Royal Genie

We are fortunate to have a Royal Genie on an upcoming cruise.  Can we wait until cruise day to make specialty dining reservation, or will it be necessary to book before the cruise.  

Rollie

14 minutes ago, rollie said:

We are fortunate to have a Royal Genie on an upcoming cruise.  Can we wait until cruise day to make specialty dining reservation, or will it be necessary to book before the cruise.  

Rollie

For most of the restaurants, zero problem and the genie will probably suggest a schedule ahead of time.  They usually email you 2-4 weeks out and include a suggested schedule (meals and shows).  Then you email them with changes you want.  

Nowadays they don’t guarantee a time or

spot for chefs table or Izumi as I recall.  So some book those ahead at the exact times they want and get refunded (which only comes in onboard credits-that is the downside).  But if your flexible on day and times, the genie will probably get you in all of those.  They did for us and we didn’t book anything ahead.  I’m sure it varies week to week.  Chefs table was nice, but nothing I’d sweat missing.  Long dinner and good, but nothing spectacular.  One and done for us.  Last star class cruise we skipped it and did the others instead.  Izumi hibachi is fun and different, but it is more for the experience.  

Fyi.  You can message your genie the same day on the cruise and tell them you want to make a switch of a reservation.  It will be accommodated 99% of the time.  
You really won’t need to worry about much.  Just relax and enjoy.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Just curious... why do you need a Royal Genie to make a speecialty dining reservation?

You don't.  Until you do.  The Genie can usually get you into a specialty restaurant even when the restaurant is otherwise, "full".   The biggest advantage of the Genie is the ability to make last-minute changes that would otherwise result in being turned away for the date and time you want. 

• Like 4

Before your cruise you'll get an email from your genie. They asked what time was our preferred dining times.  You may tell them where you would like to eat or they will make a schedule for you with suggestions which you may alter. If you go by their schedule virtually no speciality restaurant will be left out I can tell you! Nor any activity.  On Harmony we were asked to make our Izumi Hibachi reservations but on Oasis this was twice done for us.

What ship will you be on? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Before your cruise you'll get an email from your genie. They asked what time was our preferred dining times.  You may tell them where you would like to eat or they will make a schedule for you with suggestions which you may alter. If you go by their schedule virtually no speciality restaurant will be left out I can tell you! Nor any activity.  On Harmony we were asked to make our Izumi Hibachi reservations but on Oasis this was twice done for us.

We’re sailing on the Symphony of the Seas. 

Rollie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

Just curious... why do you need a Royal Genie to make a speecialty dining reservation?

Because you can pick whatever time you want without a worry and wait until onboard to do so if you want.  Need isn’t the right word.  Want would be the appropriate word.  

If you have a Genie it means you are typically in one of the top 10 or so most expensive cabins on board and they treat you as such.  He or she will literally be able to do just about anything you want within reason when you want.  Chops only has 9pm but you want to go at 630--likely no issue.  Mama Mia (or whatever show is on Symphony) not available to reserve- you will have front row seats. Want a glass of Pinot Grigio at 4:23 🙂 every afternoon--it will be in your stateroom.

For us the best part is the private embarkation and debarkation -Genies have special passes to make elevators express and they will bring you to and from your stateroom without waiting.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 7:28 PM, rollie said:

Rollie

I am just off the Anthem in Star Class (our first time sailing on RCCL).  Don’t sweat it.  Let your genie handle it.  They will plan your dinner’s and show times.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 1:28 PM, rollie said:

Rollie

Like you we are fortunate to have a Royal Genie on an upcoming cruise and also will be on the Symphony. Cruise Critic is an excellent source of information for your cruise but I have found another good source for information is the facebook site "Royal Carribean-Star Class Cruisers" you will have to request to join with your name and date of cruise but once in most of your future Genie questions will be answered in addition to copies of the questionare your Genie will send to you in advance of the cruise.

Edited by cruisinelmo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

I am just off the Anthem in Star Class (our first time sailing on RCCL).  Don’t sweat it.  Let your genie handle it.  They will plan your dinner’s and show times.  

Thanks for the information.  We will check it out. 

Rollie

Also - if you book in advance you have to pay up front (for something that's included in your fare, which kinda sucks) and it can be a hassle getting a refund - although the genie would typically handle that part too.

Genie's have tables held in each restaurant so they can get their suite guests in to the restaurants as it's generally assumed these guests won't eat in the MDR or the jammer for most (if not all) meals.

• 1 month later...

You can wait, but if you have an idea of what you want, your genie

On 6/26/2023 at 1:36 PM, Djsmrs said:

Also - if you book in advance you have to pay up front (for something that's included in your fare, which kinda sucks) and it can be a hassle getting a refund - although the genie would typically handle that part too.

Genie's have tables held in each restaurant so they can get their suite guests in to the restaurants as it's generally assumed these guests won't eat in the MDR or the jammer for most (if not all) meals.

Unless things have changed, if you have a genie, your specialty meals are already included your cruise fare.

We've waited to make reservations until we got on the ship on one cruise, and we worked out our plans with the genie in advance on another.  Both times, we got what we wanted.  It is good to let the genie know if you like eating specific times or if you have likes or dislikes.  Part of their job is to set up an itinerary for you in advance, but if you really prefer to wait to the last minute, you can do it.   

The thing I didn't expect was for them to think about things you never considered. Do you want specific snacks in the afternoon?  Do you want to set up a party? Do you want coffee and pastry - or a complete breakfast - delivered every morning? What do you want your fridge stocked with?  

Get ready to be spoiled!

• Like 1

I will never get a chance to do royal genie since my ex wife stole my life savings.  

I was going to do royal genie one time to experience but now cannot. I will live vicariously through everyone on here.

Is royal genie worth it for the money? If I had gotten to do it?

Honestly - we've been blessed to cruise with a genie on four cruises - and the way the prices are going we're booking with some other cruise lines for similar experiences for less than half the price.   Our days with royal, sadly, I fear, are numbered.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, chill6x6 said:

Exactly!

On the first email from the Genie (2-4 weeks out) is when I always tell the Genie that we want to experience all the Specialty Restaurants and some (Chops and Hibachi, no sushi though) twice.  I tell him/her, I don't care when, no preference as to timing other than I don't want to be scheduled to be rushed to the next scheduled activity (theater).  I feel the first email from and to the Genie is the most important.  That's the time to list all preferences and desires.  Including what you expect to find in your suite when you first arrive (cheesecake, ice cream sundae bar, cold cut plate, veggie plate, brand(s) of beer, cookie plate(s), and so on).  And what you want to be replenished in your room daily.

As I always say, don't be afraid to ask, they are in the business to say yes.  But, if they can't, they will try to compromise with you.  I've never had that problem, though. 

• Like 1