Grandeur of the Seas. Fourth of July in a GS in the Caribbean

I haven't been on the Grandeur since my sailing December 26, 2021 out of Barbados.  I was on Deck 3, inside, on a Covid floor.  Everyone remembers those, right?  And if you sailed out of Barbados you had to get a specific test.  Those were the days.  

Fast forward to 18 months later.  The Grandeur is now out of Tampa.  Our cruise is to Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize.  I have not been to Belize since 2009 so I am pretty excited.

As everyone probably knows by now there's been some issues with flights.  We had a nonstop scheduled via Southwest today at 920am to arrive at 1205pm and ship scheduled to leave at 4.  No we don't have travel insurance.  No I didn't schedule the flights.  No we don't use travel agents.  Yes, we actually arrived 19 minutes early at Tampa.  For the last 96 hours I have been hardly speaking to my husband who scheduled the flights.  But all went well.  The gods were kind to us.

The Tampa airport was pretty busy.  The ride share area was a zoo.  We decided to just get a cab.  No line and we zipped right over to Terminal 2.  

Since we are in a GS, we headed over to the suite/Pinnacle line at 1pm.  Luckily by the time we boarded, we were able to go right to our room, unpack the carryons and backpacks, and head over to Chops for our 130pm lunch.  This is why I really prefer boarding at 1pm.  I despise the Windjammer on Embarkation day.  People look deranged and miserable.  I don't normally like Chops but will gladly sit in peace and quiet to avoid the swarm.  I had a delicious wedge salad and a burger.  Both were pretty good.  

Went back to room to nap a bit as I had been up early.  Then unpacked big suitcases and headed up to the gym.  Interesting experience.  Quite a few pre teenagers in gym, some in wet bathing suits, others in tank tops, shorts, and sneakers.  I was on the elliptical and 2 of the kids asked me how to use it.  Now they were polite but I knew they didn't belong there.  I said hey guys, you really aren't supposed to be in here without your parents.  I don't want you to get in trouble so I think you guys may want to come back with an adult who can help you.  Diplomatic and it worked.  They were surprised and apologized to me.  I said no problem guys.  Have a fun week!

Decided to head up to the Suite/Concierge Lounge.  My husband and I were amused when after using our cards to get in, the hall monitor came over to us asking to see our cards and told us this lounge was for suites and pinnacles.  We ignored her and kept talking to each other and laughing.   Wifi signal is terrific up in the Suite lounge.  I also remember it being good in the Diamond lounge as well.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

unfortunately one of the ship excursions we booked in Belize was cancelled due to inclement weather.  Small group to Hol Chan snorkeling.  The Shore excursion desk offered a 15% discount on another excursion so we are now doing sharks, rays and snorkeling at caye Caulker.  Only reason I'm doing this is the direct boat from ship to Caye Caulker.  No tendering.  Plus I have a feeling this one may not be as crowded as its expensive and a long boat ride which people hate.  At least I'm hoping....🙂

• Like 2

Day 2.  Interesting about our GS compared to the Voyager GS.  This one definitely has a smaller bathroom at least IMO.  But hey it's 1000x better than the 3rd floor inside from last time!  We were given 4 bottles of water, a plate of fruit and a large bottle of sparkling water on arrival. 2 padded Lounge chairs plus 2 chairs and a table on the balcony.  We are beneath the WJ and hear nothing.  Met the suite concierge last night who knew when we arrived, where we ate lunch, the towels we wanted for the balcony Lounge chairs and that I like the elliptical at the gym!  I was shocked.  

Since the clocks were put back 1 hr last night and ship app did not update, I ended up jogging this am on the outside track and then finishing when gym opened at 6.  Others were confused like me and gym was busy this am but all was good.  The usual suspects were there who have no clue of how to work out and truthfully shouldn't start on vacation.  Flip flops, slippers, pjs, bathing suit are not exactly workout clothing.  Drives me nuts when I see this because these people tie up machines unnecessarily.  The Grandeur outside track is actually really nice to walk on.  I've done it previously and wanted to mention it again.

