Looking for greener grass….

PhD-iva

11 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes we experienced that after over 50 cruises with celebrity...things changed and we could no longer sail C. But Celbrities loyalty program is NOTHING compared to O.

Been on over 100 Celebrity cruises and they've reduced their loyalty program especially for their most loyal passengers. They now require Aqua Class or higher to purchase AI which has less benefits than Zenith. That's why I question theSimply more program.

2 hours ago, Orator said:

I enjoyed the old Crystal. Waiting for reviews before I book Crystal under the new ownership so I can see if it's up to the former quality. IMO, definitely an upgrade for O in quality and price.

We enjoyed the old Crystal too. We found it a small step up compared to O, mainly in the entertainment and enrichment department (food was comparable in my opinion, service maybe slightly better).  

But the new Crystal prices are 50-70% higher than pre Covid. Yes, all prices went up, but not that much. Just cannot justify paying over $500 USD per night for a 205 sqft OV cabin on a 25 years old ship. SB have many sailings that are less, on a much bigger cabins and much newer ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

After 50 years of cruising, I've come to the conclusion that "Loyalty" is a Holy Grail that's not worth pursuing or factoring into my decisions. I know some O regulars will disagree....

Completely agree. Even with the better programs like O, the Loyalty is not worth more than 5-7% of the cruise fare. And what if after getting to 20 cruises and a free cruise prices are higher by 15-20% and the product is not the same?

I just like variety and don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. Itinerary comes first, then price, then ship. I believe that all small ships deliver excellent experience, the difference is in details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basor said:

The spa area or the spa offerings?

Have sailed V ocean twice.  Spa area is really best I've experienced ever. Great locker room, bubbler pool, rinse  shower -- fabulous.  Plus other very fine areas I didn't use -- cold water bucket, loungers, steam room, snow grotto, sauna & pool in locker room.  Liked the swimsuit spinner.  Great gym equip and lots of space there -- look out to sea.  No extra charge for any of above.  Didn't use salon/spa services, but wife had 1 treatment, no upsell, and reasonable priced.

Edited by FetaCheese
addl info
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Completely agree. Even with the better programs like O, the Loyalty is not worth more than 5-7% of the cruise fare. And what if after getting to 20 cruises and a free cruise prices are higher by 15-20% and the product is not the same?

I just like variety and don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. Itinerary comes first, then price, then ship. I believe that all small ships deliver excellent experience, the difference is in details.

It also depends on what sailing experiences you have had, where you have been and your stage in life.

We have experienced various lines, done over 60 cruises, been everywhere we  wished to go. Highlights being, Gallapagos, Norway, Dalmatian coast, Hawaii, Baltic etc.

Our focus is very different now, not itinerary driven, but food, the ambience, meeting people. So far this Oceania has done this for us more than any line and we hope it continues to do so.

There are times that we will not get off in some ports...there are other times that we will revisit the places we have been to before. Now rarely doing tours. Love to get a map, walk for hours, explore. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Viking's spa is wonderful.  

I agree! So much that I spent a few hours there every day of my cruise!

Loved the separate facilities for men and women and the community area in between was very enjoyable as well! And The Spinner to dry out trunks was great!

Heading out on Riviera Sept 26th for my first O cruise and very much looking forward to that!

Cheers

Edited by iramack

I did my first Atlas Ocean Voyage this past March in Antarctica.  The onboard experience was wonderful.   The ships are beautiful, the food was very good and service was excellent.  Atlas does have a limited number of solo rooms.  They are ocean view and 183 sq ft.  The bathrooms are bigger than the R ships and have walk in showers.  I will be curious to see how the new O pricing compares with Atlas.  Atlas also has some very nice Med. itineraries with long port days.  Their ships carry 200 guests and feel more like a yacht than a cruise ship.  I would cruise again with Atlas in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

So just asking because I don't know but does Viking make the non complimentary excursions cheaper than other cruise lines.  They certainly make the drinks and drink packages cheaper than the other cruise lines.

