One day in Venice

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'll also say this -- read enough to understand all of the pluses and minuses of doing touristy things (like a gondola ride or a coffee at Caffe Florian) -- but at the end of the day if it's what you want to do, then do it!  If this is your "lifetime" trip, you don't want to come home and forever regret not doing it.

I agree with this-- I've been to Venice numerous times and will still take a gondola ride and grab a coffee/snack (and maybe a few negronis) at Caffe Florian on occasion. Sure, they're a bit hokey and expensive but they are still charming in their own ways-- especially to a first time visitor. Just know that going in and you won't be shocked by the cost and will enjoy it more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree with much that has been said above. 

Venice is difficult to get around with luggage; it's what makes it charming but it also can make it difficult for people with a lot of luggage. 

My suggestion would be to make a compromise and stay on Piazzale Roma BUT look at all of the hotels and pick one where you can have a canal view room. I know the Santa Chiara on Piazzale Roma is extremely convenient for arrivals and departures but also has rooms facing up toward the Grand Canal. If you get one of those canal-view rooms (which are always more expensive in Venice), you'll still have a pretty view. 

I believe that’s the place for the busses, but I could be wrong. I am considering the same idea  by the train station since that’s how we will get there and to Rome. A canal view would be nice but honestly with one night I doubt we’ll do much more than sleep after an exhausting day of trying to cram it all in!  

Venice is small and walking and wandering is encouraged. There are not really any "bad" areas on the island itself. To get from Piazzale Roma to San Marco, it is a pretty ride up the Grand Canal on one of the #1 Vaporetti. It's the equivalent of a gondola ride, really 🤣, especially if you can grab one of the seats at the front. Rick Steves' Venice guidebook has a commentary that tells you what all the buildings are as you pass them. 

That’s good to know!  

I'll also say this -- read enough to understand all of the pluses and minuses of doing touristy things (like a gondola ride or a coffee at Caffe Florian) -- but at the end of the day if it's what you want to do, then do it!  If this is your "lifetime" trip, you don't want to come home and forever regret not doing it.

I still may do both!  We don’t think anything about the crazy restaurant prices for a bottle of wine here when we go out for a nice dinner so why should we get upset over being overcharged for a cup of coffee. 

Regarding Italian restaurants and bread:  

In various parts of Italy, it has long been an accepted practice to add a small charge to a diner's bill for what is called "pane e coperto", which literally means "bread and cover (e.g., table linens, napkins)".  

Keep in mind that Italy is still very regional -- there is no one "Italian standard". So in some places "pane e coperto" is still charged. In some places it is not allowed. In some places, yes, you can turn down the bread and they aren't allowed to charge you. In some places, they will charge you regardless -- it's sort of like a compulsory tip (since discretionary tipping as we know it in the US really doesn't exist there).

I just look at it as a bit of tip and accept it, when charged. It should only be a couple of euros per table.  If it seems excessive, you can question it. I believe it is now required that any extra charges in addition to the listed menu prices for food are required to be disclosed somewhere on the menu.

Similarly, Italians (and in fact most Europeans) also will not drink tap water in a restaurant and will order bottled water, either sparkling (frizzante) or still (acqua naturale). You're not required to order it though.

I makes sense the way you explained it. Is their tap water unsafe?  I drink ice water all day. I even keep my yeti filled up with ice water by my bed at night. 

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Wheeled suitcases and steps both up and down are not usually a good combination, so be prepared to carry your luggage over each bridge you need to cross to reach your hotel and when leaving it.

Sounds like we a going to have to store it or get a room by the train station. It’s all good. 

And never book a gondola shorex from a ship as you are unlikely to get one for your sole use so. be prepared to ahare.  OTOH a private hire should ensure you have sole occupancy.

I wasn’t planning to. We will do Venice on our own. 

Venice is a wonderful city to explore on foot and to get lost in, happens to almost everyone at some point, but not seriously lost as you can usually get back on track quite quickly.I would recommend you take the vaporetto along the Grand Canal and explore on foot for the remainder of your time.

