$100,000 for a Bottle of Wine! Just, Why?

From someone who considers a $4 bottle of Beringer Vineyards White Zinfandel at Spec's to be "overpriced" (partially because they are a teetotaler), I'll just say that $100k would be plenty to retire my mortgage and get some niceties done on my home. Also, there are plenty of people who have much more money than common sense. 

26 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I mean, why not.  People have shown they will pay extremely high  prices for virtually anything without any thought to what they are doing.  

kwf - I would suggest that a few of us do think about what we are doing, before, during and after...

There are a few of us may stop along the way at any point in order to not be filled with remorse...

Then there are a few of us who understand the ramifications at each of the points and decide it is worth it... LOL, then possibly remorse sets in afterwards, but we had fun!!!

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 1

There's so much rubbish spouted about wine most of which is ludicrously marked-up and terrible value for money.

When at our gaff in Spain I buy red wine from a huge wooden vat in my local bodega for €1.50 a litre and we supply the plastic milk carton for it.

It's better than most restaurant wine I taste.

At home we get a case of wine a month from new and small independent wineries that's never more than £10 a bottle.

I never spend more than £30 a bottle in a restaurant - anything more is a waste of money and simply a greater mark-up for the restaurant rather than better quality of wine.

Tbh, I find Americans the biggest suckers for this vinology nonsense mainly because they don't drink it in the same quantity as Europeans.

In much the same way as they pay through the nose for " fine dining " whatever that is meant to be.

Like people eating a 12course €200 tasting menu and being so hungry they get a burger on the way home ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

There's so much rubbish spouted about wine most of which is ludicrously marked-up and terrible value for money.

When at our gaff in Spain I buy red wine from a huge wooden vat in my local bodega for €1.50 a litre and we supply the plastic milk carton for it.

At home we get a case of wine a month from new and small independent wineries that's never more than £10 a bottle.

I never spend more than £30 a bottle in a restaurant - anything more is a waste of money and simply a greater mark-up for the restaurant rather than better quality of wine.

Tbh, I find Americans the biggest suckers for this vinology nonsense mainly because they don't drink it in the same quantity as Europeans.

In much the same way as they pay through the nose for " fine dining " whatever that is meant to be.

Like people eating a 12course €200 tasting menu and being so hungry they get a burger on the way home ...

b178 I do understand the bewilderment in your comments, yet many N Americans do enjoy wine and have a lot of boutique wineries available to us... some good, some better, some great!!!

While we do not have a lot of wineries per capita, we do enjoy what we have with gusto and fervor in our quest to have good drink and appreciate our diversity of offerings, overall.

What can I say about food? We do love to eat and are frequently on the hunt for that great new chef and taste... and are willing to pay for it, on many levels. This is not to say that many of us really do enjoy and prefer homemade meals which are done well... Just like on cruises, we love and enjoy our dining experiences, rather that be in the MDR or SR's.

At any rate, thank you for your thoughts and again I understand the position...

Cheers, bon appetit and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

It must be a surprise to learn that senses vary widely from person to person. 

3 hours ago, broberts said:

It must be a surprise to learn that senses vary widely from person to person. 

You're absolutely right.

I earned my first million in the hospitality business so I've got a pretty good idea about sense.

Nonsense too.

And most of it was around wine.

Rule #1 - a fool and his money are easily parted ...

1 minute ago, Baggy178 said:

No doubt. But lumping everyone willing to pay more than $30 for a bottle into that group is condescending and insulting of those that don't share your palate.

55 minutes ago, broberts said:

No doubt. But lumping everyone willing to pay more than $30 for a bottle into that group is condescending and insulting of those that don't share your palate.

You're absolutely right and it wasn't my intention to imply it so I'm happy to aplogise.

But there comes a price point which separates most people from the idiots.

It's just about being happy with the one you're at.

For me and 'er indoors it becomes a bit iffy above 30 quid. Tbh honest when we do a four hour lunch in the shade of a remote taverna in the Cyclades I doubt we spend that on rough local wine with lots of ice to deaden the taste in a tin jug and still have a wonderful time.

I just can't imagine getting the same enjoyment out of a $100 bottle of wine although I accept many do.

Edited by Baggy178

4 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

LOL-- Finally, I can contribute to this thread !!

" a fool and his money are easily parted " ???

Oh Yea ??  Not so fast !!

Ya never met Big George ?? The loudest, cheapest " you know what " at our golf course !!

The guy is the biggest %$^%$#%%^ and he don't spend no money. 

He also cheats on his score-- if that means anything !!

The last time I played with him was in 2006-- the next time will be in 2096 !!

Rumor has it that he's going on a cruise in 2026 and was asking around if anyone knew who, etc etc.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

You're absolutely right and it wasn't my intention to imply it so I'm happy to aplogise.