I did try the Chops Suite breakfast but it opened at 8 and I just wanted a light bowl of cereal and coffee because we have Giovannis for lunch.  So we headed to WJ which as usual was a zoo but we found seats.  Then headed up to suite lounge for coffee.  I am currently here.  I plan on exploring around ship later trying some new activities, and just enjoying being onboard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

The Grandeur outside track is actually really nice to walk on.  I've done it previously and wanted to mention it again

That is interesting to me that you like the track.  We were on the Grandeur last year for 3 cruises and will be again in August and that is the one thing that we don’t like on the Grandeur.  So many laps(I believe 8)just to get a mile in.

Edited by Tlbecker1

1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

That is interesting to me that you like the track.  We were on the Grandeur last year for 3 cruises and will be again in August and that is the one thing that we don’t like on the Grandeur.  So many laps(I believe 8)just to get a mile in.

Probably because I go on really early normally.  I did the same early am time on the Oasis class and had no company.

Looks like our suite is getting a 1x a day cleaning as its now 1140 and I ended up making the bed.  The horror!!!  I was actually surprised as I thought suites weren't affected by the 1x a day cleaning plus I definitely saw room stewards cleaning suites this am on my way back to my room.  I'll check later.

Tried a couple of new drinks last night in suite lounge and this morning - cool as a cucumber and a drink my husband went up to get me with lime juice, vodka and ginger beer.  Both delicious and effective in causing a pleasant buzz.

18 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Decided to head up to the Suite/Concierge Lounge.  My husband and I were amused when after using our cards to get in, the hall monitor came over to us asking to see our cards and told us this lounge was for suites and pinnacles.  We ignored her and kept talking to each other and laughing.   Wifi signal is terrific up in the Suite lounge.  I also remember it being good in the Diamond lounge as well.  

If the “hall monitor” was another passenger you showed good restraint. If it was a staff, they are just doing their job. 

I’m anxious to hear more as we are boarding in a few weeks. 

Hope you enjoy the cruise. 
m

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If the “hall monitor” was another passenger you showed good restraint. If it was a staff, they are just doing their job. 

I’m anxious to hear more as we are boarding in a few weeks. 

Hope you enjoy the cruise. 
m

Unfortunately another passenger.  😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We luckily had reservations at Giovannis for lunch at 1245.  Done at 215.  It was good but slow.  Took at walk up to the WJ for soft serve as we declined our desserts at the slow moving Giovannis.  Lines for lunch at this time were out the door on both sides JUST to get in!!  Pool area was crowded and hot.  Solarium pool had at least 30 people in it including kids.  We quickly escaped back to our room.  Which luckily was tidied by our room attendant.

• Like 1

Also wanted to mention I do have the 3 class pass for the gym on this sailing.  I did speak with the Fitness head today as I did not see any sign up sheets.  The area for classes is really small and open so I plan to attend any afternoon or port day morning classes.  I have to be careful as I just injured an area under my right rib last week doing Hot Yoga.  Only time it bothers me is when I lie on my stomach so I figure spin or standing yoga will work.  He basically said it will probably be 1:1 classes so as long as no sales push, I'll be fine.  I think if these classes were offered at 630, people would go.  It's tough doing breakfast then go to 9am spin.

• Like 1

Made it to the Crown and Anchor event.  I didn't win a hat.  Or a bottle of wine.  Oh well.  10 pinnacles.  38 Diamonds and I think 28 D+.  Ship is completely packed.  At least 50 people at trivia.  Noticed a lot of 20 somethings onboard which is good as well as a lot of kids. 

Asked the captain if there would be fireworks onboard for the 4th.  No.  A balloon drop in the atrium and the Boston fireworks show will be aired on the pool screen.  

23 hours ago, jean87510 said:

unfortunately one of the ship excursions we booked in Belize was cancelled due to inclement weather.  Small group to Hol Chan snorkeling.  The Shore excursion desk offered a 15% discount on another excursion so we are now doing sharks, rays and snorkeling at caye Caulker.  Only reason I'm doing this is the direct boat from ship to Caye Caulker.  No tendering.  Plus I have a feeling this one may not be as crowded as its expensive and a long boat ride which people hate.  At least I'm hoping....🙂

Several years  ago, we walked outside of the gates, went to the public boat taxi, and took a boat to Cay Caulker. It was fantastic there. I would love to go back, but not willing to trust the boat taxi again. I will look into the ship excursion. 

m

Suites get twice a day cleaning.