Hopefully we have time to do some wondering either after we hit all the hotspots on my list or the next morning before boarding the train to Rome. 

1 hour ago, fabnfortysomething said:

as has been pointed out most of the bridges are not smooth slopes but steps up and down so awkward with luggage

It’s finally sunk in. Thanks!

yes the first thing you may associate with Venice is a gondola ride but reality is a bit daunting

the Grand canal is the main waterway and served by the equivalent of servce  trucks which can be quite a size

gondolas are sharing the same space unless you go down the smaller side canals

personally I have never found that appealing but look down from one of the bridges and watch the action then make up your own mind

you certainly wont run the risk of unavailability!

Who knows, maybe once we’re there I won’t find them appealing either. I’m my moms it seems very romantic. 

vaparettos are the cheaper water boat option to very expensive water taxis

however they can get very crowded on grand canal route which means luggage can be problematic

an in between option is the Alilaguna service which runs fewer routes but mainly between airport cruise port and some central areas

if your hotel is on a route that could be your best option 

Noted, thank you!

38 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I agree with this-- I've been to Venice numerous times and will still take a gondola ride and grab a coffee/snack (and maybe a few negronis) at Caffe Florian on occasion. Sure, they're a bit hokey and expensive but they are still charming in their own ways-- especially to a first time visitor. Just know that going in and you won't be shocked by the cost and will enjoy it more. 

I am well prepared for the prices. Dh may not be, but I am. 

You do not need to take a gondola ride on the Grand Canal.  You can take it along the smaller canals behind St Mark's square or other areas.  Or a combination of both. There are many starting places for the rides. Here is some info.

https://www.venicelocalguide.com/where-to-take-the-best-gondola-ride-in-venice/

https://veneziaautentica.com/gondola-ride-venice/

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

believe that’s the place for the busses, but I could be wrong. I am considering the same idea  by the train station since that’s how we will get there and to Rome. A canal view would be nice but honestly with one night I doubt we’ll do much more than sleep after an exhausting day of trying to cram it all in!  

It's the same place, more or less. Let me try to show you (but all of this info is easily found on the Venice for Visitors site that has been recommended to you already).

Here is a map of the island of Venice; the Grand Canal is the big artery curling through the middle of it. The area I'm going to focus on is in the top left quarter of the map:

image.thumb.png.a7b5e93bcab851c3aee875b71d4d5354.png

Now, in the enlarged part of the map I show below, the train station (entrance marked with blue square) is next to Piazzale Roma (marked with green square) where the buses and the People Mover leave from. Vaporettos also depart regularly from here toward St. Marks and all parts of the lagoon, just like a city bus system.

The approximate location of the hotel I recommended to you is shown with a red star. You can see how convenient it is to both train and bus and also to catching a vaporetto to St. Marks, which will go down the Grand Canal. 

The hotel has both regular rooms (facing the very ordinary Piazzale Roma and its taxis and buses) and canal view rooms with a view of the Grand Canal and some views of the nearby train station and its flyover bridge (location marked in purple):

image.thumb.png.9044bacb71dedc77a2ee1709aabd8ae3.png 

The bridge is a shallow stepped bridge, and fairly modern, so not quite as difficult to carry bags over as many of the older, steeper bridges.

There are many hotels near the train station that don't require a bridge crossing OR a long walk, so you won't necessarily have to use a Luggage Storage facility.

I posted this link for Train Station Hotels earlier in this thread, but here it is again:

Venice Railroad Station Hotels | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

( a canal view sounds good but I found it too noisey.  I want a good nights sleep when I travel )

• Thanks 1

It's the same place, more or less. Let me try to show you (but all of this info is easily found on the Venice for Visitors site that has been recommended to you already).

I didn’t find that info on there. I just saw a bunch of adds for excursions and a 48 hour itinerary. Perhaps it would look different if I weren’t on my phone. 

