Onboard Marina Now

vlthom

This is what is written in Currents yesterday.

”Margaret hails from South Carolina and is a graduate of Clemson University.  Margaret taught 9th grade grammar and literature for several yers after graduation.  She left teaching in 1992 to pursue her love of theatre, starring in regional productions of comedies and musicals.  Performing at sea called in 1994 and she sang and I danced her way around the world, 132 countries and counting! She was offered the role of Cruise Director in 2014 and while she does move between brands, she always feels at home when with Oceania Cruises.  Margaret is honored to return to Oceania to celebrate the 20th anniversary year and she enjoys serving as Director of the Entertainment Department and mentor to the younger performers,.  Watch Currents! You may see her on stage to join the band for a song or two.”

Hope this helps.

Terri

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that someone asked about the artist in residence.  According to Currents, it is Frank Hyder.

Sea day today.  Wifi was not nearly as responsive today, but to be expected with everyone onboard.  Satellite TV channels not working well for part of the day.  Captain’s party this evening.  Very long days this far north.  Dinner tonight was in the Grand Dining room.  We found the service to be fine and dinner took around 90 minutes which is fine with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Terri,

Is the CD Margaret Lynn Scoggins?

Yes, I looked her up and that is her name, however she is only using Margaret Lynn on the ship. It seems she is on Regent quite often.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 1

Welp, we were supposed to get a mid-trip response card this evening but never got one, unfortunately. I’d have some comments.  

Called the butler about heavier blankets for the balcony use and he told me to call housekeeping, haven’t seen him at all today. Housekeeping didn’t return my call.  We went to tea around 4:15 today, had to ask 5 servers to get some hot water, finally a bar guy brought some to us. Went to a spa “ladies pampering party” (why weren’t men invited?) which was fine but they didn’t give any samples, to some peoples’ surprise. Dinner in Jacques was quite good, especially enjoyed a crab salad appetizer and Dover sole. Not getting offers to refill wine, or after dinner wine, not too big a deal, just that service thing.

In general I’m finding the food very good, the service quite less so. Maybe we have cooties but we haven’t had any especially friendly (not even considering effusive) waitstaff or really any staff engagement at all. I’m really wanting to love this line and it’s challenging.

Also a nitpick: salade nicoise at lunch had Kalamata olives, not nicoise! And dressing was tasteless, but even that took awhile to get after salad was delivered.  Like I said, service hasn’t been great.  Looking forward to hitting port tomorrow.

• Like 2

@Sujormik, If I may offer a suggestion.  It is time for you to ask to speak to the Food and Beverage Director since He/She owns all the people with whom you are having issues. We have had some pleasant conversations with the F&B in the past and I assure you, they will receive and respond to your message. This will beat the Mid Cruise survey for immediate action. 
After you have spoken to F&B, we are interested in hearing from you about your ensuing experiences.

Mauibabes 

• Like 3

Sorry, but if I had a butler tell ME to "call housekeeping", I would plaster on my biggest smile and say softly, "Thank you, I believe YOU can call housekeeping and have those blankets delivered shortly".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I would go to reception & ask for  a comment card & also a chat with the GM or concierge

If the Butler is  not doing his/her job  then time to speak up  & get a different Butler

JMO

• Like 3

On 6/21/2023 at 1:46 PM, vlthom said:

Dinner was in Red Ginger tonight just following happy hour in Martinis.  Happy Hour was not as well attended as I would expect, but perhaps it was because it was embarkation night. 

Could you please remind me what time is happy hour? (just booked some specialty dining for an upcoming cruise on Marina and trying to schedule appropriately).

1 hour ago, Ellwood56 said:

Could you please remind me what time is happy hour? (just booked some specialty dining for an upcoming cruise on Marina and trying to schedule appropriately).

Happy hour is from 6pm to 7pm.  There is also a late one from 10:30 to 11:30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Welp, we were supposed to get a mid-trip response card this evening but never got one, unfortunately. I’d have some comments.  

