Checked In Luggage on Five Night Cruise

mmbrad02

We sail on the Freedom in 12 days - so excited.  We are flying in, and plan for each of us to have (by airline standards) one checked suitcase and one carry on size suitcase.  We planned to check all of these bags in at the cruise terminal.  However, upon check in this weekend for our cruise, the luggage tags indicate we can only check in 1 bag each.  Is this enforced?  Can we print double tags and check them all in, or should we plan to each tote our carry on suitcase around with us?  Thanks!

You are allowed to check as many bags as you would like. BUT, and this is a big one, absolutely have at least ONE ship carry-on for things like your Passports, medication, etc.  Never hand everything you have to the porters curbside.

What we typically do is cruise with a backpack for that critically important stuff that truly can't ever leave your possession.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention that yes we will keep one bag for our party with all those things you mentioned 🙂 We just didn't really want to tote around 3 airplane carry ons if we could avoid it.  So just use our same luggage tag, printed multiple times?

• Like 1

Is there language that indicates this or are you implying the 1 bag rule because they only "include" one luggage tag in the base paperwork?

Historically you can print as many copies as you want, but maybe they recently added language to the contrary. this was not the case in March on my last cruise.

Tis is a copy and paste from the PDF sheet with our luggage tag.  I bolded the part that caught my attention and prompted this post....

Your Carnival Luggage Tag Instructions Please print your name on each luggage tag and fold along the lines with the information facing out (ship's name, etc., should be visible). Once folded, staple or tape the tag around your luggage handle BEFORE you arrive at the cruise terminal. Please limit checked luggage to no more than two bags per person for cruises of six days or more and a maximum of one suitcase per person for cruises of five days or less. Each bag must not weigh more than 50 pounds . Checked luggage service is only available until two hours before the ship's published departure time. Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board. Bon Voyage!

Our cruise is 5 days.

Yes, it's a request, not a requirement. But as a frequent traveler, I can tell you that if you pack prudently, what Carnival is requesting is usually plenty. More than that, and it's just more stuff to keep track of. I get it if you need the space for medical devices, etc., but no one cares if you wear the same outfit to the MDR more than once. 

• Like 1

So @mmbrad02, the plan is for 4 suitcases (2 full sized, 2 carry-on) plus a backpack for 2 people for a 5 night cruise?  While I'm 100% confident no porter or ship steward will say a word, I'd really encourage you to try to take less. The space savings in your cabin alone will be worth it.

We did a 13 night Alaska land/sea (requiring tons of bulky stuff) with 1 full sized, 2 carry-on and 2 backpacks.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

Okay let me back up 🙂 For what it's worth this is our fourth cruise so not total newbies; however, our last cruise was 2014 on Carnival so I have forgotten all of the rules and some of the embarkation processes (the last two were other cruise lines)  We are flying Allegiant (first time) and have purchased a checked in suitcase, a carry on bag, and a of course we can have a personal item, for the flight.  We did this because we would rather have a little extra luggage than not enough.  

I have not started packing for my family of 3, but there are also 7 others coming in our party, with the same purchased amount of luggage.  So while I did say we would all have a carry on suitcase, that may change just depending on what things look like when we actually start packing.  It may end up being a full size suitcase, a backpack, and purse for some, while a few families may have some people who do indeed have the two suitcase situation.  I just kind of went with the worst case scenario when I posted my question I guess.  Regardless of our size of bags, after our flight (coming in the day before), my family of 3 would prefer to only carry a backpack or something onboard ourselves, so we would still be checking two bags for two of us, potentially.  They just might not be actual suitcases.  

I will say, we do dress up for formal night, and some of us like to change out for dinner (still casual clothes, but less sweaty and fresh), etc.  However like many of you stated, the cabin does get small and I loathe the packing up at the end, so I do try to keep everything within reason.

I do truly appreciate your responses and help!  If we *do* have two bags each to check in, can I print our current tag twice or do I have to get a new tag from the porter for the second bag, anyone know?

45 minutes ago, mmbrad02 said:

Okay let me back up 🙂 For what it's worth this is our fourth cruise so not total newbies; however, our last cruise was 2014 on Carnival so I have forgotten all of the rules and some of the embarkation processes (the last two were other cruise lines)  We are flying Allegiant (first time) and have purchased a checked in suitcase, a carry on bag, and a of course we can have a personal item, for the flight.  We did this because we would rather have a little extra luggage than not enough.  

