hotel key charge

happytotravel

Hi,

My bill during 2 recent stays at the Comfort Inn Miami International Airport showed a charge of $2.00 each time for the hotel key because I didn't turn it in.  The front desk made no mention of this charge.  I didn't notice this until I got home.

I've never encountered this before.  I've contacted Choice Hotels for a refund and they are looking into it.

Have you noticed this at other hotels?

happytotravel

I always check out and turn in my keys.  I guess I am just too old school, but MANY hotel stays over the years have trained me to do this.  I always get a hard copy of my bill and closely check it out - easier to fix things when caught before leaving the property.

• Like 3

Thanks for your replies.  In the future I will know to turn in my key/cards.  I am usually more observant when it comes to bills but the first time I was trying to get to the cruise port and the 2nd time to the airport.  No excuse but that's what happened.

I will let you know if Choice Hotels reimburses me.

Take care, happytotravel

On 6/19/2023 at 8:44 AM, DaveOKC said:

I always check out and turn in my keys.  I guess I am just too old school, but MANY hotel stays over the years have trained me to do this.  I always get a hard copy of my bill and closely check it out - easier to fix things when caught before leaving the property.

Absolutely agree. We ALWAYS head to the front desk to check out and require a printed copy of our bill to confront any surprises at checkout. We don't want to have any surprise charges a week after we leave the hotel. We always hand in our hotel key card as well.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:50 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Always ask for a zero balance paper receipt when checking out of any hotel. Hand in keys at the same time.

$2 doesn’t sound excessive but on first reading I thought it said $20 which would be another story !

Hi,

I know $2.00 x 2 isn't the end of the world but I prefer it in my pocket than the hotel's.  If I can get reimbursed I'll be happy and if not at least I tried.  But in the future I will drop off my key/card at the desk.  

I stayed at a Comfort Inn in Dorval, Quebec in September 2022 and there was no charge for not dropping off the key. So, is this something in the US only?

Thank you all for your responses, happytotravel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just an update on my request for reimbursement of charges for not returning my key card at the Comfort Inn in Miami. Today I received a credit for my two separate stays. 

In the future I will return my card.

happytotravel

• Thanks 2