But there comes a price point which separates most people from the idiots.

Perhaps the people that are willing to pay more for a bottle of wine have more assets?  

I would not call them idiots,  just because they make more than me and you...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- Finally, I can contribute to this thread !!

" a fool and his money are easily parted " ???

Oh Yea ??  Not so fast !!

Ya never met Big George ?? The loudest, cheapest " you know what " at our golf course !!

The guy is the biggest %$^%$#%%^ and he don't spend no money. 

He also cheats on his score-- if that means anything !!

The last time I played with him was in 2006-- the next time will be in 2096 !!

Rumor has it that he's going on a cruise in 2026 and was asking around if anyone knew who, etc etc.

pb the company you keep on and off ships!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, broberts said:

In my 30+ years of drinking wine I've tasted in excess of 4,000 bottles (yes I mostly kept track).  

And the only thing I can say with certainty is that I know what I personally like. Would never presume to know about others.  To each their own.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Yeah, rich people are smart

I would think so if Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos are the yardstick.  I suppose that they could afford the bottle for everyone,  but you would not find them on Celebrity..

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps the people that are willing to pay more for a bottle of wine have more assets?  

I would not call them idiots,  just because they make more than me and you...

Excellent point.  There are some people with enough money that they don't really care what a bottle of wine costs.  They want the best, and they are content to pay for it.  So even if that $300 bottle of wine is only incrementally better than the $30 bottle, they'd rather spend the extra money.  Because it makes no real difference in their world.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:40 AM, Rothko1 said:

Excellent point.  There are some people with enough money that they don't really care what a bottle of wine costs.  They want the best, and they are content to pay for it.  So even if that $300 bottle of wine is only incrementally better than the $30 bottle, they'd rather spend the extra money.  Because it makes no real difference in their world.

Okay, it seems like many, on this thread for now, are equating cost against value (to them) and that is fine to a great degree.

Yet, many forget, that for some of us, the taste is an important factor in what will be purchased.

Remember the "lobster" debate of the not too distant pass? Some have preferences for different types of the crustacean vs other types against if it was worth paying more for an additional tail.... 

I can only presume that those of us who believe that certain price points for some of the wines is well beyond the pale and I cannot deny them those thoughts or desires, yet for those of us who 'may' believe that the price points are what we are willing to pay for what may be considered a 'better' wine/pour is up to us, is it not?

In the end, at least for me, the values for food and wine can only be balanced by the person(s) who are consuming and paying for them. Only we can decide if there was value there or not. If not, lesson learned, if so, great value and enjoyment...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, it seems like many, on this thread for now, are equating cost against value (to them) and that is fine to a great degree.

Yet, many forget, that for some of us, the taste is an important factor in what will be purchased.

Remember the "lobster" debate of the not too distant pass? Some have preferences for different types of the crustacean vs other types against if it was worth paying more for an additional tail.... 

I can only presume that those of us who believe that certain price points for some of the wines is well beyond the pale and I cannot deny them those thoughts or desires, yet for those of us who 'may' believe that the price points are what we are willing to pay for what may be considered a 'better' wine/pour is up to us, is it not?

In the end, at least for me, the values for food and wine can only be balanced by the person(s) who are consuming and paying for them. Only we can decide if there was value there or not. If not, lesson learned, if so, great value and enjoyment...

Silk & Spice Red Blend from Portugal, is one of my favorite everyday wines, and it sells for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 per bottle.

Silk-and-Spice-Red-Blend-Vinho-de-Portugal-2018_1200x1200.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Silk & Spice Red Blend from Portugal, is one of my favorite everyday wines, and it sells for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 per bottle.

Never tried Portuguese wines but will have to look for this one. Great price point. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:55 PM, Whinenowine said:

In my 30+ years of drinking wine I've tasted in excess of 4,000 bottles (yes I mostly kept track).  

And the only thing I can say with certainty is that I know what I personally like. Would never presume to know about others.  To each their own.

Inquiring minds want to know...what do YOU like?

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

If you try it, let me know what you think of it.  Should be relatively widely available.  I've also seen it in Europe and I think I saw it in China even, if my memory is correct.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

If you try it, let me know what you think of it.  Should be relatively widely available.  I've also seen it in Europe and I think I saw it in China even, if my memory is correct.

Just looked it up on sale for $13.85 CAD. I'll let you know when I try it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Lovely bottle of plonk. Retails for £10 in the UK.

You really can't go wrong with Portuguese reds - tremendous value for money.

And their Tempranillos are a favourite of ours.

We get a case a month from Naked Wines in the UK and rarely pay more than a tenner a bottle.

https://www.nakedwines.com/wines/index?filterWineCountry=Portugal

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 1