Here is a map of the island of Venice; the Grand Canal is the big artery curling through the middle of it. The area I'm going to focus on is in the top left quarter of the map:

image.thumb.png.a7b5e93bcab851c3aee875b71d4d5354.png

Now, in the enlarged part of the map I show below, the train station (entrance marked with blue square) is next to Piazzale Roma (marked with green square) where the buses and the People Mover leave from. Vaporettos also depart regularly from here toward St. Marks and all parts of the lagoon, just like a city bus system.

The approximate location of the hotel I recommended to you is shown with a red star. You can see how convenient it is to both train and bus and also to catching a vaporetto to St. Marks, which will go down the Grand Canal. 

The hotel has both regular rooms (facing the very ordinary Piazzale Roma and its taxis and buses) and canal view rooms with a view of the Grand Canal and some views of the nearby train station and its flyover bridge (location marked in purple):

image.thumb.png.9044bacb71dedc77a2ee1709aabd8ae3.png 

The bridge is a shallow stepped bridge, and fairly modern, so not quite as difficult to carry bags over as many of the older, steeper bridges.

Thanks so much!

31 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

There are many hotels near the train station that don't require a bridge crossing OR a long walk, so you won't necessarily have to use a Luggage Storage facility.

I posted this link for Train Station Hotels earlier in this thread, but here it is again:

( a canal view sounds good but I found it too noisey.  I want a good nights sleep when I travel )

I just talked to dh and told him some of the suggestions y’all have made. He said he just wants to do what’s easiest with the luggage. That could be any number of things…a hotel near the train station, storing our luggage, or getting a water taxi. 🤷‍♀️ 

My next question is this. Our ship arrives at 6:30 AM. I have no idea when they will let us off, if they will even allow us to disembark early, which I don’t have a clear answer to yet. If we opt to get a room near the train station or get a water taxi, will the hotel store our luggage somewhere secure until our room is ready?  

I’m still not sold on the idea of getting a room near the train station. I’d love to be in the heart of it all, so we could walk around Venice at night for cocktails or pastries or whatever we’re in the mood for. I hear it’s beautiful at night, once the day trippers are gone, and I would love to experience it.  Someone mentioned the Rialto Hotel and that a water taxi would take us right to it. It doesn’t get much more convenient than that!  I see it’s right by the bridge, which is cool, so I assume there are plenty of things we could do after dark in that area as well. 

42 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

If we opt to get a room near the train station or get a water taxi, will the hotel store our luggage somewhere secure until our room is ready? 

Yes, all hotels will do that. Still, keep your passports with you.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I didn’t find that info on there. I just saw a bunch of adds for excursions and a 48 hour itinerary. Perhaps it would look different if I weren’t on my phone. 

Thanks so much!

I just talked to dh and told him some of the suggestions y’all have made. He said he just wants to do what’s easiest with the luggage. That could be any number of things…a hotel near the train station, storing our luggage, or getting a water taxi. 🤷‍♀️ 

My next question is this. Our ship arrives at 6:30 AM. I have no idea when they will let us off, if they will even allow us to disembark early, which I don’t have a clear answer to yet. If we opt to get a room near the train station or get a water taxi, will the hotel store our luggage somewhere secure until our room is ready?  

I’m still not sold on the idea of getting a room near the train station. I’d love to be in the heart of it all, so we could walk around Venice at night for cocktails or pastries or whatever we’re in the mood for. I hear it’s beautiful at night, once the day trippers are gone, and I would love to experience it.  Someone mentioned the Rialto Hotel and that a water taxi would take us right to it. It doesn’t get much more convenient than that!  I see it’s right by the bridge, which is cool, so I assume there are plenty of things we could do after dark in that area as well. 

Water taxis can take you to any hotel that has a dock, and they eliminate the "schlepping luggage" issue. However, they're expensive. And the hotels with water docks also tend to be more expensive (but not always). Water taxis can also drop you off at a vaporetto dock, I think. Then again, if you were to go that route, I'd just take the (much cheaper) vaporetto.

