Looking for greener grass….

PhD-iva

I have always appreciated O’s a la carte pricing model, although Regent can compare favorably when they offer a low single supplement. Regent’s all inclusive pricing is a trade off to me, given that without excursions bundled into the pricing, I would most likely do my own thing with shore excursions, but I appreciate the biz class airfare.

Given the potential for steep price hikes after 1 July, some of us will potentially be exploring “other options.” Any suggestions on which cruiselines are O’s nearest competitors? I also have to take into account single supplement pricing.
Thx to all!

• Like 3

We have sailed Viking several times. We very much enjoyed the experience, the ship design,  and the crew. We started looking elsewhere because their Mediterranean itineraries are the basically the same they have been for many years and we cannot find one the provides us with more than one or two new places to visit. I do not like their full payment in advance requirement. Usually 12-18 months unless you have another cruise booked with them, and then you can ask for 6 months. They have a loyal following as do most lines. 
We just sailed Seabourn for the first time and really enjoyed our journey with them. 
We are looking at an itinerary with Seabourn or Oceania next year. We have yet to sail Oceania. 
would we sail Viking again, yes if the right itinerary and if we decide to pay a premium price 12-18 months in advance. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We have sailed Viking several times. We very much enjoyed the experience, the ship design,  and the crew. We started looking elsewhere because their Mediterranean itineraries are the basically the same they have been for many years and we cannot find one the provides us with more than one or two new places to visit. I do not like their full payment in advance requirement. Usually 12-18 months unless you have another cruise booked with them, and then you can ask for 6 months. They have a loyal following as do most lines. 
We just sailed Seabourn for the first time and really enjoyed our journey with them. 
We are looking at an itinerary with Seabourn or Oceania next year. We have yet to sail Oceania. 
would we sail Viking again, yes if the right itinerary and if we decide to pay a premium price 12-18 months in advance. 

If you book Viking while on the ship, they will usually waive payment in full until 6 months before the cruise.

I looked at Viking as well, but their itineraries look very limited. For example, 9-11 nights in Mediterranean, there are only 2 itineraries. And the prices seem way too high, much higher than O.

We enjoyed SS. Prices are higher, but many times there are promotions, especially p2p. And they have amazing itineraries, better than O, with longer stays in ports and more overnights.

Azamara has some amazing itineraries if you are willing to ignore the older ships and tiny showers (this is why we prefer O class on Oceania). Also some good promotions.

Next year we are trying SB. Like SS, prices are typically higher, but select itineraries have prices that are pretty close to O current prices (and might be even lower after O hikes their prices).

To us, itinerary is number 1 factor, but we also need to have good food (as close as possible to O) and good service. I think all lines I mentioned fit the bill.

• Haha 1

@PhD-iva

We have only taken one cruise and it was on Riviera earlier this year.  However, I spent a lot of time researching and continue to read multiple cruise lines threads here on a regular basis.

Most importantly we need to understand that all of us are different, have different needs, wants, tastes,etc.  Second it seems important to note that even within cruise lines experiences can differ from ship to ship, cruise location to location and sometimes even on the same ship if for example the head chef changes.

When I was looking for the right cruise line for us I came to the conclusion that an O ship on Oceania using cruise only made the most sense for our first.  And we really enjoyed it. Was it perfect? No, was every bite of food spectacular?  No.  But overall we loved the size of the ship, food was generally very good, service was excellent across the board, newly refurbished ship looked great, beds are super comfy, people we met were, for the most part, very nice.  All in all we had a great cruise and we are set for another on Marina in late 2024.

While our cruise was a splurge for us ( it was the longest (10 days) and most expensive vacation (all in about $300 PPPD) we have taken). We felt we had value.  

I determined that Oceania was most likely the best value in cruising for us.  While it feels like cruising on a luxury line might have slightly better service (might) the price was for the most part significantly higher.  Similarly, while we could save money on other lines it seemed clear that our experience, for our tastes, would be best met on O.

Most of this value came because we don't drink and did not want to do shore excursions.  

When the new pricing is released we will make a determination if the pricing stays generally in line with what they have now for cruise only.  If we have to pay $250 more per person but get the $800 credit and beer and wine at lunch and dinner, We will probably stick with O.  If it gets more like $500 person or more, we will, like you, examine other options.

