumb.png.26fc8783421680a563c4b4ceca044445.png

image.thumb.png.e928d606003cb1d184dc97ecb2ad3c08.png

4 random ports.

Looks pretty clear to me. One included (usually panoramic which is another name for a bus tour with couple photo stops), and the rest are extra cost.

3 hours ago, SJD117 said:

Is this semantics, or a real change?

On the current Viking Saturn sailing from Iceland to Bergen (which it appears you are boarding after it arrives in Bergen), the included (as in no extra charge) excursions are: Panoramic Lofoten, Highlights of Longyearbyen and Drive to North Cape. Each is offered multiple times during the port stop, but they are the same tour.

There are, of course, a variety of other tours in each port, all chargeable. 🍺🥌