From the Seabourn President.

fudge

14 hours ago, markham said:

Then you have those renowned prima donnas eg the one who commands compliant Colonnade staff to carry her lunch plates for her to other decks. Which sorta gives the impression that Seabourn allows/encourages somehow an “anything goes” atmosphere that either Silversea or its passengers do not want/wouldn’t tolerate. 

THIS comment made me giggle. I am pretty sure you weren't on the World Cruise, but this person you are mentioning was.....(only for part of it thankfully) . She had certainly graduated from the carrying plates to other decks, it also became, fetch 10 towels and 10 cushions, then turn a chair into a sultans lounge. Two or three staff just to serve her lunch. The majority of the Seabourn passengers didn't tolerate her antics, but there were a couple sided with her or made excuses. Those who drank Evian water weren't happy when supplies ran low, but of course ~one particular person~ had many bottles delivered to her suite for hair washing! Yes, I have seen the odd Prima Donna, but this one really took the cake!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

Just so you know, as of around June 11th, The Restaurant is open for lunch every day on Seabourn ships.  I was very grateful for this.  

Hi Susan, and I know we experienced the restaurant open on daily on our sailing with you.  And, the restaurant manager told me, as he told you, that this was a fleet wide change as of late June.  However, I’ve been closely monitoring the Source app for our Odyssey sailing coming up in August and I’ve found the lunch menu to say Closed nearly every day, one hopes it’s a failure to post the menu, but it appears the “fleet wide” comment we heard on Ovation may not have been correct.  Look for a reality post from me sometime after August 11.  We, like you, use the restaurant as a first option whenever it’s available.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Hi Susan, and I know we experienced the restaurant open on daily on our sailing with you.  And, the restaurant manager told me, as he told you, that this was a fleet wide change as of late June.  However, I’ve been closely monitoring the Source app for our Odyssey sailing coming up in August and I’ve found the lunch menu to say Closed nearly every day, one hopes it’s a failure to post the menu, but it appears the “fleet wide” comment we heard on Ovation may not have been correct.  Look for a reality post from me sometime after August 11.  We, like you, use the restaurant as a first option whenever it’s available.

Jon

I will wait for your first hand report of this.  If the restaurant is not going to be open for breakfast and lunch, I would probably be more included to seriously consider Silversea.   I'm glad you heard the same thing I did--so I was not mistaken in reporting what I was told.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We also prefer lunch in the MDR.  I don't care for buffets at all.  Our experience with Seabourn has been very inconsistent in this regard.  Our last cruise ( pre Covid) it was open every day for lunch and dinner.  It was the first part of the 2020 world cruise so perhaps that made a difference.  In 2017 when we did Antarctica and South Georgia it was also open every day for breakfast and lunch.  On other cruises it’s been hit or miss.  I’m wondering if part of the decision is up to the captain?

We travel more by land than cruise, but  our next cruise is in April 2024 on pursuit from Papette to Guam.  It’s 30 days and I’ve read the Colonade is a zoo on Venture.   Does  anyone know if they open the MDR for lunch on the expedition ships?  I’m hoping so.  And hopefully what you heard on the Norway cruise is the direction they are going.  After all they need to compete with SS and Regent who always have the MDR open for all meals!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Jon

We were on the Odyssey from June 19 to 30. The restaurant was opened on all sea days, but closed on port days. We had lunch at the restaurant once, and there are only 2 tables occupied, including us. Just a data point, I don't want to get involved in another restuarant luch discussion.

• Thanks 2

On 7/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, DTtravelers said:

Shore excursions cramming 50 people on a bus might work for Holland America, but not for Seabourn.  So improved small group shore excursions would be very welcome. 

We are not ship excursions people. Not at all. On our first Seabourn recently we decided to chance booking two due to remote ports with little attraction to stay locally. Both were dismal. No better than Viking, which are no better than mass cruise lines in our opinion. We said, once again, no more. 
it would be nice to have options that are not too price exorbitant, but truly offer a step up. Somewhere near what one gets when booking private small group tours. 