I think, from the research I have done ( with updates over the last week or so) that if we go elsewhere, it will not be to a single cruise line.  More likely, we will take it on a case by case basis (asking our TA for advice,) and making a decision based upon what we perceive as the value for a particular cruise.  After all, catching a great sale ( as O recently had) can make all the difference. We will unfortunately understand that we may not find a single line which is in our price range that ticks as many boxes for us as O does.   If money was no concern, certainly we would try each of the luxury lines but barring a great sale that fits our timing ( we still work,) my guess is we would try the usual suspects (Azamara, Celebrity, Viking,etc.). We might even find that we back away from cruising for a while.  

I can see you have tried regent and liked it, and that you often cruise as a single and have to pay a much higher price in most instances.  That may well determine what your options really are, unless you decide to truly open the pocket book. 

Whatever happens we will continue to be here to discuss options and hopefully someday share a cruise.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

What ship class do you like on O, the Vista/O-class ships or the smaller R ships?  That may be a factor on which other line is a close comparable.

Viking ships are similar to the O-class ships and the cruise line has included excursions and included beer and wine at lunch and dinner.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the old Crystal. Waiting for reviews before I book Crystal under the new ownership so I can see if it's up to the former quality. IMO, definitely an upgrade for O in quality and price.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Good topic. 

We are building loyalty with O. No other line will give us that. We have 10 cruises booked. After that, only if Os food take a drastic turn would we switch to another line.

After 50 years of cruising, I've come to the conclusion that "Loyalty" is a Holy Grail that's not worth pursuing or factoring into my decisions. I know some O regulars will disagree....

I've cruised with many different cruise lines (including some no longer existing). For those who do what I do (e.g.,  cruise with several different lines at any given point) and only cruise 1-2 times per year, it takes quite a while to build up any significant loyalty perks. And by the time you get there, the line may have changed, be defunct, or no longer offer the experience you liked when you first started with them.

I have the same issues as the OP at this point (solo traveler, want great itineraries, smaller ships and good food -- probably in that order), and I kind of agree with others that for now it may be best to take it on a cruise-by-cruise basis. 

I'm on Oceania and Azamara this year. I have not tried Viking. While I like the "idea" of their ocean cruises, I do not find their itineraries particularly compelling for one who has been to most of the "headline" destinations at least once already. I think Viking's model is mainly targeted to new, active retirees who haven't traveled much in the past and want a line that will offer a smoothly run experience and provide them with the "highlights" of each region. 

As a solo, I only occasionally find fares I can afford on SB, SS and Regent -- mainly with a 1-3 month horizon. In the past I could rarely take advantage of those but perhaps now that I'm retired I'll be able to travel more spontaneously and these "last minute" fares will open new opportunities.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

In another thread, @grifdoglover has suggested Viking to me (thx!).

Thoughts, anyone?

We've been on six Oceania cruises, two Viking cruises, and one Regent cruise. For our personalities and interests, the Viking shipboard experience is a notch up from Oceania's. Regent appeals to us for itineraries where we want to have more comprehensive assistance and guidance.

14 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

We've been on six Oceania cruises, two Viking cruises, and one Regent cruise. For our personalities and interests, the Viking shipboard experience is a notch up from Oceania's. Regent appeals to us for itineraries where we want to have more comprehensive assistance and guidance.

What did you enjoy more of the Viking shipboard experience?  Like hearing the pluses of different cruise lines...

I have sailed several times with Viking Ocean as well as Oceania. I have a number of Oceania cruises booked over the next two years.

Decided to try Azamara in December of 2024.  Since the regular veranda cabins are so small, decided to book a Club Continent Suite as a solo.  I am told that I will be disappointed and that may be correct.  But I like the variety of different lines.

• Like 2

I have not come across  another line that compares  to O for our wants/Needs

Azamara comes in  2nd for  similar perks  (we do not mind the smaller cabins)

Tried  Crystal  more inclusive  but did not care for the self serve buffet  or the evening  dining venues

Maybe New Crystal  would be worth looking  at if the price is right

We do not drink much so any line that includes drinks  is not really  on our radar  unless the itinerary & price  works for us

Have been looking at these lines but  a higher price point  than O

Viking Expedition ships

Scenic Eclipse

Atlas cruises

American Queen  Expedition & Ocean  cruises

Time will tell where we go  from Oceania 

JMO

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I have not come across  another line that compares  to O for our wants/Needs

Azamara comes in  2nd for  similar perks  (we do not mind the smaller cabins)

Tried  Crystal  more inclusive  but did not care for the self serve buffet  or the evening  dining venues

Maybe New Crystal  would be worth looking  at if the price is right

We do not drink much so any line that includes drinks  is not really  on our radar  unless the itinerary & price  works for us

Have been looking at these lines but  a higher price point  than O

Viking Expedition ships

Scenic Eclipse

Atlas cruises

American Queen  Expedition & Ocean  cruises

Time will tell where we go  from Oceania 

JMO

I think, other than mass mega ships, alcohol is usually included.....all of the lines you have mentioned already do...it is getting hard to find a smaller ship experience on an upper premium line that does not include some alcohol.  Part of the reason that O is moving in that direction.  Our decision will be based upon itinerary and pricing because some of the inclusions will not be of high value to us, so in the same boat as you.......

