How early have you had GTY cabin assigned?

On 7/15/2023 at 7:20 PM, vjmatty said:

Booked Suite GTY in May 2022 for an October 2023 sailing on Brilliance, which has since been changed to Enchantment.  Final payment was Tuesday.  Still waiting.

It seems to be one end of the spectrum or the other, from what I am reading.  In about 90% of cases you find out either within a week after booking or within a week before sailing.

If that is the T/A to Tampa, we are on it with you?

I booked a suite guarantee in January for May 2024.  At the time there were several JS available and I thought I'd get a room assignment fairly quickly, but I didn't.  Now all the suites are sold out, so it looks like the assignment won't come until close to sailing.

22 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Looking forward to hearing what you get. Nice to see some people are still finding random great deals.

Being mostly restricted to spring break and summer and choosing to only sail from PC out of convenience, I'm happy to get anything I now consider reasonable on Wonder. I've given up on actual deals, lol.

Blame @firefly for moving. We will never see a good deal out of PC again. All the good deals will be out of Texas......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

If that is the T/A to Tampa, we are on it with you?

No, it’s a 7-day Greek Isles cruise on Oct 9. We did the TA eastbound in May on Enchantment and loved it. 

I have a somewhat similar question.  I booked and paid for a Jr Suite Guarantee on Voyager in late June for a late Sept. 2023 cruise, using a TA.  I have not been assigned a cabin; the booking on RC website still says GTY.   

When I booked that, I was unaware of the JS cabins on the aft of decks 6 & 7.   I had only looked at deck plans for decks 8, 9 & 10, and although some were fore and aft of elevators, I was not too concerned.   Much as we used to love aft cabins, we are in our early 80s & hubby has health issues.  We simply cannot stay on the aft end due to the very long walk to the elevators for my husband.  I don't want to have to get a wheelchair for him....he needs to walk to bars & MDR. 

Today I decided that we need to get a specific JS cabin and understand I will have to pay extra.  But only a couple of cabins on deck 9 are left.  (There are about 10 available GS cabins, but I doubt I would get assigned 1 of them....would be nice though!)    TA doesn't work over the weekend but I called the company she is with.  The young man said I cannot try to get a specific cabin now, because I am still in GTY status with none assigned.  But if I wait til a cabin is assigned, it will probably be too late!!   Does his comment seem accurate?    

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

On 7/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, SouthShore 5 said:

We are booked for the Sept 16th cruise and don't have a room assignment.  Our cruise is paid in full.

We are also booked for Sept. 16th out of Tampa. We upgraded from a interior to balcony guarantee a couple weeks ago and are awaiting our room assignment. I thought it was strange that on our new paperwork now just says guarantee not balcony guarantee. I called and they said ok n their computer it shows the code for balcony. 

13 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

I have not been assigned a cabin; the booking on RC website still says GTY.   

Have you tried Mike's trick for scanning your set sail pass bar code.  If he is correct, the last 4 numbers are your cabin #...I'm counting on that.  I have also tried to pick another room and the agents said they can do nothing until a cabin number appears on their screens.  The next date that may happen is on Docs day which is a week out for us.  As the luggage tags will be on the contract to print.  So.....we wait.  If I were you I'd just wait, and not waste the extra $.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I have also tried to pick another room and the agents said they can do nothing until a cabin number appears on their screens.  The next date that may happen is on Docs day which is a week out for us.

In my experience, it can happen on any random day. You may have to wait for your docs if you don't have an official assignment by then... or it could come later today. I'm sure you're checking daily anyway, just sharing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

In my experience, it can happen on any random day. You may have to wait for your docs if you don't have an official assignment by then... or it could come later today. I'm sure you're checking daily anyway, just sharing.

In my recent experience, eDocs were issued without a cabin assignment.  Then re-issued after the cabin assignment.

image.png.06eadc02d5aac884961ffcf7ba56812b.png

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

In my recent experience, eDocs were issued without a cabin assignment.  Then re-issued after the cabin assignment.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I just worded it poorly. Without a cabin assignment, I just ignore them.

Website says I cannot do anything to post our checkin information until Aug 9!!   I purchased the beverage pkg for Mike & me last week and of course RC had no problem selling me that!!  I decided the pkg was worth it for us.....we are Emerald at this time, but after this upcoming 5 day cruise, we will be Diamond!   Actually need only 8 points, so we spurged for a JS.  We wont get off to do anything at the 2 ports, so we will stay onboard & drink!  😄

18 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

I have a somewhat similar question.  I booked and paid for a Jr Suite Guarantee on Voyager in late June for a late Sept. 2023 cruise, using a TA.  I have not been assigned a cabin; the booking on RC website still says GTY.   

When I booked that, I was unaware of the JS cabins on the aft of decks 6 & 7.   I had only looked at deck plans for decks 8, 9 & 10, and although some were fore and aft of elevators, I was not too concerned.   Much as we used to love aft cabins, we are in our early 80s & hubby has health issues.  We simply cannot stay on the aft end due to the very long walk to the elevators for my husband.  I don't want to have to get a wheelchair for him....he needs to walk to bars & MDR. 