2 hours ago, CalmSea said:

We were on the Odyssey from June 19 to 30. The restaurant was opened on all sea days, but closed on port days. We had lunch at the restaurant once, and there are only 2 tables occupied, including us. Just a data point, I don't want to get involved in another restuarant luch discussion.

Our our Ovation cruise June 11to 25, the Restaurant was open all days for breakfast and for lunch and I think there were about 17 tables filled on the last day we had lunch there.  We arrived at about 12:45 and it was quite busy.  I hope that people discover that it is a wonderful place for lunch.  

• Like 1

2seabournsailors,

The self-proclaimed queen of your world cruise is well known among us old timers. For far too long…

I have witnessed her berate and insult crew, and by reporting her actions immediately afterward to the HD and GSM I have done everyone, including the victimized crew member a favor, in my estimation. However, no one at Seabourn seems to mind even though she perennially causes so much aggravation and distraction. You can only deduce that Seabourn HDs are frightened of her, they fail to report upward these incidents, and/or head office does not consider it their role to get involved/approve any ship officer’s reports and/or recommendations - as they must do whenever there might be a documented case of physical assault on board.

The bottom line is “who needs any of this” and how long will it take, if ever, for Seabourn to recognize that their brand is being compromised by fits and starts. Not sure about that? Then I’d ask how such behaviors enhance the brand. The downside for Seabourn is one less fare but a savings on staff time, towels, dish washing and Evian water, and an improvement in staff morale and calm, once and for all. Simple as that.

By the way, the same discussion can follow about these so-called support dogs irritating passengers and cleaning staff.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, texanaust said:

This is a very interesting post and is why Seabourn has a difficult time 'threading the needle.' 

Personally, almost all of your 'improvements' I would be against.  In fact Seabourn removing the table cloths would be a red line for us.  We would take our business elsewhere if that were to happen.  SB has already removed the candles and fresh flowers...taking the table cloths would be the last straw.

As for changing the dining hours to later, perhaps a more European cruise line would be preferable for you.  Most SB clientele like to eat earlier and I imagine a fair few would prefer the Restaurant to open even earlier than 7pm.  Since the crew can only work so much, the current dining hours are the compromise.  

We’re quite happy with Seabourn and no have intention of changing to a European cruise line.  If you had been on the Encore Iin May with 250 corporate guests from Mexico on board who often descended on the .restaurant at closing time and then the hours the staff had to work until they finished, maybe you would understand that your generalization like SB guests prefer to eat early may not br the view of everybody.

It is not an easy problem to solve - many US citizens apparently like to have their evening meal even as early as 5 p.m.; most Spanish and South Americans prefer not earlier than 9.  Only by having two shifts of wait and galley staff can any small line cope with this, with staff working from perhaps 4  until 11 p.m. or later.

1 hour ago, markham said:

2seabournsailors,

The self-proclaimed queen of your world cruise is well known among us old timers. For far too long…

I have witnessed her berate and insult crew, and by reporting her actions immediately afterward to the HD and GSM I have done everyone, including the victimized crew member a favor, in my estimation. However, no one at Seabourn seems to mind even though she perennially causes so much aggravation and distraction. You can only deduce that Seabourn HDs are frightened of her, they fail to report upward these incidents, and/or head office does not consider it their role to get involved/approve any ship officer’s reports and/or recommendations - as they must do whenever there might be a documented case of physical assault on board.

The bottom line is “who needs any of this” and how long will it take, if ever, for Seabourn to recognize that their brand is being compromised by fits and starts. Not sure about that? Then I’d ask how such behaviors enhance the brand. The downside for Seabourn is one less fare but a savings on staff time, towels, dish washing and Evian water, and an improvement in staff morale and calm, once and for all. Simple as that.

