CocoCay. Thrill Waterpark $170pp???

bmak246

9 hours ago, bigmoose7563 said:

On Black Friday we paid $54pp for our upcoming Sept cruise ... 

I accept that my "worth it meter" is set lower than other people's, but I'd think hard about whether to pay $54.  Do they add 18% gratuity to that cost?  

8 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I look at it by how else I could spend that money.  An annual pass to the nice nearby water park is cheaper.   If someone didn't live where there was outdoor water parks, there is probably a Great Wolf Lodge where they could spend the weekend for the same money.  

I look at it the same way.  $$$$ for a couple hours ... or all summer at a local water park?  I feel the same way about specialty dining onboard ... a step-up from the "included" food, or a meal out at home?  

6 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Here is the map for the Coco cay waterpark.  

image.png.cf21025bab970bd8294c89cf07d2eada.png

Where that map is located

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/perfect-day-cococay-map

Daredevils Peak is supposed to be super-duper tall, otherwise that looks *meh*.   
You can compare that with your local water park.   

Since you mention Florida, Universal's Volcano Bay includes a fast river and a water coaster both of are game-changers compared to the standard water slides.   It still has the standard lazy river and wave pool.  

While it is true that CocoCay is the only option that day.   Most people would have the option to go to another water park on another day and do it up right. 

Okay, so if you do each slide once, that's about $25 per slide.  Who thinks that's a good value?  

4 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

On the bright side, maybe at $179 there will be fewer people buying it so you can get through the shorter lines quicker...

I have heard that the lines can be long.  I find it hard to believe.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I accept that my "worth it meter" is set lower than other people's, but I'd think hard about whether to pay $54.  Do they add 18% gratuity to that cost?  

So this thread is about them now charging over $170 and you are worried about 18% on my $54? And why would they change grats? I’m sure people who want to buy now for their kids would kill for the $54

Been twice now, paid around $45 when it first re opened and $120 two months ago.

I don't like the prices creeping up but I think the waterpark is fantastic, I could laze in the wave pool all day. 

47 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Been twice now, paid around $45 when it first re opened and $120 two months ago.

I don't like the prices creeping up but I think the waterpark is fantastic, I could laze in the wave pool all day. 

You have the right idea. It is YOUR vacation and you value being in the wave pool all day. You enjoy it and weigh the experience against the cost point.

I can agree with almost everything said in this entire subject by all of the posters if I place myself in the posters' mindsets.

We all have a choice to pay or not to pay.  For whatever reason, RCI has set their price.

You get to vote with your Benjamins (or Pounds)!

🤔

• Like 2

My grandson, then 10, spend the entire day in the wave pool in between eating cheeseburgers & mozzarella sticks.  As we were leaving about 3, he looks at me & turns green.  Wonderful attendant said “right behind those bushes sweetheart.  We’ll clean it up.”  Then got him a wet towel & a cup of ginger ale to sip on.  Poor kid.  Of course 2 hours later he was stuffing his face again!  Ah to be young!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, bigmoose7563 said:

So this thread is about them now charging over $170 and you are worried about 18% on my $54? And why would they change grats? I’m sure people who want to buy now for their kids would kill for the $54

I think you misunderstood my post.  I'm saying I probably wouldn't be willing to pay even $54.  My thoughts were about the value of the visit to the water park -- not about you personally, and I'm certainly not "worried" about the tax -- just pointing out that potential buyers should add that into their budget.  

11 hours ago, poocher said:

My grandson, then 10, spend the entire day in the wave pool in between eating cheeseburgers & mozzarella sticks.  As we were leaving about 3, he looks at me & turns green.  Wonderful attendant said “right behind those bushes sweetheart.  We’ll clean it up.”  Then got him a wet towel & a cup of ginger ale to sip on.  Poor kid.  Of course 2 hours later he was stuffing his face again!  Ah to be young!

I'm sure they deal with this on a regular basis.  Sounds like they took good care of him.

• Like 1

We are taking our then 4 & 5 year old grand kids on their first cruise next February. (It will also be our first cruise on Royal in a long time and never on a ship that big.) I'm assuming there is enough fun stuff for them to do at Coco Cay w/o having to pay extra for the water park??  I'm assuming they will be too little for that anyway.  

On 6/22/2023 at 8:41 AM, crewsweeper said:

"Captured audience".  Monopoly pricing.  Econ 101.

Disney, Universal and SeaWorld are near by competitors thus a bit lower on certain "common" venues.

I'm pretty sure the only competitor they have is the Caribbean itself. And it is FREE wet. 

1 hour ago, Softball20 said:

We are taking our then 4 & 5 year old grand kids on their first cruise next February. (It will also be our first cruise on Royal in a long time and never on a ship that big.) I'm assuming there is enough fun stuff for them to do at Coco Cay w/o having to pay extra for the water park??  I'm assuming they will be too little for that anyway.  

SO many free activities available on the island for that age group. Do not pay for the water park at that age. When they hit the 12 to 15 year brackets, the water park might be more appropriate. Someone has to supervise them for safety until then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I'm pretty sure the only competitor they have is the Caribbean itself. And it is FREE wet. 

On South Beach, I saw age groups from 11 to 50 huffing and puffing playing volleyball on a sunny sand filled court. I had so much fun just watching them have a good time. I was almost tempted to try and be a "weekend warrior" but my common sense prevailed. In those types of games, my body tries to cash checks that have been bounced a few times. The game is free but the visit to my chiropractor and physical therapist two week later will make it an expensive ego trip.

😬

• 5 months later...

CoCo Cay is a stop on a few of our cruises.  We've been there twice and we purchased it for the last time for our upcoming cruise.  Our kids aren't big beach people and we'll be on Odyssey (without slides) so it's a fun day for them for something they can't do on the ship.  Having said that, the price hit our limit but we bought it on Black Friday last year so when it was 50% off.  Going forward though, unless prices come down to what it used to be, they will enjoy the big pool and a bit of beach time.  It is a fun place for them though. (For DH and I, we go in the wave pool but not the slides but don't mind sitting in the area).

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 7:08 PM, Softball20 said:

The Thrill Park is absolutely not for your grandkids.  It's for teens and up.  

What they will love (aside from the ocean, which is pretty obvious) is the pirate ship playground -- it's dead-ahead of the entrance, so you can't miss it, and it's no-cost.  

Image:  galleon-1000.jpg 

• Like 1

That's perfect and pretty much what we concluded, too. Thanks! They are going to have a blast!  We are doing our family Christmas gathering this weekend, and I can't wait to let them know about the trip!

Edited by Softball20
Changed text