Today I decided that we need to get a specific JS cabin and understand I will have to pay extra.  But only a couple of cabins on deck 9 are left.  (There are about 10 available GS cabins, but I doubt I would get assigned 1 of them....would be nice though!)    TA doesn't work over the weekend but I called the company she is with.  The young man said I cannot try to get a specific cabin now, because I am still in GTY status with none assigned.  But if I wait til a cabin is assigned, it will probably be too late!!   Does his comment seem accurate?    

Are they saying you can't pay for an upgrade to JS from Suite Guarantee? I don't know the price difference but if you don't mind paying it, you should be able to pay for it just like any other upgrade.

"vjmatty" -- Thanks.  That's what I thought I should be able to do!  Not sure WHY the young man wouldn't process it, but perhaps he thought I was trying to do Royal-up....I have been able to change categories to improve our location with other lines in the past, but haven't worked with this particular TA company much.  I may call back in today & see if I get a more knowledgable person.  

1 hour ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

Not sure WHY the young man wouldn't process it, but perhaps he thought I was trying to do Royal-up.

Sometimes, the rate you see is limited to new bookings only, though a good TA can usually get around that.

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Are they saying you can't pay for an upgrade to JS from Suite Guarantee? I don't know the price difference but if you don't mind paying it, you should be able to pay for it just like any other upgrade.

Until you are assigned you don't have a category rate so they can't Process it yet, can't determine the difference...of say a 2I or a CB both balconies but different categories.  That's what they told me anyway, I spoke to 3 different agents.  Funny though that we do have a muster station!  How would we have that location without knowing exactly where they put us...sounds like a runaround to me!

15 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Funny though that we do have a muster station!  How would we have that location without knowing exactly where they put us...sounds like a runaround to me!

In rare instances, the cabin you get via the bar code trick can be changed before it's officially assigned. I've seen it reported a couple times but it's highly unlikely. I assume that's their reasoning.

Edited by OCSC Mike

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Until you are assigned you don't have a category rate so they can't Process it yet, can't determine the difference...of say a 2I or a CB both balconies but different categories.  That's what they told me anyway, I spoke to 3 different agents.  Funny though that we do have a muster station!  How would we have that location without knowing exactly where they put us...sounds like a runaround to me!

Oh ok, I thought WS (suite guarantee) was the category and had its own rate, but since it is an undefined category it is probably like you say they wouldn't know the price difference.

The woman I am using for TA was able this morning to get us into a specific cabin in/near bump-out.  Yes I did pay extra, but considering our ages and physical limitations, it was definitely worth it.   

Our 3 adult children (50s) worry about us too much and have been leary of cruises, but I have convinced them cruises are best for their father, because we are at/close to sea level & better for his breathing, and we have to WALK to get drinks, food & shows!   

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 12:09 PM, Another_Critic said:

image.png.06eadc02d5aac884961ffcf7ba56812b.png

I'll find out next Thursday!  But still no joy...so relieved it does say OCEANVIEW BALCONY GTY!.  There are just singles left mostly, even suites. Just about full up! Only 4 Crown Lofts left.  If they truly haven't assigned us yet, wouldn't they have to upgrade it to suite.  That's what I understand, it has to be Oceanview Balcony "or better".  Wonder if that has happened at all to anyone?    Anyone?

Edited by BecciBoo

On 7/23/2023 at 2:42 PM, OCSC Mike said:

In rare instances, the cabin you get via the bar code trick can be changed before it's officially assigned. I've seen it reported a couple times but it's highly unlikely. I assume that's their reasoning.

Still checking every morning Mike, hasn't so far!  All this angst helps the time pass though, LOL Like "Did you find the treasure today?" 🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Still checking every morning Mike, hasn't so far!  All this angst helps the time pass though, LOL Like "Did you find the treasure today?" 

I get it, that used to be me, but your situation is far more fun.

I would just be waiting for my interior to be officially assigned... often b/c I was waiting to switch it to a different one in a spot we liked better. Now that I've chosen my locations, the wait is kind of rough... especially since we don't sail again until March... but then we have 3 in 5 months so I can't really complain. If only we were retired or didn't have to follow my wife's teacher schedule. Oh well, 1st world problems.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2023 at 9:27 AM, BecciBoo said:

Have you tried Mike's trick for scanning your set sail pass bar code.  If he is correct, the last 4 numbers are your cabin #...I'm counting on that.  I have also tried to pick another room and the agents said they can do nothing until a cabin number appears on their screens.  The next date that may happen is on Docs day which is a week out for us.  As the luggage tags will be on the contract to print.  So.....we wait.  If I were you I'd just wait, and not waste the extra $.  

Just tried this and it did not work.  it ends with -GTY