Venice- Harry’s Bar and Cafe Florian

Got2Cruise

Been to both.  Sad to say there is very little anymore that is authentic in Venice, as there are very few Venetians living there.  Harry's was always an ex-pat kind of place, so that's probably more authentic than anything.

My favorite memory of Harry's was not the famous Bellini (tried it, but not my kind of drink) but the look on our kid's face when they placed not just a cup of hot chocolate in front of her, but an entire pot of the stuff.  That look alone was worth the exorbitant price.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Hi. If you’ve been to either Harry’s Bar for cocktails or Cafe Florian did you enjoy the experience. Yes I know it’s expensive. Lol 

Did you feel it was an authentic Venitian experience?

Let's say it is more of the movie cliché experience. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

If you’ve been to either Harry’s Bar for cocktails or Cafe Florian did you enjoy the experience. Yes I know it’s expensive. Lol 

Did you feel it was an authentic Venitian experience?

Harry's is very in line with the other Cipriani offerings around Venice (Harrys Dolci over in Giudecca, Hotel Cipriani, etc)-- the food is quite good but it is breathtakingly expensive. Its also quite small so I would recommend going off peak so you can actually enjoy it. 

Florian I would say offers its own charms but the food, unlike Harrys, is quite mediocre for what you pay for. Go for a coffee, pastry, aperitivo, etc but don't make a meal out of Florian. 

Some other "expensive but worth it" candidates are Bar Longhi overlooking the Grand Canal at the Gritti Palace Hotel. The rooftop at the Hotel Danieli is also quite spectacular and they now offer a section for cocktails so you don't have to commit to the full meal that you used to.  

A complimentary launch will also take you over to the Hotel Cipriani where there is a delightful little bar by their pool. While expensive like it's counterparts you can go over just for drinks and skip the expensive meal. You get a free boat ride with great views of St Marks and you can also go wander around their gardens. After a day in crowded Venice it feels like an oasis there. 

• Thanks 1

We have been to Venice many times (on both cruises and independent land trips) and I would call the Cafe Florian and Harry's Bar among the biggest "tourist traps" in the entire city!  That being said, the tourists keep coming, the tourists keep paying the ridiculous prices, and those two places continue to exist.

I am sure there are many happy cruisers/cruisers who boast to their friends when they paid $15 for a double expresso (at Cafe Florian) or $25 for a cocktail (at Harry's).   Not our style, but some truly love it :).  I will confess to never having dined at Harry's so we would leave it to others to tell you what a "good deal" it is to have lunch or dinner at that famous establishment.

By the way, before you sit down at Cafe Florian (or any other place in or near St Marks Square) you might want to take a close look at their menu (especially if there is any small print on the bottom).  While prices may only seem moderately outrageous, they may be enhanced by a "coperto" or cover charge, an "entertainment charge," and perhaps other charges/fees that have been invented since our last visit.   DW and I truly love Italy (we have driven all over the country) and despite being pretty saavy travelers, even we have been burned in some places :).  The last time it happened to me was at an obscure coffee shop near the Borghese gardens (Rome) when I paid about $12 for a simple expresso.  My reaction was to laugh, say to DW "they got us,"  pay the bill, and move on.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

they paid $15 for a double expresso (at Cafe Florian)

All this talk about "how expensive it is" made me curious and tempted me to look at the most recent Tripadvisor reviews of Cafe Florian, and HANK, $15 for a DOUBLE espresso  would seem like small change now going by what I just read. and when the 6euro pp charge for the "orchestra" and any other charges are added, it is even more costly.  For some, the cost will be of no importance, but for others, "forewarned is forearmed".

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

All this talk about "how expensive it is" made me curious and tempted me to look at the most recent Tripadvisor reviews of Cafe Florian, and HANK, $15 for a DOUBLE espresso  would seem like small change now going by what I just read. and when the 6euro pp charge for the "orchestra" and any other charges are added, it is even more costly.  For some, the cost will be of no importance, but for others, "forewarned is forearmed".

We once met a lovely lady, on a HAL cruise, who was a very experienced traveler/cruiser.  During lunch, the subject of Venice was discussed and she mentioned that she loves to sit outdoors at Cafe Florian and "people watch."  When we mentioned about that place (and some others in St Marks Square) is a rip-off, she laughed and admitted that their pricing was ridiculous and somewhat of a con.  But she also said that despite this problem, she still loved the place :).  

I guess that many experienced travelers will, sometimes, do things and go places despite know better.  DW and I once did the Blue Grotto trek (on Capri) even though we knew it was a complete tourist trap and akin to the local welfare program for all involved in that operation.  We did it, knew we had been ripped off, and enjoyed the experience :).  From that point I advised folks here on CC that the Blue Grotto is one of those "tourist traps" that you just have to do....ONCE.  Perhaps the Cafe Florian also fits into that mold.

Hank

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

one of those "tourist traps" that you just have to do....ONCE.  Perhaps the Cafe Florian also fits into that mold.

