Casual Dining - Fixed Price Menus and A La Carte Charges

dides

On our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess we tried both Planks and Steamers.  Both venue's were very busy and fully reserved early in the cruise unless you wanted to dine at 8 p.m.  Diners were not seated at all tables because there were only 3 waiters and 1 assistant.  The same staff worked both options as Steamers and Planks were open on alternative days.  We found the food and service to be very good at both restaurants.  I did note that the plank entree at Planks included your choice of 2 meats (not 3 as shown in an older menu on this thread).  The plank was huge and the meat portions generous.  The steam pot at Steamers was large and try as I might I could not finish it.  We would definitely go to both of these casual dining options again and even if we didn't have the plus package I personally felt it was worth the $14.99 upcharge.

• Thanks 2

On 11/9/2023 at 8:56 AM, chamima said:

We're currently on the Sapphire.

Vines has changed it's casual dining option to a Sushi Platter available from 12 - 1:30.

I had it last week. It was wonderful!!!

8 pieces of spicy tuna roll, 2 tuna sashimi, 2 salmon sashimi, small bowl of seaweed salad, small bowl of (really delicious!) edamame, small bowl of pickled vegetables and a shrimp sashimi.

It was a large lunch but I plan to have it again and wouldn't mind paying the $14.99 even after our included meals are used.

Hi @chamima, i am being a little picky in terminology. See post #274 and I believe that is the the menu that they are serving at Vines for sushi on the Sapphire or very similar.

What you were served is NOT called sashimi as that is usually just a raw protein without rice, what you called sashimi,  is called ‘nigiri’ which is usually a protein or item on top of a rice ball.

FYI, on the my Discovery sailing last month, I was able to customize my nigiri selection, one time I requested all shrimp,  another time, as I do not care for salmon, 3 shrimp and 2 tuna nigiri.

Guest Michael4650
16 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Hi @chamima, i am being a little picky in terminology. See post #274 and I believe that is the the menu that they are serving at Vines for sushi on the Sapphire or very similar.

What you were served is NOT called sashimi as that is usually just a raw protein without rice, what you called sashimi,  is called ‘nigiri’ which is usually a protein or item on top of a rice ball.

FYI, on the my Discovery sailing last month, I was able to customize my nigiri selection, one time I requested all shrimp,  another time, as I do not care for salmon, 3 shrimp and 2 tuna nigiri.

To me sashimi has also been raw fish no seaweed wrap 

Embarkation night was Planks, second night was Steamers.  I'm not sure I'd recommend the way I got the reservations.  At noon on embarkation day I went up to Steamers and spoke to two waiters who told me to call the dine line.  I explained the dine line doesn't answer so they tried and no answer.  Just then a manager arrived and was told my issue.  He proceeded to call direct lines that we passengers don't know and after about 7 tries he got someone on the phone that took my reservation.

I heard on a different post of someone that went to the Planks desk when they opened at 5 p.m. and made reservations that way.  I think I will give that a try on my next cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

My husband and I are scheduled for the Ruby Princess in September.  First time on Princess.

We've only been on two other cruises, Norwegian and Celebrity.  Both of those cruise ships had free dining or Specialty Dining.  It was simple, you either paid or you didn't.  Now there is this prix-fixe dining menu, Plus and Premier, which is just confusing to me.

I think I'm finally getting it.  But I'm confused on the International Cafe and Coffee and Cones.  Are those included in Plus or not? 

I understand Premium can get unlimited desserts from Coffee and Cones, right?

And what about people who don't have either Plus or Premium.  Is anything "free" for those folks at these two places?  

Thanks for clarifying.

3 minutes ago, kentgal said:

My husband and I are scheduled for the Ruby Princess in September.  First time on Princess.

We've only been on two other cruises, Norwegian and Celebrity.  Both of those cruise ships had free dining or Specialty Dining.  It was simple, you either paid or you didn't.  Now there is this prix-fixe dining menu, Plus and Premier, which is just confusing to me.

I think I'm finally getting it.  But I'm confused on the International Cafe and Coffee and Cones.  Are those included in Plus or not? 

I understand Premium can get unlimited desserts from Coffee and Cones, right?

And what about people who don't have either Plus or Premium.  Is anything "free" for those folks at these two places?  

Thanks for clarifying.

IC is free.  Buffet is free MDR is free and open for breakfast and dinner every day and lunch on sea days. Soft serve ice cream is free. 

Thank you, I appreciate your response.

So IC (International Cafe) is free?  Free for everyone?  No restrictions at all?  

What about Coffee and Cones?  Also totally free for everyone?  

Where are the premium desserts served? 

23 hours ago, kentgal said:

So IC (International Cafe) is free?  Free for everyone?  No restrictions at all?  

I *know* that the delicious specialty coffees and teas in the IC are priced per item if you don’t have a beverage package, but these are included/unlimited with the Plus/Premier packages.
I *think* that the vast majority of the food items in IC are free 24/7 for everyone. 
I’ve *heard* that there are a few priced food items including yummy-looking pieces of cake that do qualify as a Specialty Dessert under the Plus/Premier packages and thus no additional charge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

I *know* that the delicious specialty coffees and teas in the IC are priced per item if you don’t have a beverage package, but these are included/unlimited with the Plus/Premier packages.
I *think* that the vast majority of the food items in IC are free 24/7 for everyone. 
I’ve *heard* that there are a few priced food items including yummy-looking pieces of cake that do qualify as a Specialty Dessert under the Plus/Premier packages and thus no additional charge. 

Ellipooh - 

Thank you!  I appreciate your response.  This is very helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

The following statements are based on a cruise on the Carribean Princess last year with Premier. I only *know* what happened on my cruise - I *think* it would be the same on other cruises on other ships.

I *know* that your first statement was correct.

I *know* that your second statement was also correct on my cruise.

I *know* that there were few cakes in the IC that are included under Plus (2 per person per day)/Premier(unlimited) but would cost extra without the packages. Note that even though we had Premier, there was no way we would eat more than one of these cakes each per day. The serving was very large - large enough for two people. When I took the cake from the IC to a table, no one complained when I shared it with DW.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Maybe a dumb question, never cruised with Princess before. Say if you’ve exceeded the allowed prefix menu items per person, would it be safe to assume that the additional items will be charged a la carte? 

Edited by Atomic2024
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Atomic2024 said:

Maybe a dumb question, never cruised with Princess before. Say if you’ve exceeded the allowed prefix menu items per person, would it be safe to assume that the additional items will be charged a la carte? 

Yes. But you most likely will not exceed the menu. 

• Thanks 1