One day in Venice

After watching a few videos, I think we'd enjoy the following:

St. Mark's Basilica - for sure!

Doge's Palace (Maybe?)

Gondola Ride - Yes, please!  It's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Venice.

Shopping - Always!  

Have coffee at Caffe Florian

Rialto bridge

Is there anything I'm missing?  Is one day enough to do all this?  Do we need to schedule a tour guide or just do it all ourselves?  How far in advance should we get skip the line tickets for the basilica?  Given this, is St. Mark's the best area for us to get a room?  Are these places within walking distance of each other?

39 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

St. Mark's Basilica - for sure!

Doge's Palace (Maybe?)

Gondola Ride - Yes, please!  It's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Venice.

Shopping - Always!  

Have coffee at Caffe Florian

Rialto bridge

This can all be done fairly easily because it's all quite close to each other. St. Marks and Doge's Palace you'll want to book tickets in advance so you can skip the lines-- both are quite worthwhile. Caffe Florian, while extremely touristy, is fun and is literally right there. Rialto Bridge is a short walk. 

You could add drinks at Hotel Danieli right nearby (either in the stunning lobby or up on their beautiful terrace overlooking the canal). 

42 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is there anything I'm missing?  Is one day enough to do all this?

Missing lots-- like any city you are just scratching the surface with some of the very, very top highlights. Part of the fun of Venice is just wandering and getting lost in the various streets and passageways-- you won't really have time for that. Also there are tons of other museums, grand buildings, churches, that one day won't provide enough time to see. I think the sweet spot is 3-4 days-- it's enough to see a lot without double backing too much. That being said, I would take 1 day in Venice anytime over none-- so make it count. You'll find plenty you'll want to go back to see. 

45 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Do we need to schedule a tour guide or just do it all ourselves?

No-- Venice is very manageable on your own and as you'll see when you're there, walking around with a large tour group can be a hindrance to enjoying it. 

46 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Given this, is St. Mark's the best area for us to get a room?  Are these places within walking distance of each other?

Yes-- based on what you said in terms of what you want to see I would look near St Marks. It will be one of the more expensive areas but if it's only one night maybe splurge on this night to maximize your time to see things. Part of the charm of Venice is at night when the tourists not staying over go back to the mainland and the city is much more manageable. Great time to walk around. 

47 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

A good place near St Marks to get a gondola is right by the Hotel Bauer. You'll pass Florian on your left and walk out of the square. It will be just down the walkway on the left before you come to the first bridge. 

Some fun watering holes near there are the original Harrys Bar (of Cipriani fame) and a bit further down our favorite place to grab a drink in Venice is on the canal side patio of the Gritti Palace at Bar Longhi. Its a great way to see the place for a $20 apertivo rather than having to pay over $2000 a night. 

All good except we are not big fans of the Cafe Florian (a major tourist trap).  Yes, the location is fine if you like looking at hoards of daytrippers, but their coffee is hardly worth the price.  At one time they even charged an "entertainment fee" for just sitting at one of their tables.  We agree that a gondola ride is a must for most first-time visitors  You do not need to book a cruise line (or private) tour to get on a gondola.  Just approach any docked gondola (they have various docks around the city) and negotiate a price.  Expect to pay over 100 Euros.  We also suggest first stopped at a local shop where they sell wine, buying some wine, asking for some plastic glasses, and than having them pull the cork (unless you get a screw top).  Take the wine on your gondola and indulge as you glide through the canals :).

Funny tale about gondolas.  We were once showing some friends around Venice and hired a gondola.  One of our friends ask the gondolier if he would sing!  The man smiled and said it would cost another 50 Euros and his voice was not worth the money :).

Hank

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

This can all be done fairly easily because it's all quite close to each other. St. Marks and Doge's Palace you'll want to book tickets in advance so you can skip the lines-- both are quite worthwhile. Caffe Florian, while extremely touristy, is fun and is literally right there. Rialto Bridge is a short walk. 

Good to know. Thanks!  

You could add drinks at Hotel Danieli right nearby (either in the stunning lobby or up on their beautiful terrace overlooking the canal). 