Has anybody done an excursion comparison on pricing (on your own aside)?

I did a fair bit of analysis about a year ago, as I was contrasting HAL, Viking and Oceania. My conclusion was that Viking's paid excursions were at the lower end of the "standard" cruise line markup - which we find to be about 2X - 2.5X DIY cost. I did not see evidence that their excursion costs offered  the same relatively low prices that the drinks did (as you observe, they are excellent value). 🍺🥌

Viking is probably the closest to O.  They do provide a decent product but in my opinion, O is superior.  Sure, Viking includes some wine and beer at meal times, but to me, it's barely drinkable aside from their own brand of sparkling wine.  And yes, they include some shore excursions -- but those are limited to panoramic types of tours and everything else has an additional fee.  You will also be charged gratuities and there is essentially no loyalty program aside from a minor $100-200 off future cruises.  Food on O is far superior in my opinion, not to say that there are not some good meals to be had on Viking.  My husband enjoyed the sushi in the buffet; however, the offerings were not as extensive as what one finds on O.  The pool area on Viking is nice and novel with a retracting glass roof.  During inclement weather, one can still sit out on the pool deck and watch the world go by (when sailing) with the roof closed.  On the downside, they sometimes forget to open the retractable roof when in warm weather and it turns the entire area into an oven.  Viking treats their passengers like adults, there are not constant reminders to do things (like pick up your passport from them).  The do not provide a visa service per se.  We've enjoyed having a Nespresso machine in our cabin when we sailed with them.  There's no happy hour with reduced pricing for drinks; however their cocktails tend to be less expensive than O's.  Pricing of the drinks is done differently though.  For instance, for a soda or soft drink on O, there's no charge.  On Viking, complimentary sodas are available in one's cabin but if you order one in the bar, you pay for it.  When they make a mixed drink that varies from what's listed in their menu, you pay for the components of the drink (e.g. Gin, $X plus Tonic, $X).  There's no showing of key cards at the bar.  They just ask for one's cabin number.  And there's nothing to sign; however, this gets them into trouble now and again because in our experience, after they told us that they remember customer's cabin numbers, we've discovered other passengers' drink tabs on our account.  It was quickly remedied with a trip to Guest Services but still.....   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will be sailing on our first Viking Ocean cruise this year so I cannot give a comparison to the cruise line.  It all depends upon what you like and what's important to you. 

For us, we have found lots of different options for cruises, but have limited experience on the lines post COVID shutdown. 

One option would be Windstar where you could choose the sail assisted ships, or the re-imagined old Seabourn ships.  The crew, the ability to sail into smaller ports, and the fabulous dining experience keep us interested in the line.  You can also choose the all-inclusive option but that does not include shore excursions.  The lack of entertainment onboard has not been an issue for us.  We are also fine with the small cabins on the sailing ships.

Another option is the New Crystal, but it is an unknown experience at this time.  It will start sailing soon, and I'm sure there will be lots of reviews from passengers and that could help you make a decision about the line.  From everything that I've read, the New Crystal is keeping a lot of the same things that made the Old Crystal a fabulous, IMO, line.  However, as others have stated, the cabins might not be to your liking.

We know many people who love to sail on Celebrity in the upper suites.  It's  different experience, according to them, than sailing in the regular cabins.  We sail Celebrity, but not in suites, and do not have experience in the suite dining rooms.   We have chosen Celebrity if we are sailing with extended family or some of our friends as it's a cruise line that offers a variety of options for different age groups as well as for people who choose to have more options available for days at sea.  When we sail on the line, we book almost all shore excursions privately as we prefer not to be in large groups and/or wait for the people who are late back to the bus or who have mistakenly taken an excursion that is way too difficult for them.  We do not expect a luxury onboard cruise experience, nor gourmet meals.

Our previous experiences sailing on Seabourn were very positive.  As I have not had a recent experience onboard, someone else would be better at providing you with more current information.

