It’s A Crystal Family Affair – Return To Crystal & Crystal Serenity

Keith1010

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You are not going to see Lasagne, Beef Carpaccio, or the Mushroom Soup on this menu. You cannot special order it. It is a completely new concept.  The mushroom soup from time to time will be on the Waterside menu.

Again this is new and personally I am glad they have rolled out a new menu.

Keith

Thank you Keith for posting the menu to Osteria D'Ovidio.

I'm disappointed because I thought Crystal was had agreed to carry over the favorites from Prego (Lasagna, Beef Carpaccio and Mushroom Soup) into the new restaurant.   

Also, I don't understand all the pictures that Crystal put up on their website under Osteria D'Ovidio since the items pictured do not appear on this menu.  Why put up pictures of random Italian food? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes it is hard to read the menu and I've tried a few other times so for now I won't post one.  To begin with the print is very small so the only way to read it which I recommend is take a magnifying glass up to it that is what I do for similar things when at home.

One more item for the packing list.

Keith,

I see "NORDAQ" printed on the Osteria menu in the bottom right corner, which I'm assuming (hoping!) means Serenity now has a NORDAQ water purification system onboard. Do you have any insight?

The water onboard Ponant's Le Dumont d'Urville was from a NORDAQ system and it was the best water I've ever had, which I realize sounds very odd, but everyone in my group raved about the water! Ponant used glass bottles that they would collect, sterilize, refill and place in your room each day, and I'm hoping it may be the same onboard Serenity!

1 minute ago, tnm6217 said:

Ponant used glass bottles that they would collect, sterilize, refill and place in your room each day, and I'm hoping it may be the same onboard Serenity!

Oceania has the same kind of clunky glass bottles, by Vero.  Big PITA.  The bottles were heavy, did not pour well, and were great for virtue signalling.  They also gave you a cheap non-insulated aluminum bottle, which sweated condensation if you put any cold liquid inside.  Luckily, I just bought bottled water ashore and used those bottles.

• Like 1

Thank you Cruise Critic.

They just sent me an e-mail with the following.

Keith

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

You were awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

Keith,

I see "NORDAQ" printed on the Osteria menu in the bottom right corner, which I'm assuming (hoping!) means Serenity now has a NORDAQ water purification system onboard. Do you have any insight?

The water onboard Ponant's Le Dumont d'Urville was from a NORDAQ system and it was the best water I've ever had, which I realize sounds very odd, but everyone in my group raved about the water! Ponant used glass bottles that they would collect, sterilize, refill and place in your room each day, and I'm hoping it may be the same onboard Serenity!

I know the water they make is now in new bottles and they told me it is new water so I am srure this is the case.

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I was asked either here or on the observations thread where is the World Map? Well, your wish came true.  Here it is.

Keith

IMG_24692.jpeg.c408eadc7fe398c68e45b084b2d85a3a.jpeg

Thanks so much. I’m so happy to see it back there again!

21 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Many solos are booked in other than the solo cabins. I have 2 future cruises booked as a solo, neither in a solo cabin. According to Reflections posted, there are solo tables once in each of the specialty restaurants and a solo table every evening at either 6 or 7:30 at Waterside. 

Very useful information, thanks!  So if I understand this right, once per cruise there's a solo table in Umi Uma and the new Italian restaurant, but every night there's a solo table in Waterside, but the time alternates between 6 pm and 7:30 pm.  Do you have to sign up for all of these in advance?  

26 minutes ago, bluestocking7 said:

Very useful information, thanks!  So if I understand this right, once per cruise there's a solo table in Umi Uma and the new Italian restaurant, but every night there's a solo table in Waterside, but the time alternates between 6 pm and 7:30 pm.  Do you have to sign up for all of these in advance?  

Yes, as to Umi Uma, OO (the new Italian, I'm working on learning the name!) and Tastes, but 2 different times each night, 6 and 7:30, at Waterside. The specialties, I think you do sign up in advance, but Waterside, you just show up. I'll be on a week from Saturday and will know for sure then.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Yes, as to Umi Uma, OO (the new Italian, I'm working on learning the name!) and Tastes, but 2 different times each night, 6 and 7:30, at Waterside. The specialties, I think you do sign up in advance, but Waterside, you just show up. I'll be on a week from Saturday and will know for sure then.

I was just having a conversation with a friend referring to it as OO as well. Goes so well with UU. 

• Like 3

Keith, Thanks for posting the more readable Osteria d’Ovidio menu - much appreciated. If you get a minute can you please ask about the Live Views and Panomax. Again thank you so much - we all know so much more about Crystal “enhanced” since you boarded the ship! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Yes, as to Umi Uma, OO

I like calling the Italian place OO as well!

Oo is the word for "yes" in Tagalog......perfect for the restaurant name! 

Question:  "Do you want to have Italian food for dinner tonight?"    

Answer:     "OO"

~Nancy

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

Keith,

It is a new system.  It  is the one you are thinking of.  The glass bottles are in the dining venues.  

Our rooms do not have the bottles. We have water bottles that are purchased with screw tops.

Keith

6 hours ago, happy cruising said:

Keith, Thanks for posting the more readable Osteria d’Ovidio menu - much appreciated. If you get a minute can you please ask about the Live Views and Panomax. Again thank you so much - we all know so much more about Crystal “enhanced” since you boarded the ship! 

