WOTS.. Reservations to sit at the bar @ Mason Jar?

3 minutes ago, surfjock27 said:

On WOTS next week, for the first time. 

I understand we need reservations to eat at Mason Jar, but do we need a reservation to sit at the bar, have a drink and enjoy the music? 

Thanks in advance. 

No reservations required (or available) for the bar. It gets very busy but if there are no seats left and the restaurant isn’t full they’ll let you move chairs out into the bar.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Thanks 1

We found the Mason Jar bar to be very crowded when the band was playing.  Either go early to find a good seat or do what we did and enjoy the band when they did an afternoon set one day.  It was easy to get seating then and really only got full once people heard the music.   

The bar has been a huge hit. The restaurant - not so much.

I would either halve the size of the restaurant and double the size of the bar, or scrap the restaurant to make one big bar/lounge that also does a la carte food, like Playmakers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

The bar has been a huge hit. The restaurant - not so much.

I would either halve the size of the restaurant and double the size of the bar, or scrap the restaurant to make one big bar/lounge that also does a la carte food, like Playmakers.

I’m still trying to figure out why the restaurant has such mixed reviews. I’ve only had brunch there but it was one of the best meals we’ve ever had on a ship. Maybe dinner isn’t as good (although I enjoyed the dinner items we tried at brunch) or it’s just the subjective nature of food opinions. We plan to have brunch there on every future Wonder/Utopia sailing we book (or already have).

Agree about the band & bar being a hit. I only popped in to grab a drink to go but it was packed. Band was great during brunch & even took a request from my 9 year old niece then came by our table when they finished their set.

Tip: Feel free to ask them to play non-country if so inclined. I’ve heard some funny stories.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I’m still trying to figure out why the restaurant has such mixed reviews. I’ve only had brunch there but it was one of the best meals we’ve ever had on a ship. Maybe dinner isn’t as good (although I enjoyed the dinner items we tried at brunch) or it’s just the subjective nature of food opinions. We plan to have brunch there on every future Wonder/Utopia sailing we book (or already have).

Agree about the band & bar being a hit. I only popped in to grab a drink to go but it was packed. Band was great during brunch & even took a request from my 9 year old niece then came by our table when they finished their set.

Tip: Feel free to ask them to play non-country if so inclined. I’ve heard some funny stories.

Yes, I’ve heard good things about brunch. I’ve only had dinner there and found the food dry and stodgy. But you’re right, food is subjective.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Like you said food is subjective, but 6 of us went to dinner at Mason Jar the first time I cruised on Wonder and all of us were in agreement that the food was mediocre at best. Maybe the food has gotten better recently, but I did not go there again the next two times I cruised on Wonder. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Like you said food is subjective, but 6 of us went to dinner at Mason Jar the first time I cruised on Wonder and all of us were in agreement that the food was mediocre at best. Maybe the food has gotten better recently, but I did not go there again the next two times I cruised on Wonder. 

Insignificantly small subjective sample size, of course, but it could be that brunch is much better than dinner. When our extended family had brunch last month, my wife and I were thinking it was a test run for future cruises when it's just us and we traditionally only do specialty for a couple dinners, never lunch. She tried stuff she would order at dinner (she's very picky, doesn't really eat BBQ) while I'll eat almost anything. I loved some of the breakfasty items and she said she'd happily eat her items at lunch for half the price so we switched plans to stick with brunch (based on that experience, not because of reviews).

I agree that if you want to see the band you need to get their early. Especially to grab a seat at the bar.  the food in the restaurant was not good in my opinion. It's a great concept but the food was underwhelming, and we ate there three times.

25 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

Hi, I checked the WOTS deck plans and I do not see any area labeled "Mason Jar." Can someone tell me what deck it is on and the general location.

Thanks, Joe. 

Deck 15, starboard before Windjammer

10 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Agreed, had the brunch this morning; was the most enjoyable meal I have had onboard for years. 

• Like 1