future cruise credit

Knickearth

Future cruise deposit(s) while on board a cruise cost $100 each. Each FCD has a unique number which is shown on the letter from Princess and in your Captain's Circle account. Depending on when these deposits were purchased they have different expiration dates. Future cruise deposits can be used to make a full deposit almost any cruise, except world voyages. When used to make a deposit an amount of OBC is applied to your account. The amount depends on cabin category and length of cruise.

Future cruise credits are usually provided by Princess in situations where there is some unavoidable mishap such as cancelled sailings, shortened sailings and many other reasons. These credits can be used to pay any portion of a cruise, but do not come with OBC. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Knickearth said:

Iam possibly losing it, but I was under  the  impression that when we use future cruise credits to put the deposit on a cruise, that we get some form of shipboard credit.  Is  this so or not.  Thanks

If you use a FCD (future cruise deposit) to pay for the deposit on a cruise there is OBC included (varies depending upon cabin type and cruise length).  If you apply an FCD to an already booked cruise then no OBC only the value of the FCD.

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

If you use a FCD (future cruise deposit) to pay for the deposit on a cruise there is OBC included (varies depending upon cabin type and cruise length).  If you apply an FCD to an already booked cruise then no OBC only the value of the FCD.

When I have booked with my travel agency and used their online booking engine, it does not have the ability to apply a FCD. I pay the deposit with my credit card and then when the office is open, I call and the agent is able to apply a FCD and I receive the associated OBC. So, yes I will have $200 in total paid as deposit. @ldtr, you have been misinformed. I have even been able to apply a FCD to a sailing after I have made final payment, it results in an overpayment and I get it back as a credit to my credit card AND I receive the OBC for using a FCD.

Edited by wallyj

15 hours ago, ldtr said:

and the latest and greatest…

You can not apply a FCDeposit to the 50% on board promotions. 

10 hours ago, wallyj said:

When I have booked with my travel agency and used their online booking engine, it does not have the ability to apply a FCD. I pay the deposit with my credit card and then when the office is open, I call and the agent is able to apply a FCD and I receive the associated OBC. So, yes I will have $200 in total paid as deposit. @ldtr, you have been misinformed. I have even been able to apply a FCD to a sailing after I have made final payment, it results in an overpayment and I get it back as a credit to my credit card AND I receive the OBC for using a FCD.

Are you US or non  US?

Your situation seems somewhat unique from what I have experienced.

Booking directly with Princess no OBC adding after initial deposit.

Booking with PVP no OBC when adding after original deposit

3 different TAs no OBC when added after original deposit

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Are you US or non  US?

Your situation seems somewhat unique from what I have experienced.

Booking directly with Princess no OBC adding after initial deposit.

Booking with PVP no OBC when adding after original deposit

3 different TAs no OBC when added after original deposit

I'll have to clarify with my PVP but he just convinced me to put down a deposit for October 2024, anticipating using FCD's that I plan to purchase on board in a few months, which he says he can then apply to the October 2024 booking and return my original deposit (if I want). 

There would be zero reason to do this if I didn't get the OBC.  I guess I didn't technically ask at that point in the conversation for final and explicit confirmation that I would still get the OBC when he backdated the FCD application, but I got the impression that was implied since it would be a useless exercise otherwise and when I originally brought it up I had made a comment something like "it would be silly to leave the OBC behind", but I'll verify.....

Edit: I am US based.

Edited by PMGS247

@ldtr, I am US and have been able to get the FCD OBC even if I already have a deposit or have made final payment. Before final, the TA does not need to call Princess, they should be able to do with the ‘polar’ booking tool. After final, they need to call Princess, Recently, for a booking after final and paid in full, my TA got a Princess rep that said ‘No’, you cannot do, she called again and got a rep who said ‘yes’ I know how to do and will do for you. Are your FCD acquired dates ‘before’ your cruise booking date? 

@PMGS247, Princess a long time ago(over 8yrs?) would backdate FCD acquisition date so you could use if you booked a sailing then bought FCD’s on a later sailing. I know of 2 recents situations where a passenger had a booking and tried to then apply FCD’s and Princess denied because the FCD acquired date was AFTER the cruise booking date. Maybe your PVP is willing to ‘backdate’ your new FCD’s, but I got the impression Princess is not allowing this anymore. 