Missing lots-- like any city you are just scratching the surface with some of the very, very top highlights. Part of the fun of Venice is just wandering and getting lost in the various streets and passageways-- you won't really have time for that. Also there are tons of other museums, grand buildings, churches, that one day won't provide enough time to see. I think the sweet spot is 3-4 days-- it's enough to see a lot without double backing too much. That being said, I would take 1 day in Venice anytime over none-- so make it count. You'll find plenty you'll want to go back to see. 

We haven’t decided what time we will head to Rome on day 2. We should get there early one day 1 and have a full day. I was thinking about catching a 10:30 AM train but we could catch a later one. We have 3 nights booked in Rome. Should we spend 2 full days in Venice and leave 2 full days in Rome or 1 and 3?  

No-- Venice is very manageable on your own and as you'll see when you're there, walking around with a large tour group can be a hindrance to enjoying it. 

Sounds good!

Yes-- based on what you said in terms of what you want to see I would look near St Marks. It will be one of the more expensive areas but if it's only one night maybe splurge on this night to maximize your time to see things. Part of the charm of Venice is at night when the tourists not staying over go back to the mainland and the city is much more manageable. Great time to walk around. 

This sounds wonderful!

A good place near St Marks to get a gondola is right by the Hotel Bauer. You'll pass Florian on your left and walk out of the square. It will be just down the walkway on the left before you come to the first bridge. 

Some fun watering holes near there are the original Harrys Bar (of Cipriani fame) and a bit further down our favorite place to grab a drink in Venice is on the canal side patio of the Gritti Palace at Bar Longhi. Its a great way to see the place for a $20 apertivo rather than having to pay over $2000 a night. 

Thanks!!

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

All good except we are not big fans of the Cafe Florian (a major tourist trap).  Yes, the location is fine if you like looking at hoards of daytrippers, but their coffee is hardly worth the price.  At one time they even charged an "entertainment fee" for just sitting at one of their tables.  We agree that a gondola ride is a must for most first-time visitors  You do not need to book a cruise line (or private) tour to get on a gondola.  Just approach any docked gondola (they have various docks around the city) and negotiate a price.  Expect to pay over 100 Euros.  We also suggest first stopped at a local shop where they sell wine, buying some wine, asking for some plastic glasses, and then having them pull the cork (unless you get a screw top).  Take the wine on your gondola and indulge as you glide through the canals :).

The coffee shop looked really cool in a video I watched. Not a must do. I did see the prices. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

Thanks for the idea with the wine. Sounds perfect!  Did I mention we’ll be celebrating our 30th anniversary?  Doesn’t get much more romantic than this!!  How long does it last for 100 euros?

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Funny tale about gondolas.  We were once showing some friends around Venice and hired a gondola.  One of our friends ask the gondolier if he would sing!  The man smiled and said it would cost another 50 Euros and his voice was not worth the money :).

Hank

😂😂😂 I’ll keep that in mind. Lol

Getting around in Venice is challenging in the summer, due to immense crowds.  Nothing is really very far away from anything else, so if you're only staying for one night I would at least consider staying near Piazzale Roma, so you're not dragging your luggage onto and off vaporettos, and along crowded cobblestone streets.  I can understand going through that for a several night stay, but for one night ...

Alternatively, if you really want to stay in/near St. Marks, consider packing in such a way that you can leave all of your luggage, save for an overnight bag, at the left luggage office at Piazzale Roma and only carry one small bag to your hotel.

Regarding gondolas, the fare is set by the city of Venice and is not negotiated, regardless of what some people will tell you.

The currrent fare is 80 euro for 30 minutes during the day, or 100 euro for 35 minutes at night (7 PM - 3 AM).

The city lists the fares on their website, along with a list of the gondola stations:  Tariffe, orari e stazi Servizio Gondola | Comune di Venezia.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Getting around in Venice is challenging in the summer, due to immense crowds.  Nothing is really very far away from anything else, so if you're only staying for one night I would at least consider staying near Piazzale Roma, so you're not dragging your luggage onto and off vaporettos, and along crowded cobblestone streets.  I can understand going through that for a several night stay, but for one night ...

Is it that difficult to bring luggage on them?  I was hoping to stay where everything is so we could walk around at night close to our hotel. I wouldn’t want to be too far from it and night, get lost and end up in a bad area. Is anything in that area?    