And again -- remember Venice is small. You can walk all the way from Piazza San Marco to Piazzale Roma in just under half an hour (assuming you don't stop to linger and that you don't get lost)!

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Yes, all hotels will do that. Still, keep your passports with you.

We will. 

Water taxis can take you to any hotel that has a dock, and they eliminate the "schlepping luggage" issue. However, they're expensive. And the hotels with water docks also tend to be more expensive (but not always). Water taxis can also drop you off at a vaporetto dock, I think. Then again, if you were to go that route, I'd just take the (much cheaper) vaporetto.

And again -- remember Venice is small. You can walk all the way from Piazza San Marco to Piazzale Roma in just under half an hour (assuming you don't stop to linger and that you don't get lost)!

I have given my dh all the info I’ve learned and will let him make the decision. I know he wants what’s easiest with the luggage. I don’t know what he thinks that will be, but it will boil down to convenience. 

From what I’ve read on here, it doesn’t sound like we would be able to bring all our luggage on a vaporetto. We will be in Europe for 3-4 weeks. We will have quite a bit of luggage, even with the plan to repeat outfits. Speaking of which, do you know if the two hotels were looking at in Rome offer laundry service?  (Hotel Smeraldo and Albergo del Senato) When it comes down to it, I doubt he will pick the option of taking a water taxi since it’s only for one night. It would be different if we were staying several. I assume he will either get a room near the train station or store our luggage there and get a room in the area we want to tour. 

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Speaking of which, do you know if the two hotels were looking at in Rome offer laundry service?

Never looked for laundry service at the hotel. Given your schedule, you might try to get your laundry done onboard before the end of your first cruise.

I should have mentioned that there are 'porters' available outside the train station who will take your luggage to your hotel.  If you walk with them you will have to be quite quick as they do not hang around.  You may be able to negotiate with them for the next morning too.

20220612_153353.thumb.jpg.881f6b5142af31ab10b52a0a77043fc4.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I should have mentioned that there are 'porters' available outside the train station who will take your luggage to your hotel.  If you walk with them you will have to be quite quick as they do not hang around.  You may be able to negotiate with them for the next morning too.

20220612_153353.thumb.jpg.881f6b5142af31ab10b52a0a77043fc4.jpg

I heard they were quite expensive. I think we’re either going to stay near the train station or store our luggage there. 

I think that I have put on this thread or somewhere near, that we stayed at La Locanda di Osaria when we went in September 2019.  The location was perfect, hotel was the most expensive I think I have ever been in, but it was not the poshest.   I would stay there again for the location.  It was fun having a real key to open the room door.   We did not have  view of anything - perhaps a wall, I can’t recall. I did not feel that this was important.  There was no point that I would have wanted to sit in the hotel.  We had lovely views walking around and when we stopped for refreshments.  

We were just one bridge over from the train station.  It was not that much of an effort, but I have a two wheeled case.  Four wheels might have been harder.  My luggage comes out at about 15 kg.  I can just about carry that for short distances.  

We were right in front of the second Vaporetto stop for the line 1.  We stayed for 2 nights prior to a cruise (which at that time left from Venice ).  We had a 24 hour pass  which we used from the morning of our full day.  

I will now tell you more about my experiences.  Cant recall if I ever did a review.  

So when we travel, I like to get up early and DH prefers to set off at around 10 am. First morning I went off to work out how to get the vaporetto pass and how we would get on to the people mover the next day.   Came back for him.  We went out to get on the vaporetto because we wanted to see Murano and Burano.  By this time the queue for the vaporetto had got much longer.  We had a wait, got to Murano and loved it.  

I had booked a restaurant on Burano (Trattoria al Gato Nero).  So about 90 mins prior we went to get to boat that would get us there.  Walked round the corner and found the mother of all queues.  We waited for ages until it was clear that we had missed our booking and was wasting our day in Venice in a queue so we went back to the main island.  

After listening to other reviews, the only way we could have done this would have been DH getting up early.  