IMO, all of us can give you our opinions, but the only one that matters is your own opinion.  For me, I will not sail a ship where I have a set shared dining table.  I will not sail a ship where it's a "party cruise" for the majority of cruisers.  I will not sail any of the huge new ships that, IMO, are floating hotels.  Other than that, I choose the ship based on itinerary, who I am sailing with, and the onboard experience.  Of course, I always want to feel as if I'm getting good value for the money spent (somewhat difficult given our Canadian dollar 🙂).

Please post whatever cruise lines/cruises you choose and your experience(s).  Bon Voyage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonicTraveler said:

I did my first Atlas Ocean Voyage this past March in Antarctica.  The onboard experience was wonderful.   The ships are beautiful, the food was very good and service was excellent.  Atlas does have a limited number of solo rooms.  They are ocean view and 183 sq ft.  The bathrooms are bigger than the R ships and have walk in showers.  I will be curious to see how the new O pricing compares with Atlas.  Atlas also has some very nice Med. itineraries with long port days.  Their ships carry 200 guests and feel more like a yacht than a cruise ship.  I would cruise again with Atlas in a heartbeat.

Good to hear as the President is a very good friend of mine..I will forward your message to him with your permission..

Jancruz1

6 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Good to hear as the President is a very good friend of mine..I will forward your message to him with your permission..

Jancruz1

I know James, too.  He's a great guy and I've sent him my stellar review of my experience on Atlas. Thank you for the offer!

3 hours ago, TonicTraveler said:

How was the food compared to O?  Is it somewhat close or not even in the same hemisphere?  I looked at some YouTube videos and they seem to be buffet style for lunch and not sure what the dinners are like in terms of offerings?  Wondering if Atlas is worth splurge for Antarctica coming from people who sail and like O.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

9 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

How was the food compared to O?  Is it somewhat close or not even in the same hemisphere?  I looked at some YouTube videos and they seem to be buffet style for lunch and not sure what the dinners are like in terms of offerings?  Wondering if Atlas is worth splurge for Antarctica coming from people who sail and like O.

We sailed SB to Antarctica and thought it was wonderful for this type of cruise......we would not choose SB over O on other itineraries due to more upscale dress in evenings, food offerings in their "Terrace and Waves" and $$$

4 minutes ago, basor said:

We sailed SB to Antarctica and thought it was wonderful for this type of cruise......we would not choose SB over O on other itineraries due to more upscale dress in evenings, food offerings in their "Terrace and Waves" and $$$

My understanding is that SB dress code is very casual (unlike SS). They even allow jeans now at dinner. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, basenji56 said:

The spa area.  Pool, hot tubs, snow room, cold plunge pool.

Agree completely with this and what you said about Viking's excursions: we generally didn't go on the free ones. The thermal spa and snow room are worth multiple visits. How would you compare the O spa? November will be our first on O.

2 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Agree completely with this and what you said about Viking's excursions: we generally didn't go on the free ones. The thermal spa and snow room are worth multiple visits. How would you compare the O spa? November will be our first on O.

The O spa doesn’t compare with the Viking spa. 

42 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

My understanding is that SB dress code is very casual (unlike SS). They even allow jeans now at dinner. 

We were on a few years ago and 90% of the gentlemen were in coat and tie and ladies in nice dresses or upscale pants and tops from early evening and on....this was true in the bar areas, MDR and Thomas Keller.  The casual eating area (think Terrace) most people were wearing country club casual.  Only time we saw more casual clothes (jeans, etc.) was during the day when most had been out and about on excursions.  I am not sure what their dress code is but this is how people were dressed and this was on an expedition cruise.....they also still have formal nights where the above is required...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Depends on the restaurant.  The Restaurant has 1 formal night per week.   You can do casual (no shorts) in the Colonnade (equivalent to Terrace).

