Live from Britannia

Selbourne

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Are you still vaping Jane.

It is Father David's 50th birthday tomorrow.

I post his sermon you tube link on Sundays HAL still.

Graham xx.

I am Graham. Vaping has been a great help to me and I'll carry on until I think I can do without it - too soon yet though. 

I wish a very happy birthday to Fr David tomorrow. I must, and will, catch up with last Sunday's sermon.

Jane xx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline eats my blackcurrant lolly in Epicurean.

🍭

I eat almost all of the chocolates at the table.😋

Blackcurrant lolly? This list of things that @AndyMichelle and me were deprived of in Epicurean just doesn’t stop growing. 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Haha 10

Ahh - biscuitgate! We had one packet when we boarded on Ventura, didn’t get any more. John saw a steward after a couple of days (not ours) and she had biscuits on her trolley so he asked her if he could have some and she gave him a couple of packets!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

It was delicious! We were both surprised how lovely it was 

IMG_8748.jpeg

Nope we definitely didn’t have that and I also had to tell them that we hadn’t had the amuse bouche when the starter arrived. The more I think about it, our first night in Epicurean was poor, especially as there were so few of us in there, and I have said so on the ‘First Impressions’ form. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 13

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I am Graham. Vaping has been a great help to me and I'll carry on until I think I can do without it - too soon yet though. 

I wish a very happy birthday to Fr David tomorrow. I must, and will, catch up with last Sunday's sermon.

Jane xx

I'm pleased you are keeping off the cigs Jane.

It is the best thing you can do for your health.

It is 45 years since I stopped smoking.

Fortunately it was just before I met Pauline.

Graham xx

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Nope we definitely didn’t have that and I also had to tell them that we hadn’t had the amuse bouche when the starter arrived. The more I think about it, our first night in Epicurean was poor, especially as there were so few of us in there, and I have said so on the ‘First Impressions’ form. 

We didn't get an amuse buche at all, or blackcurrant lolly!!! 

Or maps, or biscuits, or water, or Claire Sweeney... 

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Funnily enough I booked the first night in Epicurean because of people such as yourself saying how hit and miss the first night in the MDR is!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

Funnily enough I booked the first night in Epicurean because of people such as yourself saying how hit and miss the first night in the MDR is!

First and last night I book on line when I can.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Here’s yet another Andy. Saw our cabin steward doing nightly cabin service on the nearby suites (they still have them) and mentioned that we had one packet of biscuits on day 1, which I’d eaten, and never seen another since. “Ah Sir. You get one on the first day but then they are by request only” 🤣 

On our first day on Arvia last month I said to our cabin steward that we prefer the butter ones rather than the coconut ones. Thereafter, we got six packets each day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Guilty as charged Sue 😂 The MDR usually is a bit chaotic on the first night. Epicurean was certainly relaxed and a nice way to spend the first evening, but the food was below par and, as happened with Andy as well, we were short changed with some of the touches that make it special. 

Ironically, we made loads of speciality restaurant bookings because of so many reports on here of the MDR being poor (app problems, small portions, patchy quality, cold meals etc), yet Epicurean and Sindhu were both below their best whereas, other than a long wait on Celebration night, we have been very pleased with the MDR. Admittedly we have only had one dinner in there so far, but we have used it for breakfast each day and a few lunches and it’s been fine 😂 

EDIT - We have only used the Peninsular MDR based on feedback from those who have been on Britannia recently, which might help explain why our MDR experience has been good so far. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 4

DAY 4

This was going to be the most scenic day of the cruise as we were calling at Skjolden, which is at the end of the longest fjord in Norway. Having woken up at 0445 and noticing that we were already in the fjord, I decided not to go back to sleep and to watch the transit, especially as this is the only place during the entire cruise that we haven’t been to before. Whilst the Norwegian fjords are amongst the most scenic places in Europe, it’s ironic that the inward cruise down the fjord is missed by almost all the passengers, as most of it happens whilst people are still asleep, and the outbound cruise is missed by many due to dinner etc. 