We strolled around, getting to the Arsenale area.  I broke the sole of my shoe with the walking.  Passed through St Mark’s Square where it was crowded with tourists.  Didn’t linger.    We wanted to find food and drink, so mindful of reviews we bypassed St Mark’s Square.  We really still could not find anything cheaper than 7 euro for a beer (our yardstick for the day).  In fact further away seemed more.  So we just stopped somewhere and ate and drank.  The only high part of the bill was the imposed 20% tip (we are europeans).  

On the morning of the cruise (a Sunday) I had a couple of hours to explore a bit more while DH slept.  He always opts out of the tours, so at about 8.30 I was on vaporetto 1 - it was not crowded so  I sat near the front and listened to my downlloaded Rick Steves audio tour of the Grand Canal.  We really interesting.  

I got  out at St Mark’s Square.  I had 9 am tickets for the Doge’s Palace.  In fact that early pre booked tickets were not needed.  I did the tour with an audioguide.  I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.  I think that I should have gone to the Basilica instead.  However the prison part was eerily unpleasant in a way that has stayed with me.  I  went out to the Square, Noticed that the Bell Tower queue was getting longer.  I could not have climbed and still got back to the hotel in time for check out.  Our bags were not in storage.  

I listened to Rick Steves telling me about the square in another audio guide.  Interesting again.   Back on the Vaporetto and back to hotel.  

On disembarkation day of the cruise we had time in Venice before an early evening flight.  We left our bags in a storage and went off to pass the time.  Walking around Venice is just so wonderful.  Kodak moments at every turn and you cannot get lost (for long).    Google maps was usually helpful, but I think being among so many buildings affected the signal.   I get confused navigating anywhere so I recall being confused in Venice.  

I had booked 15 minutes on the viewing terrace of T Fondaco dei Tedeschi.  we did not have to pay, but booking ahead meant we did not have to wait.  Views were lovely and the whole department store was lovely.  

We were not interested in a gondola ride.  Looked too corny and there were traffic jams of gondolas.  The only tourist gondola photo that looked lovely was  when my youngest went in July 2020.    She and her friend paid 50 euro.  They had no queues but it was not the most sensible time to travel.  

So getting an early start seems to be the best advice when it comes to St Mark’s Square.  I dont think going to the islands is wise for a single day in Venice  but there is plenty of time to wander around this glorious city and  get a sense of the history of Venice.  I will never forget that short trip.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Let a sink and a bar of soap be your best friends.  

That’s a given!  Lol However, we will be there in July. It’s going to be extremely hot so our clothes will most likely get sweaty while walking around in the heat all day. 

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I think that I have put on this thread or somewhere near, that we stayed at La Locanda di Osaria when we went in September 2019.  The location was perfect, hotel was the most expensive I think I have ever been in, but it was not the poshest.   I would stay there again for the location.  It was fun having a real key to open the room door.   We did not have  view of anything - perhaps a wall, I can’t recall. I did not feel that this was important.  There was no point that I would have wanted to sit in the hotel.  We had lovely views walking around and when we stopped for refreshments.  

We were just one bridge over from the train station.  It was not that much of an effort, but I have a two wheeled case.  Four wheels might have been harder.  My luggage comes out at about 15 kg.  I can just about carry that for short distances.  

I couldn’t understand why people were saying it’s hard to cross the bridges with suitcases until I saw the pictures and they are steps. I pictured a smooth surface. I asked dh and some of our suitcases have 2 wheels and some are 4. I’m trying to envision why 4 wheels would be harder than 2.  Maybe dh’s idea of a wheeled suitcase and a backpack would work better here than two wheeled suitcases. We did self assist getting off our cruise last week and I had no issue wheeling one suitcase. However my backpack was way too heavy so I placed it over the handle of my suitcase (it had all our shoes and our dirty clothes). That made it harder to steer but I wasn’t navigating steps so it was no issue. I could always buy a smaller backpack. By the way, I realize I will not be able to take 7 pair of shoes on this trip!  