I will try. I have so many questions that people ask that it is often hard to keep track of them.  Right now I am sure the focus is on a lot of other it and new system items but I will try to see.

Keith

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have asked a zillion times how to pronounce Osteria d"Ovidio and when they do I forget. But I am the person who can't pronounce the port of Rome so I say the port for Rome.

Oh well.

Keith

My brother took Italian so he could learn from Italian chefs in their native tongue. 😳

He cringed when I mispronounced bruschetta, but now I’ve mastered that, as well as Civitavecchia.

Heck, how many of us were mispronuncing Gabriel Allon’s wife’s name (Chiara) in our heads until we heard somebody do it correctly?

I’m often curious about the number of syllables. Port of Rome: six; Oceania: four; new name of Italian restaurant on Crystal: nine. No wonder we can’t pronounce it!

Or is it eight?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We've enjoyed another great 24 hours on-board Crystal Serenity.

For dinner we dined at Umi Uma. We have enjoyed Nobu cuisine since the time we boarded Serenity in 2005.  We remember back then and over the next few years that some guests were reluctant to go thinking everything served was Sashimi and some didn't know what to order. On occasion some would ask if they could join us for dinner there so we could help guide them through the menu.  In time, most guests would dine there and realize there was a great variety of items to choose from the menu.

I was first exposed to sushi and sashimi on Crystal Harmony and also on a business trip to Tokyo where he just gave it all a try.  

Our return to Umi Uma was amazing.  The food was better than ever.  The entire wait staff and sommelier team has returned except for only one waiter.  We were in the best of hands between Head Waiter Sigi, Waiter Renato and Sommelier Adrian and when it became busy Ruel helped out as well.

Last night's featured entertainment was appropriately Marco Romano an accomplished Italian Vocalist. In addition, there were many other options including two showings of the movie Moving On, dancing to live music, music in the Crystal Cove including pianist Stephen Roberts , Violinist Nadi Matlunina and  guitarist Carlos Rayan who we have known since World Cruise 2019, The Avenue Saloon featured pianist and singer Joel Spree and a Karaoke Party in Pulse with DJ Emotion.

After enjoying breakfast and walking we took the tender over to Calvi Corsica, France.  The weather was overcast, breezy making it feel cool with very little humidity. Unlike yesterday, the sea swells were relatively calm. This was the first time Anne Marie was in a tender since 2019 as we didn't get off the tenders on all of the Bahama Salinas.  However, she was in zodiacs several times when we sailed Endeavor circumnavigating Iceland.

We enjoyed walking around the town.  It's mainly restaurant, cafes, shops, small hotels along with a few places to visit.  It was nice just to take in the sites and smell the roses. We ended up speaking with Avenue Saloon Pianist/Vocalist Joel Spire and his lovely wife.

After enjoying a wonderful lunch I IMG_2472.jpeg.d165ec1a6172aeebbf218567e1a30ebc.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg.5d99ea8fa52e82216a4b3cdd08e6a2ea.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg.ac93e4ec360c31af2c47211c699afe2e.jpeg

IMG_2362.jpeg.5f2cc58d658c297d55b1c20d401c4f9b.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg.6c266ccb4b5b6706df547d2d18145f3a.jpeg

IMG_2473.jpeg.e8efc68f39f18c141db8455035825fa9.jpeg

IMG_2475.jpeg.ca4f9f737ca5f1572e2deb308e634cb4.jpeg

IMG_2474.jpeg.a1ef7e5ea8a7a1e4d96cbaef5de18183.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg.a2c831a4f427e8c52711c734f5829802.jpeg

IMG_24792.jpeg.d82afb3f72e279bb9a9eee075918a343.jpeg

IMG_24822.jpeg.0b7f468d0790c9be037f837fb7d1b17b.jpeg

IMG_24842.jpeg.7fc35aed83129657a25db79f497a6ea9.jpeg

returned to playing Paddle Tennis while Anne Marie enjoyed a IMG_24852.jpeg.d43d98667d74c1901e6d67b2e3fbdc0c.jpegIMG_24873.jpeg.46ce89a39b14a305413ba5a622a023da.jpegIMG_24882.jpeg.27544986d6484ba00a2b219d3ab249f6.jpegIMG_24892.jpeg.f1c65cef88b75f732c549b234c4d2078.jpegIMG_24912.jpeg.e81ec12d15fef5bd29cb8b2c5331367e.jpegIMG_25022.jpeg.6c98c8a539c317f31195efd62492e746.jpegIMG_25142.jpeg.ca2898574cfa3e91f698c4782aa22f74.jpegnice walk on the Promenade Deck and we enjoyed time talking to fellow guests and crew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Heck, how many of us were mispronuncing Gabriel Allon’s wife’s name (Chiara) in our heads until we heard somebody do it correctly?

I was given a great piece of advice from someone long ago (and have seen it around the internet since).

Don't be upset when someone mispronounces a word.  It shows they learned the word through READING.

Which is a lost art nowadays.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I was given a great piece of advice from someone long ago (and have seen it around the internet since).

Don't be upset when someone mispronounces a word.  It shows they learned the word through READING.

Which is a lost art nowadays.

My mother-in-law was the perfect example. She was a bit hard of hearing, as well. She didn’t go far in school but she read the NYT every night!

The word she mispronunced best was iron. I guess she read it on the side of the box as a newlywed in around 1935.

Thx, FlyerTalker, for the great post.

• Like 1