Also, I have never in 15 years of cruising on Royal (GS, first using CL then, D and above for DL) heard or seen anyone take it on themselves to question anyone coming into the lounge.  

Made it to the Crown and Anchor event.  I didn't win a hat.  Or a bottle of wine.  Oh well.  10 pinnacles.  38 Diamonds and I think 28 D+.  Ship is completely packed.  At least 50 people at trivia.  Noticed a lot of 20 somethings onboard which is good as well as a lot of kids. 

Asked the captain if there would be fireworks onboard for the 4th.  No.  A balloon drop in the atrium and the Boston fireworks show will be aired on the pool screen.  

They were giving out things at the C&A event (I assume top tier event is what you mean)?   10 Pinns, 38 D and 28D+ is a very low number of D and above.

13 minutes ago, BND said:

They were giving out things at the C&A event (I assume top tier event is what you mean)?   10 Pinns, 38 D and 28D+ is a very low number of D and above.

Not a popular ship I guess, reason for the low numbers.

8 hours ago, BND said:

Yes.  They called it the top tier event.  They had a slide show with the pinnacles getting top.honors.  It really is an event for pinnacles.  It was well attended as platinum and emerald were there as well.  About 50 people. No food.  Just the mimosas and champagne.

8 hours ago, BND said:

Suites get twice a day cleaning.

Also, I have never in 15 years of cruising on Royal (GS, first using CL then, D and above for DL) heard or seen anyone take it on themselves to question anyone coming into the lounge.  

It's my 2nd time in. Ive been questioned in both suite and diamond lounges.  It really didn't make sense as how could I get in without my card?  I think it's because we wear nice shorts for husband and capris for me.   Suites are sharing lounge with pinnacles.  

I did comment our suite attendant came back to clean.  He was in 2x.  

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Several years  ago, we walked outside of the gates, went to the public boat taxi, and took a boat to Cay Caulker. It was fantastic there. I would love to go back, but not willing to trust the boat taxi again. I will look into the ship excursion. 

m

I'll definitely post how it is.  I'm really not happy about a possible ship excursion but want to maximize time in the area and avoid 2 boats as opposed to 1.  The ruins in Kohunlich and dzibanche in Costa Maya I have to do via the ship because of the time.  Native Choice will not take you to both off a cruise ship.

Day 3 early morning on the way into Cozumel.  Last night we decided to head to the WJ to get salads and some soft serve for my husband.  We looked at the show which was a "Broadway production" and decided to head back to cabin and watch episodes 3 and 4 of the Undoing on MAX.  Streaming has been pretty good onboard especially in our cabin.  Haven't had any issues.  

Our plans are to pick up our car from Fiesta and visit Buccanos, Chen Rio, Sky Reef or Money Bar then the Tikila Bar to find the underwater statues.  My husband free dives so he will probably be able to see the statues better than me.  Unfortunately we forgot our cooler so we are going to be using our water bottles only and buying water when needed to replenish.  We are in port 7a until 530pm.  We have been to Cozumel many times but always find something new to do.  We don't like sitting all day with an AI and if we have that, we try to snorkel in the area.

It's my 2nd time in. Ive been questioned in both suite and diamond lounges.  It really didn't make sense as how could I get in without my card?  I think it's because we wear nice shorts for husband and capris for me.   Suites are sharing lounge with pinnacles.  

I did comment our suite attendant came back to clean.  He was in 2x.  

Not sure what clothing has to do with it.  I wear capris regularly.  Being Pinn doesn't mean they dress nice every evening.  

Edited by BND

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Not a popular ship I guess, reason for the low numbers.

We've been on GR 7 times and EN 7 times, (Baltimore) and there are always a lot of top tiers onboard. We've done Vision out of Tampa a few years ago and the D Lounge overflowed into the lounge it sits in.  Only time we had low top tier numbers was last summer to Bermuda on GR.  That's because it was only 6 nights, not the ship.

• Like 1