We were right in front of the second Vaporetto stop for the line 1.  We stayed for 2 nights prior to a cruise (which at that time left from Venice ).  We had a 24 hour pass  which we used from the morning of our full day.  

The hotel we’re looking at is in front of a stop too. I’ve read conflicting information on whether or not we can bring on luggage with us on the vaporetto. We plan to buy a 24 hour pass. 

I will now tell you more about my experiences.  Cant recall if I ever did a review.  

So when we travel, I like to get up early and DH prefers to set off at around 10 am. First morning I went off to work out how to get the vaporetto pass and how we would get on to the people mover the next day.   Came back for him.  We went out to get on the vaporetto because we wanted to see Murano and Burano.  By this time the queue for the vaporetto had got much longer.  We had a wait, got to Murano and loved it.  

I have no idea what time we will get there but I doubt it’s early. Our ship docks in Trieste at 6:30. I have no idea what NCL’s policy is for early disembarkation, or if they will allow it but I’ve read where others have. Fingers crossed it’s no issue!  

I had booked a restaurant on Burano (Trattoria al Gato Nero).  So about 90 mins prior we went to get to boat that would get us there.  Walked round the corner and found the mother of all queues.  We waited for ages until it was clear that we had missed our booking and was wasting our day in Venice in a queue so we went back to the main island.  

After listening to other reviews, the only way we could have done this would have been DH getting up early.  

I’m so sorry you missed it!  

We strolled around, getting to the Arsenale area.  I broke the sole of my shoe with the walking.  Passed through St Mark’s Square where it was crowded with tourists.  Didn’t linger.    We wanted to find food and drink, so mindful of reviews we bypassed St Mark’s Square.  We really still could not find anything cheaper than 7 euro for a beer (our yardstick for the day).  In fact further away seemed more.  So we just stopped somewhere and ate and drank.  The only high part of the bill was the imposed 20% tip (we are europeans).  

Oh my!  We’re there plenty of stores around where you could buy a new pair of shoes?  I typically wear Birkenstocks, Chacos, or Danskos when I know I will be doing a lot of walking. That’s what I wear to work all the time since I spend so much time on my feet. Comfort is number one!  

Thw further away you got from St. Marks the more expensive the food was?  I would have thought it would be the opposite. We will most likely just find something that looks good when we get hungry, but we will only have about 24 hours there. 

On the morning of the cruise (a Sunday) I had a couple of hours to explore a bit more while DH slept.  He always opts out of the tours, so at about 8.30 I was on vaporetto 1 - it was not crowded so  I sat near the front and listened to my downlloaded Rick Steves audio tour of the Grand Canal.  We really interesting.  

Good to know the second morning we would have time to do something without the crowds, before catching our train to Rome.  Had you dh been to Venice before?  

I just went to the App Store to download this. It appears to be free. Is it? 

I got  out at St Mark’s Square.  I had 9 am tickets for the Doge’s Palace.  In fact that early pre booked tickets were not needed.  I did the tour with an audioguide.  I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.  I think that I should have gone to the Basilica instead.  However the prison part was eerily unpleasant in a way that has stayed with me.  I  went out to the Square, Noticed that the Bell Tower queue was getting longer.  I could not have climbed and still got back to the hotel in time for check out.  Our bags were not in storage.  

I plan on seeing both. I was also planning on a guided tour. Do you think you would have enjoyed it more had you done so?  If you had it to do over again, would you have stored your bags or taken them with you?

I listened to Rick Steves telling me about the square in another audio guide.  Interesting again.   Back on the Vaporetto and back to hotel.  

On disembarkation day of the cruise we had time in Venice before an early evening flight.  We left our bags in a storage and went off to pass the time.  Walking around Venice is just so wonderful.  Kodak moments at every turn and you cannot get lost (for long).    Google maps was usually helpful, but I think being among so many buildings affected the signal.   I get confused navigating anywhere so I recall being confused in Venice.  