The tranquility of the fjords is magical and at around 0530 we passed a Silver Seas cruise ship that was heading off down a different branch of the fjord. According to Horizon we weren’t due to berth until 0930 but we arrived around 2 hours earlier. I had read that there is now a SeaWalk here, but we berthed at the cruise pier and I didn’t see the SeaWalk when we were in the centre later. 

After breakfast in the Peninsular restaurant we sorted ourselves out and decided to have a wander into the village. An overcast day but still quite mild, and the darkened skies added quite a spectacle to the already dramatic scenery. As with most fjord ports, Skjolden is tiny. The centre was basically a hotel and a small store plus a couple of tourist related places, but not much else. The walk to and from the ship is a pleasant level path alongside the waters edge, past some holiday lodges. We noticed that all the cars parked at the lodges were from Belgium and Netherlands, plus one from Germany. There is a lively river cascading down from the mountains into the fjord and separate pedestrian and vehicle bridges across it. We walked as far as a viewpoint from where I posted the photo yesterday. After an hour we’d pretty much seen everything and wandered back to the ship. A very relaxing and easy visit to a lovely place. 

I picked up a Britain Today paper and we just relaxed on board until lunch, back in the Peninsular restaurant. Yet again, we were called within minutes of joining the virtual queue, even though we ask for a table for 2 with the wheelchair user box ticked. I had vegetarian sushi as a starter and it was absolutely delicious. The nicest I’ve ever had in fact. There was a hilarious moment thereafter when my pie arrived. It was meant to be shortcrust pastry, but was unlike any pastry I have ever eaten in my life, but not in a good way! I can’t really describe it, but balsa wood probably comes closest. I forced my wife to sample a small piece of it and her face was a picture 😂 Thankfully the pie filling and veg were all lovely, as was the pud (rhubarb and ginger crumble). Once again, the food was served piping hot. The waiter had asked what we wanted for desert when we first ordered, but a polite “we will decide what we’d like once we’ve had our main course” is always accepted.

A quiet afternoon reading before the sailaway. Gliding along a fjord is always a special experience and reminded me of why I always say to people who are debating whether or not a cruise is right for them that a 7 night fjord cruise is the best first cruise. Not too long (if you don’t like it) but long enough (if you do), spectacular scenery and usually affordable prices. Unfortunately the cloud cover got worse and the weather started to draw in, so what could have been a whole evening of scenic cruising got a bit murky. Still much better than just looking at the sea though.

Dinner was booked for the Beach House. When our kids were young we always dined

early to suit them. Many parents nowadays dine when it suits them, rather than the little ones, and don’t seem to be at all bothered that their kids are over tired. Also, on the rare occasion that one of ours would start creating or crying, one of us would take them out of the restaurant until they had calmed down, so as not to spoil the experience for other diners. Rarely is such courtesy shown these days and, sure enough, one little tot spent virtually the whole evening crying. Suddenly, Aurora was looking more attractive again 😂

Thankfully the food was better than the ambiance. I had nachos with chorizo which was lovely. My wife didn’t want a starter again (such a lightweight) but I forced her to order the Hush Puppies, as the description sounds right up my street, but I remember having them years ago and they were rubbish. They still are 😂. Both our mains were absolutely superb. My wife had the seafood skewer and I had the fillet steak cooked on lava stone. I rarely eat steak but every time I’ve had one in the Beach House it’s been 10/10 and this was no exception. Deserts are a weak point of the Beach House menu IMHO, a menu which hasn’t changed since as long as I can remember. My wife didn’t have one and I just asked for a few scoops of ice cream which was quite enough after the steak.

Our intention was to end the day with the Pulse rock show, which had been recommended but, even though we got there around 25 mins before show time, the place was rammed and there was nowhere suitable for us to sit, especially with the wheelchair. It was also very noisy in there (reminded me why we’d had noise issues in an aft suite 2 decks above the Live Lounge some years ago on Britannia) and, looking around, I think there were a few in there who perhaps were getting their moneys worth from the drinks package 😂 We decided that it wasn’t for us so retired for the evening.

