Celebrity Silhouette 17/6 Mini review - The good, the bad and the overcrowded.

debsjc

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

No problem with honest reviews just a couple of "factual" points:

Internet: your basic internet did exactly what was described I.e. basic. Our one experience of Princess's was it worked better and faster but shut down almost totally of 3 days Transatlsntic and that has never happened on X

Water: the canned water was introduced as part of X's commitment to stop using "one time plastic". It is still Spring Water not just filtered and the cans are clearly labelled. 

Any Time Dining: your experience was disappointing and, provided we have pre-booked, is something we have never experienced on Silhouette. 2 hours is the time alloted for a meal we book for 6.30 and aim to leave by 8.15 always at a sharing table 

Regarding the internet, i wasn't expecting to able to stream videos, just look up google maps, and tourist info websites on my laptop. I think it's below basic, if it doesn't work on a laptop at all. 

I understand about the plastic, that's a good point. However you have to ensure it's a reasonable product. and that water tastes awful. I preferred the water from the dispensers in the cafe. Also in Europe particularly people drink sparkling water a lot, more than still with meals, so people expect there to be an option for that. (Soda water is not the same) One solution would be for the classic beverage package to specify 'Still Filtered Bottled Water' so it's less misleading. 

The included water on X is the worst we have ever tasted.  It is even worse than the carafe of  room temp tea  they used to leave in AQ Class staterooms. it just sat there..no refresh so we dumped it.

. With the Classic Package or AQ ( not sure its daily or welcome water these days),  we are not getting the benefit of included water but have accepted it is not going to change 

We bring a  small pack of decent spring water along with us,  and supplement with the  extra charge  upgraded water as we go along.vWe can sometimes grab a few btls in ports to bring on board..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

Regarding the internet, i wasn't expecting to able to stream videos, just look up google maps, and tourist info websites on my laptop. I think it's below basic, if it doesn't work on a laptop at all. 

I understand about the plastic, that's a good point. However you have to ensure it's a reasonable product. and that water tastes awful. I preferred the water from the dispensers in the cafe. Also in Europe particularly people drink sparkling water a lot, more than still with meals, so people expect there to be an option for that. (Soda water is not the same) One solution would be for the classic beverage package to specify 'Still Filtered Bottled Water' so it's less misleading. 

The water in the Classic package is clearly shown as "non premium" and it is Spring Water bottled at source. The Premium Package lists the water by name.

Opening the bottle and popping it in the fridge removes the metal taste.

As you said the ships water is perfectly good - should be as it's used in every kitchen, ever jug on the tables, all the ice and in every bar ( not to mention the sinks and toilets).

Sorry the basic internet wasn't what you expected but presumably you chose not to: 

A) visit the I lounge to see if anything could be done - other passengers have had success doing that.

B) upgrade to the Premium.

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The water in the Classic package is clearly shown as "non premium" and it is Spring Water bottled at source. The Premium Package lists the water by name.

Opening the bottle and popping it in the fridge removes the metal taste.

As you said the ships water is perfectly good - should be as it's used in every kitchen, ever jug on the tables, all the ice and in every bar ( not to mention the sinks and toilets).

Sorry the basic internet wasn't what you expected but presumably you chose not to: 

A) visit the I lounge to see if anything could be done - other passengers have had success doing that.

B) upgrade to the Premium.

It is shown as non premium, but it not shown as still. You have even mentioned that  one needs to open the bottle and but it in the fridge to remove the metallic taste,...... not realistic in the OVC!
As I mentioned before the brand is not the issue

It's not that the basic internet wasn't what I expected, it was about it not being fit for purpose. 

Celebrity have to to be transparent with what they are providing, 

1 minute ago, debsjc said:

It is shown as non premium, but it not shown as still. You have even mentioned that  one needs to open the bottle and but it in the fridge to remove the metallic taste,...... not realistic in the OVC!
As I mentioned before the brand is not the issue

It's not that the basic internet wasn't what I expected, it was about it not being fit for purpose. 

Celebrity have to to be transparent with what they are providing, 

I think we will have to agree to differ.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, debsjc said:

It's not that the basic internet wasn't what I expected, it was about it not being fit for purpose

At least it worked , we were on a TA on Infinity in 2013 and there was a notice in the iLounge apologising for lack of Internet ‘due to Satellite problems.’

But we also noticed we had the same problem on Azamara in 2016, so put it down to being in the Atlantic.

I think since then Celebrity have upgraded their systems.

16 hours ago, hampshirelad said:

Anyone got feedback on MSC Yacht Club. I can plug my ears to  block out hearing the same thing in 20 different languages

We’ve sailed YC a number of times. Have never been disappointed and the price undercuts Retreat and NCL Haven by a lot!

The language thing didn’t occur on our US sailings. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, debsjc said:

Did you make a list of what websites worked and what didn’t?

I prefer soda water over San Pelegríno that I had to drink in Italy.

Do you know where the cafe water comes from?  How it is made?

We were on the same sailing but on fixed late dining no problems with waiting for table or service both were excellent the food was not cold where we were sat, there was a queue on the first night but once we knew table location if we went just after 8.30 straight in.

Bars were busy but we are not big drinkers and mainly had drinks at dinner table, no problem with table service for drinks in main dining. 

Wi-Fi was dreadful. Could not send or receive pictures only basic texts or emails.I did go to I lounge but did not upgrade as we could use inclusive data on phones whilst in port so did not bother.

It was our 6th cruise with celebrity and though the food was good, not as good as pre covid. A few items on menu not actually as described e.g. Pasta with  scampishrimp only

had 3 prawns no scampi, cod and clams, no clams. Roast potatoes was one single potato and hassleback potatoes were roast potatoes. We often asked for extra potatoes which we received no problem,we prefer table service to the buffet but lunch in the buffet was good with plenty of choice.

Sushi on 5 was excellent. We were not impressed with the Crown grill on Princess. The only speciality restaurants we visited on the last two cruises.

Overall we found Celebrity to be slightly better than Princess with regards to food both in buffet and main dining.

Both ships were equally crowded.

The medallion app on Princess was far superior as was the internet.

Both comparison are on post covid cruises, not disagreeing with op but wanted to show our point of view as well particularly with regards to main dining room.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Did you make a list of what websites worked and what didn’t?

I prefer soda water over San Pelegríno that I had to drink in Italy.

Do you know where the cafe water comes from?  How it is made?

On my laptop nothing worked, except BBC weather and Gmail, and even they took about 3 minutes a page to load. On my phone it was better (as obviously phones use less data) 

We were also on this cruise and have to disagree about the lack of drinks servers. We never actually sat around the pool but on deck 14 was surprised to see more than on previous cruises. The pool deck was as usual blocked by chair hogs. On the last sea day there were towels down on all the beds by 8am! 

We had anytime dining at 6:45 every evening which went smoothly with no queing. We did see long lines after 7:30 however.

It appeared to have been a full ship and some bars and Cafe al Bacio were very busy but never once did we give up and return to the cabin. 

Crew were fantastic and it was a very enjoyable cruise. 

• Like 1