I have not started packing for my family of 3, but there are also 7 others coming in our party, with the same purchased amount of luggage.  So while I did say we would all have a carry on suitcase, that may change just depending on what things look like when we actually start packing.  It may end up being a full size suitcase, a backpack, and purse for some, while a few families may have some people who do indeed have the two suitcase situation.  I just kind of went with the worst case scenario when I posted my question I guess.  Regardless of our size of bags, after our flight (coming in the day before), my family of 3 would prefer to only carry a backpack or something onboard ourselves, so we would still be checking two bags for two of us, potentially.  They just might not be actual suitcases.  

I will say, we do dress up for formal night, and some of us like to change out for dinner (still casual clothes, but less sweaty and fresh), etc.  However like many of you stated, the cabin does get small and I loathe the packing up at the end, so I do try to keep everything within reason.

I do truly appreciate your responses and help!  If we *do* have two bags each to check in, can I print our current tag twice or do I have to get a new tag from the porter for the second bag, anyone know?

Yes print tab twice or photo copy tag. As many as you need. Put the Carnival room tags on at the port or after to get your bags off your flight. Good chance they will not make it threw the baggage at the airport. I assume your using the the plastic room luggage holders for your bags going on the ship. If not you may want to look at them.  

6 hours ago, tigereye said:

How many bags will your airline allow you to check?

As many as you're willing to pay for or reach the weight limit. Has nothing to do w/taking your luggage on cruise ship.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:23 AM, mmbrad02 said:

Checked luggage service is only available until two hours before the ship's published departure time. Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board. Bon Voyage!

Pier side staff really dislike Carnival's policy of ending porter service 2 hours before the ship sails, as it falls to staff to let the later arriving Carnival passenger that they themselves will be carrying their own  luggage onboard.  In Seattle, that would be 2 PM for a typical 4 PM sailing for an Alaska cruise. 

For some reason Carnival passengers seem to bring more luggage, and for those unfortunate enough arriving after 2 PM. they are responsible for carrying their own luggage, and with multiple of bags - it isn't easy.  In addition, pier side staff are unable to touch passengers' luggage due to Longshore union rules, so passengers arriving after 2 PM are truly on their own luggage-wise.

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Pier side staff really dislike Carnival's policy of ending porter service 2 hours before the ship sails, as it falls to staff to let the later arriving Carnival passenger that they themselves will be carrying their own  luggage onboard.  In Seattle, that would be 2 PM for a typical 4 PM sailing for an Alaska cruise. 

For some reason Carnival passengers seem to bring more luggage, and for those unfortunate enough arriving after 2 PM. they are responsible for carrying their own luggage, and with multiple of bags - it isn't easy.  In addition, pier side staff are unable to touch passengers' luggage due to Longshore union rules, so passengers arriving after 2 PM are truly on their own luggage-wise.

Seems weird that the cut off is two hours before sail away. I’d assume if you’re on time to check in, then you could check your bags. Do the other lines do that as well? I’m guessing not since you said you all don’t like that.  Any idea why it’s the policy? 

7 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Seems weird that the cut off is two hours before sail away. I’d assume if you’re on time to check in, then you could check your bags. Do the other lines do that as well? I’m guessing not since you said you all don’t like that.  Any idea why it’s the policy? 

My personal guess for why Carnival stops porter service at 2 PM for a 4 PM sailing (hard door close at 3:20 PM) is strictly financial.  They are saving money by not paying the Longshore porters.  It's unfortunate because there are Carnival passengers who have a 2:30 PM assigned arrival time, who actually adhere to that and arrive, only to find out that they need to carrying their luggage on to the ship.

Carnival is the only cruise line that does this.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Thanks 1

Just a guess but maybe they need to shift the porters to getting the luggage loaded on the ship in time.

On one of my cruises, I had an outside room, and they were loading bags just below my room right up to the time we left.

Just check arrival times ( my wife has a cruise coming up) and In Galveston the last slot is 1:30- 2:00

Edited by TxShipShape
adding info