18 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Alternatively, if you really want to stay in/near St. Marks, consider packing in such a way that you can leave all of your luggage, save for an overnight bag, at the left luggage office at Piazzale Roma and only carry one small bag to your hotel.

Is that near the train station?

14 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Regarding gondolas, the fare is set by the city of Venice and is not negotiated, regardless of what some people will tell you.

The currrent fare is 80 euro for 30 minutes during the day, or 100 euro for 35 minutes at night (7 PM - 3 AM).

The city lists the fares on their website, along with a list of the gondola stations:  Tariffe, orari e stazi Servizio Gondola | Comune di Venezia.

That doesn’t seem like very long. I was hoping it was for an hour. Will 30 minutes seem like enough?  I take it it’s better at night since it’s more expensive then. 

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, just that people will pay more.  Personally, I want to see what's around me so I'd rather go early in the morning, while it's still a bit quieter.

Piazzale Roma is the end of the roadway into Venice, it's where you would arrive by bus or taxi.  If you are arriving by train there is a left luggage office right in the train station.

A vaporetto is a bus that runs on water.  It's that kind of crowded, especially in the summer, so yes it's a real pain to have luggage with you.  If money is no object you could use a private water taxi and take all the luggage you want.

It is very rare (perhaps once in 5 years) that I disagree with Euro Cruiser, but gondola pricing and length of ride can sometimes be negotiated...despite the "rules" that set prices.  If you happen to hire a gondola when supply exceeds demand, some of the gondoliers may be willing to push the rules.  In the past, we have turned a 30 min ride into a 45 min ride and on another occasion we negotiated to a day price for a 7:15 ride.  It is Italy and there is no harm in trying as long as you do it politely and with a smile.   

Hank 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, just that people will pay more.  Personally, I want to see what's around me so I'd rather go early in the morning, while it's still a bit quieter.

That's a valid point.  I thought it might look pretty at night with all the lights too.

Piazzale Roma is the end of the roadway into Venice, it's where you would arrive by bus or taxi.  If you are arriving by train there is a left luggage office right in the train station.

We would arrive that way from the ship, I assume.  But I wouldn't want to have to go out of our way the next morning before getting the train.  How far is the train station?  I assume it would be safe left there.

A vaporetto is a bus that runs on water.  It's that kind of crowded, especially in the summer, so yes it's a real pain to have luggage with you.  If money is no object you could use a private water taxi and take all the luggage you want.

How much would that be?  Money is a consideration!

As I planned my first visit to Venice, I just assumed that I would go on a gondola at some point.  But once I got there, it didn't really appeal to me anymore.  I've visited several more times and still haven't.

You'll find out when you get there if it's for you.

As for a location to stay, I prefer the Rialto Bridge area, probably on the Rialto Market side but either is fine. Maybe a 10 minute walk to St Marks.

How are you getting to Venice?  If you're taking the train from Trieste AND taking the train to Rome, it might be easier to stay near the S Lucia station. If your room isn't ready, leave your luggage at Reception then start exploring. The train station is on the Grand Canal, with a vaporetto stop right in front.  And directly across the Canal from the station is Piazzale Roma with easy access to airport buses/taxis if you decide to fly to Rome instead of taking the train. Only a 1 hr flight and can cost as low as $70. Venice Railroad Station Hotels | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

When I was in Venice last Sept, it was the busiest I've ever experienced. The water bus in the morning was packed. It was uncomfortable.  I couldn't imagine trying to board with luggage, and I pack light, with just a 22" suitcase.  Look closely at this photo to see how busy it can be on a vaporetto. Venice Vaporetto Line 1 (Grand Canal to Lido) | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

Venice for Visitors is a great resource as you start your research.

Venice for Visitors | In-depth travel advice since 1997 (europeforvisitors.com)

Venice is safe. You can feel comfortable wandering around day or night. No violent crime. But be mindful of pickpockets.  I took this photo at dusk standing on the bridge between the train station and Piazzale Roma.  

canal.jpg

39 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Within the city a point-to-point water taxi is € 85.

Thank you!

39 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It's a little hard to be helpful without more information.  Are you getting off a cruise ship, then spending one night in Venice before continuing on elsewhere in Italy by train?

Yes- off the ship in the AM, tour all day and night, spend the night in Venice and take the train to Rome the next day. Not sure what time. 