All in all, another pleasant day. Next stop Andalsnes.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 4

This was going to be the most scenic day of the cruise as we were calling at Skjolden, which is at the end of the longest fjord in Norway. Having woken up at 0445 and noticing that we were already in the fjord, I decided not to go back to sleep and to watch the transit, especially as this is the only place during the entire cruise that we haven’t been to before. Whilst the Norwegian fjords are amongst the most scenic places in Europe, it’s ironic that the inward cruise down the fjord is missed by almost all the passengers, as most of it happens whilst people are still asleep, and the outbound cruise is missed by many due to dinner etc. 

The tranquility of the fjords is magical and at around 0530 we passed a Silver Seas cruise ship that was heading off down a different branch of the fjord. According to Horizon we weren’t due to berth until 0930 but we arrived around 2 hours earlier. I had read that there is now a SeaWalk here, but we berthed at the cruise pier and I didn’t see the SeaWalk when we were in the centre later. 

After breakfast in the Peninsular restaurant we sorted ourselves out and decided to have a wander into the village. An overcast day but still quite mild, and the darkened skies added quite a spectacle to the already dramatic scenery. As with most fjord ports, Skjolden is tiny. The centre was basically a hotel and a small store plus a couple of tourist related places, but not much else. The walk to and from the ship is a pleasant level path alongside the waters edge, past some holiday lodges. We noticed that all the cars parked at the lodges were from Belgium and Netherlands, plus one from Germany. There is a lively river cascading down from the mountains into the fjord and separate pedestrian and vehicle bridges across it. We walked as far as a viewpoint from where I posted the photo yesterday. After an hour we’d pretty much seen everything and wandered back to the ship. A very relaxing and easy visit to a lovely place. 

I picked up a Britain Today paper and we just relaxed on board until lunch, back in the Peninsular restaurant. Yet again, we were called within minutes of joining the virtual queue, even though we ask for a table for 2 with the wheelchair user box ticked. I had vegetarian sushi as a starter and it was absolutely delicious. The nicest I’ve ever had in fact. There was a hilarious moment thereafter when my pie arrived. It was meant to be shortcrust pastry, but was unlike any pastry I have ever eaten in my life, but not in a good way! I can’t really describe it, but balsa wood probably comes closest. I forced my wife to sample a small piece of it and her face was a picture 😂 Thankfully the pie filling and veg were all lovely, as was the pud (rhubarb and ginger crumble). Once again, the food was served piping hot. The waiter had asked what we wanted for desert when we first ordered, but a polite “we will decide what we’d like once we’ve had our main course” is always accepted.

A quiet afternoon reading before the sailaway. Gliding along a fjord is always a special experience and reminded me of why I always say to people who are debating whether or not a cruise is right for them that a 7 night fjord cruise is the best first cruise. Not too long (if you don’t like it) but long enough (if you do), spectacular scenery and usually affordable prices. Unfortunately the cloud cover got worse and the weather started to draw in, so what could have been a whole evening of scenic cruising got a bit murky. Still much better than just looking at the sea though.

early to suit them. Many parents nowadays dine when it suits them, rather than the little ones, and don’t seem to be at all bothered that their kids are over tired. Also, on the rare occasion that one of ours would start creating or crying, one of us would take them out of the restaurant until they had calmed down, so as not to spoil the experience for other diners. Rarely is such courtesy shown these days and, sure enough, one little tot spent virtually the whole evening crying. Suddenly, Aurora was looking more attractive again 😂

Thankfully the food was better than the ambiance. I had nachos with chorizo which was lovely. My wife didn’t want a starter again (such a lightweight) but I forced her to order the Hush Puppies, as the description sounds right up my street, but I remember having them years ago and they were rubbish. They still are 😂. Both our mains were absolutely superb. My wife had the seafood skewer and I had the fillet steak cooked on lava stone. I rarely eat steak but every time I’ve had one in the Beach House it’s been 10/10 and this was no exception. Deserts are a weak point of the Beach House menu IMHO, a menu which hasn’t changed since as long as I can remember. My wife didn’t have one and I just asked for a few scoops of ice cream which was quite enough after the steak.

