Is Celebrity going to Eliminate Butlers on Sky and Celebrity Suites?

terrydtx

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Do you book the specialty restaurants once on board?  I ask because we book pre cruise so the charge is paid ahead of time so we never see a check to sign. 

Depends on what class of room we are in. If we are in an all inclusive we do it on board knowing they hold time slots for upper class suites. If we are some other class of suite then we book in advance knowing that there will not be any good time slots left once we are on board.

When booking in advance there is a discount, since we are elite plus we have to work to get the larger discount and have our account credited with the difference.

2 hours ago, Joker54 said:

I just don't see how its possible for 8 or 10 different individuals to learn the things we enjoy on day one or if at all the same way a dedicated butler did.

I would hope that, even before this change, they were already using constituent management software to record everyone's preferences. In which case, anyone on the team can pull up your record on their phone. That would be smart business practice in this day and age, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's what's happening.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, acrane said:

I would hope that, even before this change, they were already using constituent management software to record everyone's preferences. In which case, anyone on the team can pull up your record on their phone. That would be smart business practice in this day and age, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's what's happening.

Our last cruise was on the Silhouette this past May and the Apex the month before. Butlers were still using hand written notes. 

Even with the software they would need to be setting alarms so they would know who expects a cheese or fruit plate at what time and so on. Management software may help but it still wont be the same experience

Well at the very least with this Butler change discussion, Celebrity has deflected the Vaping discussion.  Maybe they need to hire more assistants in the executive offices (former butlers?😀) to answer all the emails from upset Celebrity customers as the unannounced changes just keep piling on.  No way to run a consumer-facing business!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Joker54 said:

Our last cruise was on the Silhouette this past May and the Apex the month before. Butlers were still using hand written notes. 

Even with the software they would need to be setting alarms so they would know who expects a cheese or fruit plate at what time and so on. Management software may help but it still wont be the same experience

I wonder if they will go along the more generic route? For example, they will deliver an afternoon snack but it will be the same for all, no option to ask for a cheese plate one day, shrimps the next…

44 minutes ago, hcat said:

our next  2 and only Celeb bookings have pre paid grats in our fare.

increases will backfire as folks won't hand out  as much of a cash bonus.

That only penalizes the employee/associate - has no impact on the cruise line at all.

You are correct - many will tip less. We no longer leave additional tips at the spa except for really above and beyond service. But we have always tipped butlers, room stewards, and wait staff. For dinners we leave a cash tip, knowing the waiter will at least get that. When we were much younger my wife was a waitress in a very upscale restaurant. We tend to be more giving to employee's who do a great job but have no control over how management runs the business.

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

Oh, agreed, just saying, some of this could be mitigated with technology if they wanted to.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The ignore feature is kind of fun. I still get to see how others react to his foolish posts. Thanks @Jim_Iain for the suggestion.

Glad you joined the club. I, too, find it entertaining to just see the reaction to his post rather than endure it when it is first posted.  😃

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I wonder if they will go along the more generic route? For example, they will deliver an afternoon snack but it will be the same for all, no option to ask for a cheese plate one day, shrimps the next…

Or they could have your team direct you to the Retreat Lounge to pick and choose your PM appetizers and then take them back to your cabin, with a drink of course. This will free up the butlers for many other less important tasks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

You are correct - many will tip less. We no longer leave additional tips at the spa except for really above and beyond service

My wife just prebooked a spa service for our upcoming  Apex cruise and a 20% gratuity was added to her booking. She will not be leaving any addition tip at the time of service.

8 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

I disagree and still go with my thoughts in post 459.

No matter how you read your post - the statement that customers book in to a sky suite to feel elitist doesn't change. It's offensive to those of us who do not book into a sky suite for that elitist feeling. You made a one size fits all statement.

Go ahead keep on trolling

Well said we book Sky Suites, not because they are entry level, but they provide all we need in the size of the cabin and the added amenities are what we like at our stage in life and travel. We never feel elitist for doing this and never flout our being in the Retreat while onboard to other non-suite passengers. We were at one time those non suite passengers and I never once resented anyone who booked a suite. I always said good for them they worked hard and can afford a little nicer level of service and vacationing. My wife and I worked hard all my life and now that we are retired I say good for us, we worked hard and deserve the nicer cruise and vacation. We also now only fly in Business class or Premium Economy for the same reasons, never flew anything but coach before we retired.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, acrane said:

Oh, agreed, just saying, some of this could be mitigated with technology if they wanted to.