I had booked 15 minutes on the viewing terrace of T Fondaco dei Tedeschi.  we did not have to pay, but booking ahead meant we did not have to wait.  Views were lovely and the whole department store was lovely.  

We were not interested in a gondola ride.  Looked too corny and there were traffic jams of gondolas.  The only tourist gondola photo that looked lovely was  when my youngest went in July 2020.    She and her friend paid 50 euro.  They had no queues but it was not the most sensible time to travel.  

So getting an early start seems to be the best advice when it comes to St Mark’s Square.  I dont think going to the islands is wise for a single day in Venice  but there is plenty of time to wander around this glorious city and  get a sense of the history of Venice.  I will never forget that short trip.  

So many of you are saying after getting there they didn’t have any desire to ride a gondola. I still have a romantic vision of dh and I riding one with a bottle of wine. Maybe it would be better at night after all the day trippers are gone.  Of course, that is still dependent of NCL allowing us to disembark early. 

It sounds like you enjoyed just wondering around town more than seeing the tourist sites. I wish we could have more time there, but to do that I’d have to cut Rome short and there’s so much I want to see and do there!  

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!  

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

9 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We will most likely just find something that looks good when we get hungry, but we will only have about 24 hours there. 

If you want to try something authentically Venetian go to Enoteca Schiavi which is a little off the beaten path but excellent cicchetti (their version of small plate tapas). Locals still go here. Its over the Ponte dell'Academia and only about a 15 minute walk from St Marks. You stand at the bar and pick out items and drink wine from their extensive by the glass options. It's inexpensive, authentic, and excellent. 

If you end up staying near the train station also worth checking out Gelateria il Doge which is a short walk. By far my favorite Gelateria in Venice (and I've tried a lot). 

4 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you want to try something authentically Venetian go to Enoteca Schiavi which is a little off the beaten path but excellent cicchetti (their version of small plate tapas). Locals still go here. Its over the Ponte dell'Academia and only about a 15 minute walk from St Marks. You stand at the bar and pick out items and drink wine from their extensive by the glass options. It's inexpensive, authentic, and excellent. 

With only 24 hours or so in Venice, I really don’t like the idea of hunting down a specific place to eat. However, I do love a good glass of wine!  

4 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you end up staying near the train station also worth checking out Gelateria il Doge which is a short walk. By far my favorite Gelateria in Venice (and I've tried a lot). 

Now this we will look for if we stay in that area!!  I’m putting that decision on dh because he will be the one that has to deal with our heaviest piece of luggage. 

Yes the gondolas are expensive but it's your 30th anniversary. Ride a gondola! Venice is not that big in area. You can see a lot in 24 hours. And if you think you might lose DH make a plan where you will meet at certain time. It is very easy to get lost in Venice. And have fun!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 4:24 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That’s a given!  Lol However, we will be there in July. It’s going to be extremely hot so our clothes will most likely get sweaty while walking around in the heat all day. 

I couldn’t understand why people were saying it’s hard to cross the bridges with suitcases until I saw the pictures and they are steps. I pictured a smooth surface. I asked dh and some of our suitcases have 2 wheels and some are 4. I’m trying to envision why 4 wheels would be harder than 2.  Maybe dh’s idea of a wheeled suitcase and a backpack would work better here than two wheeled suitcases.

I would absolutely agree with your DH.  Two lots of wheeled luggage are fine on flat surfaces but not if you are in a city.  Saying that, I can cope with around 7 or 8 kilo in a back pack if not too much standing around is needed.  

We did self assist getting off our cruise last week and I had no issue wheeling one suitcase. However my backpack was way too heavy so I placed it over the handle of my suitcase (it had all our shoes and our dirty clothes). That made it harder to steer but I wasn’t navigating steps so it was no issue. I could always buy a smaller backpack. By the way, I realize I will not be able to take 7 pair of shoes on this trip!  