By the way, the same discussion can follow about these so-called support dogs irritating passengers and cleaning staff.

Why no other passengers confronted her? Just get a bunch of people shouting back at her....

14 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Seabourn is way more friendlier.

Silversea has very good newer ships.

Silversea has very poor entertainment nowhere near as hood as Seabourn.

Both are excellent cruise lines.

I agree, Silversea has terribly amateurish entertainment.  It makes the show's on Seabourn seem like West End productions.  The current singers on the Spirit are so bad that almost every guest I encounter brings them up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texanaust said:

I agree, Silversea has terribly amateurish entertainment.  It makes the show's on Seabourn seem like West End productions.  The current singers on the Spirit are so bad that almost every guest I encounter brings them up.

Sounds like you need a passenger talent show.

Those were the days 😀

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Sounds like you need a passenger talent show.

Those were the days 😀

We had a crew talent show in the Grand Salon on the Grand Pacific voyage last year, it was fab!

The guy who makes the appetizers in the Club in the evening, was brilliant with a guitar solo.  One of the Spa staff became something else (hard to explain!) and sang their heart out.  One of the Officers had the whole place rocking, she was nervous but nailed it!  

A great night, I hope SB continue to do this sort of thing, there's a lot of talent amongst the crew!  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, markham said:

Mr Luxury,

Passenger shows? What a hoot!

Which reminds me, are you still doing your act with your musical spoons?

No,I have progressed to knife throwing.

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

It is not an easy problem to solve - many US citizens apparently like to have their evening meal even as early as 5 p.m.; most Spanish and South Americans prefer not earlier than 9.  Only by having two shifts of wait and galley staff can any small line cope with this, with staff working from perhaps 4  until 11 p.m. or later.

Five pm?  There is tea, room service and caviar for that.  Surely, that tides the really early diners over.  And then, the dining room opened at 6:45 on our recent Ovation cruise.  I noted that Encore's dining room didn't open until seven.  I think SB is striking a decent compromise for early and late diners.  

• Like 2

So do I.  I found it hard to believe when told by some US passengers that they ate at home at 5 or 5.30, and expected to do that on a ship as well.  I imagine that this could work fine on one of the huge ships with lots of restaurants and cafes, where there is probably something open all day.  My personal choice is early - ideally 7.30  to give time for a couple of cocktails.  And I do like to make the evening meal last a while, several courses, taken fairly slowly.  Officers'  hosted tables are usually at 7.30.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2seabournsailors said:

THIS comment made me giggle. I am pretty sure you weren't on the World Cruise, but this person you are mentioning was.....(only for part of it thankfully) . She had certainly graduated from the carrying plates to other decks, it also became, fetch 10 towels and 10 cushions, then turn a chair into a sultans lounge. Two or three staff just to serve her lunch. The majority of the Seabourn passengers didn't tolerate her antics, but there were a couple sided with her or made excuses. Those who drank Evian water weren't happy when supplies ran low, but of course ~one particular person~ had many bottles delivered to her suite for hair washing! Yes, I have seen the odd Prima Donna, but this one really took the cake!

Did the yaks milk also run out.

I know she likes to bathe in it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

Our our Ovation cruise June 11to 25, the Restaurant was open all days for breakfast and for lunch and I think there were about 17 tables filled on the last day we had lunch there.  We arrived at about 12:45 and it was quite busy.  I hope that people discover that it is a wonderful place for lunch.  

It is the only place that you will find me at breakfast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Five pm?  There is tea, room service and caviar for that.  Surely, that tides the really early diners over.  And then, the dining room opened at 6:45 on our recent Ovation cruise.  I noted that Encore's dining room didn't open until seven.  I think SB is striking a decent compromise for early and late diners.  

I have never seen anyone lying on deck with malnutrition. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, markham said:

2seabournsailors,

Markham, I am assuming this person was not on our cruise aboard Sojourn from Kobe to Vancouver in 2019.