I usually stay out of these threads due to the lack of unverified fluff that gets thrown as fact, but what I do know...

There is a TA call (that has been scheduled for a few weeks) the on August 15th.  

On the technology front, in early 2022 there was a suite program in beta testing for all suite categories that allowed you to text your Personal Retreat Host (as it was named at the time). There hasn't been any mention of it in a while. I do hope they would incorporate something along those lines into your access to this new team.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

I disagree and still go with my thoughts in post 459.

No matter how you read your post - the statement that customers book in to a sky suite to feel elitist doesn't change. It's offensive to those of us who do not book into a sky suite for that elitist feeling. You made a one size fits all statement.

Go ahead keep on trolling

I agree with your thoughts, however please don’t encourage them, they are doing it for sport.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Or they could have your team direct you to the Retreat Lounge to pick and choose your PM appetizers and then take them back to your cabin, with a drink of course. This will free up the butlers for many other less important tasks.

I guess the problem here is we are all trying to work out what something is going to be like without any information…

Now the cat is out of the bag I hope Celebrity puts some information on the website (and takes down the butler blurb) so Sky Suite cruisers do have an idea about what to expect once on board and how to access coffee, snacks etc. Not only would this help/prepare cruisers it would prevent ‘Team members’ needing to explain their role numerous times and reduce the possible wrath the ‘Team’,  the concierges and Suite Managers may get. As someone else said…if suite guests don’t follow social media they will get a surprise on boarding and it won’t be a pleasant one…

• Like 4

I haven't read through all the pages here and I'm sure this has been addressed. In Jan many of the same posters in this thread had very little empathy for those who were losing Free Room Service, Diminished Buffet Offerings and the limited Open Bar Options with Grand Cayman stops. This new change is why I was so supportive of those who felt robbed by those Cut Backs, I didn't personally need to eat in the buffet for dinner to know that this was a slippery slope and that Cel would eventually test the boundaries with Suite Class. I am now just as supportive to those of you who have paid for a service you feel robbed of. This isn't about a dollar figure or class level, this is about paying for what is advertised/promoted and then not receiving it, no matter how much or how little it may be. 

It's a shame that this is what cruising has come to. I have Celebrity sailings booked and I now also have booked with Princess, after many years I'm finally opening my eyes to other ships/lines. At this time so many cut backs are being made within all cruise lines that I am more focused on the destinations and port times because I still want to cruise and explore. I love being on the water. Sadly the vibe, food and amenities are non issue, they've taken a backseat in my planning. The cuts Celebrity has implemented has literally cut them from being my Go-To. 

This latest change isn't defendable, as weren't any of the others. Attacking each other and excusing Celebrity will only bring on more cuts in the future. 

Patty 

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I guess the problem here is we are all trying to work out what something is going to be like without any information…

Now the cat is out of the bag I hope Celebrity puts some information on the website (and takes down the butler blurb) so Sky Suite cruisers do have an idea about what to expect once on board and how to access coffee, snacks etc. Not only would this help/prepare cruisers it would prevent ‘Team members’ needing to explain their role numerous times and reduce the possible wrath the ‘Team’,  the concierges and Suite Managers may get. As someone else said…if suite guests don’t follow social media they will get a surprise on boarding and it won’t be a pleasant one…

The problem I see, Celebrity will make having a team of 8 butlers sound so good for Sky Suites, those who do not know better in higher suites will say, wait a minute I want 8 butlers too.  As others have said if it is such a great idea and improvement why hasn't it been made for all suites?

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Looks like we picked the wrong time to start cruising with Celebrity! We go on our first Celebrity cruise in September to Alaska. And of course, we booked a Sunset Sky Suite. So, there's no possibility of cancelling because we're less than 40 days out.

That said, I have a feeling we would not have used the butler service the way many others do. We are very much "DIY" people. We booked a corner aft suite mainly for the views. I know many people talk about never using their balcony, but we do. Often. In fact, one thing I'd really like is for more of these types of cabins to be available outside of the Retreat. But then why do that when they can advertise the Retreat experience and get people to pay $$$$ and then remove services bit by bit...   Like many, regardless of whether I would use the service, I absolutely have an issue with being charged for an inclusive experience that, at the time we booked and then again at the time we were required to pay, included a service that is being discontinued.

I suspect, from a business perspective, that maybe it was done this way to ensure they kept butlers on staff until the decision was made public. If they announced on July 1st that starting with any August sailings and beyond, sky suites would not have butlers, would that not have possibly affected staff who would have essentially been given advanced notice of their termination? I don't know what a typical staff contract looks like and who can terminate when, but if they can break their contracts, now Celebrity has an immediate staffing issue if X percent of them decide to leave before August.

