Unable to use American for cruise

NMTraveller

Lately American has been changing my flight schedules so much that I have to rebook with another airline.  For example I book a 10 AM flight and they reschedule for 2 PM.  Are others running into this issue?  This is the second time that this has been done to me.

Yes  many airlines  are  switching the flight times

Have had mine changed  with AC recently

Are you flying in the  same day as the cruise??

You may want to fly in a a day or more earlier   in case of more flight disruptions

I am flying in a day or so earlier for the flight out.  But I have an international connecting flight that I will not be late to.  A 4 hour time change is too much.

On the flight back a 4 hour time change causes me to have to reschedule for another day.  Flights are disappearing from the American schedule.

I had to cancel two American flights this morning.  A 2 hour time change is not significant.  A 4 hour time change is!

28 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Lately American has been changing my flight schedules so much that I have to rebook with another airline.  For example I book a 10 AM flight and they reschedule for 2 PM.  Are others running into this issue?  This is the second time that this has been done to me.

OMG...the second time.

And when your new airline changes their schedule, will you be going back to AA?

Just what are these routes and dates?  We can look and see just what's happening.

I don't think this is being "unable" to use American - more like you are choosing not to.

13 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I don't think this is being "unable" to use American - more like you are choosing not to.

Would you use American when your flight schedule changes by 4 hours?  You are correct.  I am not 4 hour flexible.  And I will not take a flight that is not nonstop when I can drive there faster...

The new airline has a bunch more nonstop flights going there...

Edited by NMTraveller

30 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Would you use American when your flight schedule changes by 4 hours?

I regularly use airlines that change their schedules - and sometimes it's by more than 4 hours.

I've learned how to roll with the punches and be adaptable.

33 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And I will not take a flight that is not nonstop when I can drive there faster...

A personal choice that necessarily restricts your options.

34 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And since we have no idea where "there" is, or what this "new airline" is, informed discussion of your situation becomes impossible.

Seems more and more like this is a personal complaint with little relevance to many.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I am flying in a day or so earlier for the flight out.  But I have an international connecting flight that I will not be late to.  A 4 hour time change is too much.

48 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Do you have two separate bookings for the two flights? If the two flights are on the same booking, then you should have a lot more options that don't require you to abandon one flight altogether.

But if you chose to make two separate bookings, then that choice will inevitably limit your options when one flight is rescheduled and you refuse to be a bit flexible.

In any case, "other airlines are available" - and if the alternative airline that you've picked has more non-stop flights, then I'm not sure what your complaint is?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

This is the second time that this has been done to me.

That sentence makes it sound as if it's a personal affront.  ALL airlines change schedules, it's nothing new and it happens every day.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

That sentence makes it sound as if it's a personal affront.  ALL airlines change schedules, it's nothing new and it happens every day.

It is just when you get a 2 to 4 hour change and you are on a tight schedule,  it is unworkable.  On our last American trip we were on a flight and had to be home for others coming into our home city.  They added 3 hours to our travel plans.  Yes we have booked two trips on American and they both/ALL were modified substantially.  My idea of fun is not spending all day in an airport.

Other airlines changed schedules and I do fly other airlines.  It is just with American that my changes have been so LARGE.

I get that American is cancelling flights so that their schedule is more stable and they have less last minute cancellations,  but  it is excessive IMHO. 

I suppose that if I do book American I must make sure that they have a bunch of flights going to the destination as I know that one or more of them will get cancelled and they will move me to another flight.  Their schedules are merely placeholders and are not anything close to reality.

I just got a bunch of 10 minute schedule changes for my other flights on other airlines.  Do you think I care about these?  No.

Edited by NMTraveller

45 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I get that American is cancelling flights so that their schedule is more stable and they have less last minute cancellations,  but it is excessive IMHO.

And there you have it.

Still with no details.  I'm filing this under "unspecific rant" and moving on.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And there you have it.

I have already cancelled my American flights and booked with another airline.  I have moved on also.  Lesson learned on my part with American...  Don't book unless they have multiple alternate flights that you would be willing to fly.

Edited by NMTraveller

I know this is going to shock some people, but in 2019 we had a non-stop booked SFO-MIA, getting us in at about 5pm. A couple months in advance, UA canceled the non-stop, and put us on a one connection route that arrived about 10:30pm. We immediately canceled, for a full refund, and booked an AA non-stop that got us in at about 3:30. Cost us about 15% more because the cheaper fare buckets were sold out.

Amazing I know, but other airlines change flight times too. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And there you have it.

I will tell you that both sets of flights with the LARGE reschedules were not flying into DFW.  Perhaps that is reason for the frequent and LARGE schedule changes.

I think that you guys have set a very very low bar for airline expectations...

Edited by NMTraveller

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It is just when you get a 2 to 4 hour change and you are on a tight schedule,  it is unworkable.

If your schedule is so tight that this is "unworkable", then maybe air travel is not for you?

A rescheduled flight, a faulty part, an air traffic control breakdown, a bad weather event at some place you're not flying to that affects your aircraft ... the list is endless, and any one of those things can easily set your plans awry by 2, 4, 6 or 24 hours.

People who fly a lot or know the industry well - including those you are criticising - set their expectations according to experience, and they develop enough resilience to deal with the problems that inevitably arise, often through nobody's fault. If you think American has been unique in disrespecting you on this occasion, then you really just haven't flown other airlines enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

If your schedule is so tight that this is "unworkable", then maybe air travel is not for you?

A rescheduled flight, a faulty part, an air traffic control breakdown, a bad weather event at some place you're not flying to that affects your aircraft ... the list is endless, and any one of those things can easily set your plans awry by 2, 4, 6 or 24 hours.