28 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

As I planned my first visit to Venice, I just assumed that I would go on a gondola at some point.  But once I got there, it didn't really appeal to me anymore.  I've visited several more times and still haven't.

You'll find out when you get there if it's for you.

I can’t imagine not wanting to do it once we get there. It’s the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Venice. 

As for a location to stay, I prefer the Rialto Bridge area, probably on the Rialto Market side but either is fine. Maybe a 10 minute walk to St Marks.

Why?  

How are you getting to Venice?  If you're taking the train from Trieste AND taking the train to Rome, it might be easier to stay near the S Lucia station. If your room isn't ready, leave your luggage at Reception then start exploring. The train station is on the Grand Canal, with a vaporetto stop right in front.  And directly across the Canal from the station is Piazzale Roma with easy access to airport buses/taxis if you decide to fly to Rome instead of taking the train. Only a 1 hr flight and can cost as low as $70. Venice Railroad Station Hotels | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

I don’t know how we’re getting from Trieste to Venice. We’ll look at both cost and convenience. I don’t see us flying to Rome. I’m terrified of flying!  I can’t imagine getting on a smaller plane!!  

When I was in Venice last Sept, it was the busiest I've ever experienced. The water bus in the morning was packed. It was uncomfortable.  I couldn't imagine trying to board with luggage, and I pack light, with just a 22" suitcase.  Look closely at this photo to see how busy it can be on a vaporetto. Venice Vaporetto Line 1 (Grand Canal to Lido) | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

Venice for Visitors is a great resource as you start your research.

Venice for Visitors | In-depth travel advice since 1997 (europeforvisitors.com)

Venice is safe. You can feel comfortable wandering around day or night. No violent crime. But be mindful of pickpockets.  I took this photo at dusk standing on the bridge between the train station and Piazzale Roma.  

canal.jpg

Thanks!

I feel like I'm a half mile behind on this thread, only slowly picking up the pieces.

Okay, so the cruise is ending in Trieste prior to the stay in Venice, right?  You have two realistic options for getting to Venice, land (bus, car service, shuttle or taxi) or rail.  There are no ferries between Trieste and Venice, as far as I know.

That means you will either arrive at Piazzale Roma (land transportation) or Venice Santa Lucia train station.  There are left luggage offices in each of these locations, I can't urge you strongly enough to leave everything except the essentials before heading into the heart of Venice.

If you're going to leave Venice by train the next day, the most logical option is to arrive by train from Trieste, stow your luggage at the station, then continue on to your hotel.  Your things will be there waiting for you the next day when you're ready to depart, absent the incredible hassle of dragging them around Venice.

23 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

I feel like I'm a half mile behind on this thread, only slowly picking up the pieces.

Okay, so the cruise is ending in Trieste prior to the stay in Venice, right?  You have two realistic options for getting to Venice, land (bus, car service, shuttle or taxi) or rail.  There are no ferries between Trieste and Venice, as far as I know.

That is correct. 

23 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

That means you will either arrive at Piazzale Roma (land transportation) or Venice Santa Lucia train station.  There are left luggage offices in each of these locations, I can't urge you strongly enough to leave everything except the essentials before heading into the heart of Venice.

If you're going to leave Venice by train the next day, the most logical option is to arrive by train from Trieste, stow your luggage at the station, then continue on to your hotel.  Your things will be there waiting for you the next day when you're ready to depart, absent the incredible hassle of dragging them around Venice.

Are they completely safe being left behind?  I have to say that scares me a bit. 

While I have no concerns about these professional services, the same advice holds true for this as for luggage on a flight - carry anything important/hard to replace (medications, jewelry, passports) with you, don't leave it in checked luggage.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

How much would that be?  Money is a consideration!

In that case you should read reviews about Cafe Florian before going in.  Tripadvisor and others. Very expensive even for a cup of tea or coffee and you pay extra if the "orchestra" is playing outside and that extra isn't negotiable.  It is known for being a bit of a tourist trap.  And do remember that in Italy there can be different charges for anything you order depending on whether you are inside standing at the bar for your tea/coffee, (cheapest) or inside but sitting down,(more expensive) and most expensive is usually sitting down at an outside table. There is also usually a set cover charge for "bread" with a meal order.

