Help me pick a cruise for this summer!

KangCruiser

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to take my two boys (11 & 13) on a solo cruise this August, my husband wont be able to go. My main objective it really to just get them out of the house and away from their electronics (and to give me a much needed break from work). Will need leave out of NYC or Boston to avoid flying. We have only done 2BR Haven in the past, but this time will be going for a Balcony with just the 3 of us. Haven is sold out on all the sailings anyway...Here are the options I am looking at:

1. 10 Day NYC -> Bahamas & Bermuda on the Joy. This is the cheapest of all the options surprisingly. I've never been to Bahamas and would love the long break. But, we have done the Joy before and will be on the Joy again in November. Will I be sick of the Joy by November? 🤣

2. 5 Day NYC -> Bermuda on the Escape. Never been on the Escape and the ship looks awesome. I also assume that when its just a stay in Bermuda that it will be easier to get on and off the ship without long lines? Not being in Haven, I'm just not sure about the ease here. 

3. 7 Day NYC -> Canada New England. The most expensive of the 3 (but still within budget). We live in New England, so would probably spend the most time on the ship here. 

I'm not super concerned about ports or pricing. I want the boys to have a blast. Would love any opinions here - especially on difference between splash/entourage between the two ships? I think I've ruled out the Pearl/Boston options. I don't think the Pearl has enough to keep them entertained (but please chime in if you think otherwise!)

Thanks in advance! 

As the mother of 3 boys…now grown, if I were taking the boys on a cruise it would definitely be 10 days Bahamas and Bermuda on the Joy.  It would be a nice long break for you.  But…can your husband survive that long without you🤣

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

As the mother of 3 boys…now grown, if I were taking the boys on a cruise it would definitely be 10 days Bahamas and Bermuda on the Joy.  It would be a nice long break for you.  But…can your husband survive that long without you🤣

Survive? He would probably be in Heaven. Until the last day when he has to scramble to clean the house before I get back! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

But…can your husband survive that long without you🤣

Yes, we husbands can survive! We just don't thrive!

I'd be all about that ten day cruise. No questions asked. Longer the better. Last year my husband and I cruised on Getaway three times between April and January. We weren't sick of Getaway! I don't think you'll be sick of Joy, either. 

Wherever you decide, have a fantastic time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Definitely the ten night Joy!   One of our Joy cruises last year was a five night Bermuda from New York.  While we had a wonderful time, we would not do it again.   We are scheduled for another seven night Bermuda cruise on the Joy next year so it was not because of the ship or Bermuda.

• Like 1

10n looks like the no brainer longer & cheaper.

More cash to do extras.

We find 7n too short these days coming home before ready 10-14 is the sweet spot.

We quite like repeat trips close enough to get remembered enhances the experience

Also second trip you are up and running day one as you know the best spots.

• Like 2

you dont mention the ports of call on the bahama's cruise. if your main objective is to get them out of thee house, and a 10 day cruise would fit hat bill, if there are not a lot of ports, other than swimming in the pool, or signing them up for the kids club, youre just changing the house environment to the ship environment and there  aint a whole lot of stuff for kids your age to do

i would choose a cruise with different ports so the 3 of you can get off the ship, see and do other things.

maybe get a beach day, shopping the next, and or shore excursions. 

• Like 1

Normally, I would say go with the longest cruise that you can afford and that works for you and your family, but if you are planning on going on the Joy in the near future, then maybe try the Escape? The Escape has a ropes course that your kiddos might enjoy and being docked in one place overnight does have its advantages. It definitely makes it easier to "go with the flow", since you have more time to check things out.

Also, check out the family oceanview cabins on the Escape (O4 or O5, I believe). There is a lot more room compared to balcony cabins, a bigger bathroom, and usually a curtain to divide off the kids' sleeping area from the rest of the cabin. 

• Like 1

I would choose The Escape over The Joy and save some money to use for extras on your Joy cruise.

Enjoy your time with your boys beore school starts and life gets extra crazy with all their activites and sports.

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

We quite like repeat trips close enough to get remembered enhances the experience

Also second trip you are up and running day one as you know the best spots.

These are both excellent points! 

3 hours ago, KangCruiser said:

Survive? He would probably be in Heaven. Until the last day when he has to scramble to clean the house before I get back! 🤣

Wait, you're not my wife are you?

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, KangCruiser said:

1. 10 Day NYC -> Bahamas & Bermuda on the Joy. This is the cheapest of all the options surprisingly. I've never been to Bahamas and would love the long break. But, we have done the Joy before and will be on the Joy again in November. Will I be sick of the Joy by November? 🤣

This one, hands down!

You're familiar with the Joy, so you'll do fine! 

• Like 1