People who fly a lot or know the industry well - including those you are criticising - set their expectations according to experience, and they develop enough resilience to deal with the problems that inevitably arise, often through nobody's fault. If you think American has been unique in disrespecting you on this occasion, then you really just haven't flown other airlines enough.

I have had many successful flights on other airlines.  American is the only one that is rescheduling the reschedules with 4 hour schedule changes for me this year.

But when I am consistently rescheduled for a flight by 4 hours with American why hang around?  I know that there are potentials for other delays,  but why bother booking with them when you know your booking will be changed by 4 hours?

It is like driving in a race but you do not start at the start line you are starting 4 hours behind everyone else.

With American I could get my flight rescheduled by 4 hours AND then a flight delay.  Why tolerate delay after delay after delay?

Again why set the bar so very very low for who gets your airline dollars?

What airlines are you all flying with that changes your flight schedule by 4 hours for all of your trips this year?  What airline continuously reschedules your flight to where you have to call 2 or 3 times to book a different flight?  It is tiring...

Edited by NMTraveller

50 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

It is not just one occasion but multiple occassions or 100%.

Perhaps your expectations are very very low for air travel.

I understand some of the difficulties during the pandemic,  but I do not expect them to last forever...

Edited by NMTraveller

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It is not just one occasion but multiple occassions or 100%.

Perhaps your expectations are very very low for air travel.

So... it was 100% of two times?

Quelle horreur!!

However, you obviously don't like American Airlines, so equally obviously, you should fly with other airlines... and hope you have better luck.

When these things happen, it isn't because the airline *wants* to disrupt their service (or any specific passenger's, such as yourself..."This is the second time that this has been done to me.") and all of the passengers (who need to get rescheduled, etc.), plus the connecting flights/etc., just like you were experiencing.

GC

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I have had many successful flights on other airlines.  American is the only one that is rescheduling the reschedules with 4 hour schedule changes for me this year

And we still don't know what route this is happening to.  You might actually get some kind of explanation if you give more details.  Or is it just to rant and complain about AA?

We get it.  You don't like AA.  You don't like what AA has done...to you.  But we have yet to hear of a specific flight change that was so egregious.

• Like 2

If AA doesn't work for you, you should choose another airline that never has schedule changes, delays, crew time outs, weather cancelations, baggage delays, etc.  Please come back and post when you find that airline.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

If AA doesn't work for you, you should choose another airline that never has schedule changes, delays, crew time outs, weather cancelations, baggage delays, etc.  Please come back and post when you find that airline.

I never said that the other airlines never had delays.

Every heard of 3 strikes and you are out?  Well American had 4 strikes in 2 full round trips.  When they are always muffing schedules up ...

It has been a rather uneventful flying season for me except for American scheduling, and rescheduling, and rescheduling, and rescheduling.

I have flown other airlines this year and they were on time and without the crazy scheduling.

I should ask you how many schedule muff ups would it take for you to switch airlines?  Is not 4 out of 4 enough?

BTW which airlines do you work for?  American? 🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller

And we still don't know what route this is happening to.  You might actually get some kind of explanation if you give more details.  Or is it just to rant and complain about AA?

We get it.  You don't like AA.  You don't like what AA has done...to you.  But we have yet to hear of a specific flight change that was so egregious.

It happened LAS to MYR and LAS TO LAX.  Two full round trips where all 4 depart/arrivals were heavily changed.

The first one I flew.  The second one I cancelled.  I will give most airlines a chance, but ...

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

It happened LAS to MYR and LAS TO LAX.  Two full round trips where all 4 depart/arrivals were heavily changed.

Let's see....AA flies 7 flights a day from LAS to CLT, and then 9 flights a day into MYR.  And yet there was an over 4 hour schedule change. Wonder where they found the space to put in a 4 hour gap.  Hmmm, that's very interesting, as Arte Johnson would say.

LAX from LAS is only a 4x frequency, so possible.  But that's likely explained because AA has put two of those in the morning and two in the early evening -- when demand out of LAS would be.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's see....AA flies 7 flights a day from LAS to CLT, and then 9 flights a day into MYR.  And yet there was an over 4 hour schedule change. Wonder where they found the space to put in a 4 hour gap.  Hmmm, that's very interesting, as Arte Johnson would say.

LAX from LAS is only a 4x frequency, so possible.  But that's likely explained because AA has put two of those in the morning and two in the early evening -- when demand out of LAS would be.

I don't know how to politely say this,  but comparing the current flight schedule to what was ACTUALLY FLOWN and scheduled over the holiday weekend is a silly exercise that has ZERO relevance.  I did not originally give you the locations as I knew that you could not provide anything meaningful with them.

You thought that you had your gotcha moment,  but all that the current flights show is what was available before American changed the schedule and moved airplanes for the holiday weekend.  I would have been very happy (and this thread would not exist)  if they kept the current schedule in place over the holiday weekend.  I would have made it to LAS 5.5 hours earlier.  Not 4 hours but 5.5...

I am someone that books 330 days out to get the best available flights and seats.

Sigh.

Regarding the LAS to LAX flights they previously  had quite a few more flights available before the cancellations and revised schedule.  This flight was also around the upcoming holidays.

I could post my original flights and revised flights but that would just lead to a game of 100 more questions.

Edited by NMTraveller

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

...  but why bother booking with them when you know your booking will be changed by 4 hours?

You don't.

You're being hysterical about this. You've had two - merely two - trips on which your flight times were changed, and now you seem to be spinning this into some sort of "American Airlines will do this to everyone on every single trip" story. That's complete cry-baby rubbish.

• Haha 1