When choosing Venice hotels, many visitors will take intoaccount  the number of bridges which need to be crossed to reach their hotel from a vaporetto stop, as luggage needs to be carried across them unless you use the porter service usually found outside the train station or pay $$$ for a private water taxi.One of the reasons for the area around Piazzale Roma being so popular for accommodation is because that is the last point where taxis buses and trams can run to, and is usually the arrival or departure point for tourists.

If you will be first time visitors, I cannot reccomend enough that you go to the VENICE FOR VISITORS/Europe for visitors website which is a really excellent source of information for all things Venice. That should be your first point of reference although there are many others including Tripadvisor.

As above, we have visited Venice 7 times and never felt the need for a gondola ride.  We have seen cruise pax on shorex uncomfortably filling a gondola (maybe 4 or 6 persons?) and also seen them several times going around bumper to bumper (do gondolas have bumpers?) in convey and neither experience appealed to us.

Edited by edinburgher

I went to Café Florian.  It's overpriced, WAY overpriced, crowded and slow.  

While I splurged on private water taxis, it's easy to get luggage onto the Vaporetti but they can get crowded.  Just keep in mind bridges and steps if you are staying in Central Venice.  That's why I spent the extra money, to cut down on my climbing.  I stayed at Hotel Rialto and walked maybe 20 paces to the door from the water taxi dock.

• Like 1

I would suggest train from Trieste to Venice Santa Lucia station and stay at  hotel close to the station (suggest Hotel Principe - we stayed there twice).  There is a vaporetto station close to the hotel (across from the station) that will get you around or it is a great walk from the hotel to san marco square.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

In that case you should read reviews about Cafe Florian before going in.  Tripadvisor and others. Very expensive even for a cup of tea or coffee and you pay extra if the "orchestra" is playing outside and that extra isn't negotiable.  It is known for being a bit of a tourist trap.  And do remember that in Italy there can be different charges for anything you order depending on whether you are inside standing at the bar for your tea/coffee, (cheapest) or inside but sitting down,(more expensive) and most expensive is usually sitting down at an outside table. There is also usually a set cover charge for "bread" with a meal order.

Yes, I’m aware of all of the above, except the bread. They charge for bread or for the table?  I believe they charge for bread even if you pass, correct?  I saw a YouTube video of a couple there and it looked cool. I did see the menu prices, but thought it would be worth it. Maybe not. 

When choosing Venice hotels, many visitors will take intoaccount  the number of bridges which need to be crossed to reach their hotel from a vaporetto stop, as luggage needs to be carried across them unless you use the porter service usually found outside the train station or pay $$$ for a private water taxi.One of the reasons for the area around Piazzale Roma being so popular for accommodation is because that is the last point where taxis buses and trams can run to, and is usually the arrival or departure point for tourists.

So you can’t wheel luggage over a bridge?  I wouldn’t mind paying $80 for a water taxi, but it seems a bit extra for a one night stay. Maybe we would be better off doing as @euro cruiser suggested and take the train from Trieste to Venice since we’ll be taking the train to Rome the next day. Then either store it at the luggage station there or get a hotel in that area. May be easier to just store it since we won’t have room access right away. 

If you will be first time visitors, I cannot reccomend enough that you go to the VENICE FOR VISITORS/Europe for visitors website which is a really excellent source of information for all things Venice. That should be your first point of reference although there are many others including Tripadvisor.

That never crossed my mind. Thank you so much!!  We’ve really only traveled in the Caribbean, so what seems like common knowledge to more seasoned travelers isn’t so obvious to me. I will check it out. I have looked at TripAdvisor. 

As above, we have visited Venice 7 times and never felt the need for a gondola ride.  We have seen cruise pax on shorex uncomfortably filling a gondola (maybe 4 or 6 persons?) and also seen them several times going around bumper to bumper (do gondolas have bumpers?) in convey and neither experience appealed to us.

I still have that vision of a romantic gondola ride there. We wouldn’t share it with anyone else, just the two of us and perhaps a bottle of wine as someone suggested. 

50 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

I went to Café Florian.  It's overpriced, WAY overpriced, crowded and slow.  

50 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

While I splurged on private water taxis, it's easy to get luggage onto the Vaporetti but they can get crowded.  Just keep in mind bridges and steps if you are staying in Central Venice.  That's why I spent the extra money, to cut down on my climbing.  I stayed at Hotel Rialto and walked maybe 20 paces to the door from the water taxi dock.