I  am comparing two wheelers which have fixed wheels to the spinner wheels on the 4 wheelers.  I just don’t think that the 4 wheels go up and down pavements as easily.  Maybe it is just that what I am used to - 25 years of wheeled luggage.  

It is a good job that I had more than just a single pair of shoes.  Just not 7.  I think I went back to my skechers and bought a $10 pair of sandals on the ship.  I still use them for the beach.    I did not want to do shoe shopping in Venice.  After walking for half a day I thought that my feet were not fit to visit a shoe shop. 

The hotel we’re looking at is in front of a stop too. I’ve read conflicting information on whether or not we can bring on luggage with us on the vaporetto. We plan to buy a 24 hour pass. 

We didn’t take luggage.  Not sure.  Perhaps if it is very busy it is hard to get on ??  

I have no idea what time we will get there but I doubt it’s early. Our ship docks in Trieste at 6:30. I have no idea what NCL’s policy is for early disembarkation, or if they will allow it but I’ve read where others have. Fingers crossed it’s no issue!  

We have never been stopped getting off any of our NCL ships at not long after the time of arrival.  I suppose it  depends on whether or not there is a paperwork issue.  

I’m so sorry you missed it!  

Oh my!  We’re there plenty of stores around where you could buy a new pair of shoes?  I typically wear Birkenstocks, Chacos, or Danskos when I know I will be doing a lot of walking. That’s what I wear to work all the time since I spend so much time on my feet. Comfort is number one!  

Thw further away you got from St. Marks the more expensive the food was?  I would have thought it would be the opposite.

We were somewhat confused about the change in prices too.  In the end we ate well.  Bank was not broken.  

We will most likely just find something that looks good when we get hungry, but we will only have about 24 hours there. 

Good to know the second morning we would have time to do something without the crowds, before catching our train to Rome.  Had you dh been to Venice before?  

I had never been to Venice.  When I got there I was surprised that this wonderful city had passed me by.  I think it is that it is so easy to get to Barcelona, we did not feel the need to do an Eastern Med trip.  It is also that flights from Malaga are not direct.  So many places to go to that are direct why not stick to that.  

I am pretty sure that you will end up feeling that you have got to see a good part of Venice.  

I just went to the App Store to download this. It appears to be free. Is it? 

Not sure what is being referred to, it has not come out.   If you are referring to the rick Steves App - yes it is free.  The audio guides are free too.   

I plan on seeing both. I was also planning on a guided tour. Do you think you would have enjoyed it more had you done so?  If you had it to do over again, would you have stored your bags or taken them with you?

I had an audio guide for the Doge’s Palace.  That was fine.  I don’t think a real life guide would have changed thing.  I think that what spoiled it for me was a friend who told me that this was a ‘must see’. I could not quite see what she was so enthusiastic about.  Maybe she had gone into St Marks Basilica too.   I think that she raised my expectations to much !!!

We didnt really struggle with bags - only one bridge was crossed.  We were of course leaving for our cruise from Venice.   We stored our luggage near the people mover (and bus station) on the last day.   

So many of you are saying after getting there they didn’t have any desire to ride a gondola. I still have a romantic vision of dh and I riding one with a bottle of wine.

DH has never had been that good at ‘iconic romantic experiences’.  Sitting in a restaurant with a great view suits us better.  

Maybe it would be better at night after all the day trippers are gone.  I would try that.  Of course, that is still dependent of NCL allowing us to disembark early. 

It sounds like you enjoyed just wondering around town more than seeing the tourist sites. I wish we could have more time there, but to do that I’d have to cut Rome short and there’s so much I want to see and do there!  

You will have plenty of time to get the flavour of Venice in that 24 hours.  Of course we can always do more if we have more time.    I would for sure spend  an extra day in Rome over an extra day in Venice.  

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!    It is actually fun to recall it. I keep a short diary on my phone so that I can annotate my photos and remember the number of steps walked!

I hope that you have a great trip

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 6:19 PM, mapleleaves said:

I just booked Venice Times Hotel from this list.  Thanks!  No canal view, but I can keep looking.