Exactly Hank. Each to his/her own That is why I wrote the  above

For some, the cost will be of no importance, but for others, "forewarned is forearmed"

2 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Exactly Hank. Each to his/her own That is why I wrote the  above

For some, the cost will be of no importance, but for others, "forewarned is forearmed"

ROFL.  For us, we will continue to grab our expresso at other locations :).  It is an "Italian thing" that most Italians (especially men) will grab an expresso at various espresso bars and do it standing up at the bar!  It is "tradition" but also avoids any Coperta or other fee involved in sitting down.  We have been in cafes where an espresso at the bar is about 2-3 Euros and that same drink, served at a table, would be 5 or 6 Euros (or even more in some places).

Hank

Direct from the source, the (extensive) Caffe Florian menu:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cukqirnrqv65w9q/Florian_menu_estate_2023.pdf?dl=0

As noted above, if you sit outside when the orchestra is playing, there is an additional 6 euro charge per person (only added once; e.g., if you order a second coffee you don't pay it again).

I always say you should do what appeals to you. Gondola rides have never been something that I wanted to experience. Maybe it's because my first visit to Venice was when I was 16 and having experienced getting around by vaporetto, the gondola experience just seemed superfluous. 

On the other hand, as I get older and have been to Venice a number of times, the idea of sitting in Piazza San Marco and just enjoying the ambiance has a certain appeal -- however, I'd rather do it at the end of the day after many of the daytrippers have vacated the place.

Last time I was in Venice was on a late fall (November) trip to Venice and Florence with DS. We made plans in advance to eat at the famous Quadri bistrot right on Piazza San Marco. (Their bistro restaurant at ground-floor level has excellent food, same chef as their Michelin-starred restaurant on the floor above.) The interior has been wisely updated to retain its charming 18th c. Venetian charm. They had a lovely set menu with 3 or 4 courses, and the 3-course menu was about the same as a coffee and pastry at Caffe Florian would cost. 

Here's where we were seated:

image.png.c8a8217c76b7695bc9a5ff76320d52be.png

It was a lovely experience.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL.  For us, we will continue to grab our expresso at other locations :).  It is an "Italian thing" that most Italians (especially men) will grab an expresso at various espresso bars and do it standing up at the bar!  It is "tradition" but also avoids any Coperta or other fee involved in sitting down.  We have been in cafes where an espresso at the bar is about 2-3 Euros and that same drink, served at a table, would be 5 or 6 Euros (or even more in some places).

Hank

One of my favorite places to grab an espresso in Rome is at the standing bar at the Colosseo metro station. They are extremely good there....and only 85 cents. 😉. Of course it is "gulp and go" there. 

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It is an "Italian thing" that most Italians (especially men) will grab an expresso at various espresso bars and do it standing up at the bar! 

Since 1911 in Italy there has been a regulation in place that classifies espresso as a "necessity" and must be affordable for all. The cost of an espresso standing at a bar or counter was not to exceed 1 euro and that price remains in place even now.  Of course ordering a different type of coffee or sitting down inside or out is not included in that regulation.

The same sort of regulation applies to baguettes in France,, so that everyone can afford their daily bread.  (This dates from the French Revolution when the poorest could not even afford bread) They must be a certain length and width and the price is highly regulated. And only four ingredients are allowed and they must be freshly made that morning. I probably missed a few other details as the French do love their red tape, but you get the meaning.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

direct from the source, the (extensive) Caffe Florian menu:

Thanks for that as I am sure I won't be the only one reading it.

And yes, some yummy sounding offerings on there, but the prices  are definitely out of our personal comfort zone.

And to  fully understand the pricing, anyone not living in eurozone,( including myself) has to use an exchange rate to convert to their home currency.

Edited by edinburgher

40 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Since 1911 in Italy there has been a regulation in place that classifies espresso as a "necessity" and must be affordable for all. 

The same sort of regulation applies to baguettes in France,, so that everyone can afford their daily bread. 

And that is the meaning of "civilization." 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ever since I was pretty young, I would dream about walking from the Boulangerie to my home with a baguette under my arm (I know its silly but true).  A few years ago, DW and I rented a flat in St Remy de Provence for a couple of weeks.  The first day, I walked into town and to a boulangerie and purchased some croissants (which we needed for breakfast) and a baguette (which we did not need) and walked "home" with that loaf under my arm :).  Dream fulfilled...and the bread was still warm.

There is something special about bread in France (and some other parts of Europe).  The only thing close has been when buying fresh bread or bagels (at a bagel factory) in NYC.  Or course being NYC there is no way I would put a baguette under my arm as somebody would likely mug me for the bread :).

Hank

I could have saved my 30 euros for the affogato and spritz I had at Florian.  And I wasn't even outside.  Maybe I had water too.  It's not even really comfortable to sit inside.  

Had I skipped that, and in hindsight probably should have, I'm sure I could have given that 30-35 Euro to the gondola operator and had a longer tour. Yes, touristy but lots more fun IMO.  😄

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edinburgher said:

You make an important point. That’s why research is so important. Not only in Ve

• Like 1