Our intention was to end the day with the Pulse rock show, which had been recommended but, even though we got there around 25 mins before show time, the place was rammed and there was nowhere suitable for us to sit, especially with the wheelchair. It was also very noisy in there (reminded me why we’d had noise issues in an aft suite 2 decks above the Live Lounge some years ago on Britannia) and, looking around, I think there were a few in there who perhaps were getting their moneys worth from the drinks package 😂 We decided that it wasn’t for us so retired for the evening.

Skjolden sounds lovely, our type of place. 

Some of the niggles you are having reflect our experience and, although I wish you didn't have to put up with them, I'm also glad it wasn't only us as we seemed to be the only ones on our cruise being bothered by screaming kids and rowdy passengers. 

But, as you said before, there is so much good to enjoy, it easily outweighs the bad. 

Thank you for reporting in, we appreciate it. 

Andy 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Skjolden sounds lovely, our type of place. 

Some of the niggles you are having reflect our experience and, although I wish you didn't have to put up with them, I'm also glad it wasn't only us as we seemed to be the only ones on our cruise being bothered by screaming kids and rowdy passengers. 

But, as you said before, there is so much good to enjoy, it easily outweighs the bad. 

Thank you for reporting in, we appreciate it. 

Andy 

To be fair, nobody was being particularly rowdy, but I’ll just be polite and say that it was obvious that one or two people were approaching their daily limit on the drinks package 😂 Nothing of concern, but we dislike crowded and noisy places. 

There aren’t as many kids on here as we expected (or they are well hidden) and as it’s a family ship we don’t have a problem with them. It’s the poor parenting that grates at times when the preferences of the parents are put ahead of what is best for the youngsters, and dining late with little ones comes into that category IMHO. The kids in the cabin next to us crash and bang around a lot and let the cabin door slam, which is irritating, but we are sleeping OK which is the most important thing. 

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 4

Another enjoyable and unbiased review @Selbourne.

Thank you.

Graham 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Here’s yet another Andy. Saw our cabin steward doing nightly cabin service on the nearby suites (they still have them) and mentioned that we had one packet of biscuits on day 1, which I’d eaten, and never seen another since. “Ah Sir. You get one on the first day but then they are by request only” 🤣 

Unless they have changed them again (which I don't think they have) there's one thing I won't be requesting. They can keep the rich tea in posh packaging and I'll take my own...😁

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Unless they have changed them again (which I don't think they have) there's one thing I won't be requesting. They can keep the rich tea in posh packaging and I'll take my own...😁

Yep, that’s a fair description 😂 IMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.e3c0a9d5888ab96879a2c2d456111be9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 4

I so agree with you about sailing up a fjord. Gliding silently down Geirangerfjord early one September morning with ribbons of mist stretched across the width of the fjord and hardly anyone else out on the open decks is a lovely, enduring memory I have.

I'm visiting Skjolden on my Aurora cruise and have booked a half-day excursion, which should be nice.

• Like 3

LIFTS!

There is a problem that is beginning to cause a lot of consternation amongst my fellow passengers at present. As many of you will know, Britannia has a major design flaw in that there are no stairs midships, so even able bodied folk just moving between one or two floors have to use a lift. Usually this is just an inconvenience but, for the last few days, we have had 2 of the 6 midships lifts out of action. This is causing real problems at peak times in ports. Full lifts aren’t stopping, those that do stop are also full and waits are getting quite long. A number of passengers are getting quite vocal about this. The added problem that we have is that wheelchair users can only disembark via the midships exit 🙄. We are going to try to get off soon. Wish me luck 🤞

• Like 13