3 minutes ago, basor said:

I think, other than mass mega ships, alcohol is usually included.....all of the lines you have mentioned already do...it is getting hard to find a smaller ship experience on an upper premium line that does not include some alcohol.  Part of the reason that O is moving in that direction.  Our decision will be based upon itinerary and pricing because some of the inclusions will not be of high value to us, so in the same boat as you.......

I agree 

Alcohol included  DH will have a few more drinks   I will be face down in my mashed potatoes 😃

Being forced to pay for excursions we do not want is the big deal breaker 

Expedition ships may be worth the excursions  

still looking

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

One thing I dislike about Viking is the included excursions.  Of course, you are paying for them.  But the ones you pay for are very basic and you often end up having to purchase the better excursions--and often don't have time to do both because of time in port.  So you pay for something you don't use or you just limit yourself to a mediocre excursions.

If excursions are to be included, I would rather it be a flat amount (like the OLife credit currently available) that can be used or upgraded.

Edited by basenji56
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

One thing I dislike about Viking is the included excursions.  Of course, you are paying for them.  But the ones you pay for are very basic and you often end up having to purchase the better excursions--and often don't have time to do both because of time in port.  So you pay for something you don't use or you just limit yourself to a mediocre excursions.

If excursions are to be included, I would rather it be a flat amount (like the OLife credit currently available) that can be used or upgraded.

So just asking because I don't know but does Viking make the non complimentary excursions cheaper than other cruise lines.  They certainly make the drinks and drink packages cheaper than the other cruise lines.

Has anybody done an excursion comparison on pricing (on your own aside)?

Edited by zalusky

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

After 50 years of cruising, I've come to the conclusion that "Loyalty" is a Holy Grail that's not worth pursuing or factoring into my decisions. I know some O regulars will disagree....

I've cruised with many different cruise lines (including some no longer existing). For those who do what I do (e.g.,  cruise with several different lines at any given point) and only cruise 1-2 times per year, it takes quite a while to build up any significant loyalty perks. And by the time you get there, the line may have changed, be defunct, or no longer offer the experience you liked when you first started with them.

I have the same issues as the OP at this point (solo traveler, want great itineraries, smaller ships and good food -- probably in that order), and I kind of agree with others that for now it may be best to take it on a cruise-by-cruise basis. 

I'm on Oceania and Azamara this year. I have not tried Viking. While I like the "idea" of their ocean cruises, I do not find their itineraries particularly compelling for one who has been to most of the "headline" destinations at least once already. I think Viking's model is mainly targeted to new, active retirees who haven't traveled much in the past and want a line that will offer a smoothly run experience and provide them with the "highlights" of each region. 

As a solo, I only occasionally find fares I can afford on SB, SS and Regent -- mainly with a 1-3 month horizon. In the past I could rarely take advantage of those but perhaps now that I'm retired I'll be able to travel more spontaneously and these "last minute" fares will open new opportunities.

Yes we experienced that after over 50 cruises with celebrity...things changed and we could no longer sail C. But Celbrities loyalty program is NOTHING compared to O.

• Like 1

Just now, zalusky said:

So just asking because I don't know but does Viking make the non complimentary excursions cheaper than or cruise lines.  They certainly make the drinks and drink packages cheaper than the other cruise lines.

Has anybody done an excursion comparison on pricing (on your own aside)?

I don't believe the non-complimentary excursions are cheaper than Celebrity or Royal.  Not sure of other big ship excursion prices.  They may be cheaper than Oceania though.  I haven't done a comparison.

On Viking Neptune. Love the ship and crew. Had lots in common with my fellow passengers. The lecturers were top notch. Didn't care much for the included excursions. Italian speciality restaurant was in my option a few steps up from Oceania. MDR on Oceania was slightly better than Viking. I enjoyed the shows on Viking. One experience may not be typical. I've been on enough cruises to know that even a B2B on the same ship might be different.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 4