In fact to the OPs original post, I would recommend SB.  Why -- best itineraries than any cruise line.  Not 100% inclusive -- the shore excursions are not included unlike Regent, Viking or SS.  Not as formal as SS but more than Regent and Oceania. 

Lastly they do make it easy to find single fares

https://seabournsolotraveler.com/

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Depends on the restaurant.  The Restaurant has 1 formal night per week.   You can do casual (no shorts) in the Colonnade (equivalent to Terrace).

In fact to the OPs original post, I would recommend SB.  Why -- best itineraries than any cruise line.  Not 100% inclusive -- the shore excursions are not included unlike Regent, Viking or SS.  Not as formal as SS but more than Regent and Oceania. 

Lastly they do make it easy to find single fares

https://seabournsolotraveler.com/

Can you give some examples why SB itineraries are better than SS or Azamara, specifically in Europe?

8 hours ago, basor said:

What did you enjoy more of the Viking shipboard experience?  Like hearing the pluses of different cruise lines...

Along with the spa and other amenities already mentioned, we like the elegant  Scandinavian decor - no glitz - and spacious serene public areas that still provide plenty of cozier areas for conversation and relaxation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The SB of today does have formal nights (usually 1 or 2 a week.  On the formal nights, there is a pretty rigid dress code in the Restaurant, but those not wanting to comply can dine in the other dining venues.  There are always some interesting discussions on SB about SB vs SS and you can hear fans of both lines.  We would be happy on either line, but prefer SB because of its more fun atmosphere (block parties, caviar in the surf, deck parties, etc).  Even luxury lines can be fun as long as the cruisers are not too full of themselves. 

I am enjoying this thread and the friendly back and forth.  For us, the entire "loyalty" thing is ridiculous and not even a consideration when we book cruises (16 lines to date).  Even though we are in the top tier on muliple lines, the loyalty perks have never driven any of our cruise decisions.  Nearly 50 years of extensive cruising has taught us that there are things to like and not like about any line, be it a budget, mass market or luxury product.  When we think back over our post-COVID cruises they have been with MSC (Yacht Club), Seabourn, HAL, and Princess.  Our next 3 are with Explora Journeys, O and Princess.  All the variety makes it so much fun, the entertainment really varies, and the food options also vary between cruise lines.  Itineraries also matter, and limiting ones self to one or two cruise lines really limits itinerary options.  

Hank

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The SB of today does have formal nights (usually 1 or 2 a week.  On the formal nights, there is a pretty rigid dress code in the Restaurant, but those not wanting to comply can dine in the other dining venues.  There are always some interesting discussions on SB about SB vs SS and you can hear fans of both lines.  We would be happy on either line, but prefer SB because of its more fun atmosphere (block parties, caviar in the surf, deck parties, etc).  Even luxury lines can be fun as long as the cruisers are not too full of themselves. 

I am enjoying this thread and the friendly back and forth.  For us, the entire "loyalty" thing is ridiculous and not even a consideration when we book cruises (16 lines to date).  Even though we are in the top tier on muliple lines, the loyalty perks have never driven any of our cruise decisions.  Nearly 50 years of extensive cruising has taught us that there are things to like and not like about any line, be it a budget, mass market or luxury product.  When we think back over our post-COVID cruises they have been with MSC (Yacht Club), Seabourn, HAL, and Princess.  Our next 3 are with Explora Journeys, O and Princess.  All the variety makes it so much fun, the entertainment really varies, and the food options also vary between cruise lines.  Itineraries also matter, and limiting ones self to one or two cruise lines really limits itinerary options.  

Hank

We are trying SB next year, it should be fun.

The dress code on SS is really archaic, hopefully they will drop it at some point. I hear that even today it's enforced much less than previously.

And I agree about the loyalty programs. Variety is good. Loyalty is never really appreciated, and compared to the overall cruise cost, the perks are relatively small.

btw, Azamara was fun too. Azamazing night, white night, deck parties, officers dinners etc. And the atmosphere is much more lively than O. Less important on port intensive sailings, but still. 

• Like 1