My suggestion would be to ask someone you know who is currently or will be on a Princess ship soon to purchase FCD’s for you. They will have to pay, but they can buy for you, supply your Captain circle number, birthdate, name,  address and phone number for additional identity verification. I just did this for my sisters friend and have done for family members many times as I sail more often. Once they have purchased your FCD, then book your 2024 sailing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@PMGS247, Princess a long time ago(over 8yrs?) would backdate FCD acquisition date so you could use if you booked a sailing then bought FCD’s on a later sailing. I know of 2 recents situations where a passenger had a booking and tried to then apply FCD’s and Princess denied because the FCD acquired date was AFTER the cruise booking date. Maybe your PVP is willing to ‘backdate’ your new FCD’s, but I got the impression Princess is not allowing this anymore. 

Interesting. Backdating is exactly the term my PVP used last week when he said he could do this.  We'll see, I suppose.  Based on what you say here I'm not going to e-mail him about it like I had planned. If he's doing something slightly outside the lines then I don't need to make him send it in an e-mail.  Next time I speak to him I'll ask though.  If when I get back from my sailing in a few months and call him to apply the FCD and he indicates that I will not get my OBC, then I won't be impressed, but seems like I could just cancel and rebook at that point (the cruise will still be barely less than 12 months away), assuming in doing so that the cost of my cruise hasn't gone up by more than my OBC.

Edited by PMGS247

20 minutes ago, wallyj said:

My suggestion would be to ask someone you know who is currently or will be on a Princess ship soon to purchase FCD’s for you. They will have to pay, but they can buy for you, supply your Captain circle number, birthdate, name,  address and phone number for additional identity verification. I just did this for my sisters friend and have done for family members many times as I sail more often. Once they have purchased your FCD, then book your 2024 sailing.

This is really interesting, I'd never thought about the fact that you could do this.  I don't know anyone sailing so if I really wanted to put in the effort I could probably prowl the boards and roll calls and find someone willing to do it for me with a venmo or paypal, but doesn't seem worth all that effort.  I like the outside the box thinking though!

1 hour ago, PMGS247 said:

I'll have to clarify with my PVP but he just convinced me to put down a deposit for October 2024, anticipating using FCD's that I plan to purchase on board in a few months, which he says he can then apply to the October 2024 booking and return my original deposit (if I want). 

There would be zero reason to do this if I didn't get the OBC.  I guess I didn't technically ask at that point in the conversation for final and explicit confirmation that I would still get the OBC when he backdated the FCD application, but I got the impression that was implied since it would be a useless exercise otherwise and when I originally brought it up I had made a comment something like "it would be silly to leave the OBC behind", but I'll verify.....

Edit: I am US based.

I ran into this last year when I ran out of FCDs (I usually have 5 or 6 of them).  Called around to 3 different TA's, tried Princess direct and tried my PVP.  The answer I got from all was once booked I could apply the FCD but no OBC if not used for initial deposit.  Possible it may have changed since last year.  I have not looked into it since I restocked with FCDs.  I do know that the one cruise that I still have without an FCD applied will not give OBC when I tried to apply one before final payment date.

49 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@ldtr, I am US and have been able to get the FCD OBC even if I already have a deposit or have made final payment. Before final, the TA does not need to call Princess, they should be able to do with the ‘polar’ booking tool. After final, they need to call Princess, Recently, for a booking after final and paid in full, my TA got a Princess rep that said ‘No’, you cannot do, she called again and got a rep who said ‘yes’ I know how to do and will do for you. Are your FCD acquired dates ‘before’ your cruise booking date? 

In my case the bookings were made when I was out of FCDs

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

In my case the bookings were made when I was out of FCDs

So I think your situation is trying to apply a FCD that has an acquired date ‘after’ your booking date, which I posted earlier, Princess seems to no longer willing to ‘back date’.

In my cases, I am applying a FCD that has an acquire date ‘before’ the cruise booking date, like when I use my TA’s booking engine that does not allow me to apply a FCD and or their office is closed on the weekend or after hours.

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, Guest ldtr said:

Does anyone have the breakdown for the OBC you get when using a FCD?

Im looking at a 16 day Panamal cruise in either an inside or balcony. 

I don’t currently have an FCD but could purchase in January. 

23 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

Does anyone have the breakdown for the OBC you get when using a FCD?

Im looking at a 16 day Panamal cruise in either an inside or balcony. 

I don’t currently have an FCD but could purchase in January. 

It's usually $150 for each $100 of FCD, but I think it actually varies depending on a number of factors such as what promotion may be offered at the time of booking.