Called the butler about heavier blankets for the balcony use and he told me to call housekeeping, haven’t seen him at all today. Housekeeping didn’t return my call.  We went to tea around 4:15 today, had to ask 5 servers to get some hot water, finally a bar guy brought some to us. Went to a spa “ladies pampering party” (why weren’t men invited?) which was fine but they didn’t give any samples, to some peoples’ surprise. Dinner in Jacques was quite good, especially enjoyed a crab salad appetizer and Dover sole. Not getting offers to refill wine, or after dinner wine, not too big a deal, just that service thing.

In general I’m finding the food very good, the service quite less so. Maybe we have cooties but we haven’t had any especially friendly (not even considering effusive) waitstaff or really any staff engagement at all. I’m really wanting to love this line and it’s challenging.

Also a nitpick: salade nicoise at lunch had Kalamata olives, not nicoise! And dressing was tasteless, but even that took awhile to get after salad was delivered.  Like I said, service hasn’t been great.  Looking forward to hitting port tomorrow.

This could be due to staff being very busy, but I sometimes think they just don't bother if you have the package that includes wine with lunch and dinner, after all, money has already been collected (along with gratuity).  This may be viewed as cynical by some.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

As @LHT28 posted, the evening one is 5 to 6 pm, not 6 to 7 pm.

On the first night, happy hour was 6 to 7pm, as I stated.  Second night was Captain’s party so no HH.  Since then, it has indeed shifted to the normal. Time of 5 to 6pm.  My apologies….I had troubled getting online last night to make the correction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, BWV said:

Anyone on Marina now-which terminal/pier did you use in Kiel? We have family meeting us on July 14 (Marina), and they’d like to know. 

We arrive in Kiel this morning.  According to Currents, we’ll be docked at Ostseekai, Berth 28.

About to go ashore so not time now, but thinking I may actually call the F&B manager after all. Service last night in MDR was again abysmal. It seems like a training issue to us, not sure how they can fix that right now. Don’t want to be confrontational (much easier to whine online lol) but things just aren’t matching my expectations. Maybe I’ll feel better if I says something.

5 hours ago, vlthom said:

We arrive in Kiel this morning.  According to Currents, we’ll be docked at Ostseekai, Berth 28.

Thank you so much for the information!

19 hours ago, BWV said:

Anyone on Marina now-which terminal/pier did you use in Kiel? We have family meeting us on July 14 (Marina), and they’d like to know. 

Terminal 28.  However, there are two other ships in port.  Not sure that would always be the case.

We are finding service issues as well.  In GDR last night could not get someone to pour our wine.  Finally I got up to get it myself.  They all came running.  Guess they got the message.

So far we have not asked much of the Butler but he has been okay.

I understand that a lot of new crew has just come on board and it may be just a matter of getting settled and acclimated.  

• Thanks 1

Nobody has any info!   There was an announcement that there would be a rep from Kiel in the lobby until 1 pm if you wanted maps or info.  He was there.  No maps. He said that he ran out and we should go to guest services to get a map.  Lady at gs said we should go to the Kiel rep. Then she said they couldn’t copy a map because of copyright laws.  Yesterday  I got a copy of map of Skagen at gs.  Then she reluctantly found a map online and copied it.  Poor quality and completely useless.  I went online and found a street map.  
on my last cruise on Marina in Dec. 2022, the concierge would provide us with maps and info if we asked for it.  Concierge on this sailing said to go to gs.  It’s a 3 ring circus and everyone is clueless.  Before you leave home, print maps or put them on a device. Don’t rely on getting any info on the ship.  The rest of the cruise is very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terminal 28.  However, there are two other ships in port.  Not sure that would always be the case.

Thanks-we’ll give them this information but will say we won’t really know until we arrive 

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

.  Before you leave home, print maps or put them on a device. Don’t rely on getting any info on the ship. 

That is what we do  or order some from the Tourism dept  of the ports

• Like 1