I guess I should mark Cafe Florian off my list. I get it. An overpriced tourist trap.  I need to find some videos of these bridges. Would this be an issue if we got a hotel near the train station?  Hotel Rialto looks lovely!  I sent them an email asking when I could book for next July. 

17 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I would suggest train from Trieste to Venice Santa Lucia station and stay at  hotel close to the station (suggest Hotel Principe - we stayed there twice).  There is a vaporetto station close to the hotel (across from the station) that will get you around or it is a great walk from the hotel to san marco square.

Thanks for the suggestion!  It looks like it’s about a half hour walk to the places we want to go. I’d prefer staying closer, but guess we could take the vaporetto. 

I agree with much that has been said above. 

Venice is difficult to get around with luggage; it's what makes it charming but it also can make it difficult for people with a lot of luggage. 

My suggestion would be to make a compromise and stay on Piazzale Roma BUT look at all of the hotels and pick one where you can have a canal view room. I know the Santa Chiara on Piazzale Roma is extremely convenient for arrivals and departures but also has rooms facing up toward the Grand Canal. If you get one of those canal-view rooms (which are always more expensive in Venice), you'll still have a pretty view. 

Venice is small and walking and wandering is encouraged. There are not really any "bad" areas on the island itself. To get from Piazzale Roma to San Marco, it is a pretty ride up the Grand Canal on one of the #1 Vaporetti. It's the equivalent of a gondola ride, really 🤣, especially if you can grab one of the seats at the front. Rick Steves' Venice guidebook has a commentary that tells you what all the buildings are as you pass them. 

I'll also say this -- read enough to understand all of the pluses and minuses of doing touristy things (like a gondola ride or a coffee at Caffe Florian) -- but at the end of the day if it's what you want to do, then do it!  If this is your "lifetime" trip, you don't want to come home and forever regret not doing it.

Regarding Italian restaurants and bread:  

In various parts of Italy, it has long been an accepted practice to add a small charge to a diner's bill for what is called "pane e coperto", which literally means "bread and cover (e.g., table linens, napkins)".  

Keep in mind that Italy is still very regional -- there is no one "Italian standard". So in some places "pane e coperto" is still charged. In some places it is not allowed. In some places, yes, you can turn down the bread and they aren't allowed to charge you. In some places, they will charge you regardless -- it's sort of like a compulsory tip (since discretionary tipping as we know it in the US really doesn't exist there).

I just look at it as a bit of tip and accept it, when charged. It should only be a couple of euros per table.  If it seems excessive, you can question it. I believe it is now required that any extra charges in addition to the listed menu prices for food are required to be disclosed somewhere on the menu.

Similarly, Italians (and in fact most Europeans) also will not drink tap water in a restaurant and will order bottled water, either sparkling (frizzante) or still (acqua naturale). You're not required to order it though.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So you can’t wheel luggage over a bridge?

Wheeled suitcases and steps both up and down are not usually a good combination, so be prepared to carry your luggage over each bridge you need to cross to reach your hotel and when leaving it.

And never book a gondola shorex from a ship as you are unlikely to get one for your sole use so. be prepared to ahare.  OTOH a private hire should ensure you have sole occupancy.

Venice is a wonderful city to explore on foot and to get lost in, happens to almost everyone at some point, but not seriously lost as you can usually get back on track quite quickly.I would recommend you take the vaporetto along the Grand Canal and explore on foot for the remainder of your time.

Edited by edinburgher

as has been pointed out most of the bridges are not smooth slopes but steps up and down so awkward with luggage

yes the first thing you may associate with Venice is a gondola ride but reality is a bit daunting

the Grand canal is the main waterway and served by the equivalent of servce  trucks which can be quite a size

gondolas are sharing the same space unless you go down the smaller side canals

personally I have never found that appealing but look down from one of the bridges and watch the action then make up your own mind

you certainly wont run the risk of unavailability!

vaparettos are the cheaper water boat option to very expensive water taxis

however they can get very crowded on grand canal route which means luggage can be problematic

an in between option is the Alilaguna service which runs fewer routes but mainly between airport cruise port and some central areas

if your hotel is on a route that could be your best option