As far as what someone posted on the previous page about receiving an email touting the personal butler service, that's something I've noticed over and over with Celebrity. I still don't understand why, on the website, if I'm in my reservation and have a Retreat suite, Celebrity is offering me drink and other packages that I have no use for. The system should at least tailor the offerings to the booking I have. If I was a cynical person, I might even suspect they hope I buy a package I don't need...

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

But they don't. 

The next cruise the cabins have different occupants, and the extra load is elsewhere. Over time, that is spread across all the staff, just as in the 'team' concept.

It's not as though the 'demanding guests' are only ever taking the same cabins/certain butlers.

Thank you for making my point. Celebrity doesn’t want to wait a year to balance the workload over time they want the workload balanced to the best of their ability during each cruise. Hence the reduction in the number of butlers required when they use a team concept. 

28 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Well said we book Sky Suites, not because they are entry level, but they provide all we need in the size of the cabin and the added amenities are what we like at our stage in life and travel. 

We are in the same boat, but would like a larger bathroom...we booked a CS on our first X cruise and when we saw a video of the cabin, DH told me to change the cabin because the bedroom didn't allow you to view the ocean since we like to watch tv on the bed and the actual bedroom felt like an interior cabin. We like the open floor plan the SS offers.  I wish X would design some larger open floor plan suites like our favorite ones on RCCL (Owners & Grand) and Princess (Penthouse).  Until then, we book a SS and will have to live with the changes. We don't use our butler that much...but it's nice when we do.  

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 2

We have ceased booking further Celebrity Cruises until this and the vape items are known.  Will cruise DCL in between.  The cost/uncertainty ratio makes the counter-party risk taking unwarranted. Have 5 suite cruises booked currently.

I'm going to do a wait and see on this one.  Next cruise is on the Flora, so I don't expect much impact (really different type of cruise).  Then I have 3 more booked all in sky suites.  After the Galapagos one, the next is not until June 2024.  Depending on how this "team" thing shakes out, I will see.  If they take away other things, like the Retreat lounge and Luminae, I may be out.  We did not really care for the CS, and CS or SS prices are about as high as I am willing to pay on Celebrity.  I am thinking the "Team" in theory, could work - if they had the correct number of butlers, and a good customer relationship management system in place, they could run this properly.  I think what will harm them is it sounds like they have let too many people go.  I don't see how they could manage it without the correct number of butler personnel.  We never really utilized their services other than having some coffee, that was of course at a peak time (morning) and we really never had to wait long.  Maybe the "team" is simply regular room service?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bnurick said:

We have ceased booking further Celebrity Cruises until this and the vape items are known.  Will cruise DCL in between.  The cost/uncertainty ratio makes the counter-party risk taking unwarranted. Have 5 suite cruises booked currently.

We had already made the decision to quit booking Celebrity after our 2 Australian cruises in January in SS. The current outrageous Sky Suite pricing has made real premium cruise lines like Oceania and Viking Ocean much more competitive, add in the change in Butler service and that makes them even closer. Our 2 January Edge cruises in Australia in a SS now cost $4000pp more than we booked back in early 2022. I would not have paid the $4000 more when I could have booked a Viking Ocean cruise for the same amount or less.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Lots of lurking... so I guess I should comment too. 

1st, we only book suites when travelling on Celebrity. It isn't "elitist" but we enjoy The Retreat and are there A LOT. Same for the Retreat Sun Deck (only ships we sail). Typically we book Sky or Celebrity Suites. We want to dine in Luminae and not the MDR. I hope that is not elitist, but it is how we travel. I would never turn my nose up to other travelers not in a suite (and enjoy the interaction).That just seems absurd to blanket call us all elitist... 

2nd, after cruising started post-pandemic, we were on one of the 1st Apex sailings from Greece. The ship was 1/3 full. We spent a lot of time speaking with our Sunset Sky Suite butler. (He was a sweetheart!) He had just joined the Apex to work with his wife, and was therefore "low butler on the totem pole."  Assigned the Sky Suites at the rear corners on decks 7 - 10, plus a few others on the ship. Celebrity ran him ragged being so spread out. There is a possible job satisfaction / retention issue with Sky Suite butlers if they are meant to carry a larger number of rooms plus all over the ship. They could be doing this to ease/equal the loads. 

3rd, I am disappointed and will see how it all works out on our next Celebrity cruise this December... 

• Like 2